Start by marking “The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun” as Want to Read:
The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun

The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun (The Bestiary)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
ebook
Published November 7th 2012 by Less Than Three Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun

Emma Sea
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: waste-of-my-time
Tentaclelove comrades, do not read this book. It only enraged me.

1/ no tentaclesex.

2/ The MC is not a Kraken, he's a human, with tentacles.

3/ While he has tentacles, the author gives no consideration to this in the text. E.g. he "went to reclaim his cup of tea". Ever seen an octopus moving out of water? 'Went' is not the verb that springs to mind. He travels through vast networks of dry mountain tunnels. At one point he wades through a pool.

4/ The ogre is a reclusive hermit, living in the dark
Mel
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-sff
Hehe :-) I needed something different, something that would be a great counterpoint to another book full of clichés and stereotypes that I have to read right now, and it turns out EE really is reliable. They is the perfect choice. Not only when I’m desperately in the mood for another kind of story, but in general. I’ve come to really enjoy their stories.

‘The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun’ is a slow-paced story, some parts could even be considered dull, but this all helps create a unique u
Cole Riann
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I have really been impressed with this whole first bundle of The Bestiary stories, and I think this is one of the best. Not a short story, but a novella at 30k words, this story deals with less actual plot than most short stories I seem to read, but because of that we're allowed much more time to get to know the characters. This has a slow and easy pace, just like the setting and the narrator, a mountain troll who has escaped deep into his mountain to mourn t
KimberlyRose
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, Ottoman, I love everything you write! You stun me.

Emma Sea is spot-on with her review: yup, excessive descriptions of a troll's rituals; and yup, an un-kraken-like kraken creature. I recommend reading her pov--it's insightful. On the other hand, here's my differing opinion on this novella, a story I highly recommend.

Because I'm not a tentacle story purist, I easily ignored any travesties, and I didn't mind the troll's ablutions, finding his daily care of self--only for self, because he was a
Niki
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The pace is slow in this one but I did not find it boring at all. I actually enjoy the details of Egrill's simple life. Love the idea of a mountain troll and a kraken. Certainly Dagr the kraken is a very refreshing character and I can so visualize his appearance. Would have love more on each man's past. Ultimately this is a heartwarming story of two very lonely beings finding each other and I really enjoy the interaction between this mountain troll and this unique creature of the ocean. My secon ...more
TS
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was bored or confused most of the time. This book made little to no sense, and when it try to do the author failed to impressing.
Tenny
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, gay, merpeople, short
I wonder if I should make a kraken tag... Hm.
Anyway, this story is short, but it still makes you absolutely love the characters. Both the main hero - the troll who lives alone in the mountain, and the other hero - the man who claims to be a kraken who comes to visit him. They were absolutely adorable together.
Despite the kraken feature, the book is not kinky at all, just little angsty and sweet.
Omega696
I loved Egrill and Dagr. Sure the book had some easy solutions for difficult problems and you certainly shouldn't think too much while reading it, but it was cute and I liked the characters very much.
Fehu
3,5 stars
It took me some time to get into this story and when the pace did pick up, and other characters where introduced, I did end up liking it. HOWEVER, the story is not that long and if it takes one 1/3 of the book to get into it, that's a bit long, for this length. I did get the feeling of loneliness and isolation which Egrill was feeling and it left me feeling sorry for him, because about one third of the story were spend on the description of the mountain and the caves, where Egrill lived
Cynthia
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
To read more of my reviews, please visit http://onsilverwingz.blogspot.com/201...

The pacing is slow but it fits the general mood with Egrill. The story really deals with how Egrill overcome his grief and reenters the troll community through meeting with Dagr, the Kraken. Egrill lives like a hermit and even uses magic to create food rather than going out to the surface and collect food. He meets Dagr.

I like that neither of them fully knows the other person and it takes time and unexpected visits
blub
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it

A good read and it felt similar to Heart of Water and Stone another E.E. Ottoman story I liked. Both Egrill and Dagr were adorable characters with interesting backgrounds. I wasn't sure how a relationship between a mountain troll and kraken would work but the author did a wonderful job answering that.
Mar 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
Egrill spends his day cloistered in his mountain home, unable to leave behind memories of the brutal war he fought and the lover he lost in the fight. But his peaceful solitude is interrupted by a strange creature that claims to be a mythical Kraken, and Egrill can't deny that he is certainly like nothing Egrill has ever encountered ...
Antonella
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, slowly developing story. The MCs are quite unique: both with a tormented past, they (view spoiler). The world building details are sprinkled here and there, but they are enough to get an idea of this universe.
Sue
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
Another story from Less Than Three Press's Bestiary collection.
I really liked this one too.
I have enjoyed E. E. Ottoman's previous stories, so was unsurprised to find I really enjoyed The Kraken Lord and the Eater of the Sun. She does write trolls beautifully!
Ayanna
Jun 04, 2014 marked it as probably-not
I am a Tentaclelove comrade, therefore I take my comrade's warning in good faith. Za vas, tovarisch.
Lada
Silverin
Dec 02, 2012
Nov 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
queer, disabled, trans man, author, sometimes historian, all around nerd . . . pronouns are: they/them/their or he/him/his
More about E.E. Ottoman...

The Bestiary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Staff of Kyade