Start by marking “Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)

Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
For seventeen-year-old Abigail, one rash decision leads to an unexpected chance for redemption. At V'Salicus Academy, a unique institute where she trains to become an agent of heaven, she struggles with the pain of her past, the changes of the present and accepts a loveless future until her path – and heart – crosses with Basil’s.

Basil's off-chance slip of the tongue binds
Published October 8th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Neverlove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neverlove

Gwen Gardner
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to give any spoilers, but just let me say - the first chapter of Neverlove had me practically hyperventilating. It was that powerful! It was one of those screamers where you're yelling, "No! Don't do it!"

Although a young adult paranormal novel, the story deals with some very real life issues. I won't spoil it by saying what these issues are specifically, but think choices and consequences, vulnerability and strength, life and death, guilt and redemption. Evil. Love. It's these issue
Ali Cross
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First chapter and you know you're reading a paranormal romance unlike any other. First impression and I know I'm already THERE, already digging the story. Why? Because I love when an author can combine real-world problems with supernatural problems, and the main female character of NEVERLOVE is dealing with a terrible, tragic, real-world problem--which the author deals with very well.

Second impression comes when the main male character is introduced and he also has a very real, very different re
Heather McCorkle
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dark and twisty from start to finish. This is a unique look at the afterlife and what happens to souls in the next stage. It took my breath away with the first page and let me get it back. Loved it!
Julie Flanders
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Neverlove is a wonderful debut novel from Angela Brown. The main characters of Abigail and Basil are easy to root for, and both won my sympathy and affection from the beginning. The story deals with classic themes of good vs. evil and heaven vs. hell, but Brown presents a fresh take on these ideas and I found her take on the afterlife to be very creative. The story is dark and often heartbreaking, but also provides moments of humor that help to balance out the dramatic themes. Brown consistently ...more
Linda Jackson
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very entertaining. Lots of twists and turns in the plot. Really enjoyed the characters, and the writing is very impressive.
Mel
I really enjoyed this story. I thought the supernatural aspect was very interesting and quite multi-layered. I liked how even though there is some very dark and quite heartbreaking subject matter in the book, it never once felt depressing or overwhelming.

I liked the main girl, Abby, I thought she was a nice girl who had to overcome unbelievable trauma as a victim of sexual abuse and even though she let her circumstances break her once, she didn't let it happen again when she was given a second c
Jazzabella ~*~ Catherine~*~
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of Neverlove from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I always try to wait a day or so after reading a book to write a review because I like to see what I remember most about the storyline and the characters, the writing style etc because I feel as though it is going to be more honest rather then when I am totally caught up within the emotions of what happened.

From the first chapter I found myself totally drawn into the story and holding my breath waiting to see
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I tend to hold first-time authors in high esteem, especially those who take risks. Normally, I stay as far away from the paranormal genre as possible because there really isn't anything new under the sun. It seems each book is a pastiche (usally poorly executed) of others before it. However, NEVERLOVE was an amazing surprise and though it did adhere to some paranormal conventions, it was also far darker in tone and not full of sugar and fluff. I was actually thrilled at how good this book was. T ...more
Christine Fonseca
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads

4.5 stars!!!!

What a fantastic debut novel Ms. Brown has given us. She delivers well rounded characters you can relate to, and a plot that is clearly well thought out and highly developed. I particularly loved her blending of the paranormal with very real, very "human" problems. I can't wait for more from this talented author!
Carrie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I came across this book while I was searching goodreads for some new books. When I scrolled down, I saw that there was a giveaway. I entered never expecting to win; I normally just do not have that kind of luck. But I won. I do believe I squealed when my package arrived.

So I dove into the book as soon as I finished my current read. I was a little surprised what the first scene was. I knew something had to happen. I mean people need a final straw to decide to end it. But I wasn't expecting tha
Marloz Ponce
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Neverlove” es el primer libro de la saga Shadow Jumpers de la autora Angela Brown. Está escrito en tercera persona. Narra la historia de tres personajes, Abigail, Basil y el padre Quanon. Tanto el título como la portada van de acuerdo al libro, además de que son muy atractivos para el lector y te invita a leerlo. El libro está organizado en capítulos, cada capítulo narra parte de la historia de los tres personajes principales. Los capítulos van en orden, o sea que el capítulo siguiente continúa ...more
S.A. Larsen
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to S.A. by: I'd like to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book for an unbiased review.
A forbidden romance struggles to break its chains, giving a unique spin on the perception of the afterlife - Heaven and Hell.

Five stars - yes, I really liked this story that much. There are plenty of Reeper stories out there, but not with a twist like NEVERMORE. Its refreshing creativity broke the boundaries of a reeper's life, revealing a multi-faced glimpse into the invisible battle between good and evil. The religious references were accurate and any embellished upon were completely plausible
Kelly
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Abigail and Basil both have lives that are far from great. Abigail gets a chance to escape her miserable life and start a new one as an agent of heaven, while Basil makes a deal with the devil to get away from his. They both accept their new lives and are ready to commit fully to their duties. That is, until their paths and hearts cross…

We follow Abigail and Basil as they each start their new journey. From bro
J.L. Campbell
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Two young souls find themselves on the other side—one, helping lost souls make their way to the judgment seat and the other, stealing souls for the evil one. When their paths cross, they are drawn to each other, but how can their relationship survive if one is serving heaven and the other, hell?

PLAYERS:
Abigail Bishop: an abused spunky seventeen year old who gets a second chance at life and learns unique skills that help her combat the demons of hell.

Basil Hines: a wimpy young man seeking accep
Kimm
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Neverlove, though I must admit I was spoiled before reading it. Through some Goodreads pals I discovered that Ms. Brown originally introduced Abby and Basil in a blog opera!!

Find it here!

This work caused me to fall in LOVE with Ms. Brown's style of prose. I especially love the interaction between the characters in these blog entries.

Flash forward to Nevermore, the novelized version of this story.

Nevermore was an amazing read. The premise is chilling and exciting, and the emotio
Murakami Akemi
Neverlove is interesting. It's got the heaven/hell and good/evil dynamics in abundance, of course - it's a book about Cleansers, who guide souls to heaven, and Harvestors, who collect souls for the Devourer. Our two main characters end up in this world by a suicide attempt for one and a (surprisingly literal) deal with the devil for the other.

We're shown their lives as they integrate into their new lives. V'Salicus Academy, the school of silly names, is full of people just like Abby, that tried
Cherie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Abigail and Basil’s paths entwine again in a rush toward salvation in Angela Brown’s Neverlove.

Neverlove starts with a gut-wrenching and powerfully written bang. Broken and beaten, Abigail gets a new chance at life when her mother takes her to a special school. Seeking to get out of his overbearing mother’s control, Basil foolishly makes a deal with the devil. I enjoyed Basil much more than Abigail. Her character seems to grow too quickly, despite her intense struggles in the first few chapters.
Christine Rains
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Abigail's future had never looked more bleak. So when she tries to end her life, she receives one thing she never expected: a chance at a good future. At V'Salicus Academy, she trains to be a servant of Heaven to help escort souls to Judgement. She still must deal with the pain of her past, but she meets a cute boy named Basil in a coffee shop and he makes her feel good again. The secrets keep building, and when everything explodes, Abigail must decide between duty and love.

Angela Brown hooks th
Mina Burrows
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I began reading the first part of Angela Brown's Neverlove, I thought WOW...that's some powerful stuff. However disturbing it set the tone for the main character, Abigail (Abby). She's been marred by her father (of all people) and in return attempts to end her life. Fate intervenes, prompting her mother to save Abby and enrolling her in V'Salicus Academy. Like Abby, the Academy was an equally intense organization.

Since Abby is new, Father Quanon agrees to mentor her through the academy and
Laura Diamond
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
There’s a lot of reapers out there in the YA paranormal romance genre and I like them. Neverlove has a unique spin on what I’ve seen so far—WIN!

