Start by marking “Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)

Masked Ball at Broxley Manor

(Royal Spyness 0.5)

A delectable prequel to the national bestselling Royal Spyness mysteries featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch—thirty forth in line to the throne, and England’s poorest heiress.

At the end of her first unsuccessful season out in society, Lady Georgiana has all but given up on attracting a suitable man—until she receives an invitation to a masked Halloween ball at Broxley Manor.
Published October 2nd 2012 by Berkley (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Masked Ball at Broxley Manor, please sign up.
Heidi This was published between book 5 & 6. That's when I read it. I don't think you would enjoy the significance of certain characters unless you are…moreThis was published between book 5 & 6. That's when I read it. I don't think you would enjoy the significance of certain characters unless you are already familiar with them. I think it's better to read it after the 4th or 5th book.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle yes, in their first meeting in book one, at the lion pub.

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This was a decent little story that I picked up as an audible freebie some time ago. There really wasn't much of a mystery until the end of the story but the descriptions of the ball were interesting enough. The voices that were used for a couple of the characters did get on my nerves but those characters were not featured enough for it to be a huge deal.

I did like the main character and plan to continue with the series.
Yvonne
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Lady Georgiana Rannoch is invited to a Halloween ball at Broxley Manor, her family cannot understand why. It’s not long before she finds out that the royal family plans to see her marry a foreign prince.

At the masked ball Georgie dances with the prince, who is dressed as the devil, and finds herself attracted to him. As soon as the unmasking begins, Georgie’s devil vanishes. Then, bedlam breaks out at the ball. Georgie can’t help but wonder what is really going on at Broxley Manor.

I haven’t
Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Lady Georgiana is always such fun! And Katie Kellgren does such a great job narrating this small audiobook.

Loved the addition of historical characters - Wallis Simpson, Prince Edward (Davy), Queen Mary...

Reminds me I need to get caught up in the rest of this wonderful series!
✨Susan✨
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic novella for Halloween. I always love the spunky story's of Lady Georgiana's (34th to the crown) adventures. She is a wonderfully down to earth young woman, who at the most inappropriate times becomes quite clumsy. In this Halloween romp she is summoned to attend a costume ball where a secret plot to fix her up is at hand. A mysterious masked stranger, a murder attempt, a great explosion, a very inappropriate advance and a bit of history make this another great addition to "The Royal ...more
Bart
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.50
Anastasia
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor by Rhys Bowen is a short prequel to the Royal Spyness series. Lady Georgiana Rannoch is invited to a Halloween Ball at Broxley Manor in an attempt to have her marry a foreign prince. Not really much of a mystery, apart from an attempted murder and an explosion. Entertaining but very short.
Ian
What Ho old beans! Here's the prequel to the Royal Spyness series.

It is October 1929 and Lady Georgiana Rannoch (Georgie to her friends) is 19 years old and has just finished her season without snaring a husband. She and her family are staying at their London residence Rannoch House, when Georgie receives not one, but two invitations. The first is to a masked ball at Broxley Manor where the elite set gather, like her cousin David (Edward VIII), and the second is an invite from the Queen, which h
Rhi
This is a very short trip into the life of Georgie, our beloved royal, at the very beginning of the Depression and before the events of the Her Royal Spyness series. She's living in London with Binky and the venomous Fig, and her unsuccessful debutante season has come to a close. In typical manipulative fashion, HM attempts to set Georgie up with a Prussian prince by sending her off to a Halloween masked ball where she not only confronts a house-full of guests expecting her to do the done thing, ...more
Melissa
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a short novella intro to the Her Royal Spyness Mysteries series. It's a society masquerade ball full of interesting characters, intertwining real life royals from the 1930s with fictional characters. Once again, Katherine Kellgren does an AMAZING job narrating this story. There is not a lot of substance to the plot here, but it does introduce the wonderful Darcy, so it was worth a listen just for that. I'm not usually a fan of short stories and novellas, but this one manages to tell ...more
Jan
This is a novella that predates the "Her Royal Spyness" mystery series. I listened to the audible.com version and enjoyed Katherine Kellgren's many voices and accents.
Tracy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute short story which is actually a prequel to the whole series. It's fun and enjoyable!
Jaylia3
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you’ve enjoyed the misadventures of impoverished royal (thirty fourth in-line to the throne) Lady Georgiana in the Her Royal Spyness series, you’ll probably also enjoy this short story prequel. It provides background information that will be interesting to fans, including how Lady Georgiana met enigmatic love interest Darcy, but it’s light on plot, characterization and suspense so if you haven’t yet read anything else in the Her Royal Spyness series, this isn’t the place to start. It’s curren ...more
Hannah
Masked Ball at Broxley Manor is a fun little short story prequel to Lady Georgiana's adventures in the Royal Spyness series, where fans are finally told the story of Georgie and Darcy's first (fateful?) meeting at a Halloween ball.

