Start by marking “It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)” as Want to Read:
It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)

It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor #7)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  9,221 Ratings  ·  796 Reviews
Ali Winters is not having a good day. Her boyfriend left her, everyone in town thinks she's a thief, and now she's about to be kicked out of her home. Her only shot at keeping a roof over her head and clearing her name is to beg for help from a police detective who's as sexy as he is stern....

After a high-profile case goes wrong, Luke Hanover returns to his hometown for s
Published May 28th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about It Had to Be You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Had to Be You

Lisa
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

“Didn’t see that coming.”

“Didn’t see what coming?”

“You.”

It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis was yet another sweet, tender, funny and light-hearted addition to this wonderful contemporary romance series. This book made me laugh out loud, had me swooning over sexy Luke and definitely left me happily sighing when I finished. Once again this author made me fall deeply in love with her characters and this series. <3 <3 <3

description

description

No, she wasn’t okay, not even a little bit. She’d been uncerem
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

It Had to Be You, the latest addition to my Lucky Harbor addiction, further solidifies Jill Shalvis’ place on my list of top contemporary romance authors. Like all the books in the series, It Had to Be You is romantic, funny, and sexy, with a story that pulls you in and characters who keep you coming back for more, first page to the last.
On the Cover:

Mersina Seena
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
WWHHHAAATTT???? WE GET MORE?!?!?! OHHH YEAAAHHHHH BUDDY!

Photobucket
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

GENRE: Adult Contemporary Romance
HEAT LEVEL: Medium
ANGST LEVEL: Drama free! This is a feel-good book!!
NOTE: This is book #7 in the Lucky Harbor series. It can be read as a stand-alone, but I always suggest reading the whole series.
RELEASE DATE: May 28, 2013

4.5 Stars!

I think I've said it before, but brace yourselves because I'm about to say it again. Jill Shalvis books are my comfort food. When I'm feeling off, feeling blue, feeling scared or worried...I gra
Duchess Nicole
A cute, sweet, lighthearted read from Jill Shalvis. I feel like I always say the same things about her books. She's a good contemporary romance author but never my favorite. I don't feel the emotional punch that I get from authors like Kristan Higgins or Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I think that's just a random personal preference, as I know a lot of die hard fans of hers. I like a little more depth to the protagonists and more time spent with them in their pasts, possibly just more headspace explo ...more
KatLynne
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

It Had To Be You brings us the story of Ali Winters and Detective Luke Hanover. Ali is warm and caring, always ready to offer a helping hand. She’s very optimistic but the latest events have her stressed and fraught with worry. Not only did her douchebag of a boyfriend dump her, but most of the town now believe she’s a thief. How could they not when all evidence points to her guilt.

Detective Luke Hanover is in need of a little R&R after a high profile case goes bad. After years of b
Paula
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it

In case you weren’t aware – Jill Shalvis is one of my all-time favorite contemporary authors. She knows how to write sexy alpha heroes that make you weak in the knees. She excels at writing funny, lighthearted, exciting, and steamy romantic contemporaries that make me excited for her next book every time. And I can always count on Miz Shalvis to put a cheesy smile on my face, make me laugh out loud, and make me happily sigh as I fall in love with her characters.

Ali Winters has been completely s
Jenny E
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
More of the same from Jill Shalvis. I really liked her stories at first, but they're all the same. I spent the first quarter of this book trying to convince myself I hadn't read it already! It's always the florist/baker/spa girl and the cop/firefighter/doctor guy, one's a commitment-phobe and/or leaving soon with a messed up past and a poor-me or guilt-ridden attitude. I don't mind this plot, but now we're going on book 8 and it's getting old. Yeah, I think I'm done with Lucky Harbor.

Jillian
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
In theory, Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series should be an all-time favorite of mine. There's the requisite cozy and quirky small town setting, a liberal dose of humor in lieu of overwrought angst, adorable pets, and heroes who are strong and protective without being the scarily angry, controlling headcases who pass for "alphas" in many other series. So I keep trying to fall in love with these books, but am always left mysteriously underwhelmed. I think it primarily comes down to my just not connectin ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jill Shalvis' seventh addition to her Lucky Harbor series. Ali Winters works at the florist shop in Lucky Harbor and lives with boyfriend, Teddy Marshall. Well, she did until he texted her and told her they were through and the lease was expired on the rental house. And she discovers he was cheating on her. Then she discovers the owner of the rented house, Luke Hanover, has come home for some needed rest. Then the police want to arrest her for stealing 50K. And through it all Ali keeps her optim ...more
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heroine-florist
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Contemporary Romance
Series : - 7th in the series (1st in the "3rd" trilogy of the Lucky Harbour series)
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author? - Yes
Rating - 5

★Review★

It has been awhile since I visited Lucky Harbour, and again an excellent addition to the series.

