Start by marking “Slightly Abridged: A Nine Muses Mystery: Erato” as Want to Read:
Slightly Abridged: A Nine Muses Mystery: Erato

Slightly Abridged: A Nine Muses Mystery: Erato

(Nine Muses #2)

There's nothing like murder to cure a case of writer's block.

Regency romance writer Juliet Bodine is falling into despair. Instead of writing, she spends her days staring at the pages of her unfinished novel, fantasizing about her inevitable failure. So the arrival of an eighty-four-year-old fan with a trove of yellowing papers to show is a welcome diversion instead of the
ebook, Abridged, 288 pages
Published April 1st 2003 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Abridged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Abridged

Marfita
I was looking for something to pass the time this weekend by going over some of my Goodreads reviews and saw that I sort of liked one of Ellen Pall's mysteries. Luckily, there was one available in the same series.
Regular readers (hahaha!) of my reviews know how I feel about Romance. The main character is a Regency Romance author. Coincidentally, this was one of my late sister's favorite genres. They were short and could be read in an afternoon. What Juliet Bodine puts into hers sounds meatier.
Susan
Romance writer Juliet Bodine has a visit from an elderly fan, Ada Caffrey. But Ada isn't the dowdy older lady Juliet expected--she's still ready to kick up her heels at 84, and willing and able to manipulate people into doing what she wants. And now she wants to sell a few pages of manuscript she found that seem to be a lost section of Harriette Wilson's memoirs. Too bad that Ada is murdered before she can get her hands on the money. Since Juliet is a suspect, she calls her old friend Murray Lan ...more
Grey853
Jun 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
A famous romance novelist connects with a fan who happens to have found part of a possibly significant historical manuscript. She brings it to the author in New York. The fan is killed and the manuscript goes missing.

I'm really not sure how to describe this book other than as amateurishly written. The odd narrative choices are just too distracting. The characters aren't realistic or interesting and the pacing was incredibly sluggish.
Susan
Maybe I'm just cranky, this being the second book in a row that I gave up on. This one is about a romance writer whose elderly fan brought her a document that might be historically significant, but then the fan ends up murdered. Neither the mystery nor the romance in this book grabbed me (which is ironic since the main character, the writer, is writing a romance novel that doesn't go anywhere).
Rebecca
Enjoyable, light murder mystery. It does not dwell on the Murder or other violence.
Nihar
Apr 29, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please do not waste your time with this.
I just happened to buy it cause it was cheap.
Saida
Jul 24, 2011
GAIL
Feb 15, 2018
Katie
rated it did not like it
May 30, 2017
Bailey
Jun 28, 2013
Elvita
Aug 09, 2017
PERSONAL: Born March 28, 1952, in New York, NY; daughter of David B. (a scientist) and Josephine (an artist; maiden name, Blatt) Pall. Education: Attended University of Michigan, 1969-70; University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., 1973. Religion: Jewish.

CAREER: Teacher of French in Glendale, CA, 1974; writer, 1975--.

Currently, she's a writer of mysteries and literary novels. She also wrote Reg

Nine Muses (2 books)
  • Corpse de Ballet (Nine Muses, #1)