Start by marking “Valley of Dust” as Want to Read:
Valley of Dust

Valley of Dust

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Even as a little girl, Selene had always been adventurous, climbing trees and finding new adventures in every nook and cranny. She was never accepted by either gender—all children thought she was too outspoken and strange. Little did she know how different she truly was until an encounter with a mysterious stranger changes her life forever. Readers can witness the intrigui ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Xlibris

To ask other readers questions about Valley of Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of Dust

Sarika Patkotwar
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5

Author Karoleen Vry Bucks sent us (The Readdicts) a copy of Valley Of Dust for reviewing. I just finished reading it.

I found Valley of Dust very, very interesting. Initially, I thought it would be like any other regular paranormal romance. But there was so much more to it than just that. In Valley of Dust, you are introduced to some new, fresh and quite different concepts.
Valley of Dust is about a species called as strigoi, who can inject life and also drain it from another p
Flora Smith
I received a free copy of this in exchange for my honest review.

When I first started reading this book I had my doubts about whether or not I would like it. But by the time I was done I did like it. I would even probably stretch this up to 3.5 stars because the underlying story definitely has an original twist to it and I liked the direction it was taking by the end.

Its difficult to talk about this book without giving spoilers but I shall do my best to do just that. It certainly was not what I
Karoleen Brucks
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

I enjoyed writing this book. I worked with a great editor and cover artist. I know as a writer we have to have thick skin or else we'd break in a day. Amazon offers a free inside preview and I hope if your interested you will test it out for yourself. Thank you.
Mary
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was contacted by the author to read and review this book. It sounded good and I want to thank Karoleen for the copy of this book.

Best part of the book: Talk about a LOVE TRIANGLE! The blurb does it no justice! Y'all know that I love a good Love Triangle and this one is good! I am totally #TeamLucian !! I liked him from the start. Now, I am going to have to be careful about this review a bit because the book is jam-packed full of information and I don't want to spoil anything. However, this is
LilyElement
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Selene always felt like she didn’t belong, whether it be her family or school mates. She uses art as a channel, and is a bartender on the side at night. During a jog one evening, Selene is accosted and a mystery man comes to her rescue. She quickly discovers that there is a side to herself that she never knew about. While healing she meets Lucian and stays at his house to recuperate. A love connection forms but there are a lot of bumps in the road.

There is a love triangle in this book, but it do
Jillyn
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog
I don't really have a long review for this one. It's mediocre. It reads to me more like a creative writing paper in school than a book, but it has a good concept. It just wasn't my thing, overall.

Thanks to Flora and From the Bootheel Cotton Patch blog for my copy.
Ryan
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From a guys perspective I did not find the book corny for being in the romance genre. Interesting concept on strigoi's; I look forward to know more about them. The heroine's mood was very interesting and I enjoyed seeing her grow stronger. Look forward to reading again from this author.
Matthew Leeth
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story intrigues. The writing fascinates with it's unique quality. The characters entice. A beautiful paranormal romance with darkness surrounding it.
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

This was a hard review to write, as I like to be nice, but do need to point out stuff I didn't like about this book, but also point out what I did like as well.

Let’s start with the Good

This book has a pretty good concept of the Strigoi, which after I looked it up I found it comes from Romanian folklore, they are also known as immortal vampires, but suck energy from people not blood. (In this story that energy source varies from one person to the other) Selene is an elemental strigoi so she sucks
Emily
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
RATING : 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed Valley of Dust thoroughly.
Karoleen makes a fresh take on the concept of vampires in the form of the strigoi. I have just looked it up, and apparently in Romanian folklore, Strigoi are also known as immortal vampires.

The plot is interesting, with many twists and action that will keep you on the edge of your seat. However, at some points, the events that occur are almost too convenient.
I was rather meh to Selene at first. However, she did grow on me as I read on. I
Barbara ★
I thought this story was just mediocre. It reads like a first draft that wasn't improved upon by an editor or even a beta-reader. For example, halfway through the book the detectives named changed from Michael Jones, to Michael Brown and then back again a few chapters later. All the characters were two-dimensional and Selene just accepted really bizarre things without a blink. It was totally unrealistic and when she suddenly (view spoiler) ...more
White Wave
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I noticed that this is the author's first book and I think she did a really good job. I give it four stars instead of five because I would like to have seen Selene's world expanded more. I am quite curious about the other characters and some of Selene's deeper thoughts and past. I also think the author could make some of the dialog smoother and easier to understand.
I love the cover art; that always draws me in. I love her descriptions of Selene and picture a beautiful, strong woman, but would a
Roice
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can finally say that I finished this book. First I'd like to say sorry to Karoleen for taking this long to post my review. My little sister kind of got it stolen at school. I got it back yesterday and finished it as fast as possible, disregarding all the scratches on the cover. Anyways, as overdue as it is, here's my review.

