Start by marking “Deception Peak (Ian's Realm Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deception Peak (Ian's Realm Saga, #1)

Deception Peak

(Ian's Realm Saga #1)

Deception Peak is now Book 1 in the Ian's Realm Saga.
AISN: B01HHOM1XU
ISBN: 978-0692976128

Part 1. Deception Peak
Ian's Realm Saga, is a young adult adventure fantasy about a teenager, Ian Wilson, who follows his father, Alex, through a portal that magically appears on their computer screen while they are creating a game engine. They travel into a deceptively beautiful Realm,
Paperback, 1st, 228 pages
Published August 26th 2012 by Hydra Publications (first published August 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deception Peak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception Peak

Start your review of Deception Peak (Ian's Realm Saga, #1)
Kriss
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I want to rush out right now and buy this for my discerning reader and petulant twelve-year-old my wonderful 12 year-old son Liam.

This is a child who is reading at college level and has been since he was 9. It is a constant struggle keeping him in books because it seems these days so many series skip from first chapter books and fly right through the Wonder Years, right past GO and forget the not all the boys play sports or video games, some of these boys read. There are only so many times a chi
Brenda Perlin
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This creative fantasy should be popular with young boys and girls or anyone who is looking for a real escape or adventure. It serves very good messages such as learning to take risks, be a free thinker, be brave and keep an open mind among other life lessons. This is a story of friendship and loyalty as well as courage and wisdom in the most divine sense.

Where it was all going to lead became a real mystery. This story of survival kept me wondering what would happen next. For me, someone who doe
Sheila
Dianne Lynn Gardner just might be the next John White, and Ian’s Realm the new Anthropos. With pleasingly consistent writing, enjoyably flawed teen characters, and a world that blends real-world emotions with intriguing imagination, the Ian's Realm novels are perfectly tuned to a middle grade male audience and highly recommended.
Ian is a very ordinary, lonely young man. Motherless, with a fascinating but socially inept father, a love for computers and swords, and teachers who simply don’t under
Kelley Lynn
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Deception Peak by Dianne Lynn Gardner was a great, quick read. I actually won it in a contest, received it a few days later and finished it the day I got it. The characters, especially Ian, are very relatable, especially through their flaws.

I am amazed at the talent of Dianne, not only with the writing but with the artwork of hers that is sprinkled throughout this book. It's seriously breathtaking. I wish those pictures were in color.

Overall a very nice read. I look forward to the rest of the
Cindy Lyle
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novel was part of a monthly read in my group on Goodreads. A free copy was provided for my review.

This was a fun read. Deception Peak wasn’t your typical fantasy being that it had elements of science fiction involved. It is geared toward young adults, mostly male, but I think fantasy fans at any age would enjoy this.

The story starts out introducing us to Ian who is a typical teenage boy is living with his father Alex. Ian’s mother is deceased leaving Alex to raise his son on his own, which
De Jr.
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: native-s-reads
Deception Peak
By: Dianne Lynn Gardner

Dragons, heroes, Grandmamma telling urban Legends to the little children gathered at her knee around the fire…..their looks of fright as she told them such things that scare them enough to cover their faces…..

A boy named Amleth’s, determined to find a way to not only find his father….but to rid his people and their town from the dragon that is a constant part of their everyday life, and the subject of the urban legends with which Grandmamma speaks of often as
Erin Danzer
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a copy for review, but I would gladly pay for it as well. Deception Peak tells the story of Ian Wilson, a teenager who follows his dad into their computer into the Realm, an alternate universe of sorts. When Ian's dad is lost and Ian himself is captured, he must risk everything to save his dad and begin to find their way home.

