Start by marking “The Complete Novels of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Complete Novels of Jane Austen

The Complete Novels of Jane Austen

Jane Austen revolutionized the literary romance, using it as a platform from which to address issues of gender politics and class consciousness among the British middle-class of the late eighteenth century. The novels included in the collection - Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, and Lady Susan - represent all o ...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Race Point Publishing (first published January 28th 1813)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, please sign up.
Morgan Well it's more than one novel...
Shauna Jane Austen's novels are in the public domain, and you can get them for free on Kindle. You can either search for it directly on Amazon in "free…moreJane Austen's novels are in the public domain, and you can get them for free on Kindle. You can either search for it directly on Amazon in "free ebooks", or use a website I enjoy www.loyalbooks.com. This website has thousands of audiobooks and ebooks for free in the public domain. If you get in somewhere other than amazon, make sure you are downloading a mobi file, as that is the one compatible with a kindle.(less)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Here’s my list of Austen novels, from favourite to least favourite:

1. Persuasion- My favourite Austen! It is the shortest and the one with the most enduring romance plot. And it is also the one where she attacks society with the most vigour. Not a word is wasted: it is compact and moves quickly.

“I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.”

description

2. Sense and Sensibility- Two protagonists for
Michelle
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

--"Pride and Prejudice"

This famous opening may not hold true in this day and age, but I would definitely acknowledge the truth that Jane Austen is, hands down, a genius! I could now honestly say, that I have never encountered an "Austen" I didn't like (and since I've read all of them... NEVER!). All the novels accurately portray the realities of their day, the plotting and schemi
Tirzah
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Okay, hands down, Jane Austen is a genius! Who, on this earth and at the tender age of 21, could write a book as brilliant as Pride and Prejudice? I don’t think I know many people – let alone 21 year olds – who have such a deep understanding of the inner workings of human nature and character and who are then able to portray that understanding in to words on paper so beautifully and perfectly like Jane Austen did in her books – especially Pride and Prejudice. But we certainly cannot forget the g ...more
Mandy
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Jane Austen- I try to read her once a year. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility are true classics, and Emma and Persuasion are also wonderful. I cannot personally stand Fanny Price from Mansfield Park, but even a so-so Jane Austen is better than your average bestseller today.

Austen's ability to expose the foibles of her characters without actually holding them in disdain is what makes her books so enjoyable. Can you eviscerate someone with a fluffy knife? Not a good image, but
E.A. Bucchianeri
I used to share Mark Twain's sentiments ...

Mark Twain was not an admirer of Jane Austen’s work as he once declared: “I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read “Pride and Prejudice” I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

My first introduction to Austen’s famous romances was “Pride and Prejudice”. Like Mark Twain, her writing
Morgan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
What hasn't been said about Jane Austen? Not only is she arguably the greatest female writer of all time, she is also arguably one of the greatest writers of all time. She is in the same status as Shakespeare and Dickens. Chances are you've heard her name if you are a reader. I still think she is important to English literature as well as the language.

I was never really fond of Austen before reading her books. For the longest time I thought she was either this snooty bitchy writer or she was chi
Patrick
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Jane Austen can be deemed one of the best classic authors of all time. Women have loved her for ages and rightly so. Her stories are filled with characters who are well rounded and believable. The only novels I didn't like were Emma and Mansfield Park. Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion I liked the most.

It was interesting to read these "chick lit" novels from a man's point of view. As a guy, I'm not the mushy-gushy kind. I like my Les Miserables, Count of Monte Cristo, and War and Peace. When I
Anna Kristina
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Pride and Prejudice (five stars)

Persuasion (three stars)
I enjoyed this one, perhaps because it wasn't quite as obvious how everything would play out (not the ending, but how it would get there). enjoyable!

Emma (four stars)
I really enjoyed this... I think I can connect to Emma the best out of all the Jane Austen heroines I've met so far, at least as far as personality, not necessarily matchmaking. And can understand things blowing up in your face and regretting decisions... seriously, who can't?
Kimberley doruyter
one piece of advice don't read all of jane austens books like this
the size of this book means it doubles as a murder weapon
i love the stories
Leesa
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite is Pride and Prejudice. It makes me smile. Great characters and well developed story line. A romance that won't make you blush.
Vivian
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love that this book got all of Jane Austen's work. My favorite will always be Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensability.
Robert
Dec 25, 2013 is currently reading it
Sense and Sensibility **

This to me feels like a proto-Pride and Prejudice, showing flashes of the genius for sly wit and sardonic character observations that P&P is renowned for but not the same skill with plot and pacing and a surprisingly anaemic set of romantic interests for the young sisters. It reminds me of reading early Shakespeare; it shows promise of what is to come later but on its own it doesn't justify the author's reputation.

Pride and Prejudice ****
Sara
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read all of these several times before, I cannot say there is any surprise...but by heaven there is joy...in them. No one paints her time with so much style and realism as Austen. She is the rarest of storytellers, whose language alone delights.
Nick Black
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fluency with Jane Austen is a practical necessity for dating smart girls, and hey! she's hilarious to boot. Admittedly, once you've read Pride and Prejudice you've pretty much read them all, except Mansfield Park which is just godawful and ought have been expurgated. Be prepared for a lot of lines like this, which are laugh-out-loud funny upon first reading, but become progressively less funny each time you encounter them:

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.

Anyway, a
Irena
Jul 02, 2015 marked it as to-read
When I saw this beautiful edition in a bargain section in a bookstore, I just couldn't control myself so I bought it.

