Start by marking “Waar komen we vandaan?” as Want to Read:
Waar komen we vandaan?

Waar komen we vandaan?

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  203 ratings  ·  23 reviews
De laatste ontdekkingen over de oorsprong van de mens
Door ontdekkingen op het gebied van de menselijke evolutie wordt het beeld van onze herkomst bijna dagelijks bijgesteld. In 2002 werd onze stamboom zo'n drie miljoen jaar opgerekt door de vondst van een schedel in Chad. Oeroude botten, gevonden in 2003 in Ethiopië, zouden wel eens de oudste overblijfselen van de moderne
Published June 2006 by Nieuw Amsterdam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Waar komen we vandaan?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waar komen we vandaan?

really liked it 4.00  ·

Rossdavidh
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black
Carl Zimmer's book is a creditable survey of the science of human origins. His text is easy to read, and his treatment of the subject fairly extensive given how broad it is, but where this book really shines is in the visuals. There are 100 color photographs and illustrations in this book, and that works out to around one every two pages. This is something that more book publishers could learn from; if you want to engage the minds of the modern reader, you could do worse than to give a picture/t ...more
Fox
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fox by: Mahiri
An enjoyable look at the history of the human species - or at least what is known of it for now. The book goes into decent depth in terms of controversy surrounding certain aspects of evolution (for instance, bipedalism and why it arose) as well as explaining how paleoanthropologists manage to deduce as much as they do from such small fragments of fossil.

The book was overall enjoyable and a light enough read that it goes by quickly. In particular, the illustrations and photographs were near. I w
Kevin Shepherd
Carl Zimmer's writing is scholarly without being pretentious. You won't need a PhD to grasp his concepts and his enthusiasm for the subject matter is contagious. This book doesn't just describe the science of human evolution, it celebrates it!
Jabont Chamikorn
จบคะ 5 ดาวคะ สุดยอดไปเลย เรืองราวดี เหมือนดูสารคดี แตอาจสับสนศัพทเพราะสาขาวิชานีมีการอัพเดทศัพทตลอด เชน โฮมินิด ครอบคลุมแคไหน? บลาๆๆ บางครังอานจบไมรูวาอันไหนคือเวอรชันอัพเดท อยากใหมีฉบับปรับปรุงเพิมเติม ...more
Gijs Grob
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Beknopte beschrijving van de geschiedenis van de mens als soort (vanaf de eerste hominiden tot de eerste landbouw en veeteelt).

Het boekje is vooral interessant vanwege de jongste inzichten en ontdekkingen, waarvan sommige het beeld van onze voorgeschiedenis opvallend ingrijpend weten te veranderen. Erg volledig is het boekje echter niet, de ontdekking van het vuur en de ontwikkeling van borsten bijvoorbeeld worden volledig overgeslagen en aan de Paranthropus-tak wordt nul aandacht besteed.

Zo is
Holly Lindquist
This is a very readable and visually appealing introduction to our evolutionary roots. Packed with illustrations, photographs, and discussions of contemporary theories (example: Did humans and neanderthals interbreed?), it reads fairly fast. I found the actual writing to be a bit choppy though, with a few vagaries and some distracting tangents. Still, it's fairly up to date (it even includes Homo Floresiensis - the so-called "hobbits"). As a general overview of a fascinating science, I'd give it ...more
Clarissa
This was a fine basic introduction to what is known about hominids. However it suffered from the fact that I have just read Ian Tattersall's book Becoming Human, which has much better writing. This book did have wonderful glossy photos of artifacts, reconstructions of what various hominids looked like, and of fossils. I also did not like how the final chapter of the book mentions evolutionary psychology without indicating that it is not a very respected field of science.
Steven Taylor
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Homo sapiens
Great book about our distant ancestors. I'm glad I started with this book on the subject: it's an easy-to-read introduction with beautiful photos of the fossils. Should be read by all homo sapiens! I'll end this review as many e-mails end: forward this to ten homo sapiens you know and you'll have good luck!
Jos Rienties
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Voor alle mensen die Darwin's The Origin of the Species te moeilijk vinden.
Makkelijk leesbaar en goed begrijpbaar.Een aanrader voor al diegene die ondanks alle feiten de evolutie theorie blijven verwerpen.
Joe Iacovino
Solid presentation. Easy read, great illustrations. Provides a good overview. It is not overly technical which relegates it to those who are "beginners" or maybe some "intermediates" in the studying of human evolution. I do recommend it to be part of your science bookshelf.
Jason Furman
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a series of Discover articles, up-to-date, lots of nice photos, graphs, and charts. A useful primer on the topic.
Hunter R.
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, but didn't go into the details too deep, and didn't talk about some of the roots of the M168 and connection of the indigenous Australians. It is similar to many books on the subject.
Bob Alexander
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelent introductory overview
Zara
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very basic but well written and easy to read.
Annisa
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the version whose title is "Where Did We Come From?". It was exactly the same book as the Smithsonian Guide. I don't like the inserts.
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I admit it, I bought this book for the pictures. The photography is awesome. Mr. Zimmer's book is an excellent summary of human origins and an easy read.
Adam Lewis
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A popular-level account of human origins. Carl Zimmer's writing is crystal clear as usual and the illustrations are first rate.
Ashley Malan
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introductory book on hominids/ human evolution. Easy to read, concisely written and packed with very interesting information.
Stacey
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice illustrated introduction to human origins.
Greg Collver
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book and I enjoy Zimmer's style of writing. I did not enjoy the inserts, it was like reading National Geographic articles with inserts that disrupt the story line.

J.R. Ortiz

• Relics of Eden: The Powerful Evidence of Evolution in Human DNA
  • Cafe Neandertal: Excavating Our Past in One of Europe's Most Ancient Places
  • The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution
  • Human Evolution: A Very Short Introduction
Carl Zimmer is a columnist for the New York Times and the author of 13 books about science. His latest book, She Has Her Mother's Laugh, will be published in May 2018. Zimmer is a frequent guest on Radiolab and has written hundreds of articles for magazines such as National Geographic, The Atlantic, and Wired. He is, to his knowledge, the only writer after whom a species of tapeworm has been named ...more