The first thing I want to say is what a great storyteller Ms. Gardner is. I loved the imagery of the landscapes, of both Ian's world and the Realm.
Jill Swanson-Diaz
This was an awesome work of science fiction and fantasy! Dianne is a superb writer and I was thouroughly engrossed in Ian's story! Her world building and imagery is wonderful and makes this story leap from the pages. I was definitely caught up and amazed with the realm Dianne had created. She writes with great description and fluidity. The story begins with an old tale that speaks of magic and dragons. It tells of a man that will come from through the window and rid the land of the dragon that p ...more
Ali (Ali's Bookshelf )
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
First off I want to say how much I enjoyed reading this book, it was given to me by First Rule Publicity for this blog tour and I loved reading it.

Deception Peak is a story full of great characters and incredible descriptions. I really love how this story flowed right off the pages and into the room I was reading it. It was if the characters were right in front of me playing out what Dianne Gardner had wrote. The characters are so realistic in this book that I felt as if I could really relate to
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was an exciting and fun adventure story aimed at a younger YA male audience. It was enjoyable as an adult female reader, but I can see how it is aimed for a different audience.

Ian is a relatable character. His attitude toward school and girls seemed realistic, and while the adventures he has are unusual, his reactions and emotions are not. They felt reasonable and realistic.

I was a bit disappointed in Alex, Ian’s father. He seemed so out to lunch when it came to anything related to reality.
Diane
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I don’t remember why I bought it on Audible, since I did so a long time ago. I decided to listen to it now as part of a challenge on Habitica to fulfill the “Read a book by an author new to you” part of the challenge.

A 15 year old boy and his father stumble upon the entrance to a different world through their computer and there get separated and when this happens the boy realizes this world isn’t just benign but has some very dark and dangerous aspects t
Babs
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The author does a wonderful job of taking you to a world you do not want to leave. You can sense everything Ian does from smell to seeing. While trying to save his dad from the fantasy world Ian gets help from the villagers in doing so he over comes his fears to face a dragon. He also learns he is worth something as a son and as a friend.

A wonderful read for anyone one. My son wants to read this book. The illustrations are wonderful and the story takes you in. The message is helpful for kids wh
Jenna Roads
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenna by: http://dragontargeseries.blogspot.com/
Awesome Book! I loved the coming of age story of Ian. He travels through time in a port hole on his computer and you are whisked away into the magical world that transcends all space and time. A wonderful story about the development of courage and the real true meaning of friendship.
The visions the author paints for you, make you feel as if you can taste, smell, and feel every sight, sound and emotion. The pictures throughout the book were an unexpected breath of fresh air. A must read for young
Curtis Berry
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Today I finished reading Deception Peak, by Dianne Gardner. A very engaging story about a father and his son who enter a fantasy world through a computer-generated portal. The detail with which the world was painted, and the depth of the characters, drew me right into the story. For me, the book served as a great beginning to what should be an exciting series.
Lauren
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted a copy of this book by fbe author. Ian had no idea returning home from school that his computer would turn into a portal. This is a great read about a journey a father and son take together. Great quick read!
Lisa Marie Main
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book, the way I felt like I was being moved in and out of different worlds or realms was awesome, had me not wanting to put the book down. So much discription and I felt like I was right there with them in this adventure..Can't wait for another one....Awesome JOB....
Taylor Lakke
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in one seating. Couldn't put the book down once I started reading this. WOW! Dianne Gardner uses exceptional craft in the writing of this book. She has woven many stories into this one with such wisdom. Can't wait for the next one.
Colonel Acula
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You can read my full review here :) http://deceptionpeakreview.blogspot.c... ...more
Carol Caldwell
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a wonderful story about how good and evil are lived out in our lives. Evil can capture us without our knowledge or consent and we can defend it's lifestyle, thinking we are good people.
Lyneen
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down... loved the characters. If I had young adults I would definitely get this book for them to read... this may be the next Harry Potter!!!
Steve Pearce
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, hard to put down book! You don't have to be a young adult to enjoy this.
Rayleigh
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember really liking this book when I read it! It was entertaining and thrilling!
Michael Long
Deception Peak is a fantasy about a boy named Ian and his father Alex who stumble into a magical realm via a portal opened from their computer. Once there, they learn of a world terrorized by a dragon and populated by a group of Dragon worshippers, and another group (Kaemperns) who hate the dragon and the other people too.