The story starts with a bang and keeps going right until the epic conclusion. The alternating points of view between the three main characters allowed me to see more of the bigger picture while also seeing both sides of the story. It was fascinating, thought-provoking, and educating all in one.

In this world, there is conflict between the Cleansers (a g
Nick Wilford
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Angela Brown has created an absorbing tale of a seemingly doomed love affair between two teens who come from troubled family backgrounds and have been offered another chance at life (or afterlife). The problem is, they are working for very different masters. The characterisation was very strong in this book; I was rooting for these two as much as I was repulsed by others. Brown keeps the twists coming, making you read on to discover how things will turn out for Abby and Basil. Vivid description ...more
Diana Murdock
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. There wasn't a dull moment to this page-turner. From the opening scene all the way to the end, Angela Brown had me. The world of Cleansers and Harvesters battling it out in the afterlife is an interesting and very believable premise. The author's flow of words is masterful and carried me away each time I opened my Kindle. The characters were believable and steady in their growth. They had their flaws which definitely earned my respect. Bravo for Angela Brown and Neverlove.
A.O. Peart
Sep 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
What a fantastic debut novel. The voice, the characterization, the plot are definitely worth pointing out. I enjoyed the paranormal site of the characters as well as the clever blend of the supernatural world and the very realistic, 21st century problems.
Elizabeth Seckman
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story grabbed me from the very beginning. Angela has a way with descriptions that pull me in (and sometimes make me cringe). This is a good story that touches on some rough issues, both in the real world and in the supernatural world she so wonderfully creates.
M. Pax
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly inventive and entertaining, NeverLove is packed with surprises. Loved the originality and creativity in this story.
Amy Holkesvik
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fab first chapter. Hooks you and then you won't want to put it down.
Cathiee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF
Jasmin
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was received free of charge as part of a book tour (Share My Destiny Blog) for an honest review.

Neverlove by Angela Brown tells about the meeting between Abby, a Cleanser, and Basil, a Harvestor. Even though both are deeply in love with each other, love between Cleansers and Harvestors is strictly forbidden. They are eternal enemies. So their love won't stand a chance, right?

Abby can't be described as your usual protagonist. (It is interesting to have ethnically diverse people as main
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
Novel-Lasses wants to thank both the author Angela Brown and Xpresso Book Tours and Reads for providing us a copy of NeverLove in exchange for an honest review. I learned through research the story begins online.

Star stats:
Jaded Adult: 3.5 Stars
Forever Young: 5 Stars
Over All: 4.25 stars
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Fantasy, Ghosts, Angels, Demons, Good/Evil, Heaven/Hell

My Book Boyfriend : Basil, who else? He is such a geek you can't help but love him. It sucks that
Heather
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don’t read YA books very often but I do love paranormal so I thought I would give this one a try. There was a lot going on in Neverlove, some twists, turns, things you don’t see coming, and a different interpretation on the afterlife, what happens to our souls, the devil himself, and reincarnation. It was an interesting read but not something I was completely excited about when I finished. I tried to read it from two perspectives: one as a normal reader and the other as a parent deciding if I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • A Song for Bijou
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt, #1)
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Givin' Up The Ghost (Indigo Eady Paranormal Mystery, #1)
  • Same Page
  • Natural Beauty
  • Princeless #1
  • My Own Worst Frenemy (Langdon Prep #1)
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • A Taste for Poison (Memory of Scorpions, #3)
  • Edge of Truth
  • She Who Fights Monsters (The Black Parade, #2)
  • Complicated By You (Coventon Campus, #1)
  • Neutral Mask (Jasper Dent, #0.6)
  • The Djinn's Dilemma (Djinn World #1)
Born and raised in Little Rock, AR, Angela now calls Central Texas home.

Reading and writing have been lifelong passions. It was around the time she gave birth to her forever-love, nicknamed Chipmunk, that she really took writing seriously. After all, how could she teach her child to follow her dreams if she hadn't tried herself?

As a YA fantasy/sci-fi reader and author, she favors the magical, myst
More about Angela Brown

Shadow Jumpers (2 books)
  • They All Fall Down (Shadow Jumpers, #2)