Start by marking “Shifting Pride” as Want to Read:
Shifting Pride

Shifting Pride

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  100 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Nickie Leone has proof that her missing (presumed dead) father is still alive. Receiving his watch in the mail is the first in a line of clues bringing her closer to discovering his whereabouts. But clues aren’t the only new thing in Nickie’s life. There’s the Memorial Banquet her mother insists she help prepare for, there’s the new kid/hottie, Xavian, and ...more
ebook
Published November 2012 by Etopia Press

To ask other readers questions about Shifting Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shifting Pride

Karen Bynum
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read the novella prequel (New Pride by Laura Diamond) and absolutely loved it! Laura's gift for writing the young adult voice is amazing! So I couldn't wait to start Shifting Pride. This full-length young adult novel was a fun, fast-paced read with a mystery element weaved in. As much as I love plot, for me, I want to connect to the characters on a deep emotional level, and Laura definitely delivers!

The heroine, Nickie, is so sassy and kick-ass. Yet, she has this authentic, teen personality. D
Kerry  sullivan
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, shifter, ya
This book was reviewed for Musings of a bookworm

I was really impressed with this book, I was expecting an insipid story that was predictable and that is not what I got. It was billed as if you like twilight your like this and I think this sells the story short as it is a complex and exciting story with a credible love story mixed in. This really a story about a girls fight to find her missing father and it pulls you right in from the very first page. This might be written for the young adult ma
Rachel
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Shifting Pride. From reading the book description I knew I was going to like it from the start.
Nickie’s father had gone missing a year ago and although people thought he was dead she knew he was alive and wanted to get proof so people would believe her.
Xavian moved into the neighbourhood and he was always there when something happened, when Nickie was threatened in some way. Pretty much like an annoying Guardian Angel (in Nickie’s eyes).
Nickie started getting cravings for tuna
Antonia van Zandt
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. Right from page one, I was hooked by the characters and the storyline. Nickie is on a mission to find her father, even though no one but her believes he is still alive. What she discovered about herself, her father and her new found gorgeous friend, kept me glued to the page so much so, I read it all in one sitting. Laura Diamond is a real find and I shall look forward to catching up and reading more of her super stories.
Lynn Rush
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Great read. Review to come.
Buffy Kennedy
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty fun YA read. The mystery throughout the beginning was kind of creepy and unnerving in some ways, and would be tough to take for a sixteen year old still struggling without her father. The mystery felt a little drawn out when parts of it were a little predictable, but it didn’t detract from the story.

It took me a bit to get a read on Xavian, but never really felt he’d be a bad guy, so I occasionally wanted to knock a little sense into Nickie for being so harsh and overreacting
Phaedra Seabolt
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a pleasant change of pace for me. I love cats and so far have loved any werecat shifter book I have picked up. This particular story took me about eight hours to read. In the beginning you may be a little confused, but the main character Nickie is very confused. You get pieces of the puzzle fast enough to realize that Nickie is not ordinary and perhaps the people she surrounds herself with are not normal either. Her dad is missing, a new boy moves to the neighborhood whom is drivin ...more
Catherine
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and I was sad when I read the last words. Diamond has created such an interesting world, complete with complex pack politics and an engaging mystery, and nestled it so neatly within our own. I feel like I could walk out my door and find a new shifter friend, or enemy. What I appreciated most about Shifting Pride is the care Diamond takes in interspersing shifter info and lore into the story, be it with a book Nickie finds or folklore other shifters share with her. Diamond is ...more
Dani Sue
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is Young Adult, I really enjoyed reading it. I'm 32 and I didn't feel like I was reading something written for a younger audience. I was immediately pulled into the story from the first chapter...and it's just keeps getting more exciting with each chapter. A book is really good when I feel anxious reading it because it means I'm totally enthralled and anxious to see the outcome. I personally love stories about mythical and mystical creatures...so shape shifting panthers wer ...more
Susan
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Laura pens "Shifting Pride" in a well developed plot that will keep you turning the pages with her characters that are interesting and likeable. Surprisingly there was no cliffhanger even though there is a sequel to this book, "New Pride", which I can't wait to read. Highly recommended for all (YA and not so YA) who love werecats, mystery, adventure and suspense thrown in to a nice love story.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Anne Michaud
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's impossible to not get into this novel: Nickie's voice becomes your own and her struggles of turning into something else leaves you breathless - and then there's the sexiness that is Xavian. A cool take on shapeshifters as we experience it firsthand ♥ highly recommended ♥
Catherine Johnson
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm already a huge fan of The Mercy Falls trilogy about wolf shape shifters so I was keen to read another shape shifter novel and I loved the different style and characterisation. Awesome read! Congrats Laura!
Vicki
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I stayed up late last night to finish, so that says a lot! Definitely an exciting page-turner.
Michael Offutt
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Shifting Pride" is a coming of age young adult novel where instead of finding herself, Nicki learns that she's a werecat. But she isn't just any werecat...she's the daughter of a really powerful one whose been missing for a year to hide out from the despicable Derek (the leader of the local cat pride). And really what makes Derek so despicable is he's an old guy with the whole saggy skin and face-licking fetish that likes young girls similar to that FLDS Prophet Warren Jeffs. He's in a similar ...more
Pixie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indies
You can also see my reviews at The Bookaholic

I don’t normally read a lot about shifters, more specifically any type of werewolf or wolf-type creature usually, because to be bluntly honest about it I’m just not a big fan of the supernatural being in most cases. I’ve had rare instances of picking up a few books here and there that have involved shifters or werewolves and have actually enjoyed them, but as I said, it’s rare. A good ninety-percent of the time, those reads end in disaster so I tend t
E.C. Newman
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romantic, teen
FUN.

That's the one adjective I can use that covers this entire story. It was so much fun. Yes, there is danger and intrigue. Yes, who should Nickie believe? Yes, occasionally I wanted to scream at everyone else just like Nickie did, but really, This Was Fun.

I don't think I get to say that about a love of YA novels. Our heroine, Nickie (a drama kid which I totally relate to) is so normal and fun and strong and just real. She misses her dad (who disappeared almost a year ago), but doesn't give way
Ashley Torbeck
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nickie might think she's a normal teenage girl, but the building evidence in the first few chapters of Shifting Pride lead to the revelation of a world within our own that is both terrifying and exhilarating. And Nickie gets dragged right into the middle of it all. Before long, the fur is flying and Nickie is fighting for her life and on the hunt for the father everyone else thought was dead.

I have to admit, I really liked this book. The tension throughout the story kept building and building,
Buffy Kennedy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty fun YA read. The mystery throughout the beginning was kind of creepy and unnerving in some ways, and would be tough to take for a sixteen year old still struggling without her father. The mystery felt a little drawn out when parts of it were a little predictable, but it didn 19t detract from the story.

It took me a bit to get a read on Xavian, but never really felt he 19d be a bad guy, so I occasionally wanted to knock a little sense into Nickie for being so harsh and overreact
Erin Danzer
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down! Even to the point that I woke up in the middle of the night and read for an hour just to see what happened next!

Laura Diamond created a beautifully crafted story about cat shape-shifters. I fell in love with her story after reading NEW PRIDE, but SHIFTING PRIDE made me fall in love with her writing. The story grabs your attention from the beginning and doesn't let go until the very end. Fraught with danger, romance, action, adventure and even
Angela Brown
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shifting Pride by Laura Diamond is not a story for the romantically challenged. And set aside any thoughts that werewolves rule the shifting sector. These cats step up to the plate and knock this one out.

To keep this from being spoilerish, I'll refrain from referring to certain scenes, but I'll just say that Laura knows how to deliver a kissing scene that gives the imagination plenty to work with. There are several scenes to enjoy.

The star ranking is a subjective matter that I can definitely und
Jen
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book through Twitter. Ever since reading about shapeshifters in the Sookie Stackhouse series, I've avoided them like the plague, but decided to give this one the chance. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Nickie is a likable character and not clingy or all into the new guy the way a lot of heroines can sometimes be. In fact, she is always angry with Xavian at first. The banter between them was a lot of fun and kept the story interesting.

I love how we were able to watch Nickie slow
Kerri Cuevas
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Loved this story! It’s been a while since I read a great shifter story. The main character, Nickie is ambitious and spunky. I love her determination, and loyalty to her family. The relationships were true, and the story had me flipping through the pages to see what happened next. Shifting Pride has just the right amount of romance (with the yummy Xavian), and adventure. I look forward to reading more stories from Laura Diamond.
Beverly
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to have the chance to read a YA shifter story.

The characters are well created and easy to invest in. The storyline is mysterious and intriguing. The relationships are complicated and interesting.

Well worth the read. Can't wait to read New Pride next.
Lburt
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: weres
I liked it, I didn't love it. I'm can't put my finger quite on way. The only thing that pops to mind is how easy it seemed for the group to break out of Derek's prison. The beginning was a bit slow as well. But like I said I did like the book.
Danielle
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
so this book was adorable and I loved it very much!
Bodea
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm kind of surprised by the high rating. Full review to come.
Helena Fili
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I first thought I would.

Full review's coming soon.
M.R. Polish
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Great and unique.
Jen Rattie
Dec 19, 2012
Krystal Frost
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Cascade Brides (Cascade Brides #1-3)
  • Return of the Dragon Riders (Dragon Stone Saga #2)
  • Grace Doll
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Legend Unleashed (Keeping Secrets, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish (Tennessee Waltz, #1)
  • Starseed
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • Death and Kisses
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • To Love or Die in a Steamy-Reamy World
  • The Stone Guardian
  • Max Xylander and the Island of Zumuruud
Laura Diamond is a board certified psychiatrist currently specializing in emergency psychiatry. She is also an author of all things young adult—both contemporary and paranormal. An avid fan of sci-fi, fantasy, and anything magical, she thrives on quirk, her lucid dreams, and coffee. When she’s not working or writing, she can be found sniffing books and drinking a latte at the bookstore or at home ...more