Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena

The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena

This fascinating compilation of some of the world's most baffling, still-unexplained wonders is sure to keep you thoroughly mystified page after page. Includes mysteries concerning the Titanic, UFOs, inexplicable astronomy, and much more bizarre phenomena that twenty-first century science can't explain.

Published April 9th 2013 by Running Press Adult (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena

Start your review of The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena
Jenny
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad overview of a huge array of unexplained phenomena. Bainton does a pretty nice job of making sure to mention the difference between which items have been thoroughly debunked and which ones are still not-quite-explained. He's also pretty open about his own biases in favor of or against various proposed explanations. He writes with a very conversational tone, rather like a blogger. He gives sources to find out more about each ghoulie and ghostie and long legged beastie. Reasonably enterta ...more
Maria
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2nd time i try this book. 2nd time I couldn't get into it at all. As much as I love the topic and talk of the supernatural and the paranormal, this book just didn't do it for me.
Jean Watters
This was a fun book to read.
M.A. Stern
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Contains a great deal of events attributed to paranormal phenomena and analyses them with clear-eyes and healthy skepticism.
Craig Clark
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Here it is - Make up your own mind" Charles Hoy Fort (1874 - 1932)

With these words in the introduction and used as a supporting voice for the contents of the book we are thrust into the world of 'Astonishing Anomalies, Unknown Dimensions, Panic and Paranoia' (as the cover says)

Upon reading the contents and starting to read the book itself I thought it was very specific and concentrated on the 'fan favourites' of phenomena. UFO's and spiritualism. Although these two subje
Gef
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, scifi
If anything, I'm a skeptic. But, that doesn't preclude me from enjoying stories of some of the most absolutely bonkers stuff the world has ever seen--or at least claimed to have seen. Heck, my three biggest loves in genre are monsters, ghosts, and robots, and I pretty much get a heaping helping of all three in this book (replacing robots with UFOs, anyway).

This Mammoth Book tackles a myriad of subjects all relating to paranormal events, whether they be UFO sightings, hauntings, and e
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
Not really what I was expecting. A lot of great facts, but not the kind that I am really interested in. Very well written, but I just could not get into this one.
Kirsty-Ann Potter
The Angry Librarian
Apr 14, 2016
michelle
Sep 04, 2017

• Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas