Start by marking “It's a Firefly Night” as Want to Read:
It's a Firefly Night

It's a Firefly Night

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  188 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Part glittery counting book, part endearing daddy-daughter story! A favorite childhood activity—catching fireflies—glows from the pages of this story, plus counting. Lilting rhymes chronicle a little girl's capture and release of fireflies, one by one, capped off by a collection of fascinating firefly facts.
Published May 14th 2013 by Blue Apple Books (first published March 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about It's a Firefly Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Firefly Night

Emma Michaels
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of all the picture books I have read over the last few years this one is my favorite. The writing is lyrical, the illustrations are phenomenal and the story itself is heart warming. It transports you into the life of this wonderful young girl who looks at the world with innocence and wonder as she watches the fireflies and adventures outside with her father. Unlike many novels for younger children it doesn't focus on what she wants, what she is being told to do or other common themes in picture ...more
Storywraps
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just looking at the cover of this book brought back very happy memories for me, as I too was a firefly chaser as a little girl. I grew up in a small town and the next town over had a beautiful, flat, meadowy field where at twilight thousands of fireflies would come and play. Their light show was spectacular and my parents would drive us there and release their three little girls into that magical space. We would put our arms out, our heads back and run right through the middle of swarms of golde ...more
Gayle Swift
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
My memories of childhood summers conjure thoughts of unscheduled days at the beach, of playing with friends, all balanced with lots of time to daydream, read and spend time with family. (We had no TV, if you can even imagine that!) Now summer looks and feels quite different. Day care, summer camps, programmed activities and TV dominate many kids’ summer days. Parents struggle to engage their childrens’ attention, to divert them from the various tech and media available to them.

Still, summer offe
Lena
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
[Source: ARC provided courtesy of Edelweiss] This review also appears on Words.Blank-Stare.com

My reading partner is a kindergartner, and we loved this book! The poem was simple enough to for her understand but the message behind the poem was enough to keep me interested, too.

The most compelling aspect of this book really lies in the illustrations. They’re just beautiful. The pages depict open fields with flowers under moonlight, and of course, bright fireflies. They are crisp and colorful and re
Shaunda Wenger
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about a girl's short adventure in catching fireflies.
The short story also provides a bit of counting: up to five and then backwards from ten.
The illustrations are bright and well-done. The rhyming text could flow better in some places where the beat stumbles and where the rhymes are forced (where the rhyme is near-rhyme instead of a perfect rhyme). These places in the story gave me pause.
This story would provide young children with a good introduction to fireflies, which are
Julie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's a Firefly Night is a terrific book! Dianne Ochiltree Very informative and exciting.

The book is about a young girl whose father takes her outside to catch firefly beetles, and then returns them to the sky. The Art work by Betsy Snyder is amazing!
When I begin reading it's like I'm in the book with the little girl; feeling the breeze, holding the tender beetles, feeling the grass beneath my feet. I fun story with fun facts!

Thank you Ms. Ochiltree!
Bethany
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much! I reminded me of my childhood and catching fireflies after dark. It is a fun, bittersweet summer ritual for a young girl and her dad. She counts up all the fireflies she catches, then counts back down again as she releases them back into the night. The illustrations are lovely and truly evokes the feeling of excitement children get at the sight of fireflies glowing in the night.
Chantale Pard
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first comment after seeing the first page was: "Ooo! This is gorgeous!". Snyder's artwork is colorful, fun, and very captivating. Ochiltree has the storyline make a great point about making sure to set the fireflies free after playing with them - a great lesson for children to learn while appreciating nature. The rhymes flowed nicely, and the little factoids at the end were interesting and educational!
Darlene Franklin
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a retired elementary teacher from Ohio currently teaching future teachers at a university. I mulled using this book that I won on goodreads in my class, but have decided it best belongs in the hands of my granddaughter adalyn. She does not have fireflies where she lives and this book will be a treasure and remembrance of her visits to ohio. I will be sending Diane Adalyn's photo with her lovely book.
Margie
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spend an evening with a little girl and her father enjoying one of those magical nights granted to us by summer. Dianne Ochiltree and Betsy Snyder have created a book that glows.

