Start by marking “Gods of Risk (The Expanse, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Gods of Risk (The Expanse, #2.5)

Gods of Risk (The Expanse #2.5)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  8,117 Ratings  ·  505 Reviews
As tension between Mars and Earth mounts, and terrorism plagues the Martian city of Londres Nova, sixteen-year-old David Draper is fighting his own lonely war. A gifted chemist vying for a place at the university, David leads a secret life as a manufacturer for a ruthless drug dealer. When his friend Leelee goes missing, leaving signs of the dealer's involvement, David tak ...more
Published September 15th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gods of Risk, please sign up.
Maryann Fläsch It is just filler as it isn't totally connected to the global plot of the protomolecule but it gives some insight into the unchanging state of…moreIt is just filler as it isn't totally connected to the global plot of the protomolecule but it gives some insight into the unchanging state of humanity and how even if you put people on another planet, you'll never eliminate addiction, crime, mental illness, abuse, poverty and all the other treatable conditions of humanity unless we had a drastic shift from the "don't judge my lifestyle choice" culture to one where unhealthy acting out and the intergenerational transmission of trauma is no longer tolerated and treated like the mental health pandemic that it is.

To me, this story shows that despite leaps and bounds in technological advancement, humanity evolves sociologically just as slowly as ever and it is both depressing in that the reality of malfunctioning brain biology will most likely not be taken seriously for hundreds of years (from today, in the real world) but there will always be a 5% that will carry the other 95% of broken humanity out even to the stars. (less)

Choko
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
*** 3 ***

This is a short story set in the colonized parts of Mars, and is told from the POV of Bobby 's teenage nephew. He is everything every teenager is, most prevalently rules by hormones and obsession with a girl who has shown some interest in him and has a lot of issues. He is smart, very good student, but naive and wants to be a grownup already, acting like a brat with his family and risking his life for the promise of some nookie... This story had very little to do with the overall arc of
Lori
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It's like a really good after school special.
Scott  Hitchcock
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: expanse, sci-fi
3.5*'s

Of all the novellas in this series this one took me the longest to get into. All of the characters were detached and thus it was hard to really connect with them. Even Bobby who I really liked in the last book. At the end it picked up and was a decent read in a great series.
Trish
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fourth novella is a bit different as it's not an "origin story", which means it's not showing events from the past.
Instead, it takes place immediately after book 2. We follow Bobbie (freshly out of the Martian Marines) home to Londres Nova, where she is staying with one of her brothers and his family for now. Thus, we also meet her nephew David, who is a cook - and not in the culinary way. While the situation on Mars gets more and more critical thanks to terrorists blowing structures and p
Becky
"You're a tough guy, but I'm a nightmare wrapped in the apocalypse."

I've slowly but surely been making my way through this series, and I'm loving it. These little side stories do add a little something to the main series, and in this case, that something was a deeper liking of Roberta Draper. I liked her in Caliban's War well enough, but not as much as I wanted to. But now I've had some distance from Caliban's War, and in my mind, she's taken on kind of a mythical badassery, and that, combined
Bradley
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
Decent story on Mars featuring Bobby's nephew and a little of Bobby, too.

It's good for context, worldbuilding, and a bit of a thrill for any of us missing our Breaking Bad... on Mars. :)

It may not be my favorite side-story in the Expanse series, but it's definitely written fun and pulls off a feel-good twist.

