Start by marking “It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)” as Want to Read:
It Had to Be You (Lucky Harbor, #7)

It Had to Be You

(Lucky Harbor #7)

Ali Winters is not having a good day. Her boyfriend left her, everyone in town thinks she's a thief, and now she's about to be kicked out of her home. Her only shot at keeping a roof over her head and clearing her name is to beg for help from a police detective who's as sexy as he is stern....

After a high-profile case goes wrong, Luke Hanover returns to his hometown for s
Published May 28th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about It Had to Be You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Had to Be You

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

It Had to Be You, the latest addition to my Lucky Harbor addiction, further solidifies Jill Shalvis’ place on my list of top contemporary romance authors. Like all the books in the series, It Had to Be You is romantic, funny, and sexy, with a story that pulls you in and characters who keep you coming back for more, first page to the last.
On the Cover:

Seena Seena
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
WWHHHAAATTT???? WE GET MORE?!?!?! OHHH YEAAAHHHHH BUDDY!

Photobucket
Elizabeth (Liz)
Review posted at: Swept Away By Romance

GENRE: Adult Contemporary Romance
HEAT LEVEL: Medium
ANGST LEVEL: Drama free! This is a feel-good book!!
NOTE: This is book #7 in the Lucky Harbor series. It can be read as a stand-alone, but I always suggest reading the whole series.
RELEASE DATE: May 28, 2013

4.5 Stars!

I think I've said it before, but brace yourselves because I'm about to say it again. Jill Shalvis books are my comfort food. When I'm feeling off, feeling blue, feeling scared or worried...I gra
Duchess Nicole
A cute, sweet, lighthearted read from Jill Shalvis. I feel like I always say the same things about her books. She's a good contemporary romance author but never my favorite. I don't feel the emotional punch that I get from authors like Kristan Higgins or Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I think that's just a random personal preference, as I know a lot of die hard fans of hers. I like a little more depth to the protagonists and more time spent with them in their pasts, possibly just more headspace explo ...more
KatLynne
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

It Had To Be You brings us the story of Ali Winters and Detective Luke Hanover. Ali is warm and caring, always ready to offer a helping hand. She’s very optimistic but the latest events have her stressed and fraught with worry. Not only did her douchebag of a boyfriend dump her, but most of the town now believe she’s a thief. How could they not when all evidence points to her guilt.

Detective Luke Hanover is in need of a little R&R after a high profile case goes bad. After years of b
Paula
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it

In case you weren’t aware – Jill Shalvis is one of my all-time favorite contemporary authors. She knows how to write sexy alpha heroes that make you weak in the knees. She excels at writing funny, lighthearted, exciting, and steamy romantic contemporaries that make me excited for her next book every time. And I can always count on Miz Shalvis to put a cheesy smile on my face, make me laugh out loud, and make me happily sigh as I fall in love with her characters.

Ali Winters has been completely s
Jenny E
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
More of the same from Jill Shalvis. I really liked her stories at first, but they're all the same. I spent the first quarter of this book trying to convince myself I hadn't read it already! It's always the florist/baker/spa girl and the cop/firefighter/doctor guy, one's a commitment-phobe and/or leaving soon with a messed up past and a poor-me or guilt-ridden attitude. I don't mind this plot, but now we're going on book 8 and it's getting old. Yeah, I think I'm done with Lucky Harbor.

Jillian
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
In theory, Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series should be an all-time favorite of mine. There's the requisite cozy and quirky small town setting, a liberal dose of humor in lieu of overwrought angst, adorable pets, and heroes who are strong and protective without being the scarily angry, controlling headcases who pass for "alphas" in many other series. So I keep trying to fall in love with these books, but am always left mysteriously underwhelmed. I think it primarily comes down to my just not connectin ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jill Shalvis' seventh addition to her Lucky Harbor series. Ali Winters works at the florist shop in Lucky Harbor and lives with boyfriend, Teddy Marshall. Well, she did until he texted her and told her they were through and the lease was expired on the rental house. And she discovers he was cheating on her. Then she discovers the owner of the rented house, Luke Hanover, has come home for some needed rest. Then the police want to arrest her for stealing 50K. And through it all Ali keeps her optim ...more
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Contemporary Romance
Series : - 7th in the series (1st in the "3rd" trilogy of the Lucky Harbour series)
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author? - Yes
Rating - 5

★Review★

It has been awhile since I visited Lucky Harbour, and again an excellent addition to the series.

