Start by marking “For Want of a Fiend” as Want to Read:
For Want of a Fiend

For Want of a Fiend

(Katya & Starbride #2)

Princess Katya Nar Umbriel’s uncle Roland rose from the grave, kidnapped her cousin, and stripped her of her greatest weapon—her Fiendish power. Without her Fiend, Katya doubts her ability to weather the storm her uncle is brewing. When she lacks what even the children in her family possess, can she even call herself an Umbriel?

In only a short time, Starbride has become th
Published May 14th 2013 by Bold Strokes Books (first published May 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about For Want of a Fiend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Want of a Fiend

Ross Wright
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So it's clear in this book was post initial book jitters and there is a green light from the publisher for a series of books. Pyramid Waltz left small things undone, but wrapped up enough for a stand alone book. In For Want of a Fiend, the "big bad"'s plans come to fruition and their world is torn apart. Our heroines and their fledgling love are put to the test.

In my review of Pyramid Waltz I mentioned how it was equal parts fantasy and romance leaving fans of both genres satisfied. This balance
Matthew Borgard
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Pyramid Waltz, Wright's debut novel and the first in the series (The Pyramid Saga? Fiends and Farradays? I dunno, man), was a clever blend of fantasy and romance, treating its lesbian protagonist respectfully and uncontroversially, which sadly seems to be a rarity in the fantasy genre.

For Want of a Fiend picks up where the first book left off. Princess Katya and Starbridge are totes in luuuurve, which would be great if not for Katya's fiendish (har) uncle Roland still on the loose. Furthermo
Jennifer Lavoie
ARGH. The author did it to me again. I loved this book so much, I can't even begin to describe how amazing it was without giving away too much.

My favorite characters returned, and they're even MORE amazing in this book than they are in the first, if possible. If you want to read this book and didn't read The Pyramid Waltz, stop and go back. Do NOT read this one without it, because you don't want to miss out on the awesome, and you'll be confused.

There are so many fun moments in this book tosse
Sam Hooker
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The second book in this particular series was anything but sophomoric. Filled with unexpected alliances, revelations about some of the more mysterious characters, and the death of at least one character so central to the overall plot it would make George R.R. Martin's head spin, my anticipation for this follow-up to The Pyramid Waltz was thoroughly sated.

The author has a knack for painting a very detailed picture without asking the reader to remember a million tiny facts. This book, like its pre
Stupid Fox
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Yes yes yes yes! After The Pyramid Waltz, I wanted more and this is definitely more of the same story! I tore through this book (by my standard) and enjoyed it sooo much. So excellently written. The characters grow on me more and more! The plot and intrigue are amazing and the relationships are wonderfully done!

I picked up the third book already on Amazon and I'm already enjoying how it continues.
Barbara Ann Wright is a hidden gem in the world of fantasy authors! I will scream her name from the
Heather
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm fascinated by the world of Katya and Star, and was entertained as well as saddened by this chapter of their tale (so many deaths of major characters!). I'm glad we learn more about Pennynail, although there is much more that we don't know about him. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Elizabeth Mallory
Roland succeeded in abducting some of Katya's team and stripping Katya of her powers. Together with Starbride and the Order of Vestra, they set out to stop him from destroying the kingdom, but there are mysteries afoot that lead to something much greater...if they can figure it out in time. Wright's writing and pace is perfect, and the ins and outs of Katya and Starbride's romance are realistic and beautiful. I fell even more in love with the side-characters as we learn more about each of them.
Natsu
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For Want of a Fiend takes up where the first book left off, and Wright never stops cranking up the stakes. She gives another fast paced, action packed (and wit laced) story, and leaves you needing more at the end.
Shelly
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great second book in the series! The drama & action had me biting my nails (unfortunately literally). I can't wait for the 3rd book!
Marie
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still fun
Rain
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ha pasado un mes desde los acontecimientos del libro anterior y nos encontramos a Katya, Starbride y al resto de la Orden asimilando todo lo que ha ocurrido y actuando rápidamente para detener un nuevo ataque de Roland. Es una excelente continuación de The Pyramid Waltz, con más acción, momentos desgarradores, aunque sin dejar sus momentos de comedia y romance, nuevas aventuras y simpáticos e interesantes personajes. ¡Y finalmente se desvela la identidad del misterioso Pennynail!