Of course, it might have been a bit more appropriate to have it turn into a tragedy. But. Alas. That's how the meth dropped.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[3.5 stars] Probably my least favorite Expanse novella so far (I only have the newest one left. I read them out of order), but I ended up appreciating it more than I thought I would.
Lata
Interesting window into a bit of Mars life, through David’s (Bobbie Draper’s nephew) experiences as a drug dealer’s chemist. David has a good working relationship with the drug dealer and is frustrated by his family, and particularly by Bobbie’s presence in their home, with some odd and possibly embarrassing situation hovering over her. David is also close to getting into a good program in higher education, when he decides to help a young woman who has a relationship of some sort with the drug d ...more
Emily
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story, sci-fi
Well that was anti-climatic and rather "meh". Bobbie is barely in the story and you don't really gain any insight about her. You can safely skip this one and not miss out on anything in the main novels.
Paz R.M.
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you ever wanted to punch a character? Like reeeally punch a fictional character in the face and tell them to shut the fuck up and grow up?
Yeah, that was me. And I know David was a 16 years old angsty teenager, but he might not only be the worst character written in this series so far, this is one of the worst teenager character I've ever read. And guys... I've read my fair share of YA. So that's saying a lot.

This novella does practically nothing to expand (ha-ha, get it? cause the series is
Ashley
"It was like his parents had suddenly realized he wouldn't be there forever, and now their love was like a police state; he couldn't escape it."

David Draper, the sixteen year old nephew of Bobbie Draper, is a self-entitled little piece of shit.

I have very little patience for intelligent children with loving families who live in stable economic situations, and yet they still insist on being angry little assholes. This is David, a gifted chemist who lives on Mars, and who is headed for great thin
Eric
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I’m on record as being a big fan of James S.A. Corey’s (the pen name used by Daniel Abraham (Twitter) and Ty Franck) Expanse series, so I eagerly read the novella GODS OF RISK in advance of their next novel ABADDON’S GATE. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this was the weakest entry in the Expanse series.

GODS OF RISK takes place on Mars when tensions are growing between it and Earth. Bobbie Draper is present in the story, but she is a peripheral character. The protagonist is David Draper, her nephew
Aaron
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A side story that takes place some time after Caliban's War and focuses on David Draper, the nephew of Gunnery Sergeant Bobbie Draper who has just returned from a harrowing mission. David is 15 and one of Mars's bright young chemists, except he has a little drug cooking operation on the side. David increasingly feels his academic and underworld halves colliding and begins making some dangerous choices in order to ensure the safety of those he cares about.

I'm oversimplifying things, but Gods of R
Efka
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
It doesn't matter, if the underworld we speak of is Martian, or Earthian, they both are equally dark, grim and oppressive. But meeting Bobbie one more time still was a pleasure, even though she's more of a support character here, not a protagonist.
William
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A superb back-story from The Expanse series. The author has written back-stories to most of the main characters and events, and each of them is wonderful and insightful. A must-read if you love The Expanse.
Daniel
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Fina prica ali iskreno skoro da ni ne kapiram njenu poentu. Ako izbacimo par sitnica koji je vezuju za Expanse univerz ovo bi moglo biti smesteno u bilo koju knjigu.

Zabavno ali mozete slobodno preskociti.
Tom Mathews
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Expanse series
This novella gives us a great view into GySgt Bobbie Draper, one of my favorite Expanse characters, and her life at home on Mars following the events described in Caliban's War.
James
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another short story from the Orbit Short Fiction line. As with so many of these titles, Orbit haven't yet bothered to make this one available to UK readers – luckily there are always ways around that. Whereas The Butcher of Anderson Station was explaining a part of the back story to Leviathan Wakes ; Gods of Risk is almost totally unrelated to the larger story arcs. Instead we are treated to the tale of Bobbie's, somewhat annoying, nephew. Set on Mars after the events of Caliban's War , Bo ...more
Rusty
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, my obsession with this Expanse universe continues. I continue to watch one of the 14 or so episodes that have already been broadcast almost daily. I’ve seen them all close to half a dozen times.

As such, I’ve been catching up on the novellas that take place between novels. I think I’ve read them all (one more after this one that I’ve yet to review) except maybe for the Butcher of Anderson Station. I’ve not avoided that one on purpose, but as it was interwoven into the fabric of Season 1 of
Jim C
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a short story that is part of a series. The other books before this one must be read before this one. In this one, Bobbie is back home living with her brother and his family. Bobbie's nephew, David, is a "cook" for a local drug lord and he gets into trouble.