I again loved both main characters, and love how there is not too much
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I know I'm giving this series a lot of —okay, only— 5 stars, but it really works for me. It is maybe not the most original, it certainly do not compete for novelty, but the recipe is SOLID. If you are looking for romance, sexy times and humor, look no further, Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series is what you need!
I'm enjoying myself book after book, wishing Lucky Harbor existed, wishing to stay there, wishing for the smile it puts on my face would never falter.

All the secondary c
Pamela
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this one awhile ago, but after recently completing Once in a Lifetime, I was thinking about how much I enjoyed reading Ali's story as well. Ali is a terrific heroine: spirited, lively and determinedly optimistic yet not at all obnoxiously 'perky' or a Mary Sue.

I appreciated the minor element of mystery around who stole the community center's money, because even though it wasn't particularly well plotted nor even a very large part of the overall story, it did give the book a focus and str
Jonetta
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of this series and have really liked every story...until this one. I LOVED it!

It's one of those rarities where you have equally strong feelings for both main characters. Ali Winter has had a tough life but through it all, she's held her head up high and believed life would get better, not in a sappy way but more resolute. You couldn't help admiring her spirit. The town loves her.

Luke Hanover is one of the good guys, the person you can count on to do the right thing but underneath
Anne OK
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Another fun-to-read addition to the Lucky Harbor series from Jill Shalvis. Though not my favorite of the lot, it's always an easy and delightful visit with a town full of great characters. Luke and Ali clicked and the dynamics between them worked well. With each visit, I'm always eager to see what the seniors have up their sleeves. Luke's granddad made me laugh, cheer and even tear up a bit. One thing for sure, Jill never fails to provide a great story that ends in happily-ever-after.
Cheri
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, quirky, sexy and just down right fun to read....I love Jill Shalvis!
Jane Stewart
2 stars. It was ok, but I wanted it to be over. That’s not a good sign.

The author had some good ideas and interesting characters. But when it came to filling in 300 pages, it just wasn’t special enough. At the end a small thing bothered me because it was predictable.

(view spoiler)
...

I was starting to worry a little, Jill. The last book I read by you was a clear miss for me. Add in the fact that I've been getting tired of your tried and true plot formula and I thought perhaps our time together had run its course.

And then you gave me Luke.

And then I was happy.

Love, Bri

Above all else, I really truly loved both characters in this one. And not just the two main characters, but the secondary characters as well. One thing Jill does well is making those bromances real and
Yvonne
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This was an awesome book - loved it!
Nicole P
Whenever I read a book from the Lucky Harbor series it's like I'm visiting friends. The 7th book in the series is about Ali Winters, the coolest female MC I've read in a long time. She was all kinds of awesome with her kind ways, sense of humor and just common decency. I liked her a lot and she was the perfect match for the grumpy city detective Luke Hanover. Luke returns to Lucky Harbor in a much needed vacation. He doesn't want to get involved in anything, let alone a cute, adorable squatter A ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

In the highly anticipated seventh book of the Lucky Harbor series, IT HAD TO BE YOU, Jill Shalvis brings readers a sweet, determined and independent heroine in Ali Winters. Life hasn’t been too kind to Ali in recent months. Her boyfriend is a first-class jerk, she is low on cash, and she becomes the prime suspect of a robbery case. Add to that the fact that she is nearly homeless and if she can’t find a new place soon, she will be in big trouble.

But trouble finds her instead in the form of a ho
Lisa Filipe
As if the LUCKY HARBOR Series could GET any better....Well....Jill ya did it! I LOVED IT HAD TO BE YOU!! Luke and Ali....well....they stole my heart from their first meeting and took me on quite the Wild Ride!! OMG!!

Ali and Luke are definitely making TOP FIVE COUPLES of 2013 at A Tasty Read!! Ali....favorite Shalvis heroine....close competition...but she kinda ROCKS!!

Full Review

Jill Shalvis does Romance like Betty Crocker does Cake: Sweet, Satisfying and Can be devoured in One Sitting!

I thought
Thenia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Ali, a woman down on her luck ends up temporarily staying with Luke, the gruff detective owner of her house who's hiding from reporters after his last case took a wrong turn.

Neither of them is particularly happy about staying together, and things get more complicated, when Ali is accused of theft. She is innocent and determined to clear her name, and Luke gets involved, despite his misgivings.

