Start by marking “Opera A to Z: A Beginner's Guide to Opera” as Want to Read:
Opera A to Z: A Beginner's Guide to Opera

Opera A to Z: A Beginner's Guide to Opera

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Opera A to Z: A Beginner’s Guide to Opera is an overview of the most famous operas and opera characters of all time; one for each letter of the alphabet. The book was written with children ages eight to twelve in mind, but it is sure to delight young and old alike with its engaging summaries of twenty-six renowned operas. The book is based on a 27 x 40 watercolor that took ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Pinwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about Opera A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opera A to Z

Denise
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, opera
I received a review copy of this book from NetGalley.

The existence of this book frankly puzzles me, because tweens a) don't generally like opera and b) don't generally use reference books, so the market for a tween opera reference book seems mighty slim.

The book struggles with the typical problems suffered by mass-market opera books: trying to stuff 3 centuries of art made in several European cultures into one slim volume is not going to go well.

However, on the off-chance you're somehow in the
Wayne McCoy
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Opera A To Z by Liddy Lindsay succeeds in making opera more accessible. Starting by explaining the four composers who form the pillars in opera, Mozart, Puccini, Wagner and Verdi, the book then goes through the alphabet, with each letter representing a different opera.

There are brief descriptions of each featured opera with composer dates, year performed and other facts. There is a glossary of terms in the back for quick reference, as well as places to view operas.

The book features full color wa
Carrie Slager
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[Full disclosure: I received a free ARC ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

As someone who loves opera and who grew up in a household where opera was treasured, I never really had the disadvantage of having to learn about it later in life. If I had, I’m know Opera A to Z would have been the perfect place to start. My earliest memories of the holiday season in December are of listening to Christmas with Pavarotti as well as Handel’s Messiah, so as an opera lover for years I do
Amanda Mcwhorter
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short, but super sweet, collection of information on opera blew me away. As a child, I was the only person in my family remotely interested in singing, let alone singing in a different language. At 17 I began my first voice lessons in opera and now at 23 I'm proud to say I can sing in six different languages and can Habanera with the best of them (the HARDEST song I ever had to learn, not a fan of French)

This is what I needed as a kid. Yes, I know encyclopedias seem played out now that we h
Monika
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Opera A to Z begins with a brief history of the art form, followed by 26 synopses of operas from all time periods, one for each letter of the alphabet. Each plot summary is accompanied by a watercolor illustration depicting a scene from that opera. The book concludes with a few pages defining common musical terms.

Liddy Lindsay's watercolors are incredibly interesting, beautiful, and I loved how colorful they are. But a few of the illustrations simply did not garner as much of my enthusiasm as I
Nick Turner
American guide to the classical European art of opera. It describes the Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern eras. The guide focuses on four famous opera composers (Mozart, Puccini, Verdi and Wagner) and the narrative aspect of twenty-six operas. Before the Modern era, operas often looked backward admiringly to the good old days or myth - marginalising the New World and much beyond the Mediterranean.

Twenty-six operas (ordered alphabetically) are covered, including some from each era. For eac
Dana
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
The following review was first posted on NetGalley. Thank you, NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this book! :3

I had a hard time enjoying this book, although I suppose that I'm in the target age range. Was it because of how difficult it was to relate to the subject matter? Perhaps, although I consider myself as being more open-minded among my peers...

I expected the paintings to be a big plus. While obviously the whole picture book thing was discounted because I read it on a Kindle (third
Suzanne
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
Opera and music lovers will appreciate this alphabetical review of famous operas. It begins with a brief explanation of the history and development of opera and a few of the most famous composers. Then it begins a journey through operas from all four major eras, sharing a short description of the storyline and major characters in each. Each entry also lists the composer of the opera, the dates of his birth and death, and the date the opera premiered. There is an illustration to accompany the ent ...more
Elizabeth Grieve
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This book fulfils its promise of giving a brief synopsis of each opera, written in a simple way, for children. I didn't like the illustrations, which seemed to be rather amateurish, but overall a nice idea, great for introducing children to the magical world of opera.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.

Maggie Hesseling
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
What a fantastic little book! It's really gotten me back into opera. The fun art and little blurbs of text really piques your interest with each piece, making you want to listen to it right away and hear the story that you've just read. With notes at the end to Operatic techniques and little must-know tidbits helps you really understand and with an extensive bibliography it's easy to look for other texts for further understanding. A wonderful addition for any aspiring opera lover's collection.
GONZA
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Small picture book technically for children to know the general outline of the plot and the most famous arias of the best-known Operas, also interesting for the adults.

Piccolo libro illustrato ad uso dei bambini per conoscere a grandi linee la trama e le arie piú famose delle opere piú note, interessante anche per i piú grandi.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND PINWHEEL BOOKS FOR THE PREVIEW!
Alethea A
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Information good; illustration.... Not a fan. Color choices seem muddy. Clever idea, not sure who the market is though--too many words for proper picture book and possibly too childish looking for average middle schooler looking to get some quick info about opera. 2.5 stars. I want to like it, but I don't :/ full review to come.
Michelle's Book
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given an ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This book cover is on my Pinterest board and my blog, Michelle Dragalin’s Journey.
Dana