Now, I'm on a mission to read all of these 7 novels in a year, starting from today, July 2015.
Jeanette
Sep 11, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-adult
Making my way through all seven Jane austen novels. So far, Pride and Prejudice is still my favorite.
Amy
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well its only been like five years since I first started reading this! I finally finished Lady Susan. An excellent collection.
Erin
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goal for the summer was to re-read Jane Austen's novels in their entirety. And I'm happy to say, I'm finished. It's been some time since I sat down to read any of her novels. I've probably watched the movies more than I've actually sat down to read them. I know many people do an annual reading of her works. I'm not sure I could do that - but would instead place them into the "read these books at different times of your life" category.

It always amazes me how these novels still resonate today.
Kacey
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course, my favorite Jane Austen novel is Pride and Prejudice. There are just so many aspects to this novel that I love, and the fact that both main characters are so seemingly different, but end up being so similar is genius. I love how this book is a more "proper" version of a timeless tale of love and misunderstanding.

What I enjoyed even more was to find that Jane Austen wrote many of her characters in a similar way. Most of her main female characters are strong willed and sure of themselve
☣Lynn☣
Doing some cleaning and found this in a box of old VHS tapes. Wonder how the fuck this got in there? I totally forgot my fiancé bought me this for Valentines Day three years ago. :) Now that I know where it is, maybe I'll crack this big boy open sometime soon.
Danica
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a true Jane Austen fan. I love reading these stories over and over. Truly classic romances for every woman to read and love.
Natalie
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Austen is just a great writer that everyone should read.
Jamie
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: undergrad
I've spent a semester getting through this massive volume (for a class, I should say), and I figure I'll do mini-reviews for each novel rather than anything similarly massive. So let's give it a whirl.

Sense and Sensibility: This is actually the only Austen novel I've read on multiple occasions, so I have a bit more familiarity with it than any of the other five. This is, in my humble opinion, a fairly dark novel for Austen. Marianne's melodrama is of course frequently mocked, but Elinor's resign
Myra
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving Jane Austen as I do I was thrilled when my daughter surprised me with a copy of her complete novels. If you enjoy the weight of a book in your hands, and you love Jane Austen, this is the book for you.

I must admit that I skipped Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice because I had only recently re-read them. So I skipped to Mansfield Park, read straight through that, and followed with Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion and Lady Susan. I loved them all, and I believe I have a new f
Carrie Johnson
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Pride & Predjudice. I've read it millions of times before, so of course I love it.I love everything about the tale- even the characters we are supposed to hate.Sometimes my pity for the Wickhams flip flops between Mr. Wickham and Lydia.This time I felt so sorry for Mr.Wickham to be stuck with such an insipid girl as Lydia.(Sometimes I feel sorry for Lydia that she is too stupid to realize that she will never make her husband happy short of falling into a lot of money.) I always feel a ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I got this anthology for a class and I thought it might be easier to put this up rather than each Jane Austen novel. I really liked it, and it's portable being a normal sized paperback; just thicker. But since I love Jane Austen, this is perfect for me! I really like Sense and Sensability the best, of course, followed by Pride and Prejudice. Emma, Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey were good as well, but this is a great way to read all of her works without a large hardback anthology that is sui ...more
Julie
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Austin is one of my all time favorite authors. I have adored every single novel of hers!! Even though she is a classical author, her books are in no way stuffy or hard reads. She questions such topical themes as her titles suggest "pride and prejudice" and "sense and sensibility" with such wonderful humor and such passionate and extravagant characters. Her novels are always fun to read, hard to put down, and leave you wanting more. I'd recommend ANY Jane Austin book (though they are undoubt ...more
Chelsea
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished _Sense and Sensibility_ on May 17, 2012.
I finished _Pride and Prejudice_ on March 6, 2013.
I finished _Mansfield Park_ in May of 2014.
I finished _Emma_ on July 22, 2015.
I finished _Northanger Abbey_ on June 24, 2016.
I finished _Persuasion_ on June 15, 2017.
I finished _Lady Susan_ on July 26, 2018
Belinda Rule
New impressions of P&P upon rereading while Old: Mr Bennet is a tool! The leads are tiny babies! I hope Darcy's conversation skills improve in private! <3 Now to rewatch the Only Adaptation Of Importance.
Nikel27
A New Jane Austen Novel book for my collection
Goodreads Librari...: please combine 6 22 Apr 05, 2019 06:03AM
If I love Jane Austen, What should I read next? 17 564 Aug 17, 2014 01:47AM
Modern Good Reads: Jane Austen 14 44 Oct 15, 2013 02:10AM
Willougby and Wickham 4 17 Aug 11, 2013 05:25AM
So, I have an old question...who is your favourite Jane Austen guy and why? 7 42 Mar 03, 2013 03:47AM
Jane Austen as muse 6 15 Feb 06, 2013 04:58PM
What do you think about this article? 3 7 Nov 12, 2012 07:04PM

• Charlotte and  Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels
  • Four Complete Novels: Great Expectations/Hard Times/A Christmas Carol/A Tale of Two Cities
  • Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre
  • The Yale Shakespeare Complete Works
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure
  • The Bronte Sisters - The Complete Novels + Extras
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Complete Stories and Poems
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • Anna Karenina
  • Selected Works of Virginia Woolf
  • Jane Fairfax
  • Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentr
“Every thing was safe enough and she smiled over the many anxious feelings she had wasted on the subject.” 1 likes
“do not” 0 likes