The more time they spend together and the more they learn about each other, the more intrigued they both
Shannon
It Had to Be You

The Characters:

Ali Winters
Luke Hanover

The Story:

Super cute, super fun, super hot. Luke and Ali had chemistry from page one (or whatever page they met on). A wonderful villain, a delightful mystery and the beginning of a beautiful relationship, what’s not to like.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars
Ian
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lawyers (it will drive you insane)
After being unceremoniously dumped by her boyfriend, Ali convinces a cleaner to let her into his office so she can retrieve an earthenware pen holder she made for him. When $50,000 dollars is stolen from his office she immediately becomes suspect number 1.

It Had to Be You is cute and fluffy contemporary romance, it's predictable but entertaining. It's very much Jill Shalvis painting by the numbers. Not bad but a long way from her best.

Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2pDm2ff

Ahhh Lucky Harbor. Best. Place. Ever. I had a fantastic time with It Had to Be You.

The Gist: Life sucks. Ali and Luke are both dealing with their own personal brands of 'oh, fuck me, come on!'. All Luke wants is an escape from his life as a cop after a case goes bad. So he heads to Lucky Harbor and the house his aunt left him. A couple weeks of peace and quiet are just what he needs. Instead he finds a wild woman standin
Anita
I'm pretty sure that I called it quite accurately in my BLopoly update post, when I said that I would probably end up finishing this whole book within the day.  Jill Shalvis is an author I'm constantly returning to for a multitude of reasons, one being that sometimes, when I love her books and her characters, I really DO love her books and her characters.

I had started reading It Had to Be You with every intention of stopping after the first handful of chapters, then either switching back to anot
Aly
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali Winters's life hasn't been a fun ride. Men always came and went and growing up, her family didn't have lot of money. But she learned to rely on herself and how to shove the bad stuff and keep moving. In other words, she's a fighter and a tough woman. You would have think that life would give her a break of misfortunes, but think again. Going to the town big fundraiser, she caught her boyfriend cheating, and then he dumped her in a text message, and not so subtly ask her to move out without f ...more
Nikki
This is such a great book! I have only read two others in the Lucky Harbor series, with intentions to read them all, and this is hands down my favorite so far! Ali Winters grew up on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. Always the strong one, pushing the bad stuff down and looking on the bright side of things. She moved to Lucky Harbor to start over. A very crafty and talented florist/ceramics maker and teacher, all she wants is to make a better life for herself. Luke Hanover is a somewhat jaded dete ...more
Cherise
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ali Winters has a job and a house that she loves. She is also dating and living with what she thinks is her perfect man… that is until she catches him with another woman in his office and later ends up getting dumped by him via text. Suddenly the perfect life she thought she had turns even crappier when money goes missing and Ali is the #1 suspect.

Luke Hanover returns to his house in Lucky Harbor after being away for several years. A case he was working on went bad and he needs to lick his wound
Jennifer☠Pher☠
If you have read this series and loved it as much as I do then you understand me when I say I want to live in Lucky Harbor. I love everyone that lives there and want to meet them all and visit everywhere that they go! Lucky Harbor is just that, lucky. It seems to be the perfect place to settle, start over and just live and be happy. I loved Ali Winters. So much worked against her at every turn but her attitude was always so positive. You believed no matter what happened, she was going to succeed ...more
Simply Irresistib...: It Had To Be You 14 35 Jun 20, 2013 07:56PM
Simply Irresistib...: This topic has been closed to new comments. **New It Had to Be You Giveaway** June 10-17 13 27 Jun 11, 2013 01:55PM
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • Flirting with Disaster (Camelot, #3)
  • All He Ever Dreamed (Kowalski Family, #6)
  • Just One Kiss (Fool's Gold, #10)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • Sex and the Single Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #3)
  • So Tough to Tame (Jackson, #3)
  • Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6)
  • Barefoot in the Sun (Barefoot Bay, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #3)
  • A Shot of Sultry (Sultry Springs, #2)
  • Perfect Fling (Serendipity's Finest, #2)
  • The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #2)
  • To Please A Lady (Seduction, #3)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi

Lucky Harbor (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)
  • The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2)
  • Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)
  • Always on My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8)
  • Once in a Lifetime (Lucky Harbor #9)
  • It's in His Kiss (Lucky Harbor, #10)
  • He's So Fine (Lucky Harbor, #11)
“I'm not defined by what people think of me. My happiness comes from within.” 14 likes
“I know I might look like a ball of fluff," she said, "but I'm not. Not even close. And the fact that I get up each morning and put a damn smile on my face is the same as... Batman putting on his cape."
"I--"
"I'm not done. It's... protection. It's my shield. It's me waving my middle finger to the world because I choose to be happy. The bottom line, Luke, is that I know what matters and what doesn't.”
13 likes