Start by marking “When the Butterflies Came” as Want to Read:
When the Butterflies Came

When the Butterflies Came

Everybody thinks Tara Doucet has the perfect life. But in reality, Tara’s life is anything but perfect: Her dear Grammy Claire has just passed away, her mother is depressed and distant, and she and her sister Riley can’t seem to agree on anything. But when mysterious and dazzling butterflies begin to follow her around after Grammy Claire’s funeral, Tara just knows in her ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about When the Butterflies Came, please sign up.
Maria Tag I would say so. I didn't read either fully. (check out my reviews.) but could catch on that these books are pretty alike.

Start your review of When the Butterflies Came
Whisperwind
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dan Rogers
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I became acquainted with this book when one of my students told me about it. Based upon what she said, as well as the description written on the back of the book, I just knew that I had to read it so I asked to borrow it when she was finished. I am so glad that I did. Everything about this book says “girl” book. All I can say about that is, if this is a typical “girl” book then I want to read lots of them. This has to be one of the best mysteries I have read in quite a long time.
Tara Doucet,
Genesis
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first butterfly came with others following. This book, When the Butterflies Came by Kimberley Griffiths Little, went soaring high in the sky. The author flew very high with this book. This fictional book is designated for children. When Tara Doucet loses her dear beloved Grammy Claire, she is left alone in no one’s hands. To make matters worse, her mother hides in her shell and leaves Tara alone with her chaotic sister, Riley, who is going through teen hood, and her dad has left them to go ...more
Kimberley Little
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I *adored* mysteries growing up and tried my hand writing them many years ago without luck. This new book is the closest thing to a mystery that I've published so far, and it was fun to see it come alive as I worked on it. WHEN THE BUTTERFLIES CAME has many elements I adore: islands and beaches and a tree house a la Swiss Family Robinson style from Disneyland (which I always pretended was my own secret tree house), secret letters, mysterious keys, and magical butterflies. The cover art from ...more
Maleah
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Too good to be true! This is just amazing. When I finished it I'm like "this is the best book ever"! I think there should be a When The Butterflies Return to sum it up. I would recommend this to anyone who likes fiction and mystery. My friend read this and said it was the best book ever. My grandma read it and said this is an amazing book. This book is family friendly!
Emma
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sheila
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another beautiful story by Kimberley Griffiths Little. I'm always so moved by the powerful stories that she tells. When the Butterflies Came is another excellent addition to the middle grade reading world. The mystery will ensnare you,and the storyline will touch you heart.
소피아
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mardi
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-reads
This book was recommended to me by one of my students who is a voracious reader. Her words to me were, "Mrs. Wilkins, you NEED to read this book. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time." She even brought her copy to me so that I wouldn't have to wait for the public library copy. What a gem!

