Start by marking “V is for Vulnerable: An Alphabet for People Who Want to Make a Difference” as Want to Read:
V is for Vulnerable: An Alphabet for People Who Want to Make a Difference

V is for Vulnerable: An Alphabet for People Who Want to Make a Difference

This full-color “adult ABC book” feels just like the picture books you grew up with. But it’s not for kids, it’s for you and anyone who works as hard as you do. It makes a perfect companion to The Icarus Deception, highlighting a key riff in that book and featuring illustrations by the web’s favorite cartoonist, Hugh MacLeod. It captures 26 of Seth Godin’s principles about ...more
Published December 27th 2012 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about V is for Vulnerable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about V is for Vulnerable

Start your review of V is for Vulnerable: An Alphabet for People Who Want to Make a Difference
Jon Nakapalau
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just the book for your inner child!
Lisa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am moved!!!

This book is a special little gem. The simple illustrations and layout mask its profound message. In the beginning it says, "Read this book out loud to someone you care about". So Chris (husband) and I took turns reading each page. We both really loved it. This book perfectly captures the spirit of the one who gave it to me, which makes me love it even more. And I'm so glad that I own a copy, because I'll definitely want to re-read it (and steal quotes for various things such as gr
Rachelle
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have this peculiar and superstitious notion that books seek you out sometimes when you really need them. My son ran up to me earlier today at the American Book Center and pretty much forced me to sit down and read this book to him. I think it took a little extra prompting because usually I wouldn't be caught dead with something that even remotely smelled like self-help. But this book hit me at the right second of my life, and it was glorious. That's why I believe there is something bigger, bri ...more
Ian
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very powerful little book.

Seth draws his inspiration for this little gem from Dr Seuss, who taught him to read. We're told this in the shot introduction that concludes with:

" I want you to do what you've you're meant to do, what we're all meant to do, which is the hard work of creating art.

The artist wonders, `How can I break this?' and `Is it interesting?'

Go break something."

This is an "ABC book for Grown-ups". Two pages for each letter (except LMNO) illustrated in a wacky irreverent
Nabeel Hassan
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick tips to avoid somethings build inside you unconsciously, try it it’s small booklet.
Shannon McGee
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
There seems to be a trend of books that look like they are for children but written for adults. There are adult coloring books and picturebooks on writing or life. This picture book
from Seth Godin is on the abc’s of motivating to create art.

In some ways I felt this book, with it’s motivational words of wisdom, reminded me of another author’s speech about creating art and that author is Neil Gaiman. It’s a wonderful speech and if you haven’t heard or read look for it on the interwebs. This pict
Laura Nelson
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the universe does work in magical ways. And after disappointing news and wondering WTF I am doing, a coworker drops this on my desk. All letters are impacting, warranty hit the nail on the head "your art might not work and your career might not work either. I it doesn't work today, it might not work tomorrow either. But our practice is to persist until it does". It's a coffee break read. That everyone should read.
Mollie
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who says adults don't need picture books? To me, they are the most comforting books there are. And ironically, Life Ourside the Comfort Zone is no exception.

Having a day when you feel lost? Find your way back to yourself with this book. Feeling like your way of reaching out to the world leaves you empty handed? Curl up with this book. Experiencing that stranger in a strange land thing? Turn the page in Godin's book and feel at home.

Brent Mair
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is simple and straightforward in presentation, an Alphabet Book for adults. Seth Godin's message is presented within this format, but it is a message that I don't find simple. I believe, but I need a book like this to remind me of what I need to do to obtain my dreams.
Gerald
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I is a quick read and designed to be one. Yet, it is also to be read over and over again. So to rate this as an already read book is a half truth. I will be reading it over and over because I want to continue to change and breakthrough.
Priscilla
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun very quick read (about 15 minutes) although it can be re-read over and over. Even though the book keeps referring to art, all the words and ideas can refer to life ... especially if you live life as art.

Enjoy!
Dane Cobain
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is quirky enough because it’s basically a children’s book for adults. Godin takes you through the alphabet while offering advice on how to think and act if you want to be successful. It’s okay, I guess, but kind of a throwaway. So so.

Ben Nesvig
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Soon to be a perfect graduation gift for many.
Victor
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
a bit short, could use an extended version to explain each point in more detail. But I guess I'm missing the point here.
Megan
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
ABCs for grownups addressing the artist in us
Kumiko Mae LovingSunshine
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a comfort read! I need this in my library asap!
Adam Ashton
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want more. Simple, short, sharp, succinct, super, spot on... Seth.
Tony Moze
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute, quick, kid type ADULT Book.
حسناء
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love it .
Peter DeHaan
Though this looks like a picture book for kids, it’s really a creative package of encouragement for adults.
Anya
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Go-go-go! :)
Mischa Wegdam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
If you see art as the same thing David Deida calls your gift, this is a wonderfully short but meaningful book.
Eugi
Apr 28, 2020 added it
Shelves: children-books
a few words adults should know
frogfairie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf
Not what I was expecting but still a fun, quick read.
Frank Davis
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I want to say I actually liked it. I like much of what Seth has offered, and this was in many ways consistant with the best he tends to give. Many of the ideas were fanciful enough, the premise (an ABC repurposed), various lines ('L' is for LMNO, which used to be one letter...") and concepts - it's ALMOST all there.
What gets in my way is the way the alphabet framework either forces choices or it wasn't editted enough, that the book keeps referring to art - not business or marketing (is this abo
Shanella
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, signed
Seth Godin, author and marketer, is kind of a big deal in the marketing world. He wrote a number of bestsellers and V is for Vulnerable is his first picture book for grownups.

He goes through the entire alphabet and imparts little pieces of wisdom like,

"Initiative is the privilege of picking yourself. You're not given initiative, you take it."

There were a couple that I frowned and scratched my head about but overall it was a rather enjoyable - and easy - read.
Linda Tapp
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I really like Seth Godin's books and I wanted to like this more but it was just okay. A few of the descriptions that followed Some of the letters were really good and I am likely to re-read them but others really didn't help me learn anything new. I may share it with my children.
Hepburn
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a small picture book, but it expressed food for thoughts in simple words. I enjoyed looking at each picture, too.
Natalie Tos byington
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. I bought one for each of youngest son's teachers, school counselor, psychologist, for work and home. Not just a kid's book, but one for child and parent together.
Sheyla

• Musashi
  • Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity
  • The 33 Strategies of War
  • The Warrior Ethos
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • The Fate of Fausto
  • A River Runs Through it and Other Stories
  • Let Me Be Frank With You
  • If Life Is a Game, These Are the Rules: Ten Rules for Being Human as Introduced in Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • Between Them: Remembering My Parents
  • How to Ikigai: Lessons for Finding Happiness and Living Your Life's Purpose
  • The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life
  • Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers: A Survey of Their Basic Ideas
  • Solitude: A Return to the Self
  • Bedtime for Frances
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust