Start by marking “Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist” as Want to Read:
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,359 ratings  ·  201 reviews
Grca badge winner
December 2013: Goodreads Choice Award (Food & Cookbooks)
December 2013: Entertainment Weekly Great Gifts for Book Lovers
December 2013: BookPage Best of 2013
October 2014: Clue on Jeopardy

Congrats. You fought through War and Peace, burned through Fahrenheit 451, and sailed through Moby-Dick. All right, you nearly drowned in Moby-Dick, but you made it to shore—and you dese
Published April 23rd 2013 by Running Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Naomi
Blog review in progress

Initial thoughts: Are you serious? A book that combines two of my favorite things...books and drinks? Yep...and this one was pure brilliant creativity! The drinks, for the most part, are unusual drinks that are paired up with books named after them. For the most part, ingredients would be easy to locate (although there are a couple that might need some searching and ordering). There are recipes for drinks for a crowd or your favorite book club. To boot, there is a recipe f
David
Another not-so-hidden diamond from Tim Federle. Concise, informative and always funny, I loved that the beginning included the tools you need, the equipment you need and the techniques for making a great drink. As much as I would like to, I will refrain from naming all of the 'literary' drinks that made me laugh out loud (that's LOL to anyone under 25) and just give a few of my favorite names and the resulting drink: "The Cooler Purple" made with blackberry liqueur was ca-razy good; "A Farewell ...more
Bekah
The puns are just hilarious. I was pleased to see non-alcoholic drinks included, and pleasantly surprised that there were a few recipes for snacks as well. A fun book to read for the jokes alone, but I am actually really excited to give a lot of them a try.
Cheri
Jan 01, 2014 Cheri rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Neat idea - bad drinks
Jackie
Dec 01, 2013 Jackie added it
Shelves: nonfiction, quirk
I'm a bit surprised this is listed on Goodreads, since it's mostly a recipe book. That said, I've read the main introduction, general intros, and basically every part that's not a recipe so far (you read anything you can get your hands on on long metro rides). It's rather witty, although it skews a little bit to the "I'm pandering to a college crowd" side with its frequent mentions of red solo cups and freshman year. No reason you can't market this book to an older generation - they'd be more li ...more
Darlene
I'm not much of a 'drinker'.. I have an occasional glass of wine in social situations and when I was much younger, perhaps a shot or two of Tennessee whiskey. However, I needed a couple of drink ideas for a social gathering I was attending and I came across this wonderful book, "Tequila Mockingbird"! This book is divided into sections.... drinks targeted to women'; drinks suggested for men, drinks for those who don't imbibe and even a section for snacks that can be made to accompany these very ' ...more
Linnie Greene
While it operates on a literary, theme-centric conceit, this is still my very favorite, most practical cocktail book. Others have either been too boring (alright, we get it, you mix orange juice and vodka) or too intricate (heat the rind of a persimmon to exactly 375 degrees, then sautee it in a dark rum reduction, etc. etc.). This one falls in that perfect middle place -- whimsical and exciting, like Remembrance of Things Pabst, which blends earl grey and PBR, but also highly practical like the ...more
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
A fantastically entertaining little book that gives a witty look at original cocktail recipes that are aligned with literature classics (and some not-so-classic). I adore the author's humor. This excerpt from the introduction sums up the tone: "Let's get a little stupid and look a little smart. Even if you don't have a BA in English, tonight you're gonna drink like you do."

Recipes such as Tequila Mockingbird, A Cocktail of Two Cities, and Absinthe Shrugged are just a few of the wonderfully named
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
A unique take on cocktails. I enjoyed this book more for the descriptions of the books (and the illustrations) than the cocktail recipes. He described them with humor and dry wit. Some of the recipes were intriguing, but I may just stay with hard apple cider.
Kyle Kimmal
We all need a new mixology book like another martini. Come on you know it is true. I found my summer cocktail in this book. Anyone in a book club MUST get this book! The humor and references to the cannon make surviving a book club fun.
Aeicha
This is perfect for any booknerd! My sister and I sat down and read (and laughed!) it all in an hour. We found some awesome new drinks to try and enjoyed the humorous brief book synopses. Definitely the classiest group of drinks around!
Sydney
This book had me laughing before I even passed the table of contents! I can't wait to use Tequila Mockingbird, Cocktails with a Literary Twist for my next cocktail party. Fun AND useful! Federle's wit is unparalleled.
Diane Barnes
1 star for combining books and drinks
1 star for witty drink names
1 star for VERY inventive puns and allusions
1 final star for making me laugh out loud on every page
Ruan Peat
I loved this book, the recpies and the puns made me giggle out loud, the theme is well done and runs all the way through it, not a weak page! my book of the winter!
Katie
One of the most thoughtful and hilarious Christmas gifts imaginable!
Mary Catherine
I basically want to make every cocktail in this book -- then read excerpts of the book it's based on while I drink.
Scott
I like to read. I like to drink! What's not to love about this cheeky thing!
Gayan
I am going to work my way through this book and drink one of each.
Katie Love
If you are an unabashed (library) card-carrying bibliophile with a penchant for puns than this is the book for you.

