Start by marking “You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  133,553 ratings  ·  9,414 reviews
The #1 New York Times Bestseller You Are A Badass is the self-help book for people who desperately want to improve their lives but don't want to get busted doing it.

In this refreshingly entertaining how-to guide, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author and world-traveling success coach, Jen Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, sage
Published April 23rd 2013 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about You Are a Badass, please sign up.
Jess I quit at 28%; the author needs to get an editor. I took a photo of the phrase "rill protective" it's real. Totally wishing I wouldn't have paid for i…moreI quit at 28%; the author needs to get an editor. I took a photo of the phrase "rill protective" it's real. Totally wishing I wouldn't have paid for it. Marked it as finished at 28%, because it's just not "rilly" working for me.(less)
Kathryn Cope This book would make a perfect graduation gift. If this book doesn't inspire her to do something wonderful with her life then nothing will. I wish I h…moreThis book would make a perfect graduation gift. If this book doesn't inspire her to do something wonderful with her life then nothing will. I wish I had been given it when I graduated.(less)

·  133,553 ratings  ·  9,414 reviews

Start your review of You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
Michel
May 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
"It's not enough to desire something, you've got to want it"
Seriously?
Chelsey
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Did I just get tricked into reading a rip-off of The Secret because I liked the title?
Karen
Jul 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club-s, have
Not good. I can sum up this book pretty quickly. If you want to make a change in your life, or if you are not happy with your life, you are the only one who can make it better. There were a few things that really bothered me. If you are depressed, you cannot simply decide that you are not going to be depressed anymore and get yourself out and have fun. It is apparent that the author has never experienced depression, or been a very sympathetic friend to anyone she knows who has been depressed. I ...more
Laura Bradbury
*** PSA: Vent Alert***

I didn't give this review a low rating because Sicero is a bad writer - she is perfectly effective for the task at hand and actually her appealing "ra-ra-go-get'em" voice is what drew me in to begin with. I ultimately bailed however, as I have a Big Problem with the central thesis of this book. Basically it all boils down to the theory that everyone has the power to "manifest" their own reality and if things are not working out for them it is because they are not manifestin
Jun 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I read one and a half chapters and then stumbled on the whole idea of source energy. If I want some real change in my life, I want real tips and not some esoteric mumbo jumbo. I'm also a bit peeved that the author mentioned in the very beginning that her readers should be open minded about her methods, and if they weren't they should just deal with living a sucky life. As if her methods were the only working ones.
So I hardly have to mention that I stopped reading it immediately.
Alexandra Plesa
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
If no one tells me to love myself for the next five years, that would be great.
Carolyn Francis
Feb 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
A friend, who will remain nameless for her personal safety, told me that this book changed her life. I am so very happy for her. What I took from Jen Sincero's self-help-memoir was: that I am most definitely not a "badass", that I'm really, really fine with that, and that reading about it did not make me want to "share my awesomeness with the world" so much as contemplate a life of violent crime. Please do not ever, ever read it.
description

OMG, this book was so, so good. The message was exactly what I needed to hear. So much craziness is going on in my life right now and I find myself doubting my greatness every...single...day.

The point Jen Sincero makes in this self-help book is we are all great, we all have enormous potential, we all possess the power to succeed at absolutely everything we direct our energy towards, but we are also our very own obstacle. Ms. Sincero identifies common thought processes and behaviors that keep us
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Sep 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
I got the audio of this on sale and I love the title -- but that was the thing I loved the most about it. When I started listening to it, I thought -- okay, maybe a little too "woo-woo" for me, but the tone is fun and it moves quickly and the audio was the right length for the rest of my ride. As I kept listening, I decided it was ok, not great, but some useful tips. Decided I probably wouldn't review it since I don't usually do reviews if I don't have something positive to say. And then I got t ...more
Emmy
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was Badass!!!! If you have any mental barriers that are holding you back from achieving your goals then this book is for you! You have to be comfortable with some colorful language, and the idea of the Law of Attraction, but if you're open minded you will get a lot from this book. I've read a lot of books on this subject, but this one was so much more in your face (in a good way) and more easy to put into practice. I plan to read it again right away to make sure I get the full effect!
Miranda Reads
Served with a healthy dose of humor, a smidge of sarcasm and plenty of great quotes, Jen Sincero dishes her take on self-help, self- acceptance and (of course) self-love.

This has all the hallmarks of a Self-Help book - cheesy one-liners and a perky "You CAN do it" attitude. I honestly expected it to be just another cookie cutter how to become the real you. Bleh. Needless to say, I was totally ready to hate it.

Yet, the more I read, the more I enjoyed hearing her advice. She's hilarious
Amy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Technically I didn't finish this book. But I read 82% of it, all the while growing more and more unimpressed, until finally I got to the point that I just had to stop. My kindle says there's 33 minutes left for me to read. But I've decided I want those 33 minutes to myself.

This book is basically a regurgitation of all other self-help kind of writings but with a "fun and hip" tone, or something. Often this "devil may care" quality feels forced. There are some parts of this book that could be very
Heidi
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
At first I really liked this book. I laughed my ass off. I kept thinking, "yes! That's exactly what I do!" But then...the book kinda started going down the same old self help book road. Still there were some funny bits, but there was nothing new or earth shattering. And then there was the chapter on money and finances that really left a sour taste in my mouth. So superficial. And sad. After that, nothing could make it better. I was half heartedly reading just to finish and check it off my list. ...more
Jessica Jeffers
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I think some of the ideas in here are on the right track, but her "just do it" kind of attitude is shortsighted and potentially harmful for someone who is dealing with actual mental health issues like depression and anxiety. There is a way to believe that I am a badass capable of overcoming my self-doubt and my other obstacles, but I don't think Jen Sincero is going to help me with that.
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I liked the message of positivity in this book but there were some things that didn't vibe with me. My takeaway is to work on positive thinking.
Mehrsa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I actually finished this book. This is total garbage. If you want money to come to you, just buy that expensive audi and think about money. She actually says in there that the difference between poor people and rich people are their THOUGHTS about money--and not the circumstances they were born into. What dangerous thinking.
✰ Liz ✰
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In an effort to broaden my reading horizon, I have made it a goal to read some inspirational books that will help me grow! This book was very helpful and offers some great skills and techniques to apply to your life so that you can be a BADASS!

