Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08: The Town of Strife I” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08: The Town of Strife I

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08: The Town of Strife I

(狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel #8)

Paperback, Novel, 192 pages
Published April 23rd 2013 by Yen On (first published May 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08

Start your review of Spice & Wolf, Vol. 08: The Town of Strife I
Kenchiin
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novel
This is actually the first half of a two-volume arc so there isn't much to say apart from 'good start' at the moment.
S.Q. Eries
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
Rafaela (dragonsandpaperbacks)
Real Rating: 3.5 stars

I've always found that the problem with light novels and other sorts of continuous publications that are spaced out is that the authors feel a need to perpetually recap a large number of facts that we all already know. Recapping to a certain point is acceptable and even welcome at times but some of it is just outright annoying. This is volume 8, I know that Holo was worshipped as a harvest goddess and that she was called the Wisewolf. There's no need to repeat that at this
Anniken Haga
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
Ah! I knew I should have waited with reading this until I had the next book ready, but I haven't been able to really read anything else after I got this book because I wanted to continue with this series so much, so I finally gave in and started reading it.

As always, I enjoy the characters, world and language.
As always, some of it went completely over my head, but I still find myself sucked into this story and world and want to know how it ends.
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a decent installment, but only getting half of the story and leaving off with a cliffhanger was not fun and did take away some of the enjoyment.
Karla Schneider
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally I see some Paganism up ahead.
Fairytaillover22
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, light-novels
This is the lowest I've ever rated a S&W novel, and, of course, with 20+ volumes in this series, not every single one can be a masterpiece. I still love and adore Holo and Lawrence and their dynamic, and Col was a fun addition, but I can't help but hope that he isn't a permanent part of the group. His presence just made Holo and Lawrence's interactions all the more awkward and strained, and that famous brashness of the wise wolf herself was a bit toned down.

In previous volumes, I was able to
Robert R.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having come across a rumor or a giant wolf bone; Lawrence and Holo of course must investigate. They attempt to navigate a divided port town, searching for potential clues, only to be pulled in as the town's struggles. The merchant Eve makes another appearance and Lawrence has to deal with the demands of his trading house. It's a good thing the next volume is out, because this is a two part story.

Volume 7 was a set of short side stories, so volume 8 picks up from volume 6 and continues the
Chad
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author commented that he had taken a long time to write this volume, and it sounded like he had a bit of writer's block born of anxiety or inspirational exhaustion. Light novel series publishing schedules tend to be pretty brutal in Japan, judging by what I've read about the publishing industry there, so I'm not surprised.

The writer's block did seem to show through at the beginning of the book, even through the translation to English. It was a bit rougher than his usual storytelling, and it
Ricardo Matos
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novels
If the story concluded on this volume, it would be a 5 star. To be honest, best S&W book since book 5. The duo is back, Eve is back, Col is a nice addition to the story! Looking forward to the conclusion of the story on book 9!
Lucas
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continua la trama. Exelenteme

El autor continúa la trama de intrigas de forma exelente. Ya no es una historia por libro, sino que que ya tenemos una trama principal
KT NightWolf
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Next one please

On to the next book! I am ready to see how our heros get out of this one. Oh boy.
myinon
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This volume, as the name suggests is the first part in a two-part tale and I believe that it does its job quite nicely. Just like Lawrence, you are constantly wanting to find information about what started this particular part of the journey only to be handed a bombshell of information at the very end, which sets up the next part of the story to be truly entertaining. So far I am excited for what is to come next, but I really do want to see Lawrence profit a bit monetarily. He is a merchant, but ...more
Nicholas Heath
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
February Reading: Spice and Wolf Volume 8
This volume talked about how they escaped the hands of the christian cities with the help of the merchant trade line. Now the pagan god is even closer to her destination of reaching her homeland in the north.

Holo, Lawrence, and Col as they pursue rumors of ancient wolf bones and re-encounter Eve, the cunning merchant who betrayed Lawrence in Lenos. This arc is less about trade and more about intrigue in a politically and religiously divided town so you
Kevin
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it

Hearing rumors of a "leg bone of the wolf" being used as an artifact of the Church to showcase its power, Lawrence and Holo head to the site to gather more information. Holo can't just turn away from what might be a relic of her own kind, after all. Of course, upon arrival, the travelers find that the town is the center of a giant trade dispute! Seems that Col will be getting a lesson in microeconomics!

Emily
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In following Eve to ask of the wolf god's bones, Lawrence, Holo, and Col become caught up in something far larger and more dangerous than expected, finding themselves in the dark until they're too caught up to extract themselves. The next volume continues this story, and I look forward to reading it.
Kyle
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Back to form with this one. An interesting (although the ending is unresolved until the next book) plot with good dialogue. I was a little worried about the addition of Col, but so far he has been a good character and the dialogue between Holo and Lawrence still keeps me interested in the series. I also enjoy the return of Eve to the series.
Manoel Elpidio
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novels
Mate, Eve is the most f***ing awesome character ever! I'd be all in for a series focused solely on her.

Aside from this confession, it was disappointing to get only half of the story, especially when no trade has taken... yet.
Chloë ( *ˊᵕˋ)
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
2.75ish?
Devin (Mostly Manga)
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The trouble that Lawrence and Holo find themselves in kind of scares me most of the time. I'm expecting great things from The Town of Strife II.
Vitor Frazão
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: outros
Um pouco mais fraco que o volume anterior, mas como, basicamente, é só metade da história vamos ver se no seguinte se redime.
Emily
Aidan
Oct 17, 2017

• 盾の勇者の成り上がり 1 [Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #1]
  • ありふれた職業で世界最強 6
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 1 ゲーマー兄妹がファンタジー世界を征服するそうです (No Game No Life, #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 2 (Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Light Novels, #2)
  • No Game, No Life Vol. 4 (No Game No Life Light Novels, #4)
  • In Another World With My Smartphone: Volume 2
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 2 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #2)
  • Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, Vol. 3 (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, #3)
  • No Game, No Life Vol. 5 (No Game No Life Light Novels, #5)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 1
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 2 ゲーマー兄妹が獣耳っ子の国に目をつけたようです (No Game No Life, #2)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 6 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #6)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 3
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Volume 7
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 4
  • ありふれた職業で世界最強 5
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 3 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #3)
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 4 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #4)

狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01