Start by marking “The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms” as Want to Read:

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an extremely debilitating anxiety condition that can occur after exposure to a terrifying event or ordeal. Although many know that this mental health issue affects veterans of war, many may not know that it also affects victims of domestic violence, sexual violence, natural disasters, crime, car accidents and accidents in the workpl ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by New Harbinger Publications (first published March 31st 2002)

Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*I received my copy of this workbook through First Reads. That does not guarantee a positive or rave review, just because it was free.*

By no means should a person self diagnose a psychological or medical condition. That said, PTSD is one of the easier illnesses to recognize or to self-realize. "Oh. I've been through a Bad Thing. When I am in a similar situation - or when I am just walking down the street and I hear a noise that is similar to the noise in that situation, I freak out. I should pro
Brian Satterfield
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very easy and yet difficult workbook to go through. I chose to unlearn the toxicity of my childhood sexual abuse with the help of an LPC and weekly assignments from this book for about 5-6 months.
Jeromy Runion
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who has ever experienced any type of trauma in their iLife, this book is a must have on your road to recovery.
Donna Hines
Clear , Precise, Informative would best describe this workbook.
Ideal for workers in the field, for victims of PTSD, and for those simply interested in the area of self help and inner wellness and recovery from trauma.
Readers can expect to learn self compassion while being able to sharpen their own personal resilience.
A treasure trove of information and insight into the recovery process.
Highly Recommend!
Lisa Wright
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this workbook. There was a lot of great information for recognizing and understanding the symptoms of PTSD, but not so much on how to overcome them. The questionnaires are helpful to get you in touch with how you feel and react, and why...but I think most people already know that. My hopes were to learn techniques to overcome those feelings and reactions, since, you know, that is the title of the book! Unfortunately, the only techniques offered were very simplistic, and wer ...more
Leonard
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a workbook which means that if you really want to get the most out of it you have to have your own copy and fill all the blanks and answer the questions. It's big, over 350 pages, and will take some time but the exercise will probably be worth it. If you have PTSD and want to work at dealing with it, this would probably be one relatively inexpensive way to do that. It looks very promising and I plan to try it myself, although it's difficult to give it a rating before actually doing it.
Lorraine Coleman
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways

I found the exercises helpful and it is a good workbook to have in the home to refer back to. If you have PTSD but still are relatively mentally stable you can work on this alone at your own pace. But I would recommend anyone with severe PTSD or multiple mental health and health issues to use this book in conjunction with their therapist and doctors.

Miles
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it

This book gives some great real life examples of how to work through PTSD. PTSD is very destructive to those who suffer through it and I would recommend anyone struggling with PTSD to get help.
Julie Fiandt
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I refer to it constantly in my work with survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence; it's highly informative and readable. My only critique is that it fails to give a simple definition of trauma before delving into defining PTSD, an important clarification for anyone newly exploring trauma and PTSD.
Ashlie Gillis-Nelson
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great workbook for those in the mental health field. I think this would be great to use in classrooms for teaching also. The techniques are explained very well and I think this would also be wonderful for someone who is struggling with PTSD. I plan on sharing this book with others and would recommend it.
Shannon
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the best workbook I've seen for PTSD. Was terrific to do this workbook on an ongoing basis with other PTSD sufferers. Would love to do it again in a group, coupled with meditation and art therapy exercises.
Chelsea Merkley
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I read a a few chapters and was not impressed.

There were several unneeded swear words which curtailed my interest.

Taking the online course at the U of U was on Dealing with Traumatic Experiences; was way more informative than this Workbook.

Chelsea Merkley
Sarah Lynn
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love the updates and additions and the layout is more user-friendly. This book is a must for therapists!
L.A. Jacob
Jul 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't need it much.
Valiree
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have found this book a wonderful help. My husband was deployed and we've been doing this together.
Amanda
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seems useful/insightful so far. :)
Tina
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-psych
This has been so effective in my work with clients overcoming trauma.
Rachel Jessen
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
Love this one. It is a great compilation of skills/techniques.
Carolyn
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, therapy
Found I needed a more holistic response.
Sphinx Feathers
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Helpful albeit bizarre at times.
Shirl
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mental-health
A little difcult to follow and hold my attention. Good for CBT therpists but I am person centred, so struggled with it.
Rosalinda
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
It had good information but I was hoping it would have more about PTSD from domestic violence.
Mary Allen
Jul 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone dealing with PTSD
My top pick if you're looking for info on PTSD. It's a do-it-yourself therapy guide.
A.C. Bauch
Taking a break from this until further notice. (Tired of seeing the poor thing languishing on my "currently reading" list...)
Crystal Fair-Judson
May 21, 2014
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
  • Secret Survivors
  • Rebuilding Shattered Lives: Treating Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders
  • The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • Boundaries: Workbook
  • The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence: The Liberating Experience of Facing Painful Truth
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease
  • The Emotionally Abused Woman: Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse
  • EMDR: The Breakthrough ""Eye Movement"" Therapy For Overcoming Anxiety, Stress, And Trauma