Start by marking “Turtles All the Way Down” as Want to Read:
Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  147,295 Ratings  ·  21,829 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to b ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Turtles All the Way Down, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chelsea
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
“You’re deflecting.” I just stared at her. “You’re right that self isn’t simple, Aza. Maybe it’s not even singular. Self is a plurality, but pluralities can also be integrated, right? Think of a rainbow. It’s one arc of light, but also seven differently colored arcs of light.”

This is difficult to rate. Looking back, there were definitely certain aspects that I thought were done well, but I just didn't enjoy either the story or the uber-philosophical writing. Given that I consider three stars t
Ariel
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I’ve been having a bad run with YA lately. I’ve loved it for so long that I persevere on, remembering that there are gems, that there are treasures, but increasingly I’ve found myself worried - have I grown out of it? Have I overdone it? Each novel seems to be repeating some unspoken pattern, or at least trying to make something new out of the same ingredients. It was with trepidation, then, that I wandered in to Turtles All The Way Down, thinking “yes, I’ve liked John Green books in the past, b ...more
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)

Plot: 4.5 stars
Originality: 4 stars
(all out of 5 stars)

The Long
It's hard to believe I just read a new John Green (JG from now on) book. My mind can't really wrap around that. (Especially given where I was 5 years ago, not even knowing BookTube existed, now I can't imagine my life without BookTube and being Hailey in Bookland). But it was a pleasure to read his writing again. He is extremely talented. I was super nervous
Zoë
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I just finished this book, I already know it's one that will stick with me for years to come. I can't fully express how cathartic this book was. I finally saw parts of myself represented in a novel - the parts that I was ashamed of and pretended didn't exist. This is by far my favorite John Green novel. I can't say much more about this because I'm still sobbing over it. Just read it, please.
Hannah
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My review is now up if you’d like to watch: https://youtu.be/T3t7Fhh2oiM

I’m speechless. It’s stunning.
Becca
Oct 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Let us play a little game called "What could this book possibly about?"
First off, we can argue a bit about the setting. His early work would suggest that he prefers warm places, but over the years he has slowly migrated to the Midwest.We can assume that this time it will be set on the sun, for the conditions are best for cultivating our feels, and destroying our hope.

Next, we can examine the characters. They must be the perfect combination of witty, socially awkward, beautiful, and of course, bu
emma

actual review to come

-----------
PRE-REVIEW

NOTE: i know what "turtles all the way down" means, i know that the spiral holds significance, and i know that this cover is still full-on ugly. please do not feel obligated to explain to me the wonderful intricacies i am missing. the only thing i am missing is my vision, because this cover is so ugly it blinded me

-----------
yes i am already biased against john green, but can we agree that this cover is straight up UGLY???

and also:

(i borrowed my sister'
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not gonna lie, I’m tempted to flip right back to page 1 and read the book again. THAT NEVER HAPPENS TO ME.
Emma Giordano
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS I REALLY REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK.
If I leave this review blank for now, I may force myself to film a video review (which I really want to do!) hahah
C.G. Drews
This was ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT and also gave me an existential crisis so thanks for that. I'm actually floored by how good it was. I mean, I haven't read a "new" John Green novel in forever, but this is worth the wait. I wasn't actually nervous going in. It's about mental health (#OWNVOICES I REMIND YOU) and missing persons and smol sad rich boys and everything about this just shouts that it's my kind of novel. It really really hit home so hard for me. I loved it.

OK note on the title: I see a lot
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
2 Stars...and that's me being generous.

This book was, well...not good.

description

I went into this with somewhat high hopes.

I knew it was about a girl with anxiety issues and - as someone who struggled with a lot of anxiety as a hormone-ridden, depressed teen who lost a parent at a young age myself, (much like Aza) I expected to really connect with this story.

At least on some level.

One reviewer I follow even ranked this as her top read of 2017. Said it was "life changing."

LIFE CHANGING.

To each their own
Angelica
Rating 3.5

“Spirals grow infinitely small the farther you follow them inward, but they also grow infinitely large the farther you follow them out.”