*I listened to this book on audible.com!

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:
Monika Sadowski
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of motivation books and this one is no different but the way author motivated me was much more pleasurable and definitely more funny. Great audiobook.
Nikki Jefford
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is Bad! Ass!

I don't think I've ever laughed out loud that many times while reading, though comic relief is not the intent. The whole purpose of the book is to freakin' change your life already. Make a difference. Love what you do. Love yourself. Love your life. Put your best foot forward again and again.

Are you where you want to be in your life? Doing what you want? Living where you want?

You have to want it, crave it, need it - can't live without it! If that's the place you're in, this
Katie Miller
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Literally finished this book and immediately jumped into taking action. It reminded me how much of a badass I truly am and finally helped me overcome my fears. Never again will I doubt my faith and the awesomeness that I WILL bring to this world. Everything is available to me and I deserve it. Here I come world. :)
Julie Ehlers
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Page 238: Hang out with people who are kicking ass and will make you feel like a giant loser if you're not kicking ass, too. I (obviously) can't stress this enough.

NOW you tell me.

I'm not a fan of "tough love." I understand it's necessary in some situations, but for example, if I were on The Biggest Loser, there is NO WAY I would choose the personal trainer who bellows and screams at everyone as if she's lost her marbles. That sort of thing would make me angry but it wouldn't really motivate me.
David
Jul 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, self-help
This book might be helpful to some people. But to me, when I hear sentences like the following:
"All of us are connected to this limitless power, and most of us aren't using but a fraction of it"

or

"The universe is made up of source energy. All energy vibrates at a certain frequency, which means you're vibrating at a certain frequency, and everything you desire and don't desire is also vibrating at a certain frequency. Vibration attracts like vibration. Otherwise known as the law of attraction."

I
Dóri
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-english
I don't think any book has ever annoyed me like this one and that's saying something. I pushed through only because I wanted to check it off of my TBR. And because I was listening to it and didn't have anything else to listen to, so it was convinient while cleaning. Though.. There were times when I actually sad 'SHUT UP!' out loud because she was saying so ignorant bullshits.

1.) No, I don't have a low amount of money because I am afraid of it or hate it. We're actually quite good friends.
2.) No,
Alex
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I saw this at the airport in St. Louis and liked its affirmation that I was, indeed, a badass, so I decided to check it out from the library when I got back home. Honestly, who buys books at airports anymore? So expensive.

Now, this book would have me believe that it doesn't matter that this book is expensive, because if I truly feel that money will manifest itself in my future, then so it shall be. While I like the unbridled optimism that Sincero brings to this kinda half-baked self-help book, I
amy ☂︎
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
actually kinda helpful for a self-help book

rating: ★★★½
Skyler Autumn
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Jen Sincero is a badass who woke up from her mundane existence (THE BIG SNOOZE) and began throwing all her money, time and energy into the process of getting her true life back on track.

This book is like the cliff notes or the cheat sheet to all self help books everywhere. Which is why I loved it!! Instead of drawing out the formula to spirituality and meditation she gives you snippets of doable and less intimidating passages. This helps you take the beginning steps toward your badass-
Kelsey Marie
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
*****The full review of this book can be read at Darling & Co.*****

I was really excited for this book. I have the day-by-day calendar and I love it. It's posts are quick and witty and there's a bonus on the back of every day that tells you something interesting, or is a little puzzle, or something to get you thinking. It's great. The book version was...a let down, for a few reasons.

Between the repetitiveness, Jen insulting the reader, and the big one, talking more about herself than actually how
Steven Walle
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Their was some very insightful concepts introduced to improve our inner self talk and the way we think of our own accomplishments.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Badasses SO rule!

I don't know why or how or wtf but this book was actually unexpectedly good.

While most of the ideas were not all that new, still the end result was astonishingly motivating. I think I just clicked with this book.

Q:
There’s nothing as unstoppable as a freight train full of fuck-yeah. (c)
Q:
You're here. I'm here. I love you. I'm gonna pee all over the floor about it. (c) Ewww!
Q:
The only failure is quitting. Everything else is just gathering information. (c)
You cut yourself off fr
Stephen Antczak
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book is marketed as no-nonsense and plain-spoken, and it is definitely the latter, but has as much nonsense in it as any self-help book. There is, however, a lot of interesting information in here and I think can be a motivating to many people. You just have to get past what amounts to a bunch of sentient universe mumbo-jumbo, including the idea that, following this author's advice, you will always magically get "rock star" parking at the mall, etc. I suspect that when she does get a great ...more

• Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
  • Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World
Jen Sincero is a #1 New York Times Bestselling author, speaker and success coach who has helped countless people transform their personal and professional lives via her public appearances, private sessions, coaching seminars and, most recently, her latest #1 NY Times Bestselling book, "You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life".

She’s spoken on stages al

News & Interviews

“If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse.” 195 likes
“You are responsible for what you say and do. You are not responsible for whether or not people freak out about it.” 156 likes