Start by marking “Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing Nutrient-dense Recipes” as Want to Read:
Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing  Nutrient-dense Recipes

Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing Nutrient-dense Recipes

Everyone loves smoothies—and this is the ultimate smoothie book, written by Julie Morris, author of Superfood Kitchen and a superfood expert! Morris whips up 100 nutrient-rich recipes using the world's most antioxidant-, vitamin- and mineral-packed foods, and offers innovative culinary methods for making your smoothies incredibly nutritious and delicious.

Whether you're loo
Published May 7th 2013 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Superfood Smoothies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superfood Smoothies

Start your review of Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing Nutrient-dense Recipes
Karen Owens
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Copied from my amazon review: I borrowed this book from the library. The author clearly is a vegan since all dairy products were omitted and dismissed as unhealthy. I can accept that being vegan is someone's culinary point of view, but she never stated that outright anywhere in her book, and I feel she should have because her outright dismissal of dairy was off putting to me. Then I started researching how to get all the superfood additives and ingredients the author uses. Low and behold, all of ...more
Tabitha Vohn
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I couldn't help but glance at some other reviews as I prepared to write mine. I thought hey, maybe in my little podunk town in Maryland, we're just not hip enough to have specialty stores where one must go to find the ingredients required for pretty much ALL of these smoothie recipes. Maybe it's just me?

Turns out, it's not.

Sadly, I bought this book new from Amazon, thinking it would give me excellent ideas for diversifying my smoothies. Alas, unless you are filthy rich and can afford (much les
Rachel Newcomb
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I make smoothies every day in the Vitamix blender I bought two years ago. Since starting that habit, I've seen tremendous improvements in my health, skin, etc, but I was getting a little tired of my standard recipes. I got this cookbook to amp up my smoothie game. Superfood Smoothies definitely delivers.

I decided I would pick a few recipes to start and just buy the ingredients to make those with a common ingredient, since many of them involve random powders that most people will have never hear
Lisa Shafer
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is the height of gustatory snobbery!

Are you a wealthy, lactose intolerant vegan living in New York City? This book may be for you!
On the other hand, if you're a middle-class, milk-loving resident of rural Montana whose budget has no room for weekly purchases of Thai coconuts ( Morris sniffs and condescends to mention there are other, oh-so-inferior types out there.), then I'd suggest you spend your money elsewhere.
Nearly every recipe in this book calls for specialty items such as camu powd
Judy D Collins
Love SUPERFOOD SMOOTHIES! I have the entire collection of Julie Morris books and this one is my favorite. I have tried many of the recipes and enjoy all of them. I have bookmarked many pages. Great to use with my Vitamix. I often need to substitute items due to being a vegan and my serious food allergies; however, a fabulous selection. I have purchased and tried many new items and ingredients, due to this great book. The hardcover is beautiful with high res images and easy to follow instructions ...more
Mike Kleine
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It was cool and all (actually found some really neat ideas for interesting smoothies) but sort of a shame that what this really is, at the end of the day, this book, it's a ploy to get you to buy certain products from a certain merchandiser. Ignore the fact that the real title of the book is secretly Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Nutrient-dense Recipes: Sponsored by Navitas Naturals.

Definitely check it out (literally*), but don't be afraid to substitute ~60% of the ingredients
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
I can’t wait to get started on these recipes. All of them look so wonderful!
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was most pleased with this book. Some fantastic sounding recipes. The descriptions of each recipe make me want to try foods I've never had before. And I'm not a food adventuress!
Elle
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm just getting into making smoothies daily and I love this. Superfoods are the real deal, but can be hard to incorporate into your diet on a daily basis without a plan. Things to note:
1. Yes, you will have to make a special effort to locate/buy several of the superfood powders and dried goods mentioned in the book. However, if you do a little internet digging, you do not need to spend $30+ dollars on each superfood ingredient. I found an amazing website that is all organic and allows you to p
Millicent
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will certainly purchase this book. Not only are the recipes in this book original and delicious, they are nutritionally dense and varied. It is a well designed book. She details the importance of various superfoods, lays out her recipes with information about their particular benefits to your health, gives you a range of tips on substitutions and how to layer the perfect smoothie so you too can design your own superfood recipes. The down side is that eating this well is due to privilege. All t ...more
Cynthia
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in making smoothies.
I have been looking for a cookbook/recipe book on smoothies because they are something I want to incorporate into my daily nutritional needs. And this one is exactly what I have been looking for.

