Start by marking “Lajka” as Want to Read:
Lajka

Lajka

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,564 Ratings  ·  585 Reviews
Lajka je napuštena kujica čija je sudbina bila postati Zemljin prvi svemirski putnik. Ovo je priča o njezinu putovanju. Nick Abadzis majstorski spaja fikciju i činjenice u priči o tri isprepletene sudbine. Uz Lajku tu je i Koroljov, nekadašnji politički zatvorenik, poslije predan inženjer na vrhu sovjetskog svemirskog programa, i Jelena, laboratorijska tehničarka odgovorna ...more
Published 2011 by Fibra (first published September 1st 2007)

Melki
Scarlett
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
“Work with animals is a source of suffering to all of us. We treat them like babies who cannot speak. The more time passes, the more I’m sorry about it. We did not learn enough from the mission to justify the death of the dog.” -Oleg Georgivitch Gazenko, 1998

If you think this is just another sad dog story…don’t bother to read on.

This graphic novel is about a man that escaped the Gulag, a little dog that is caught on the streets of Moscow, and Sputnik II, the second Soviet Satellite that was la
Betsy
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead dog books used to be a dime a dozen. Time was a kid couldn’t walk into a bookstore without getting whacked over the head with “Old Yeller”, creamed in the kisser by “Sounder”, and roughed up royally by “Where the Red Fern Grows”. Recently, however, dogs don’t die as often as all that. You could probably concoct some magnificent sociological explanation for this, citing changes in the political and emotional landscape of our great nation leading to the decrease in deceased literary pups, but ...more
Orbi Alter
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: strip
3,3
Lijepa prica o Lajki i njenom jednosmjernom putovanju u svemir. Svida mi se nacin na koji ispreplice fikciju i cinjenice i kako su sve sudbine nekako povezane. Sam zavrsetak je melankolican zbog tragike, ali najveci dio stripa me ostavio ravnodusnom.
Nekako mi zao da ovo nije ruski strip. Vjerovala bih toj atmosferi. Ovako je sve to stereotipna percepcija koja me zivcira i koju jedino izvlaci koliko toliko korektan crtez (premda nije moja salica caja).

Mjesec je u znacajnoj ulozi i iskakao je c
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Books with dogs tend to manipulate. That’s just the nature of the literary and cinematic landscape. Old Yeller. Where the Red Fern Grows. Homeward Bound. It’s like a rule. And rather than subvert this, LAIKA‘s pretty up front about the fact that it will in no way deviate from the script. It relishes in its formulaic, heart-melting prison of manipulation and contrivance.

Really, unless you’re a fan of being manipulated, the book’s only saving graces are that it offers an eye into Russia’s Cold War
Cindy
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let's get two things out of the way. One, this is a graphic novel. Two, this is a dead dog book. The latter's not a spoiler--we're all reasonably intelligent people, we've heard of the Sputnik program even if we weren't around to personally witness its impact on the world. The dog dies, okay? That's not an acceptable reason to give this book a pass. (I'm talking to you, Ruth.) As for the former, well, if you're going to read one graphic novel this year, make it this one.

This is a tremendo
Dov Zeller
A lot of people complain about the manipulative nature of humans writing about canines who will die in the course of a story.

And some people openly admit that they appreciate the particular kind of pain that comes from these "dying dog" books.

But "Laika" is not, I do not think, a book that sets out to use Laika for emotionally manipulative purposes. On the contrary, the author makes it clear she's already been used enough (used to death) and Abadzis instead sets out to complicate and dignify t
Greta
This graphic novel is the fictionalized story of the first living creature in space, the dog Laika.

The author, Nick Abadzis, has done exhaustive research for his book.

However, there was no way to know what Laika's life was as a stray dog, so the first quarter of the book, dealing with this, is entirely fiction.

The story becomes more interesting and fact-based after Laika's capture by a dogcatcher and delivery to the Russian institute of Aviation Medicine.
It offers an eye into the rigorous tr
Jessica
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
poor puppy

I'm not crying, you're crying!
Negativni
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lajka je strip o sudbini istoimenog psa, prve životinje koja je bila u Zemljinoj orbiti.