Y a diferencia d
lov2laf

Damn, I thought the first book was full of action and ended on a cliffhanger. This second book in the series takes action and cliffhangers to a whole new level.

In this story, we see Katya promoted in rank but demoted in her own personal ventures where she struggles to live in this new role. In contrast, Starbride is stepping up and becoming quite an adventure hero. We are introduced to a new cast of characters while staying with many we met in the first book. Everyone here is just as vi
Tony Hisgett
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but although many reviewers thought this was an even better book, I found myself struggling to get to the end of this story.
My problem was not with the characters but with the plot, which turned into a series of disasters, everything that could go wrong went wrong. It just became so predictable that if the hero/heroine was about to win they would drop their weapon, fall over something or somebody would suddenly appear from nowhere to knock them ove
Margaret
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Still fluff, but it turns out fluff is great to read when you're really tired and on an airplane
moxieBK
Book 2 in Katya and Starbride Series

I've pondered about what keeps me hesitating about this series. I think it's a number of things, the main one being that it feels like the plot is just dragging on, with no end in sight.

There are times when I feel the events in the story happen rather quickly; and then there are times when I feel that events happen "conveniently" to move the story along; but mostly, it's how the plot meanders around and never really gets solved. Another road block is thrown he
Aoife
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love fantasy but reading a lot in one genre usually means that you're rarely really surprised by anything happening in them. Not that I can predict every detail but usually I roughly now which tropes I can expect. I did not see coming what happened in For Want of a Fiend. Bits that I expected to be mainly 'decoration' without much influence to the plot suddenly...well became very relevant. And I was really surprised.
However, everything happened a bit much. There is a fine line between 'fast-pa
Anne Skelding
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hannah
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: casey, magic-n-shit, ya, queer
unfortunately, as this series continues, the novelty of a no-big-deal young adult lesbian couple wears off and the VERY INTENSE ROMANTIC MONOGAMY starts to be grating. bummer. (my irritation was lessened a tiny bit by the ex and the girlfriend being totally friendly with each other, and ending up working together on big deal shit. but still.)

i'm also already tired of the writing style, but the plot is interesting enough for me to wanna know what happens, so onward i go.
Cheri
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok, I liked this one even more than the first. The plot was more serious - still plenty of humor, though.

I rated it lower because there were a load of typos. Also, if you're the type of person who hates a massive cliffhanger, you may want to wait until the 3rd in the series is out before reading this one.
Kaiti
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Probably closer to 3.5 stars. Definitely not as good as the first one.
Linh Nguyen
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Same smooth writing with a solid plot, though I must admit this book left me little impression. Even young love gets a wee bit cheesy after a while.
Jennifer Mcqueen
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great lavender read with memorable characters

I've enjoyed the series. I can't wait to read the next installment. I wish there were more works like this one.
Megan
I'm still enjoying this series. The romance aspect is pretty much over/settled, and now the political intrigue in the kingdom takes center stage.
Rebekah
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Still a total mess sometimes, but an interesting enough story that I kept going. Magic and betrayal!
Danielle
Nov 26, 2014
Cara
Sep 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses, #1)
  • Second Nature (Shape-Shifter, #1)
  • Taming The Wolff
  • Broken Wings
  • The Spanish Pearl (Kate Vincent Adventures, #1)
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • The Walls of Westernfort (Celaeno, #4)
  • Wild
  • Night Hunt (Midnight Hunters, #3)
  • Raven Mask (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, #2)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • The Gemini Deception (Elite Operatives, #6)
  • Forever and a Knight
Barbara Ann Wright writes fantasy and science fiction novels and short stories when not adding to her enormous book collection or ranting on her blog. Her short fiction has appeared twice in Crossed Genres Magazine and once made Tangent Online's recommended reading list. Her first novel, The Pyramid Waltz, was one of Tor.com's Reviewer's Choice books of 2012 and was a 2012 Foreword Review Book of ...more

Katya & Starbride (4 books)
  • The Pyramid Waltz