Yes, the expense of adding the "optional" superfoods to the smoothies may lighten your wallet. But then I'll be having these delicious and healthy smoothies instead of the sugar/fat/carb empty calorie laden foods I would have spent the money on anyway. A win/win situation for me!

The book is full of
Karen
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I'm glad that it was dairy free. So many recipes contain yogurt in them. However, I had to order several ingredients online because I couldn't find them in my local store.
Most of the recipes were not that tasty.
Alicia Bayer
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
We love smoothies at our house, so when my husband brought me this book (free from the library's free book swap section) I was happy to have a source for new recipes.

Unfortunately, absolutely none of the recipes would work for our family. Why? Every single one calls for expensive purchased "superfoods" which are apparently sold by the author's company. She never says she works for the company, but other reviewers did the detective work to find that out and it was a bit of an aha moment for me.
Emily
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been trying to learn more about superfoods, eating healthy, and smoothies recently and picked this book up from the library on a whim. Definitely found it super helpful, especially in breaking down a little bit more about some of the ingredients I've heard of, but didn't know much about. A great example was that other books had recommended flaxseeds to me, but this one told me I need to grind them because otherwise my body won't actually digest them! I was flabbergasted, as many other boo ...more
Wendy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 This is an awesome book of nutritional smoothies however, I cannot find most of the ingredients in my town. I will coordinate a list of ingredients needed for some of the recipes and plan a shopping visit into the city and see if I can gather some of these awesome superfoods.

This book is well laid out with nice pictures. It deconstructs a smoothie and explains what works and why. The nutritional information about the superfoods is inspiring and motivational although the foods are not easily
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent blends of unique flavors, using atypical ingredients for true nourishment. These are smoothies that heal, nourish and taste great. I also like that she gives tips on how to not waste anything, where to find ingredients and equipment, etc.
Mark
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The specific recipes were not so important to me but has good info otherwise.
Jolie Adam
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice description of the superfoods and good mix of smoothie recipes. Can't wait to try them!
Lori
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author introduced quite a few different superfoods & powders that intrigued me. I'm definitely glad checked this book out. ...more
Aimee
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Ordered all the super foods on amazon and now have tons of possibilities for quick healthy and incredibly delicious snacks/ light meals on the run. LOVE this book!!! Initial investment on the superfoods and stocking pantry and freezer was significant but many last a long time. I price shopped around-for now, amazon is cheapest although Costco is now stocking hemp and chia seeds. This is the only cookbook where I will have made every single recipe. I hope she writes another book with more recipes ...more
Jean
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This author has personality and her smoothie recipes are loaded with it, too! There are special ingredients--the "superfoods"--and I couldn't read the details about all 15 of them... it was just too dull. I probably wouldn't make any of these, although it was fun to read the recipes and look at the pictures. She has a great graphic on how to build the smoothie layers in the blender, and another good idea is to freeze green tea in covered ice cube trays. I didn't know there were covered ice trays ...more
Tess Masters
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It is such an easy, digestible guide to superfoods and how to add them into tasty smoothies to add more nutritional density to your shakes. There is a quick write up on each superfood ingredient - nutritional benefits, serving size, flavor profile and suggested pairings. So, you can go off and create your own smoothies with the ingredients. There is also a great section on building healthy nutrient-dense smoothies.
I have made many of the recipes and they are delicious.
Janet
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I generally don't follow recipes for my smoothies, just throwing in whatever fruits and veggies, spices and potions I have on hand. But this author offers a few unique ones that sound worth getting specific for--Red Velvet Cake, Coconut Spice, Caramelized Banana, Raspberry Jalapeno. She also offers a recipe for making a chia gel to keep on hand to thicken things, a la those tapioca teas, and has advice for soaking nuts, large seeds and dried fruits. I might even have to look for some of her "sup ...more
Donna Clark
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book about healthy smoothies, and the ones I have made so far have all been good. The focus of the book, however, is incorporating super foods into smoothies. Some of these super foods are quite expensive, so I made the decision to start with just a few. I found quite a few of the foods at the Vitamin Shoppe, and many are also available online. I now have several smoothie books, and of all the books I have purchased, this one is my favorite!
Susan
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My kind of recipe book: great photos and yummy recipes for one of my favorite foods! I appreciate that Morris includes veggies to include in your smoothie that are indiscernible when drinking your new concoction.

If you need a real boost try the superfood shots (which I still do not have ingredients for yet :\ )starting on page 177.

Many great tips and tricks for making your blender work well with a multitude of textures.

My favorites are:

Apple Arugula … must like arugula
Sweet Almond
Rose
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
As others have noted, this is a vegan recipe book so there are no milk or meat products used in any of the recipes. The recipes call for ingredients that the normal kitchen does not have such as acai powder, sea buckthorn juice, etc. However, the author lists everyday substitutions for most of the ingredients and lists online sources for all of the unusual products. I found the recipes different and interesting-not sure I would make all of these recipes but worth the read.
Stevie
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I quit sugar and was intent on finding smoothie recipes that jive with my diet- enter: Superfood Smoothies. I read all the reviews on here and yes, some of the ingredients are obscure or expensive however I'm confused why some people picked this up when clearly they wanted to hear "mix yogurt with strawberries and peaches"- Superfood is just that, a book about nutritionally dense food. Maybe not for everyone but I'll be happily enjoying my nutrients while others sip down sugar.
Michele Lansdowne
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about nutrition and the benefits of superfoods from reading this book. The recipes sound much tastier than other healthy smoothies I've had and I look forward to trying them. Healthy is great, but if they're tasty maybe I'll actually have them regularly. That, of course, is the author's point.
Mbounds
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I need to get a VitaMix blender. I am hesitant to purchase some of those super foods because of the expense. What if I can't stand the taste of them and then I am stuck with a whole bag. Anyone tried some of the ingredients like goji berries or acai? I did get some great ideas for food combinations to try.
Bronwyn
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
The smoothies are incredibly delicious and very energizing, but a lot of the ingredients are on the pricey side. I definitely don't recommend it if you're on a strict food budget. But if you can afford to buy one or two of the "superfood" ingredients (I found a lot of them at the Bulk store), it's absolutely worth checking out.
Vegan Cooking & C...: Superfood Smoothies 4 11 Jul 05, 2013 04:32PM

• 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse: Lose Up to 15 Pounds in 10 Days!
  • The Healthy Smoothie Bible: Lose Weight, Detoxify, Fight Disease, and Live Long
  • Medical Medium Liver Rescue: Answers to Eczema, Psoriasis, Diabetes, Strep, Acne, Gout, Bloating, Gallstones, Adrenal Stress, Fatigue, Fatty Liver, Weight Issues, SIBO & Autoimmune Disease
  • The Juicing Bible
  • In at the Deep End
  • The Healthy Green Drink Diet : Advice and Recipes to Energize, Alkalize, Lose Weight, and Feel Great
  • Everyday Detox: 100 Easy Recipes to Remove Toxins, Promote Gut Health, and Lose Weight Naturally
  • Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks
  • Zero Belly Smoothies: Lose up to 16 Pounds in 14 Days and Sip Your Way to A Lean & Healthy You!
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • The Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook: 150 Simply Delicious Everyday Recipes for Your Whole30
  • Life Expectancy
  • Medical Medium Life-Changing Foods: Save Yourself and the Ones You Love with the Hidden Healing Powers of Fruits  Vegetables
  • All Adults Here
  • Take Me Again (The Knight Brothers, #1)
  • Frugal Vegan: Affordable, Easy & Delicious Vegan Cooking
  • Ketogenic Breakfast Cookbook: Quick & Easy for Weekdays Breakfast / Brunch for Weekends
  • Still Not Yours (Enguard Protectors #3)
JULIE MORRIS is a passionate wellness advocate who believes we can build a better quality of life through what we put on our plate.

Considered a pioneer in the realm of superfood and nootropic cooking, Julie explores the world’s most powerful plants through her work as a natural food chef and New York Times bestselling author. Her in-depth expertise has been quoted by such diverse publications as

News & Interviews