Start by marking “Unseen” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,177 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Life for Jake Paris is stable and ordinary--until a mysterious old woman pays him a visit and he begins to have encounters with unruly children everywhere he goes—children only he can see.

When Jake's estranged sister, Holly, finds herself the target of a national serial killer who has chosen her son as his next victim, Jake begins to wonder if there is a connection. Could
Published August 2012 by Amlin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unseen

Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nancy
This book was free on amazon. I enjoyed it very much. It dealt with abortion, murder, and kidnapping of children. Jake kept seeing pregnant women, and seeing children, he began to think were ghosts. Nobody else could see the children. Jake could talk with the children, and he could feel them. It became a real page turner the last 30% of the book.

I read this book a couple of years ago. I was at the eye specialist, and looking for a book to read on my Kindle, and I started to read this book again
Elaine
Aug 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: free-books
Free today on Amazon
Laura Bruhns
Sep 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
Don't review books. But this turned into pro-life propaganda disguised as a thriller. Couldn't finish it.
Dora A Collins
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Unseen

It was a cute plot and after the recent news of people selling the tissue of aborted children it was a very relevant book.
Barbara Brink
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and thought provoking suspense thriller! The characters of Jake and his sister Holly were fully fleshed out and easy to connect with and the story was simply a page-turner.
Cher
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this intense thriller. It was almost 2 stories rolled into 1 book. Nicely written.
Allison Shakman
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Evelyn De lara
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another one to add to my favorites.

I got this ebook for free on Amazon from a recommendation through Bookbubs a while ago. I am so glad I finally decided to read it....Creative, chilling, graphic, and unpredictable. I've caught myself holding my breath.

What would you do if all of a sudden you start to see children no one else can see?... Jake finds out his nephew has been taken by a serial killer. Are the children only he can see there to help him save his nephew?

It may not be for everyone, as
Linda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A touching story of a brother and sister raised by a drug-addicted single mother. Each of the siblings have heart wrenching adventures that are cleverly interwoven. Great read from beginning to end!
Dulcie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-goal-50
Feel good read,

This book held my attention. The suspense kept me guessing most of the way through. Overall I enjoyed it. I read it in one day.
Jane
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2012
My goal here is to provide a review that is both honest and fair, without spoilers.

Let me start with what I liked about this book:
1. The book is readable. Although the number of minor errors was somewhat higher than I'm used to, as if the book had received less editing attention, there weren't so many errors that they became really distracting. Overall, the writing was clear and pace were good. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished it--I'm picky about that sort of thing.
2. The premise was
Kim
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This story will not end the way you think it will. Yes, it involves a serial killer. Yes, it has children being abducted and families ripped apart. But man, does it trick you! I thought I had everything lined up and knew where it was heading only to have the rug pulled out from under me! For once, I was genuinely wrong about a plot and enjoyed it.

The characters are well written and draw you into their state of mind easily. The only hard part about the entire book was trying to decipher the dial
Joleen
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, abortion
At the moment I'm reading another book, but my mind keeps wandering back and comparing it to Unseen. Unfortunately, there is no comparison. Current book: slow, dull and often makes me want to say, "Just get on with it already!". Unseen: fast paced, mysterious, and always made me want to know what comes next. Unseen, just like Hileman's Messages, immediately sucks you in, making you want more and not wanting to put it down.
Because of children (and an old lady) that only he can see, Jake begins a
Meaghan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Jake Paris starts out as your typical male character. Nice job and a beautiful wife. That, of course, is until a mysterious woman appears with a message for him and them he begins seeing unruly children all around - children only he can see...

Jake's sister, Holly, also finds herself in the middle of terrible situation. Her son has been kidnapped by a serial killer. Jake begins to wonder if these children have been sent to his to help him find his nephew. Have they? If so, what do they know? How
Kolleen
Jake Paris is a normal enough guy- pretty girlfriend, good job, funny and charming best friend. Suddenly, his whole life is thrown upside-down when he loses his job, starts to see ghost children, and a serial killer abducts his nephew all in the same day.

At first I didn't really like this book. The writing was poor at the beginning and the way the ghost children talked annoyed me. But as the story went on, I realized that this was a murder-mystery with a little bit of the paranormal mixed in. I
Joana
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This book had me at hello... seriously. This gripping little thriller was everything I expected from John Michael Hileman and more.

Jake, a young man who has just lost his job, begins seeing ghost children on the same day that his young nephew goes missing. For most of the story he believes that the children are somehow connected to his nephews kidnapping however to the delight of the readers there are two distinct stories developing. This book is action packed and demonstrates a very, very impor
Paula
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Jake is having a discussion with his girlfriend when a knock comes to the door. A little old lady is standing there with a white rose and a message. She is emphatic that Jake not let the rose die.