Abadzis isprepliće stvarne događaje sa fiktivnima, pa pratimo Lajku od neželjenog šteneta do njezinog povijesnog leta 3. rujna, 1957. u sovjetskom Sputniku 2. Dio o odrastanju je fiktivan, prožet mistikom i elementima fantastike - na primjer njezini snovi o letenju, kao projekcije naših snova o putovanju u svemir - lijepo je isprepletan sa povijesnim događajima i stvarnim činjenicama.

Strip je zanimljiv i auto
Amber
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphics
i knew what would happen and i still read it. it was worth it but dang.
Claire
When I started working in a schoool, I thought that my strong immune system would keep me healthy even though all first-year teachers spend the whole year sick from new germs. Was I right? Not at all. It was the same with Laika. I knew that everybody else cried when they read this book, but I thought that somehow I'd be prepared, not that I'd find myself bawling into a bowl of pho on Clement St. And yet.

Laika is the story of the first dog to go up in space. It's not a spoiler to tell you that s
Alex Sarll
Oh, that poor pup. Two topics that reliably get me welling up; dogs in peril, and memories of the space age. So when Korolev tells Laika "You will fly further and longer and higher than any living being from this Earth ever has", it doesn't matter that I'm not sure about Abadzis' art style; I'm putty. Good dog.
Cristhian
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad.
Sad.

De esta novela gráfica desconocía su existencia, me enteré gracias a la lista de best 500 graphic novels aquí en good reads. El arte no es lo importante, ya que no es brillante, pero el storytelling, la historia, damn.

Feels, man.
Jana
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
My heart is aching. I'm so sad.
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a bit of an obsession with the story of Laika, the dog the Russians sent into orbit on Sputnik 2 in 1957. As a way to capitalize on the success of Sputnik 1 a month earlier, the team was sent reeling into action to send a living being into space in time for the 40th year celebration of the Soviet Revolution. As a result, there was no time to develop a plan to get Sputnik 2 back to earth...it, and Laika ("bark" in Russian) were doomed to die in space. At the time, the world was told that t ...more
Charlie
Aug 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
(Éamon, I don't think you should read this book.) The story mostly revolves around humans, even though it's supposed to be about the first dog in space. The humans weren't as interesting to me. There's also a lot of meanness and some rather graphic violence toward the non-human characters, lots of unpleasant situations the non-humans never consented to being subjected to (like the space stuff), and all of that has left me feeling quite upset.
Hannah
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I were rating just on the way art and plot work together, it probably would have been 3 stars. But I kept crying (because of the way the dogs were affecting their caretakers), so it gets bumped up.

This would make a good classroom addition, though Laika/Kudryavka's invented backstory is presented as "just as factual" as the space program's operations (which at least had documentation).
Rachael Hobson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5

Based on a true story about sending a dog into space. This comic was beautifully done. It moved me to tears! However, there was a slight hiccup in the beginning. It was in regards to the timeline. The story started off with a flashback, flashed forward, then flashed back again. I felt it was unnecessary. If it wasn't for this hiccup, this could have easily been a five star comic.
Sylvester
And I thought "Lassie Come Home" was sad. This was a new level. I don't know that I can recommend this to dog lovers - it's just sad. I hate how helpless...ah, well, it's no use to wail about it. The artwork left a lot to be desired - must everyone be ugly?
Katie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prepared to be sad but not THIS sad.
Mahrya
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 10-Adult
Shelves: juvenilia
Abadzis, Nick. Laika, First Second, 199 pages. Graphic Novel.

Description: Laika tells the story of the Russia's Sputnik II program and the satellite's canine astronaut, Laika. The book focuses on the dog's hard early life and her bond with a trainer named Yelena.

