Start by marking “Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist” as Want to Read:
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Grca badge winner
Congrats. You fought through War and Peace, burned through Fahrenheit 451, and sailed through Moby-Dick. All right, you nearly drowned in Moby-Dick, but you made it to shore—and you deserve a drink!

A fun gift for barflies and a terrific treat for book clubs, Tequila Mockingbird is the ultimate cocktail book for the literary obsessed. Featuring 65 delicious drink recipes—pa
Published April 23rd 2013 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Tequila Mockingbird, please sign up.
Asho I'd say it's a combination of both. Some of them are basically the standard recipes with witty names, but about half the time they do have an…moreI'd say it's a combination of both. Some of them are basically the standard recipes with witty names, but about half the time they do have an at-least-somewhat-novel twist.(less)

Heidi The Reader
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
New life goals: buy this book. Read every classic mentioned within and try associated drink. (I was shocked by how few of these I'd read.)

I highly recommend this charming book of literary themed drinks. For folks who are either underage or choose not to imbibe, there are a few non-alcoholic selections and snacks included.

The book summaries are hilarious and playfully presented. Some of my favorite drink titles: "Paradise Sauced", "Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita.", and "Moby-Drink".

This is
Naomi
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blog review in progress

Initial thoughts: Are you serious? A book that combines two of my favorite things...books and drinks? Yep...and this one was pure brilliant creativity! The drinks, for the most part, are unusual drinks that are paired up with books named after them. For the most part, ingredients would be easy to locate (although there are a couple that might need some searching and ordering). There are recipes for drinks for a crowd or your favorite book club. To boot, there is a recipe f
Colleen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is so great. And I'm not even drunk yet.

I need to own a copy. So clever! And delicious! With a buzz - what better??
Jackie
Oct 31, 2013 added it
Shelves: nonfiction, quirk
I'm a bit surprised this is listed on Goodreads, since it's mostly a recipe book. That said, I've read the main introduction, general intros, and basically every part that's not a recipe so far (you read anything you can get your hands on on long metro rides). It's rather witty, although it skews a little bit to the "I'm pandering to a college crowd" side with its frequent mentions of red solo cups and freshman year. No reason you can't market this book to an older generation - they'd be more li ...more
David
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another not-so-hidden diamond from Tim Federle. Concise, informative and always funny, I loved that the beginning included the tools you need, the equipment you need and the techniques for making a great drink. As much as I would like to, I will refrain from naming all of the 'literary' drinks that made me laugh out loud (that's LOL to anyone under 25) and just give a few of my favorite names and the resulting drink: "The Cooler Purple" made with blackberry liqueur was ca-razy good; "A Farewell ...more
Bekah
The puns are just hilarious. I was pleased to see non-alcoholic drinks included, and pleasantly surprised that there were a few recipes for snacks as well. A fun book to read for the jokes alone, but I am actually really excited to give a lot of them a try.
Jill
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is so cheesy and so amazing. The art, in particular, is fantastic -- sometimes hilarious, sometimes genuinely beautiful mashups of drinks with famous titles. If you like books or booze or puns or are doing a lit degree, get on it. And I may actually make some of these...
Diane Barnes
Shelves: 2013
Neat idea - bad drinks
Lindsay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I wouldn't count anything in the 'recipe' category as a book read for the year. However, this little gem has over one hundred drinks each with a paragraph or two on the namesake book or its author. And it's very funny. So if I'm reading over one hundred paragraphs, laughing, and learning, I'm counting it.

As an additional delight, illustrator Lauren Mortimer pairs most of the drinks with beautiful and clever pencil drawings that stole the show.

I'm eager to try most of the drinks (excep
Gerry
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a life-long teetotaller like myself to purchase a volume on cocktails, there must have been something special about the book. And there was. If the title 'Tequila Mockingbird' was not sufficient (and it was), the sub-title 'Cocktails with a Literary Twist' sealed the deal. What is more, it was money very well spent.