Well, this is awkward.

I went into this thinking I wouldn’t like it. Heck, I went into it pretty much expecting to dislike. And yes, I know that’s a horrible thing to say, and a terrible reason to read a book, but come on, you can hardly blame me.

I hated The Fault in Our Stars, with all of its extremely pretentious characters (although I did cry a
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
"You're a we. You're a you. You're a she, an it, a they. My kingdom for an I."

I hate when I have a middle of the road review to write; I like to feel passionately about a book one way or another, and I almost feel it is easier to share my feelings on a book that is a 1-2 star than any of the 3 stars that come along. I feel at a loss for words to describe my experience while reading this book; I've seen multiple reviews state they felt Turtles All the Way Down wasn't even on the same level as The
Warda
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edit: Well, I cannot stop thinking about this book, and it's been a few weeks, so that deserves me upping my rating to 5 stars. It has resonated with me more than I thought it would.

“Your now is not your forever.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Wow. This book was stunning. Hard to read (trigger warnings for OCD and anxiety), but Jesus, did it feel healing at the same time.

John Green wrote the shit out of this book. The way mental health was portrayed through Aza was excruciating, harro
Hannah Greendale
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

Turtles All the Way Down is quintessential John Green - exceedingly eloquent teens with advanced vocabularies ponder existential questions - but, much like its protagonist, the book suffers from a confused sense of identity, trying to be too many things at once. It subsequently lacks focus and offers weak emotional impact.
Maria
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.4/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”

GUYS GUYS! I FEEL THE FEELS I FEEL THEM! GUYS!

This book this FUCKING BOOK. I devoured it in under a day! I couldn't leave it down even though I had studying to do. I was there, with Aza, feeling what she was feeling, understanding even though I don't suffer from it, wanting to "heal" her even though I know I couldn't. Thi
Claudia Ramírez
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
"Anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.”
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
bf: *gets me a book*
bf: *picks this one because there's 'turtles' in the title*

____________________________________

No one ever says goodbye unless they want to see you again.

I must admit that never in a million years, would have expected to find myself in a situation like this, one where I'd end up completely put off guard by a book I'd never even considered reading in the first place.
I'm not a huge John Green fan. I've read his previous works and, even if I didn't completely despise them, the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought I would fall in love with this book but I just didn't. 😕

Now I give all of the stars to Aza, Davis and Noah.

I loved Aza so much and as I have mental disorders I can totally relate to her. She's a wonderful character.

Davis is her boy ish friend and he's awesome too. Noah is his brother. They are totally rich and their father is missing. So this is about finding each other and finding a missing father. A few other things thrown into the mix.

I think what kept this from being a 5 star wa
Kai
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018

I went into this with a bowl full of low expectations but with a side of high expectations. And it tasted good.

It's been a while since John wrote a book. The first John Green book I ever read was TFIOS, which I loved. During the time that passed until the release of Turtles All the Way Down I caught up with most of his other books, apart fro
Nat
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“If only I were as good at life as I am at the internet.”

description
I was so overly eager for any new John Green book related content that I made the mistake of reading the excerpt shared on Buzzfeed last month. I say mistake because when I opened up the book weeks after having read the first two chapters, I only had this vague recollection that certainly wouldn't help to continue from where I'd started. Rereading was key.

To give you a bit more background on why I was so eager: Back in 2014, John Green was
Felicity Jackson (gowithflick)
100/10. Everybody READ THIS BOOK.
Cait • A Page with a View
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary-ya
"...we were looking at the same sky together, which is maybe more intimate than eye contact anyway. Anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.

3.5 stars. I haven't been the biggest fan of John Green's stories in the past because I found the characters to be too unrelatable. Like they were just trying too hard at times? But Aza's character felt super realistic and I am so impressed right now. This was honestly one of the best depictions of anxiety o
Sara➽[semi-hiatus] (Ink Is My Sword)
1.5 “John Green is definitely a miss for me” Stars

“Reading someone’s poetry is like seeing them naked”

UHU. I just bumped to 2 stars because I am reading a 1-star book right now and this is not at that level. I can truly appreciate the OCD representation in Aza so yeah let's leave it at 1.5 near 2.

