Start by marking “Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist” as Want to Read:
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,109 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
Grca badge winner
Congrats. You fought through War and Peace, burned through Fahrenheit 451, and sailed through Moby-Dick. All right, you nearly drowned in Moby-Dick, but you made it to shore — and you deserve a drink!

A fun gift for barflies and a terrific treat for book clubs, Tequila Mockingbird is the ultimate cocktail book for the literary obsessed. Featuring 65 delicious drink recipes
Published April 23rd 2013 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Tequila Mockingbird, please sign up.

Asho I'd say it's a combination of both. Some of them are basically the standard recipes with witty names, but about half the time they do have an…moreI'd say it's a combination of both. Some of them are basically the standard recipes with witty names, but about half the time they do have an at-least-somewhat-novel twist.(less)

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Sep 29, 2016 Heidi The Hippie Reader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
New life goals: buy this book. Read every classic mentioned within and try associated drink. (I was shocked by how few of these I'd read.)

I highly recommend this charming book of literary themed drinks. For folks who are either underage or choose not to imbibe, there are a few non-alcoholic selections and snacks included.

The book summaries are hilarious and playfully presented. Some of my favorite drink titles: "Paradise Sauced", "Are You There God? It's Me, Margarita.", and "Moby-Drink".

This is
Naomi Blackburn
May 03, 2013 Naomi Blackburn rated it it was amazing
Blog review in progress

Initial thoughts: Are you serious? A book that combines two of my favorite things...books and drinks? Yep...and this one was pure brilliant creativity! The drinks, for the most part, are unusual drinks that are paired up with books named after them. For the most part, ingredients would be easy to locate (although there are a couple that might need some searching and ordering). There are recipes for drinks for a crowd or your favorite book club. To boot, there is a recipe f
Jackie
Oct 31, 2013 Jackie added it
Shelves: nonfiction, quirk
I'm a bit surprised this is listed on Goodreads, since it's mostly a recipe book. That said, I've read the main introduction, general intros, and basically every part that's not a recipe so far (you read anything you can get your hands on on long metro rides). It's rather witty, although it skews a little bit to the "I'm pandering to a college crowd" side with its frequent mentions of red solo cups and freshman year. No reason you can't market this book to an older generation - they'd be more li ...more
David
Apr 15, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Another not-so-hidden diamond from Tim Federle. Concise, informative and always funny, I loved that the beginning included the tools you need, the equipment you need and the techniques for making a great drink. As much as I would like to, I will refrain from naming all of the 'literary' drinks that made me laugh out loud (that's LOL to anyone under 25) and just give a few of my favorite names and the resulting drink: "The Cooler Purple" made with blackberry liqueur was ca-razy good; "A Farewell ...more
Jill
Sep 29, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it
This is so cheesy and so amazing. The art, in particular, is fantastic -- sometimes hilarious, sometimes genuinely beautiful mashups of drinks with famous titles. If you like books or booze or puns or are doing a lit degree, get on it. And I may actually make some of these...
Bekah
The puns are just hilarious. I was pleased to see non-alcoholic drinks included, and pleasantly surprised that there were a few recipes for snacks as well. A fun book to read for the jokes alone, but I am actually really excited to give a lot of them a try.
Amanda Vu
Feb 22, 2017 Amanda Vu rated it it was amazing
Definitely best purchase of this year. I REGRET NOTHING.
Diane Barnes
Shelves: 2013
Neat idea - bad drinks
Gerry
Nov 09, 2015 Gerry rated it it was amazing
For a life-long teetotaller like myself to purchase a volume on cocktails, there must have been something special about the book. And there was. If the title 'Tequila Mockingbird' was not sufficient (and it was), the sub-title 'Cocktails with a Literary Twist' sealed the deal. What is more, it was money very well spent.

Tim Federle presents us with 65 recipes for literary cocktails all based on, and titled accordingly, great works of literature. And along with the recipe, and how to concoct it, i
Cait
Mar 05, 2016 Cait rated it it was amazing
everything about this is amazing
Darlene
Jan 19, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a 'drinker'.. I have an occasional glass of wine in social situations and when I was much younger, perhaps a shot or two of Tennessee whiskey. However, I needed a couple of drink ideas for a social gathering I was attending and I came across this wonderful book, "Tequila Mockingbird"! This book is divided into sections.... drinks targeted to women'; drinks suggested for men, drinks for those who don't imbibe and even a section for snacks that can be made to accompany these very ' ...more
Linnie Greene
Nov 05, 2013 Linnie Greene rated it it was amazing
While it operates on a literary, theme-centric conceit, this is still my very favorite, most practical cocktail book. Others have either been too boring (alright, we get it, you mix orange juice and vodka) or too intricate (heat the rind of a persimmon to exactly 375 degrees, then sautee it in a dark rum reduction, etc. etc.). This one falls in that perfect middle place -- whimsical and exciting, like Remembrance of Things Pabst, which blends earl grey and PBR, but also highly practical like the ...more
Bebe (Sarah) Brechner
Jun 28, 2013 Bebe (Sarah) Brechner rated it it was amazing
A fantastically entertaining little book that gives a witty look at original cocktail recipes that are aligned with literature classics (and some not-so-classic). I adore the author's humor. This excerpt from the introduction sums up the tone: "Let's get a little stupid and look a little smart. Even if you don't have a BA in English, tonight you're gonna drink like you do."

Recipes such as Tequila Mockingbird, A Cocktail of Two Cities, and Absinthe Shrugged are just a few of the wonderfully named
Nancy
Dec 04, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book that I think I may have to buy copies to give out as Christmas gifts this year! LOVED IT! Had me cracking up as only a true literary nerd can crack up over a book like this.
Kyle Kimmal
May 08, 2013 Kyle Kimmal rated it it was amazing
We all need a new mixology book like another martini. Come on you know it is true. I found my summer cocktail in this book. Anyone in a book club MUST get this book! The humor and references to the cannon make surviving a book club fun.
Sydney
Apr 24, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing before I even passed the table of contents! I can't wait to use Tequila Mockingbird, Cocktails with a Literary Twist for my next cocktail party. Fun AND useful! Federle's wit is unparalleled.
Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
A unique take on cocktails. I enjoyed this book more for the descriptions of the books (and the illustrations) than the cocktail recipes. He described them with humor and dry wit. Some of the recipes were intriguing, but I may just stay with hard apple cider.
Aeicha
Apr 09, 2013 Aeicha rated it it was amazing
This is perfect for any booknerd! My sister and I sat down and read (and laughed!) it all in an hour. We found some awesome new drinks to try and enjoyed the humorous brief book synopses. Definitely the classiest group of drinks around!
Ruan Peat
Dec 03, 2013 Ruan Peat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-loved
I loved this book, the recpies and the puns made me giggle out loud, the theme is well done and runs all the way through it, not a weak page! my book of the winter!
Katie
Dec 24, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
One of the most thoughtful and hilarious Christmas gifts imaginable!
Gayan
Feb 07, 2014 Gayan rated it it was amazing
I am going to work my way through this book and drink one of each.
Scott
Oct 20, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing
I like to read. I like to drink! What's not to love about this cheeky thing!
Mary Catherine
Apr 11, 2013 Mary Catherine rated it it was amazing
I basically want to make every cocktail in this book -- then read excerpts of the book it's based on while I drink.
Elina
Nov 22, 2015 Elina rated it it was amazing
Gone with the wine, Moby Drink, Romeo and Julep, Gin Eyre...and many more to try!
Holly Harding
Jul 15, 2017 Holly Harding rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs this book in their life. Drink recipes AND puns about books and booze?! Say no more.
Emily
Mar 16, 2017 Emily rated it it was amazing
Oh my. This book is phenomenal. Such wit. I can't wait to actually make some of these cocktails. It in the meantime, this book was sheer joy just to read cover to cover. I highly recommend it.
Julia
May 25, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it
Of course a ‘Tequila Mockingbird’ has to have tequila in it, but it seems to me it should also have moonshine, as well. The author makes the drink with 1 ounces of tequila, two drops of hot sauce (for the sour justice system) served in a shot glass and a dill pickle, for Scout’s friend Dill. (45) A ‘Crime and Punish-mint’ is 1 ounces vodka, ounce of coffee liqueur, ounce of crème de menthe, and light or heavy cream, served over the rocks. The illustrator pictures the drink in a handcuff. (55 ...more
Jessica
Apr 24, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cookbook
How could I possibly resist this book when I saw it on the new releases shelf at the library?!? Subtitled "Cocktails with a Literary Twist", this little book is a witty twist on a cocktail recipe book. Each cocktail has a name inspired by a book title and along with the recipe there is a cute, humorous synopsis of the book. The book includes cocktails such as Bridget Jones' Daquiri, Gin Eyre, Love in the Time of Kahlua, and The Last of the Mojitos. The book also contains some recipes for bar sna ...more
LiteraryMarie
Nov 19, 2013 LiteraryMarie rated it really liked it
Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist is a clever tribute that should be displayed on every bookheart's bar or coffee table. It is the perfect cocktail book for the literary obsessed! About 65 drink recipes are named after classic novels. The book also includes drinking games, special gulps for guys, bar bites (appetizers), a glossary and illustrations. Charm your guests by trying a few of these cocktails during your next book club meeting or holiday gathering.

Literary Marie of Pr
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • The Drunken Botanist: The Plants That Create the World's Great Drinks
  • Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Celebrate: A Year of Festivities for Families and Friends
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom
  • Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals
  • The Vintage Tea Party Book
  • True Blood: Eats, Drinks, and Bites from Bon Temps
  • Moosewood Restaurant Favorites: The 250 Most-Requested, Naturally Delicious Recipes from One of America's Best-Loved Restaurants
  • Handwritten Recipes: A Bookseller's Collection of Curious and Wonderful Recipes Forgotten Between the  Pages
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • Cocktails for Book Lovers
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Let's Bring Back: The Cocktail Edition: A Compendium of Impish, Romantic, Amusing, and Occasionally Appalling Potations from Bygone Eras
  • Seriously Delish: 150 Recipes for People Who Totally Love Food
Tim Federle is an award-winning writer whose works include the New York Times notable books "The Great American Whatever" and "Better Nate Than Ever," the global bestseller "Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist," and the Tony-nominated Broadway musical "Tuck Everlasting."

A native of San Francisco who grew up in Pittsburgh, Tim now divides his time between New York City and the inte
More about Tim Federle...

“The Pitcher of Dorian Grey” 0 likes