Start by marking “The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)

The Exile's Violin

(Tethys Chronicles #1)

Why hire mercenaries to kill an innocent family just to obtain one little key? That question haunts Jacquie Renairre for six years as she hunts down the people responsible for murdering her parents.

Not even accepting an assignment to investigate a conspiracy that aims to start a war can keep her from searching for the key. Armed with her father’s guns and socialite Clay Ba
Published September 17th 2012 by Hydra Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Exile's Violin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exile's Violin

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,023 books — 4,260 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerChangeless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineBlameless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Steampunk
396 books — 628 voters

More lists with this book...

Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
When I started The Exile’s Violin I found myself questioning if a male author could pull of writing a novel from a females POV. I started thinking about how many books I have read that were wrote by men with a female main character. I did not come up with many. I was pleasantly surprised by the reality that R.S. Hunter wrote it flawlessly. Jacquie was a fantastic strong and firey women. Even through the worse of her troubles she was never helpless or hopeless. R.S. Hunter created a creative mast ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first thing I want to say, before even addressing the story, is that I love, love, love, love, love the cover. It's awesome. I thought the airships where largely made of metal instead of wood, but who cares. The cover rocks. The story was pretty good.

For me, the tag team comedy of Jacquie and Clay really made the book. In fact I would read the whole thing again just for Clay. His ability to blithely flaunt and disparage his wealthy upbringing at the same time was endearing and his obvious af
D.A. Adams
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
Not a very good book. The narrative voice lacks depth and character. Too much overuse of generic, abstract language. The characters are thin, 2-D caricatures, and the story doesn't ring with authentic life experience.
Charlie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may work better for others, but not for me.
Issues that I had were characters introduced, killed quickly, and I am supposed to have sympathy but I cannot. They were not on the page long enough to get to know them.
Also, there is a six year time pass with nothing more than a slight mention of "These past six-years".
Then, there is dialog that is classified as Butler-Maid dialog, or the "As you know, ...." dialog.
The character that is introduced and survives more than two chapters is obviously g
Brian Wilkerson
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Trickster Eric Novels review

R.S. Hunter asked me to review his story "Exile's Violin." It's a steampunk detective novel with a smidgen of fantasy. It stars Jacquie, a girl who losses everything when thieves blow up her home. The backbone of the story is her quest to retrieve two items that were stolen from her at that time and take revenge on those that did it. The following review will evaluate the characters, plot, polish, and finally assign a grade.

PLOT

There are three genres in this story:
William Hardman
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Waited a long time for the reprint. Time well spent. Live the characters, premise and whole concept

Book reads like a movie,fast and furious. Can't wait for " Terraviathon" . Hope that this is the start of a whole slew of adventures
Anna Tan
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
Jacquie Renairre has never accepted that her parents' deaths were an accident - capitalising on her guardian, Uncle Serge's contacts and her burgeoning skills as a Private Investigator, Jacquie embarks on a quest to discover the truth behind the mysterious black key that was stolen on the night her parents were murdered. Teaming up with socialite Clay Baneport, Jacquie is also contracted by Special Advisor Maximilian Delacroix to investigate a possible conspiracy to start a war between her home ...more
Sheila
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacquie Renairre’s life is turned upside down when her parents are murdered, her home destroyed, and her two most precious possessions stolen by person or persons unknown. Luckily her mysterious uncle arrives to offer shelter, and Jacquie studies the art of detective work at his side. Now she’s out to recover what she lost and find out why her parents died. A surprising side-kick offers help, and a story of fast action, violent warfare, revenge and magic ensues.

The Exile’s Violin is set in an en
Romina
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Jaquie Renairre is hunting for the killer of her parents. It seems they were killed for a broken key her father wore around his neck.
For 6 years Jaquie has had no luck until she takes an investigation assignment on a conspiracy that aims to start a war. With her partner Clay Baneport the investigation leads them closer to her parents killers than she thought possible.
A cross between science fiction and fantasy this book is very detailed with two strong main characters.
Although this book is writ
Mike
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
The plot is like a cargo net. I don't mean that it's carefully woven - I mean it's full of huge holes.

I didn't much like the mostly reactive and otherwise violent main character, either. Not what I think of as a strong female protagonist.

There were also numerous editing issues, but they can be fixed fairly easily. The plot and characters, not so much. Shows some promise, though, the prose is mostly competent and the action scenes are well done. Good banter, too.

I received a free review copy o
Barry Huddleston
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised to receive a review copy of the ebook “The Exile’s Violin” from the author, R.S. Hunter. The ebook is a fast-paced steampunk tale, although it has a lot of those human (and humorous) moments.

“Have you seen my glasses?”

Sighing, she pointed at his head. With a look of sheepish comprehension, he reached up and pulled them down onto his face.

I thought that the world-building was superb. All to often, a steampunk story starts as something else and the author simply glues
Liviu
Aug 22, 2012 marked it as tried-but-not-for-me
great cover, interesting blurb and irresistible title; the book starts well too

read some 100 pages and it's quite entertaining but with a little bit too many logic holes; it's early so there may be some later explanation for at least the major one which almost made me put the book down (the heroine with a distinctive physical appearance goes in to rob an auction for the rich and powerful, mayhem ensues, people get killed and nobody seems to care later especially how she basically flaunts her get
Jodi Woody
This was an "OK" Steampunk read. It moved a little slow and the characters needed to be fleshed out a little bit. Lot's of action and some intrigue, though a little predictable. I think it best suited for YA. There was some mild swearing, no sexual content, and there was fighting. I give it three stars. I liked it.
Bill Tillman
Steampunk at its finest! Great adventure, pain, loss, overcomes tragedy. Jacquie is a one eyed wonder with Uncle Serge as a tutor. She fights against the world of injustice and corruption. Great Read!
Claudette Gabbs
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Great mixture of sci-fi, mystery & action/adventure.
Liberum Latine
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far so good. Might bump the star rating up to 5. Love the original artwork and the quality of the writing.
Charles L. Stewart
Dec 14, 2016
Kandice Cook
May 09, 2014
Heather
Feb 04, 2014
Haplo
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2013
May 20, 2018
Michael lin
Feb 18, 2018
The Genre Undergr...: Looking for some more reviewers 2 16 Feb 25, 2013 11:28AM

• And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • An Airship Named Desire (Take to the Skies, #1)
  • Tales of the Dim Knight
  • Thomas Riley
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • In An Iron Cage: The Magic of Steampunk
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • Obsidian Eyes
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Heart of Iron
  • Purple Knot (Shades of Hope, #1)
  • Steampunk'd
  • Dragon Town
  • Like Clockwork
  • Bat Wing
  • Flaming London
  • Waves of Regret
R.S. Hunter–nobody calls him that in real life, but it looked and sounded nice on book covers–is a science fiction and fantasy author. He fell in love with science fiction from the moment the Star Destroyer first appeared on the screen in Star Wars. His grandmother made sure she had the VHS tapes ready whenever he visited her house from then on.

His short fiction has appeared in anthologies like In