Start by marking “It's a Firefly Night” as Want to Read:
It's a Firefly Night

It's a Firefly Night

Part glittery counting book, part endearing daddy-daughter story! A favorite childhood activity—catching fireflies—glows from the pages of this story, plus counting. Lilting rhymes chronicle a little girl's capture and release of fireflies, one by one, capped off by a collection of fascinating firefly facts.
Published May 14th 2013 by Blue Apple Books (first published March 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about It's a Firefly Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's a Firefly Night

Start your review of It's a Firefly Night
Emma Michaels
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of all the picture books I have read over the last few years this one is my favorite. The writing is lyrical, the illustrations are phenomenal and the story itself is heart warming. It transports you into the life of this wonderful young girl who looks at the world with innocence and wonder as she watches the fireflies and adventures outside with her father. Unlike many novels for younger children it doesn't focus on what she wants, what she is being told to do or other common themes in picture ...more
Storywraps
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just looking at the cover of this book brought back very happy memories for me, as I too was a firefly chaser as a little girl. I grew up in a small town and the next town over had a beautiful, flat, meadowy field where at twilight thousands of fireflies would come and play. Their light show was spectacular and my parents would drive us there and release their three little girls into that magical space. We would put our arms out, our heads back and run right through the middle of swarms of golde ...more
Gayle Swift
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
My memories of childhood summers conjure thoughts of unscheduled days at the beach, of playing with friends, all balanced with lots of time to daydream, read and spend time with family. (We had no TV, if you can even imagine that!) Now summer looks and feels quite different. Day care, summer camps, programmed activities and TV dominate many kids’ summer days. Parents struggle to engage their childrens’ attention, to divert them from the various tech and media available to them.

Still, summer offe
Lena
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
[Source: ARC provided courtesy of Edelweiss] This review also appears on Words.Blank-Stare.com

My reading partner is a kindergartner, and we loved this book! The poem was simple enough to for her understand but the message behind the poem was enough to keep me interested, too.

The most compelling aspect of this book really lies in the illustrations. They’re just beautiful. The pages depict open fields with flowers under moonlight, and of course, bright fireflies. They are crisp and colorful and re
Julie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's a Firefly Night is a terrific book! Dianne Ochiltree Very informative and exciting.

The book is about a young girl whose father takes her outside to catch firefly beetles, and then returns them to the sky. The Art work by Betsy Snyder is amazing!
When I begin reading it's like I'm in the book with the little girl; feeling the breeze, holding the tender beetles, feeling the grass beneath my feet. I fun story with fun facts!

Thank you Ms. Ochiltree!
Bethany
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much! I reminded me of my childhood and catching fireflies after dark. It is a fun, bittersweet summer ritual for a young girl and her dad. She counts up all the fireflies she catches, then counts back down again as she releases them back into the night. The illustrations are lovely and truly evokes the feeling of excitement children get at the sight of fireflies glowing in the night.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book is gorgeous. I just adored it. It was so sweet to read about a father and daughter making amazing summer time memories together. It was a tender story about warm summer nights and catching fireflies, but then letting them go in a very sweet way. Such a wonderful story that brought a smile to my face and warmth into my heart. The illustrations were charming and sweet. I loved the puppy so much among all the other brilliant pictures and details. It is a perfect book for summer and one I ...more
Dorine White
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because back East, where I grew up, we used to catch fireflies. Now that I live in the Northwest, we just don't have them here, so this book brought back great memories. The cover is fantastic and grabs you at once. There is color and glitter to attract a child. The story itself is sweet, about a young girl and her dad who go out to catch fireflies. The little girl puts them in her jar and then counts them as she releases them. I enjoyed the big, bold images and lush colors ...more
Kelly
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
We read this as part of our wild animal storytime.
A hit with the kids...
Shaunda Wenger
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about a girl's short adventure in catching fireflies.
The short story also provides a bit of counting: up to five and then backwards from ten.
The illustrations are bright and well-done. The rhyming text could flow better in some places where the beat stumbles and where the rhymes are forced (where the rhyme is near-rhyme instead of a perfect rhyme). These places in the story gave me pause.
This story would provide young children with a good introduction to fireflies, which are
Darlene Franklin
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a retired elementary teacher from Ohio currently teaching future teachers at a university. I mulled using this book that I won on goodreads in my class, but have decided it best belongs in the hands of my granddaughter adalyn. She does not have fireflies where she lives and this book will be a treasure and remembrance of her visits to ohio. I will be sending Diane Adalyn's photo with her lovely book.
Chantale Pard
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first comment after seeing the first page was: "Ooo! This is gorgeous!". Snyder's artwork is colorful, fun, and very captivating. Ochiltree has the storyline make a great point about making sure to set the fireflies free after playing with them - a great lesson for children to learn while appreciating nature. The rhymes flowed nicely, and the little factoids at the end were interesting and educational!
Amanda
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
Want to know more about the art and where the firefly facts at the end of the book come from.
Margie
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spend an evening with a little girl and her father enjoying one of those magical nights granted to us by summer. Dianne Ochiltree and Betsy Snyder have created a book that glows.

My full review: http://bit.ly/11i5cgI
Elisabeth
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
For those of us who live in states without fireflies - they are extra magically special.
ReadingWench
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me of growing up on the east coast. Although we called them lightnin bugs, IT'S A FIRELFY NIGHT is a good rhyming book for kids.
Sheila Read
Jun 11, 2013 marked it as to-read
I would love to get this book so I can donate it to the local cancer center.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. A quiet, simple and sweet father daughter tale evoking the memory of a hot summer night catching fireflies. Illustrations are also very appealing, dreamy and impressionistic.
Jen
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, pb
great rhyming story. wish the book and illustrations were larger sized. delightful computer based illustrations. sparkles on cover.
Dana
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sweet summer book. We appreciated the facts at the end too - a lot of what we've been wondering was answered here.
Andrew
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! Great for children and their parents to share.
Suzze Tiernan
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations but the text seemed forced in order to make rhymes.
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Whimsical and lyrical. So many good bug books out there for storytime!
Marina
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations, fun facts at the end of the book. Very pleasing to read aloud.
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a very cute book. It is simple to read and my baby niece loves it.
Aysha Herrera
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable illustrations!
gina
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book inspired a family tradition at our house. We now have "Firefly Nights" and they are magical. They're special nights my son (3.5) can stay up and catch lightning bugs with us. Super special and super magical. Love this book!
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Hmmmm. Calling this a counting book is a stretch. You count to 5 on one page and down from 10 down to 1 on another.

Rhyming text about a girl and her father out hunting fireflies and playing with them (they're released at the end).

Back matter has more info on fireflies.
Emily
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is short and has counting and a good story. It will be good for a summer Storytime!
Angela
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
Adorable, rhyming picture book sharing the magic of summer evenings spent chasing fireflies with someone special. Lovely artwork. I liked the back matter with interesting firefly facts.

• Firefly Summer (Read-It! Readers) (Read-It! Readers)
  • Long Story Short: 100 Classic Books in Three Panels
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Sleep Like a Tiger
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
  • Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin' 2.5)
Dianne Ochiltree is a nationally recognized author of books for the very young. Her books have been featured on recommended lists, translated to foreign language editions, released in audio versions and selected for use in lesson plans by teachers nationwide. Her picture book, LULL-A-BYE, LITTLE ONE, has been a selection in the Dollywood Foundation's childhood literacy initiative, Imagination Libr ...more

News & Interviews