Start by marking “Gina Rinehart: The Untold Story of the Richest Woman in the World” as Want to Read:
Gina Rinehart: The Untold Story of the Richest Woman in the World

Gina Rinehart: The Untold Story of the Richest Woman in the World

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Gina Rinehart is not just the richest person in Australia - and potentially soon to be the richest person in the world - she is the daughter of Lang Hancock, legendary arch-conservative, secessionist, mining millionaire and discoverer of the world's largest iron ore deposit in the Pilbara; and a member of a family known as much for its front page legal stoushes as for its ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Gina Rinehart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gina Rinehart

S'hi
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business women,
This is an incredible story. For those of us who have watched Days of Our Lives or Dynasty, many aspects of the current turn of events may seem all just part of the human saga. But the base of this story is long before television, are far from its narrowing influence. What is incredible is the tenacity of one idea and the ability to make it stick.

That idea is not the creation of an iron ore mine – though that is what many will believe as they read this tale. The idea is more challenging – that o
Ned Charles
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An interesting book that is easy to read, well-laid out and with good writing. This is not a book about mining, nor the making of the richest woman in the world, it is about family squabbles. In other words, a book about the Rinehart family in Australia, and a woman dedicated to following her father’s dream.
Perhaps if Hancock Prospecting had been a full blown mining company and all the family members were busy in the company the story would be different. Sad, but it does follow the very public h
Josephine Tan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melissa Au
It is a very easy to read book about the most incredible woman who is also the richest in Australia but not necessary the luckiest in terms of relationships with people particularly her children. What is riches if you do not have the respect and love of your children, that is the price or as my daughter would say, there is always an equalisation for everything. She is an incredible woman in terms of guts and that is due to her upbringing but a pity she can't share her spoils with the people that ...more
John Cleary
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into the life of a very public figure whose reputation precedes her..
Extremely well researched. Mining, money and politics intertwined through the life of an individual's whose corporate success seems inverse to their personal success and interpersonal relationships.
Money can buy a lot but the superficial respect it buys usually only lasts as long as the money.
Best wishes to the third generation in overcoming the legacy they inherited.
Frank Packer said you only get one Al
Lorna Teao
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really interesting especially in the beginning about Gina's father Lang Hancock and how it all began, and her close relationship with her father and how he doted on her, until she married Frank Rinehart whom Lang disapproved of. To be honest she appears to be a very selfish woman who would do anything to get her way, even to sacrifice her own children with whom she does not have a close relationship with. A must read autobiography!!
Xerodog
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gina is a work in progress like all of us. I think that this account read well enough and should not be criticized as the work a journalist, per se. Like many good journalists before her, Ferguson can write clearly. Here she does a good job with a extraordinary living person who had an extraordinary upbringing. No ordinary person could seriously relate to her situation in my opinion, but this study makes her a little more knowable and interesting.
Alex Rogers
Adele Ferguson is a super talented investigative journalist and I enjoy her writing normally, but didn't much enjoy this book - mostly because I so disliked the subject. The book is well researched and written, but I had such antipathy towards Gina and her whole dysfunctional family that I eventually decided I didn't want to know more, and quit.
Ali France
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Well written, easy to read and it gave me a good understanding of Gina. She could present a dangerous risk to Australia in that she will do anything to be heard, including buying up shares in media organisations, but what she has to say is utter tripe. WA should secede from the Commonwealth of Australia? Bonkers.
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I thought that very little surprised me but I was wrong. I can't believe people like this still exist and are sadly so powerful!
My criticism of the style so far is the use of pejorative language by the author. My preference in a biography is that the writer reports and the reader interprets...
Lee
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars really. Ferguson is a journalist not a novelist so don't expect an entrancing read. She has done her homework though and this is a very interesting pull together of what she has been able to glean about Gina Rinehart. So many unknowns are left though ...
Tania Crosbie
I enjoyed learning more about Gina and the business - although it did not paint a very nice picture.
Rachel
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.
Rowlie
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Boring as....... Too many facts and figures and not enough story.
Elizabeth Harty
Fairly depressing read. How greedy & ruthless can one person be?
Rebecca
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Could have been shorter, but this was a very interesting story that was fortunate to be able to end with a current round of family feuding.
Isabel Mansfield
I found it a bit boring and couldn't finish it
Denise Le cornu
Jul 10, 2012
Selina
Aug 13, 2012
Farai Muchedzi
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2015
Yui S
Feb 28, 2013
Elaine Searle
Apr 19, 2013
Trena
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting book. A driven woman determined to make the family companies the best they can be OR a scheming megamanic .Either way I read this as a successful sad life for a still young woman to have.Poor in the things that matter.
Karen