I again loved both main characters, and love how there is not too much
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I know I'm giving this series a lot of —okay, only— 5 stars, but it really works for me. It is maybe not the most original, it certainly do not compete for novelty, but the recipe is SOLID. If you are looking for romance, sexy times and humor, look no further, Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series is what you need!
I'm enjoying myself book after book, wishing Lucky Harbor existed, wishing to stay there, wishing for the smile it puts on my face would never falter.

All the secondary c
Jonetta
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of this series and have really liked every story...until this one. I LOVED it!

It's one of those rarities where you have equally strong feelings for both main characters. Ali Winter has had a tough life but through it all, she's held her head up high and believed life would get better, not in a sappy way but more resolute. You couldn't help admiring her spirit. The town loves her.

Luke Hanover is one of the good guys, the person you can count on to do the right thing but underneath
Anne OK
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Another fun-to-read addition to the Lucky Harbor series from Jill Shalvis. Though not my favorite of the lot, it's always an easy and delightful visit with a town full of great characters. Luke and Ali clicked and the dynamics between them worked well. With each visit, I'm always eager to see what the seniors have up their sleeves. Luke's granddad made me laugh, cheer and even tear up a bit. One thing for sure, Jill never fails to provide a great story that ends in happily-ever-after.
Jane Stewart
2 stars. It was ok, but I wanted it to be over. That’s not a good sign.

The author had some good ideas and interesting characters. But when it came to filling in 300 pages, it just wasn’t special enough. At the end a small thing bothered me because it was predictable.

(view spoiler)
...

I was starting to worry a little, Jill. The last book I read by you was a clear miss for me. Add in the fact that I've been getting tired of your tried and true plot formula and I thought perhaps our time together had run its course.

And then you gave me Luke.

And then I was happy.

Love, Bri

Above all else, I really truly loved both characters in this one. And not just the two main characters, but the secondary characters as well. One thing Jill does well is making those bromances real and
Yvonne
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This was an awesome book - loved it!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In the highly anticipated seventh book of the Lucky Harbor series, IT HAD TO BE YOU, Jill Shalvis brings readers a sweet, determined and independent heroine in Ali Winters. Life hasn’t been too kind to Ali in recent months. Her boyfriend is a first-class jerk, she is low on cash, and she becomes the prime suspect of a robbery case. Add to that the fact that she is nearly homeless and if she can’t find a new place soon, she will be in big trouble.

But trouble finds her instead in the form of a ho
Lisa Filipe
As if the LUCKY HARBOR Series could GET any better....Well....Jill ya did it! I LOVED IT HAD TO BE YOU!! Luke and Ali....well....they stole my heart from their first meeting and took me on quite the Wild Ride!! OMG!!

Ali and Luke are definitely making TOP FIVE COUPLES of 2013 at A Tasty Read!! Ali....favorite Shalvis heroine....close competition...but she kinda ROCKS!!

Full Review

Jill Shalvis does Romance like Betty Crocker does Cake: Sweet, Satisfying and Can be devoured in One Sitting!

I thought
Nikki
This is such a great book! I have only read two others in the Lucky Harbor series, with intentions to read them all, and this is hands down my favorite so far! Ali Winters grew up on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. Always the strong one, pushing the bad stuff down and looking on the bright side of things. She moved to Lucky Harbor to start over. A very crafty and talented florist/ceramics maker and teacher, all she wants is to make a better life for herself. Luke Hanover is a somewhat jaded dete ...more
Jennifer☠Pher☠
If you have read this series and loved it as much as I do then you understand me when I say I want to live in Lucky Harbor. I love everyone that lives there and want to meet them all and visit everywhere that they go! Lucky Harbor is just that, lucky. It seems to be the perfect place to settle, start over and just live and be happy. I loved Ali Winters. So much worked against her at every turn but her attitude was always so positive. You believed no matter what happened, she was going to succeed ...more
Shannon
It Had to Be You

The Characters:

Ali Winters
Luke Hanover

The Story:

Super cute, super fun, super hot. Luke and Ali had chemistry from page one (or whatever page they met on). A wonderful villain, a delightful mystery and the beginning of a beautiful relationship, what’s not to like.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars
Ian
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lawyers (it will drive you insane)
After being unceremoniously dumped by her boyfriend, Ali convinces a cleaner to let her into his office so she can retrieve an earthenware pen holder she made for him. When $50,000 dollars is stolen from his office she immediately becomes suspect number 1.