Review: Any preconception that I had about graphic novels presenting simplistic or cartoonish stories was shattered by this book. Laika, is a complex story that focuses on the deep relationships that can be formed between humans and an
Ellie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I may have read Soviet Space Dogs only last year but Laika gives a much more emotional slant on the story. It's a mix of fact and fiction, giving her a backstory of how she became a stray and her life on the streets. For most the story, her original name is used (which means curly tail). This is interwoven with the human characters of Yelena, a fictional dog handler within the space programme, and the man who went on to become the Chief Designer.

Having read up on the subject previously, I know t
Becky B
This graphic novel fictionalized version of the story of Laika is told focusing on two people and one dog. First it focuses on Laika (originally called Kudryavka) from birth, to an unhappy adoption, to life on the streets, to life as a test dog for the Soviet space program. Secondly, it focuses on the man who designed Sputnik and Sputnik II. And thirdly, it focuses on a lady named Oleg who works for the Soviet's space program as the dog handler, who is brokenhearted when Kudryavka is chosen beca ...more
Courtney
A really good book - the ending is sad, though, especially if you like animals. I was worried I was going to start bawling at the end... Actually kind of surprised I didn't.
It's a graphic novel, a historical fiction about Laika (Kudryavka), a dog that was in the soviet space program back in the 1950s. The story shows readers how Laika was taken from being a stray dog on the steets, and became the first living creature to be launched into space. Like I said, though, it's got a sad ending - due
Jess
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers wanting a sad tail(sorry), Librarians - cold war bibliography, USSR history fiends
Recommended to Jess by: group from children's lit
Laika blends four stories: Korolev, a political prisoner turned Soviet space engineer, Yelena, a lab tech in charge of dogs, Gazenko, Soviet space scientist, and Laika nee Kudryavka, the first dog in space.

Sad but interesting read. A useful look into cold war Soviet Union--notice the way propaganda is spoken of--that students would read. My only read objection is to chapter 2, where Adabzis creates a fictional backstory of Laika. I get that he's mirroring Korolev's struggle but it's unnecessary.
Michalyn
This book broke my heart. It's difficult for me to imagine what the world was like during the Cold War and the suspicion, fear and competition that motivated it, so reading Laika was like stepping into another time.

Abadzis tells the story of Laika, the first dog to be sent into space as part of the US-Soviet race to the moon. We follow her from puppyhood all the way to her ill-fated selection as the test subject for the program. The art in the book is simple but vivid and through it we come to s
Matthew
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so sad and beautiful it just about destroyed me. Nick Abadzis does an amazing job bringing this touching story the caring and uncaring ways that people treat dogs. He is also an incredible cartoonist as well as a skilled writer.
Mallory
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew this book was going to be sad but I had no idea it was going to be THIS SAD. Like, from the very first pages. And I kept expecting it to get mildly uplifting and it never did. It was super good if you want to cry forever.
Cintia Andrade
Que coisa mais linda e delicada. <3 (Mas eu terminei de ler em prantos.)
Graphic Novel 2 13 May 24, 2014 01:59AM
  • Houdini: The Handcuff King
  • Robot Dreams
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Bookhunter
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman) (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #5)
  • The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam: An Illustrated Memoir
  • Malcolm X: A Graphic Biography
  • The United States Constitution: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
Nick Abadzis was born in Sweden to Greek and English parents and was brought up in Switzerland and England. He is a writer and artist who likes comics (which means these days he seems to be known as a “graphic novelist”). His work for both adults and children has been published in many countries across the world.

He also works as an editorial consultant and has helped set up several best-selling an
More about Nick Abadzis...
“For once, it seems there’s nothing to worry about…
… for the time being.
Of course, nothing lasts.
And why worry about that?
One must learn not to.
Every day, every moment is a frontier to a country that, once crossed, can never be returned to.
Most of the time, we don't notice.
Which is just how it should be.
The secret…
… is not to worry. […]
You can’t go back.
Although, those you leave behind…
… will still think of you.
Most of the time, we don’t notice the small, gradual changes…
… only the sudden, unexpected ones.
… But once you understand that nothing lasts…
… everything’s alright.
After all, something always comes along that changes everything.
And, once you realize this, you find that you’re no longer imprisoned by this truth…
… but freed by it.”