I found "Valley of Dust" to be refreshing and enchanting. A nice change from all the books that seem to be repeats of each other. The characters are indeed original, I had
Atzimba
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I think this book was okay overall. It definitely has potential to become something more given that the story needs to be more development.
An example would be that the main character, Selene, is a live "strigoi". There's no explanation or meaning of the word "strigoi". Where did the strigoi derive from? In the book, it says that strigoi can be born from regular humans. Does that mean it's just a genetic flaw? While reading I constantly had questions building up in my head that went unanswered. I
Martin Rodriguez
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book and I can't thank Karoleen enough. I read the free preview on Amazon and now I can't wait till I get my copy !

This review will be updated as soon as I finish the whole thing.

Brooke Banks
I won this in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

Summary : I enjoyed it and do plan on continuing the series. I found the plot and storyworld an intriguing breath of fresh air. It's in a compressed package that I wish was more in depth, brought more background and showed more meat instead of the lean, sometimes jumpy, telling, convenient book we have now. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book and I do recommend it. I just think it has far more potential and hope it lives up to it in the follow
Sam Kasbrick
Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF Explanation:

How far I got: 44%

Okay, so Valley of Dust's narration is quite strange. It alternates the type of narration as well as the point of view. The first chapter is told as first person narrative, through the POV of Selene. Then, the second chapter is told as third person narrative, through the POV of Lucian. I found that to be very weird. This didn't turn me off, however; it was other things...

So, there were plenty of spelling mistakes and basic grammatical errors. Not to mention all
Lauren
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Alright, I'm going to start this review out by saying that I give props to Ms. Brucks for even writing a book and getting it published. That is certainly an accomplishment. That being said, unfortunately the book was awful. There was no character building and what back stories I read about were so fleeting and ill placed, they didn't make sense. Not to mention much too short to warrant being there. Who were these gypsies and why did they hate the strigoi so much? How were live strigoi chosen an ...more
Julia Taraszewski
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was super excited when I got it in the mail!

As I started reading it immediately, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. However! I grew to love the story right after the beginning. The intertwining of strigoi and human lives was great. It was very interesting to read this new take on vampires.

I always like the bad guy as much if not more than the hero. I was rooting for Anton half the time. I thought it really weird and unrealistic that he woul
Gaele
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Combining a romance with Romanian mythology and gypsy influences, the author has created a new form of vampire, an “energy vampire” that feeds on life force rather than blood. While they can create new members for their society, the born members are both the rulers and also the center of the management of Strigoi in the human society.

Tightly drawn characters are the center of this story, with a focus on the development and story of Selene and Lucien, her destined mate. Other characters are brie
Alegna
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty good story about a young girl learning about who she really is and what she can do. Although I must say, it was written at a very fast pace so I got confused a couple of times and had to constantly be checking fast. I would have liked more dialogue (properly written by the way in MLA style, not in a mashed up paragraph) as well as more explanation and description as to what she is, what kind of men she falls for, etc. Good story, just needs more developing in its writing in order for it ...more
Heather andrews
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
When first reading the back of the book and I see "Will Selene come between the two brothers?" I automatically think of The Vampire Diaries (lately everything reminds me of the show), but as I got to reading the book it is nowhere near like The Vampire Diaries at all. i loved how it would go back and forth between Selene and Lucian's point of view. The was fast paced had my attention from page 1. It was however a little confusing trying to decifer who was speaking during dialogue moments as they ...more
Amber
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I had a hard time following the story line from the beginning.. I must have missed a book or something before this that explained alot of the terminology.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Sandi
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Interesting story with gypsy lore. Paragraph stucture and grammar/spelling errors kept it from receiving a higher rating from me. Overall a easy quick read.
Caroline Victoria Murphy (CazzReadsYA)
I just received a free copy through the post from the author, and she signed it for me. Thank you so much Karoleen for sending it to me! I can't wait to start reading!
Jannah
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
To be reviewed soon...
Tina
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book for review. It's got beautiful twists and turns. I can't wait to read the next book she writes.
Passion For Pages
rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2012
Misery
rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2012
Elaine
Oct 23, 2012
  • The Column Racer (Column Racer, #1)
  • Awakened (The Legends Of Elyndia, #1)
  • Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)
  • A Beautiful Fate
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Word and Breath (Wordless Chronicles, #1)
  • Prophecy Girl
  • The Return (Witch Hunter Saga #2)
  • Beloved
  • Goddess Cottage
  • Lunangelique's Sleeping Gods
  • Severed Colours (Colour Wielders, #2)
  • Sweet Glory
  • The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards, #1)
  • Seal of Destiny (Seven Seals, #1)
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • Someone Bad and Something Blue (Angel Crawford Series, #2)
  • Haunting Obsession
French-American author Karoleen Vry Brucks lives with her husband and 3-year-old daughter in North Carolina. She enjoys writing, painting, cooking different cuisines and loves animals. She loves North Carolina because one can get the beach and mountains with very little distance in between the two.
More about Karoleen Vry Brucks...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)