As Jake goes to work, he starts seeing children that no one else seems to see. He is let go from his job and his sister's son Gabe is kidnapped by a serial killer all in the same day.

This was a page turner. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next and why the children had suddenly appeared.

I gave
Naty
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical as I started reading this book. I had read John Michael Hileman’s book “Messages” some time ago and somehow at the beginning it seemed to follow the same pattern. So I told myself to just keep reading since I had already started. I’m so glad I did.

The book is very different than “Messages” and their only similarity is that it’s a book you will not be able to put down.

Trying as always not to spoil the book for you, I will try to describe the context
Heather
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it

Quick read. Basically 2 story lines going on. Preferred Jake's story to Holly's. 2 separate books would've allowed more character interactions, and more detailed stories. Two different kinds of stories going on - suspense and supernatural. Enjoyed both, but wish there had been more to them. For example, more about the history of Jake and Jenna's relationship, more about the serial killer and the suspect's connections. A lot happened in a short period of time. The purpose of Jake's supernatural
Marguerite Czajka
May 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Samantha Hopkins
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! Loved it, loved it, loved it!! Its so unpredictable!!

The story focuses around Jake who's nephew is abducted by serial killer and at the same time he starts to encounter children that only he can see. He believes these children are sent to help him find his nephew but there is also another twist as you read further.

I couldn't help but continue to read this book to see what was going to happen next; if I could, I would have read it all day and night!

I highly recommend this book
Jason Maurer
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked by the end of the first paragraph, and was not disappointed. The characters were well-written, thought out, and clearly life-like in their overall appearance.

The children of the novel were the highlight, if only because of the ending. I laughed and cried at all the right moments.

My only issue with the novel is that there seemed to be a bit more going on with the children than the author described. I would love to read a sequel and learn more about all the character backstories.

Overa
grumpybybirth
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Thompson
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book!

This is my second book by John Michael Hileman and I'm going to look up more after this review. He is such a talented author. This book is so beautifully written, the characters are relatable, you feel compassion, awe, you will feel your eyes well up, and it is definitely not a predictable storyline. I've been bored by books that I can tell what will happen 5 chapters(or more) a head, and his books are satisfying in this department. He's topped on my favorite author list, a
Jessielynn11
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Freebie from Amazon. I will just say that I enjoyed reading it however I do agree with a few other reviews in that the ending felt a little rushed and there were still some holes for me that didn't quite make sense. Also I think the seriousness of the main plot was a little lost with the parallel plot line. I think the author could have found a better way to tie the two main story lines together. I felt there was to much disconnect between what was happening to Jake and what was happening with h ...more
Carol
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great read with a lot of creep factor, and tense sub-plots going on. I purposefully don't give much of the plot points away because in this case it would ruin the read. The main character's loser sister "loses" her child most likely to a serial killer. While coming to the aid of a sister he has been estranged from, he sees children no one else sees. He not only sees them, but can communicate with them. I was intrigued right from the start and found I couldn't put the story down. I'm no ...more
Bob
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
A mysterious old woman shows up at a fellow's door and gives him a flower and all of a sudden his life gets turned upside down. He starts seeing 'ghost' children everywhere and they seem to want to give him a message. He assumes it is a message to solve the recent kidnapping of his nephew by a serial killer, but is it? Not a bad setup for a story, but there is so much that either isn't explained or doesn't make sense that i really can't recommend the book. It's not an awful book, just not all on ...more
Nina Irwin
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Jake is getting ready to leave for work when an old lady knocks at his door. She hands him a rose and warns him not to let the flower die. There is a child killer in the city so Jake is surprised to see a child by himself as he leaves his apartment. Then he starts seeing and communicating with children that no one else sees, even at his office. Then he gets a call that his nephew has been taken by the killer. Do these "unseen" children have a connection to his missing nephew.

This is a good book,
Janice Spina
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating read with twists and turns at every corner. The main character is haunted by his past, having had a mother who was addicted to drugs. His sister is now following in their mother's footsteps. Jake runs away from his problems instead of facing them head on. Some strange things start to happen that force Jake to take a stand and face the demons that plague him.

This is the first book I have read by this talented author. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to more en
  • Alex
  • Completely Restored
  • Lost and Found (Walk the Right Road, #2)
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • The Donzerly Light
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Hope Road
  • Dark Entry
  • Walk in Darkness (Jon Stanton, #2)
  • The Midget's House
  • What We Saw
  • A Madman's Song
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • Grayson Manor Haunting
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Rain and Revelation
  • The Bet
  • The Dead Room
After serving in the U.S. Army, John Michael Hileman started a small 3D animation company. From there he was hired as production director for a television station, where he oversaw the production of three semi-national television programs. In his spare time, while being a faithful husband and father, he authored his first book, VRIN: ten mortal gods, which later placed in the top four of a nationa ...more
More about John Michael Hileman

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Most Dangerous Animal of All
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99