Clever, witty, tongue-in-cheek and just plain spit out your cocktail funny it is a must for every drink and book lover’s (or if you’re a grad student it is just one in the same) shelf.

Never again shall you fear trying to throw a book themed party for your erudite friends. Added bonus, for those who don’t imbibe, there are also some handy mocktail and nosh recipes thrown in. Anyone
Rachel Beeler
I guess the true mark of whether this book is good or not is dependent upon how the drinks taste- but I have high hopes and I can't wait to make some of these soon.

Besides the drink recipes, this book is full of humor, cleverness, and an obvious love of literature that is endearing. It was a humorous and fast read, and I'm sure I'll make good use of it at dinner parties, book clubs, etc. What a lovely birthday gift!!
Heather
cocktails with a literary twist, so fun. I want to make Are you there God, it's me, Margarita, Gone with the Wine, The Adventures of Sherbet Holmes, Pear the Wild Things Are (as a hangover cure!) and Cherry Poppins. Fabulous little book.
Liz De Coster
Pretty punny and some of the recipes are suspect, but many are twists on extant classics, so certainly interesting for most readers or drinkers. Or those of us who are both!
Georgie Jinks
Deliciously funny read. I laughed then drank, and both were fantastic things. The writing is clever and the beverages I have tried so far are delicious.
Jessica
How could I possibly resist this book when I saw it on the new releases shelf at the library?!? Subtitled "Cocktails with a Literary Twist", this little book is a witty twist on a cocktail recipe book. Each cocktail has a name inspired by a book title and along with the recipe there is a cute, humorous synopsis of the book. The book includes cocktails such as Bridget Jones' Daquiri, Gin Eyre, Love in the Time of Kahlua, and The Last of the Mojitos. The book also contains some recipes for bar sna ...more
Ldrhc
The best Christmas gift I received this year and one that I will give over and over!
LiteraryMarie
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist is a clever tribute that should be displayed on every bookheart's bar or coffee table. It is the perfect cocktail book for the literary obsessed! About 65 drink recipes are named after classic novels. The book also includes drinking games, special gulps for guys, bar bites (appetizers), a glossary and illustrations. Charm your guests by trying a few of these cocktails during your next book club meeting or holiday gathering.

Literary Marie of Pr
Patti
Very, very clever with some good-sounding recipes, too.
Amanda
For some reason, I enjoy reading drink recipes that either famous authors enjoyed (Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers) or, in this case, are based on books.

I grabbed this one from the library as a fun read. It didn't disappoint. It's a excellently illustrated book with just enough tidbits of info about the major books the drinks are based on to keep you entertained. And if you are mixing up the cocktails as you go, hey, more power to you.

I'm not a cocktail girl,
Jenny
This is a recipe book for mainly alcoholic drinks based on various books presented in humorous fashion. Who can resist "The Turn of the Screwdriver", "The Last of the Mojitos", and "The Joy Luck Club Soda" for example? Also provides a quick overview of these seminal reads. Required reading for anyone with a liberal arts education and a minor in ETOH.
elizabeth.
Some of these potations seem like they're destined to fail, but some of them are clever riffs on the book they're inspired by and actually seem like they'd make a good drink. But, honestly, the best part of the book is commentary about each individual book (I chuckled a lot while reading this.), though beware of light spoilers for some books!
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom
  • The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
  • Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Happy Herbivore Abroad: A Travelogue and Over 135 Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes from Around the World
  • Jamie's Comfort Food
  • The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum
  • Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Tea with Jane Austen
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • What the F*@# Should I Make for Dinner?: The Answers to Life’s Everyday Question (in 50 F*@#ing Recipes)
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays
  • Bar Tartine: Techniques and Flavors
Described as “a prolific scribe whose breezy wit isn’t bound to a single genre” by the Huffington Post, Tim Federle writes books that range from internationally bestselling cocktail recipe guides to award-winning autobiographical novels for young readers. Federle’s debut novel, Better Nate Than Ever, was named a New York Times Notable Children’s Book of 2013. The book’s sequel, Five, Six, Seven, N ...more
More about Tim Federle...
Better Nate Than Ever Five, Six, Seven, Nate! Tommy Can't Stop! Hickory Daiquiri Dock: Cocktails with a Nursery Rhyme Twist The Great American Whatever

“The Pitcher of Dorian Grey” 0 likes