This was a lovely little story about butterflies, youth, and the love between a grandmother and granddaughter. With enough detail and a hint of mystery, I found myself completely engaged with
Katie Bettis
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When the Butterflies Came by Kimberly Griffiths Little is about how a girl named Tara Doucet's grandma died. Her mother gets depressed and very distant. She has a sister named Riley, but they don't get along. After her grandma's funeral, a bunch of mysterious butterflies start to follow her. She can tell that her grandma is giving her one last mystery to solve. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes realistic fiction.
Natalie
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing because it had a lot of mystery. The book made you think one thing and at the end it's not true. I recommend this book if you like to solve mysteries.
Cynthia
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First book of the summer and it was amazing!! I love Kimberly's storytelling and magic.
Holli
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I must read everything this writer has written!
Chantele Sedgwick
Beautiful writing and loved the story.
Malayne s8 Simons
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book when the Butterflies come, by Kimberly Little. Is about a girl named Tara Docet. She is such a sweet loving girl, then her granny Claire just passed away and she is really sad. During this time her mom is very depressed and is having a really hard time understand why that had to happen to her. Then Tara starts to see all of these butterflies and she is wondering why they are all of a sudden they are always right by her and then she finds out that they are from her granny Claire. I ...more
Cheryl Malandrinos
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous book! Filled with mystery and magic, and set against the beauty of the bayou and an isolated island filled with secrets, Little has created an engaging adventure-filled story. Tara is the perfect protagonist--one readers will sympathize with and cheer for from the very beginning. Her troubled life unfolds as she discovers more and more about the grandmother she thought she knew. As she gets closer and closer to discovering Grammy Claire's secrets, the danger increases until she's ...more
Aimee Stump
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When the Butterflies came is about a girl who's grandmother just passed. Her grandmother was her closest friend and she always knew what to say to her to keep her spirits up. Once she past she was lead to her her grandmothers house to learn what had happened to her and what her life was about. There were envelopes she opened along the way that lead her through out her grandmothers life. IN the end she learns something horrible, but gets something even more better in return.
Jude
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing everyone thinks that the main character has a perfect life but in this moving story it shows us the complete oppisite. It shows us a story of a young girl struggling with love, loss, and magic from the beyond. She takes us on the journey to find the one thing the one mystery her grandma has left to solve.
Madhuri Kola
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the Butterflies Came was a book which was very interesting and kept me reading chapter after chapter. As I kept reading, there were more and more mysteries which were unraveled and more cliffhangers waiting to be figured out. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy and fiction, as it is worth reading.
Brooke West
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Riley (8 yrs) said, “MOM. This is the best book I have ever read.” So, naturally, I had to read it. I’m glad I did. It’s a sweet story that’s a bit magical and about family and love and persistence. The main character has some OCD tendencies and her love for her family gives her the power to resist some of her compulsions and experience life differently.
Julia
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a fantastic mystery book and every time you could guess what would happen there would be a great plot twist I loved this book! I would recommend this book to anyone who has some extra time on their hands!
Alicia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It kept me on my toes but got a bit complicated. I needed to make sure that I kept track of the plot as it happened because I got a bit confused. It was very descriptive so that it makes pictures in the reader’s mind.
Amber
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was the book that got me into YA books. I could not put down this book! I don't think that there is a certain age to read this book, if you enjoy reading, then I think you should read this book.
Taylor
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book was very good with lots of confusing twists and turns, and in my opinion, mystery book lovers would have a great time reading this book.
Carly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love this book. So much!
Arunima
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, this book was absolutely magical, but I thought the ending was a little too perfect.
ScoobySmurf
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that will take you on a twisting journey, with a sci-fi twist. A great book for mystery lovers.
Lisa Crist
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Both daughters read this book in 5th grade. They wanted me to read it and I really enjoyed it!
Emma Waters
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re into mysteries, this an amazing story and I definitely recommend it. This story is one of my favorite mysteries as it gives off family and happiness vibes.
Hannah Faith
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. I read it in fifth grade, and it sorta got me into mysteries. Highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Secret Hum of a Daisy
  • Small as an Elephant
  • Shadow Weaver (Shadow Weaver, #1)
  • Scat
  • Bird
  • Courage for Beginners
  • Sure Signs of Crazy
  • The Trouble with May Amelia (May Amelia, #2)
  • Love, Ish
  • P.S. I Miss You
  • So Done (So Done, #1)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • Sylvia & Aki
  • Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
  • Grammar Keepers: Lessons That Tackle Students' Most Persistent Problems Once and for All, Grades 4-12 (Corwin Literacy)
  • Poetry After Lunch: Poems to Read Aloud
  • All the Answers
Kimberley Griffiths Little was born in San Francisco, but now lives in New Mexico with her husband and their three sons.

For such award-winning middle grade novels as When the Butterflies Came, The Last Snake Runner, The Healing Spell, and Circle of Secrets, her writing has been praised as "fast-paced and dramatic," with "characters painted in memorable detail" and "beautifully realized settings."