People who have read the first book, Her Royal Spyness, would remember that Darcy (view spoiler). At the time the incident was never explained and I wondered whe
Mo
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This was ok. It didn't really add all that much to Lady Georgiana's story, but was fine as an introduction to the series.

Short stories usually feel very rushed to me, and this was no exception. It almost felt like an abridged version of Royal Blood, the 4th book in the series.

I've already read the first 5 books in this series, and I prefer the longer stories. However, please note that the author tends to be repetitive, so I wouldn't recommend reading this series of books one right after the othe
Debra
A fun short story prequel to Rhys Bowen's also fun Lady Georgiana caper/mystery series. Probably most of interest to those who already know the major players.

Audible offered this as a 2014 Halloween free read so I downloaded it. I still did enjoy Rhys Bowen's story, but again really, really hated Katherine Kellgren's narration. Just so over the top. Thank heavens it was free.
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e, cosy-mystery
A very short prequel to the series "Her Royal Spyness", which I have already read. Since this does nothing more than introduce the main characters, with no real story to mention, it was all rather pointless, for me at any rate.
Selah Pike
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable little entry in the Her Royal Spyness series. I love the little glimpses of real history that Bowen weaves into her stories.
Denise
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Short and sweet. I haven't read any of the books in this series yet, but this was a fun prequel and piqued my interest enough to try book 1.
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
A mildly entertaining and cute prequel short story to this series. Listened to it on audio, OF COURSE, because Katherine Kellgren.
Balthazaar
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Lovely novella to kick off the series, which just gets better and better.
Lori McD
A prequel to the series, this yummy little story tells the tale of Georgie's invitation to the palace to meet Prince Otto, a Prussian 2nd cousin that their majesties think might be a good match for her. It's set in 1929, the year of 19 year old Georgie's "coming out"/debut. It's the fall of that Season, and while successful in many ways, Georgie's not engaged, much to the chagrin of her sister-in-law, Fig.

Georgie IS, however, invited to the palace to have tea with the Queen. She's 34th in line f
Hannah

This was a short, enjoyable little story introducing Lady Georgianna Rannoch. I'd recommend reading book one first and then going back to this one, but it could stand alone pretty well, too. I always enjoy Bowen's mysteries, and while this doesn't focus so much on the mystery itself, it's a pleasant quick read.
Julie P
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though I read this in November 2013, I received a free copy via Audible of the audiobook. Katherine Kellgren is a fabulous narrator, and I love how she sounds when narrating Her Royal Spyness novels. Great stuff, and I enjoy listening to them over and over.
Jaq Greenspon
This is a novella-length introduction to the Royal Spyness books. They're a fun read, and the characters are delightful. As this was written after the initial books in the series, there are set-ups and callbacks to things which will happen in the future.
MissSusie
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, audio, audible-books
Really fun prequel to the Royal Spyness Series!
Katie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute, a lovely addition to the series!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This (very short) prequel to the Royal Spyness series is quite boring and not very entertaining compared to other instalments in the series. Not really worth reading.
Poonam
A very quick read outlining the first meet between darcy and georgie.
Susan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a prequel novelette about Georgia before she becomes a royal "spy." She has just finished her first season without finding a suitable husband, much to the dismay of her brother Binky and especially his wife Fig. When she is invited to a Halloween ball at the Manor, she begins to suspect that the royal family is planning to marry her off to a foreign prince. At the ball, a man dressed as a devil (which she was told was the prince's costume) rescues her from an embarrassing situation, and ...more
DOM 2 17 Mar 17, 2014 04:09PM

• Star of the East (Lady Emily, #9.5)
  • Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)
  • A Pressing Engagement (Lady Darby Mystery, #4.5)
  • Imperial Scandal
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • The Garden Intrigue (Pink Carnation, #9)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • The Maharani's Pearls (Bess Crawford, #6.5)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I have recently published two internationally bestselling WWII novels, one of them a #1 Kindle bestseller, the other selling almost half a million copies to date.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in th

Royal Spyness (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4)
  • Naughty in Nice (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Queen of Hearts (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #8)
  • Malice at the Palace (Her Royal Spyness, #9)
  • Crowned and Dangerous (Her Royal Spyness, #10)