Tim Federle presents us with 65 recipes for literary cocktails all based on, and titled accordingly, great works of literature. And along with the recipe, and how to concoct it, i
Darlene
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a 'drinker'.. I have an occasional glass of wine in social situations and when I was much younger, perhaps a shot or two of Tennessee whiskey. However, I needed a couple of drink ideas for a social gathering I was attending and I came across this wonderful book, "Tequila Mockingbird"! This book is divided into sections.... drinks targeted to women'; drinks suggested for men, drinks for those who don't imbibe and even a section for snacks that can be made to accompany these very ' ...more
Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough
A unique take on cocktails. I enjoyed this book more for the descriptions of the books (and the illustrations) than the cocktail recipes. He described them with humor and dry wit. Some of the recipes were intriguing, but I may just stay with hard apple cider.
Cait
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
everything about this is amazing
Amanda Vu
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely best purchase of this year. I REGRET NOTHING.
Michael
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The conception is somewhat better than the execution. The cocktail recipes are fine, but the accompanying text about the literary works is slight and rather vapid. That said, I will be drinking my way through it over time, and it does look nice as a novelty item, I just wish Federle had taken his idea a little more seriously.
André Caniato
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great. Funny, useful, and full of literary references, this is the cocktail cookbook every bookworm should read at some point in their lives. Buy this book—because of reasons.
Sherri
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Cocktails with a literary twist" great subtitle! A witty read full of puns. Combing classic literature with cocktail names to go along with them. If you haven't read through any of the "classics", don't worry...most have been made into movies. A neat idea to have a signature drink at your next book club meeting or movie night! Cheers!
Linnie Greene
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While it operates on a literary, theme-centric conceit, this is still my very favorite, most practical cocktail book. Others have either been too boring (alright, we get it, you mix orange juice and vodka) or too intricate (heat the rind of a persimmon to exactly 375 degrees, then sautee it in a dark rum reduction, etc. etc.). This one falls in that perfect middle place -- whimsical and exciting, like Remembrance of Things Pabst, which blends earl grey and PBR, but also highly practical like the ...more
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically entertaining little book that gives a witty look at original cocktail recipes that are aligned with literature classics (and some not-so-classic). I adore the author's humor. This excerpt from the introduction sums up the tone: "Let's get a little stupid and look a little smart. Even if you don't have a BA in English, tonight you're gonna drink like you do."

Recipes such as Tequila Mockingbird, A Cocktail of Two Cities, and Absinthe Shrugged are just a few of the wonderfully named
Sydney
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing before I even passed the table of contents! I can't wait to use Tequila Mockingbird, Cocktails with a Literary Twist for my next cocktail party. Fun AND useful! Federle's wit is unparalleled.
Kyle Kimmal
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We all need a new mixology book like another martini. Come on you know it is true. I found my summer cocktail in this book. Anyone in a book club MUST get this book! The humor and references to the cannon make surviving a book club fun.
Aeicha
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is perfect for any booknerd! My sister and I sat down and read (and laughed!) it all in an hour. We found some awesome new drinks to try and enjoyed the humorous brief book synopses. Definitely the classiest group of drinks around!
Nancy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book that I think I may have to buy copies to give out as Christmas gifts this year! LOVED IT! Had me cracking up as only a true literary nerd can crack up over a book like this.
Mary Catherine
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I basically want to make every cocktail in this book -- then read excerpts of the book it's based on while I drink.
Katie
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most thoughtful and hilarious Christmas gifts imaginable!
Ruan Peat
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-loved
I loved this book, the recpies and the puns made me giggle out loud, the theme is well done and runs all the way through it, not a weak page! my book of the winter!
Gayan
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am going to work my way through this book and drink one of each.
Scott
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like to read. I like to drink! What's not to love about this cheeky thing!
Elina
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gone with the wine, Moby Drink, Romeo and Julep, Gin Eyre...and many more to try!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • True Blood: Eats, Drinks, and Bites from Bon Temps
  • Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants
  • Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden
  • Handwritten Recipes: A Bookseller's Collection of Curious and Wonderful Recipes Forgotten Between the  Pages
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • The Little Library Cookbook
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Off the Beaten Page: The Best Trips for Lit Lovers, Book Clubs, and Girls on Getaways
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
  • Cocktails for Book Lovers
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Melt: The Art of Macaroni and Cheese
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • Shakespeare, Not Stirred: Cocktails for Your Everyday Dramas
Tim Federle is an award-winning writer whose works include the New York Times notable books "The Great American Whatever" and "Better Nate Than Ever," the global bestseller "Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist," and the Tony-nominated Broadway musical "Tuck Everlasting."

A native of San Francisco who grew up in Pittsburgh, Tim now divides his time between New York City and the inte
“The Pitcher of Dorian Grey” 0 likes