I realize this book is for very young YA (age 11 or so), but I am still judging it by its quality. And for that, I would say it is pretty mediocre. This is a classic fantasy wh
Autumn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author to give an honest review.

This is a great book that I honestly would have my son read when he gets older and can understand the book. Being as he is six he would probably look at me crazy and wonder why there are no pictures of the dragon lol. That being said I would recommend this book to younger kids, as there is an adventure written within this book that they may enjoy.

I had a problem with Ian being rude to Abbi ( I may have miss spelled her name as my kind
Herika Raymer
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what you would do if you could visit another Realm with just a click? What you think and what happens to Alex and Ian Wilson are undoubtedly two different scenarios.

Widower Alex Wilson is left to raise his brilliant son, Ian, alone. Concentrating on their work, Alex and Ian live in a world pretty much all their own. A world which is a mixture of medieval and digital, and the two collide while father and son are working on a new program. A program which enables them to visit another r
Regine Claire
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a teen is tough – especially when you’re caught up in a world you know nothing about while your dad’s lost somewhere. The challenge of school and every day life will never be the same.

I’ve been excited to read Ian’s story since I first heard about his characters and “Deception Peak” did not disappoint. The story is adventurous and a pleasure to read, painting very real images with both words and beautiful visual art created by the author. I absolutely adore stories that pull you into a cha
Leslie and Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Violence/Romance: Both are present, but nothing is that graphic. Various characters have relationships with the opposite gender, some more intense than others--but nothing gets out of hand. There is a dragon which shoots fireballs. Characters get injured, occasionally severely. They also get knocked out on a few occasions. The dragon creates visions to lead people astray, and those scenes can be a little spooky (at least to me).

Spirituality: Ian stays with a group of people called the Meneks fo
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it

I think it was fate reading this book. I saw it twice around, and then it was available for tour, it was like screaming "read me!". I'm so happy i did!

You know you are about to read a good book, when the first words you are "The dragon"...okay kidding. Still, the books starts in an entirely exciting and mysterious dream and you know you won't put the book down if you don't finish it. It's a story every gamer would love. Who doesn't want to get into a game right? And that is a big reason
Timmain
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book through First Reads, so first a thank you to the author for the opportunity to read her work. Deception Peak is a fantasy adventure story that introduces us to Ian Wilson and the alternate realm that he and his father discover within their computer game. The plot takes us through their discovery of the Realm, their initial explorations and ultimately to the mountain itself, Deception Peak. It is here that their paths split and Ian is forced to deal with his capture by the peoples ...more
Richard Hardie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Richard by: The author
Deception Peak is not just another Rite of Passage book. Dianne Lynn Gardner has cleverly woven the trauma that a young boy seperated from his father and confronted with a strange world, very strange people and even stranger animals. The and inter-dimensional travelling are well handled and become an integral part of the overall story. How Ian Wilson copes in his new environment and the learning curve he goes through makes the story more than just an adventure and makes Ian a very real character ...more
Master Koda Selec...: Favorite Characters Traits-Male 1 3 Jan 05, 2015 05:51AM
The Tale of the Four Wizards add to Ian's Realm. 1 3 Nov 24, 2012 07:16PM
Free Book Giveaway: YA Fantasy give away 1 5 Oct 15, 2012 06:15AM

• Othello
  • Julius Caesar
  • Sonny's Blues
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan, #1)
Dianne Lynn Gardner writes under the name of D.L. Gardner.

Ian's Realm Saga (5 books)
  • Dragon Shield (Ian's Realm Saga, #2)
  • Rubies and Robbers (Ian's Realm Saga, #3)
  • Diary of a Conjurer (Ian's Realm Saga, #4)
  • Cassandra's Castle (Ian's Realm Saga, #5)