My full review: http://bit.ly/11i5cgI
Jen
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime
great rhyming story. wish the book and illustrations were larger sized. delightful computer based illustrations. sparkles on cover.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. A quiet, simple and sweet father daughter tale evoking the memory of a hot summer night catching fireflies. Illustrations are also very appealing, dreamy and impressionistic.
Elisabeth
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
For those of us who live in states without fireflies - they are extra magically special.
Dana
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sweet summer book. We appreciated the facts at the end too - a lot of what we've been wondering was answered here.
Andrew
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! Great for children and their parents to share.
Suzze Tiernan
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations but the text seemed forced in order to make rhymes.
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whimsical and lyrical. So many good bug books out there for storytime!
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a very cute book. It is simple to read and my baby niece loves it.
ReadingWench
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of growing up on the east coast. Although we called them lightnin bugs, IT'S A FIRELFY NIGHT is a good rhyming book for kids.
Marina
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations, fun facts at the end of the book. Very pleasing to read aloud.
Sheila Read
Jun 11, 2013 marked it as to-read
I would love to get this book so I can donate it to the local cancer center.
Aysha Herrera
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable illustrations!
gina
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book inspired a family tradition at our house. We now have "Firefly Nights" and they are magical. They're special nights my son (3.5) can stay up and catch lightning bugs with us. Super special and super magical. Love this book!
Emily
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is short and has counting and a good story. It will be good for a summer Storytime!
Bea  Charmed
The cover and title for this book jumped up and said, "Read me, read me!" So I did. :)

The color palette used in this book is lovely and suits the story perfectly. Although the book doesn't say what the art process was, it looks like a mix of paint and tissue collage paper. Regardless of the media, the artwork is enjoyable to look at and adds to the story. The details are charming and you feel as if you are right there.

A little girl, whose name we aren't told, is excited when her daddy says, "It'
Jill
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This beautiful book will thrill all the little kids who love sparkly things and/or fireflies. I of course used to love both. And with poetry in the mix, you can’t lose!

Simple verses tell the story of a little girl who can’t wait for firefly nights, “when the moon is high and the stars are bright.” She collects them in a jar and then races to show her dad “their dancing-light show.”

But she doesn’t keep them for long:

Flickering quicker,
they sparkle and shine.
I love catching fireflies,
but they are
Christine Turner
Part glittery counting book, part endearing daddy-daughter story! A favorite childhood activity catching fireflies glows from the pages of this story, plus counting. Lilting rhymes chronicle a little girl's capture and release of fireflies, one by one, capped off by a collection of fascinating firefly facts.

Notes
Dianne Ochiltree grew up in a family that loved nature, animals, and books. She teaches writing in schools and has written several mathematical-orientated picture books. Take a look at h
Sabriena
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought that It's A Firefly Night was really well done and I loved the story. It is a plus that it is a pretty short story as well which makes for perfect bedtime material. The Kid really enjoyed this story about the fireflies as well as the illustrations. They were really good. Fireflies isn't something that everyone is able to experience in person so reading a story about them is the next best thing.

The colors and the rhymes was the highlight of the book and this is definitely a story that
Cemeread
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fiction book, but I am including it with the non-fiction like picture books and non-fiction for a couple reasons. It is a short story in which no fireflies are harmed and the child acknowledges they are not hers and belong in nature. Secondly , the pages right after the story have nine illuminated orbs with facts about fireflies. So why not read the short story to build excitement and then bring in the facts. I love the colors of the night sky, grass, and fireflies. They do seem lumino ...more
Ionia
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly fantastic children's book. Aside from the wonderful and colourful illustrations, this book is amazing because the story is so good and makes the reader feel so involved.

I loved that this story did not just focus on the little girl, but on nature and her perception of the world around her. This is the kind of book that I want to read with my children over and again. it makes a great bedtime story as well as a perfect gift.

Highly recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Museum
  • Polar Bear Morning
  • The Midnight Library
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Are the Dinosaurs Dead, Dad?
  • Touch the Brightest Star
  • Some Bugs
  • Brownie  Pearl Take a Dip
  • The Things I Can Do
  • Sophie's Squash
  • A Long Way Away
  • Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too
  • Tyrannosaurus Wrecks!
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Forever
  • Happy Birthday, Bunny!: With Audio Recording
  • Everyone can Learn to Ride a Bicycle
  • If You Were a Panda Bear
Dianne Ochiltree is a nationally recognized author of books for the very young. Her books have been featured on recommended lists, translated to foreign language editions, released in audio versions and selected for use in lesson plans by teachers nationwide. Her picture book, LULL-A-BYE, LITTLE ONE, has been a selection in the Dollywood Foundation's childhood literacy initiative, Imagination Libr ...more
More about Dianne Ochiltree...