I believe this short story isn't vital to the overall arc that takes place in this universe. For the overall story arc it does provide the atmosphere of Mars which we haven't really touched upon so far in this series. As for the chara
Dara
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of the Expanse series, you'll likely enjoy this short story but if you're looking for new insight or more background in the overall story, you'll be left wanting.

David is you're typical angsty teenager. He's involved in cooking drugs. Bobbie Draper is features some in this story but nothing you absolutely need to read. There's nothing new revealed about her character.

2 out of 5 stars.
Maya
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
The authors never write any unimportant details. Hopefully, we'll see David in book eight or nine, playing a vital role.
Nelson
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little novella that dwells on the lives of the average citizens on Mars. It also has an extended cameo by one my favorite characters on The Expanse series, so far.

I liked it :)
David
I almost lowered this novella to 3 stars because I found the protagonist, David Draper, so damned annoying I wanted to smack him.

Another one of the Corey writing duo's "filler" novellas set in between their Expanse novels, this one takes place on Mars shortly after Caliban's War. David Draper is the nephew of Marine Gunnery Sergeant Bobby Draper, one of the main characters in the aforementioned novel. She plays only a small (but significant) part in this novella.

David is a promising and gifted y
Emily
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A short novella set between books two and three of The Expanse series. The main character is David Draper, nephew of Roberta “Bobbie” Draper, the Martian Marine introduced in the previous volume of the series.
David is studying bio-chemistry in school and has gotten himself in a bit of a situation with a local lowlife for whom he “cooks” drugs. His aunt Bobbie is mostly a frustration and interference for him, but her situation with being at loose ends following her dismissal from both her previo
Quintin Zimmermann
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Following the events that took place in Caliban's War, we find ourselves in the company of David Draper, the nephew of Gunny Bobbie Draper, in the Martian city of Londres Nova.

This novella added very little to the cannon of The Expanse and for large portions of the narrative Bobbie is reduced to being a sweatpants clad couch potato watching newsfeeds and lifting weights. A very unflattering treatment of the brave, powerful warrior we enjoyed in Caliban's War.

David is a typical irresponsible 16
Bram
This wasn't really my thing. It provides some backstory for Bobbie Draper, but her actual part in this is only minor and since I didn't connect to the main character, it pretty much falls flat on its bottom for me.

That isn't to say that it's badly written, or not worth your time, it's just not something that stands out for me. This series has proven, so far, to be very good at what it does, and Gods of Risk just doen't do that for me.

3 stars.
Bee
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice little detour into the so far very unexplored recesses of Mars. Following the dubious adventures of Bobby's cousin David. Interesting and insightful
Kathy
The best part was Bobby. And she was only in the story for a small bit. I want to read more of her!
Snowleesi
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I did not care much for the protagonist and his self-entitlement, but I love Bobby Draper and this novella allowed us to find out what life was like for her after the events of Caliban's War. Moreover, this is the first real - and quite detailed - look we get into what life on Mars looks like in this universe, which was very welcome as that aspect of the world has been severely lacking up to this point in chronology. I wouldn't skip this novella specifically for the world-building that it provid ...more
Beyond Reality: Gods of Risk, Expanse #2.5 Short Fiction 4 9 May 15, 2018 08:46PM
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The Dog King (The Human Division, #7)
  • Deep Navigation
  • Night's Slow Poison (Imperial Radch #0.5)
  • Artefact (Lazarus War, #1)
  • The Causal Angel (Jean le Flambeur, #3)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Lucky Thirteen (Frontlines, #2.1)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“You’re a tough guy, but I’m a nightmare wrapped in the apocalypse.” 12 likes
“They don't hate us," Bobbie said, her voice tired. "They're afraid of us."

"Then why do they act like they hate us?" David's father said with something like triumph.

"Because that's what fear looks like when it needs someplace to go.”
2 likes