It Had to Be You is cute and fluffy contemporary romance, it's predictable but entertaining. It's very much Jill Shalvis painting by the numbers. Not bad but a long way from her best.

Anita
I'm pretty sure that I called it quite accurately in my BLopoly update post, when I said that I would probably end up finishing this whole book within the day.  Jill Shalvis is an author I'm constantly returning to for a multitude of reasons, one being that sometimes, when I love her books and her characters, I really DO love her books and her characters.

I had started reading It Had to Be You with every intention of stopping after the first handful of chapters, then either switching back to anot
Cherise
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali Winters has a job and a house that she loves. She is also dating and living with what she thinks is her perfect man… that is until she catches him with another woman in his office and later ends up getting dumped by him via text. Suddenly the perfect life she thought she had turns even crappier when money goes missing and Ali is the #1 suspect.

Luke Hanover returns to his house in Lucky Harbor after being away for several years. A case he was working on went bad and he needs to lick his wound
Keertana
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
With a decent sprinkling of snow on the ground and the covers of my comforter up to my chin, a warm, breezy romance fit my mood precisely. I've been on a bit of a romance kick lately - one I almost feel guilty about as it means I'm disregarding my ever-growing pile of ARCs - but flying through love story after love story on a chilly weekend just feels so right. I picked up Simply Irresistible a few months back and, ever since, have been meaning to return to Lucky Harbor. Both the sequels followi ...more
LaFleurBleue
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is in line with the previous in the series. It does not have anything very new, special, striking or deep-moving. I can't reach the 5 star for this book, or the other in the series, as it misses some heart-wrenching moments to make it unforgettable. However it just flows and reads very easily and very pleasantly from the first page to the last.
Though part of the Lucky Harbor series, this book is part of a sub-trilogy with 3 friends, Luke, Jack and Ben. I was slightly put off to realiz
Anne - Books of My Heart
OK, I got the ARC of this book since I am a Bookaholic! I am thrilled because I love this author, love all her books and particularly love this series which is how I started reading Jill Shalvis.

So I am going to review honestly but non-spoilerish. I typically don't repeat the blurb and am not too spoilery so I may or may not update this after the book is released.

What I love about her books is very clear to me. I love the characters. She makes them real to me, people I care about and feel like
♥Sharon♥
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I just love all that goes on in Lucky Harbor! Still deciding if Luke and Ali's story is my favorite but I just loved their story. Luke was wonderful and Ali was just perfect.

I'm wondering if Jack will have his story?

Thank's Jill for another great story!
Julie
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

It Had To Be You is the seventh book in Jill Shalvis’ charming Lucky Harbor series. This is such a sweet contemporary romance series – every single book leaves a smile on my face. The characters are just delightful and the setting is like a character all its own. And the side characters are as memorable as the main couple. It really is a series worth checking out.

In It Had To Be You we tag along as Ali meets Luke. Contemporary romance books often have c
Simply Irresistib...: It Had To Be You 14 35 Jun 20, 2013 07:56PM
Simply Irresistib...: This topic has been closed to new comments. **New It Had to Be You Giveaway** June 10-17 13 27 Jun 11, 2013 01:55PM
  • All He Ever Dreamed (Kowalski Family, #6)
  • Just One Kiss (Fool's Gold, #10)
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • Sex and the Single Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #3)
  • Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6)
  • Barefoot in the Sun (Barefoot Bay, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #3)
  • Perfect Fling (Serendipity's Finest, #2)
  • A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2)
  • Crazy Thing Called Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #3)
  • Anything But Love (Cupcake Lovers, #3)
  • The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #2)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi
More about Jill Shalvis...

Lucky Harbor (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)
  • The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2)
  • Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)
  • Always on My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8)
  • Once in a Lifetime (Lucky Harbor #9)
  • It's in His Kiss (Lucky Harbor, #10)
  • He's So Fine (Lucky Harbor, #11)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
“I'm not defined by what people think of me. My happiness comes from within.” 14 likes
“I know I might look like a ball of fluff," she said, "but I'm not. Not even close. And the fact that I get up each morning and put a damn smile on my face is the same as... Batman putting on his cape."
"I--"
"I'm not done. It's... protection. It's my shield. It's me waving my middle finger to the world because I choose to be happy. The bottom line, Luke, is that I know what matters and what doesn't.”
12 likes