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED.

My problem was expectations. I thought I would relate, I didn’t. My problem was feeling. I thought I would feel, I couldn't.

JG fans please don't throw tomatoes at me. Altho
may ❀
I don’t have a very good relationship with John Green books, they are CLEARLY hit or miss for me (hit: TFIOS) (miss: Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns, Let it Snow, Will Grayson x2) YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE MY DILEMMA IN PICKING UP THIS BOOK

But I was pleasantly surprised

description

So Turtles all the way down did have the john green elements i.e.
- Mental health rep
- Tragic characters with tragic backstories
- 16 year old philosophers (it wasn’t so bad in this book)
- Hilarious best friends
- The ending that l
Larry H
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
From the outside looking in, Aza seems to have it all. She's smart and sensitive, and she tries hard to be a good daughter, a good student, and a good friend. But life for Aza isn't what it appears: she struggles every day with invasive thoughts, thoughts which at times leave her unable to focus on nothing but the fear and anxiety they cause.

"It's so weird, to know you're crazy and not be able to do anything about it, you know? It's not like you believe yourself to be normal. You know there is a
Matthew
This book was a fun audiobook experience as my wife and I listened to about 45 minutes of it together every night. I think this is a great activity for book loving spouses!

Partway through this book I thought I was going to give it an "okay, but didn't really blow me away" 3 stars. However, I think that the last 3rd of the book really brought things together in an interesting way.

At first, the book seemed like it was trying to be too many things at once. Click here for a video from my Goodreads
✨    jamieson   ✨
“It's turtles all the way fucking down, Holmesy. You're trying to find the turtle at the bottom of the pile, but that's not how it works."

"Because it's turtles all the way down," I said again, feeling something akin to a spiritual revelation.”

my relationship with john green is hit and miss and whether our relationship would end or continue all hinged on this book. folks, I'm pleased to say he's not cancelled yet.

Honestly, this book almost didn't feel like John Green. It does have staple John
Christy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!!

John Green is one of those authors that always brings the feels. Turtles All the Way Down is a book about mental illness, it’s a book about the power of lifelong friendship, and there is a bit of romance thrown in the mix (though not much).
“I would always be like this, always have this within me. There was no beating it. I would never slay the dragon, because the dragon was also me. My self and the disease were knotted together for life.”
Aza’s story isn’t the easiest to read, and
Mohammed Arabey
A bad story, from a very 'rich' life.
Eh, What Life but Bad Stories All The Way Down!

هي قصة سيئة للغاية،'متفلسفة' كعادة روايات جون جرين الوجودية..لكنها جزء من حياة ثرية للغاية

ليست حياة ذلك الثري الذي يهرب ويترك امواله ل'سحلية' لتكتشف سر الحياة
بل هي حياة عزة هولمز، مريضة بمرض خطير..أضطراب الوسواس القهري
تسيطر عليها افكارها الصغيرة..ولكن ستشعر بان افكار جون جرين نفسه هي المتحكمة بها

Best thing here is Aza Holmes, her life, her unforgettable OCD Narrative. I loved it even felt like I've caught some.
"
  • Untitled
  • #girlnovel
  • The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth
  • Fall Boys & Dizzy in Paradise
  • Bridge of Clay
  • Untitled (The Wicked Powers, #1)
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Twilight of the Gods
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Gem & Dixie
  • When I Wake
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Journey's End

John Green's first novel, Looking for Alaska, won the 2006 Michael L. Printz Award presented by the American Library Association. His second novel, An Abundance of Katherines, was a 2007 Michael L. Printz Award Honor Book and a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize. His next novel, Paper Towns, is a New
More about John Green

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
“Your now is not your forever.” 829 likes
“We never really talked much or even looked at each other, but it didn't matter because we were looking at the same sky together, which is maybe even more intimate than eye contact anyway. I mean, anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.” 635 likes