Start by marking “The Wolf Princess” as Want to Read:
The Wolf Princess

The Wolf Princess

A captivating, atmospheric mystery set in the crystalline winterland of Russia.

Abandoned in a blinding blizzard in the wintry wilds of Russia, Sophie Smith fears for her life. But just like in a fairy tale, a princess comes to her rescue: the beautiful, exotic Anna Volkonskaya. Over a river of ice in a horse-drawn sleigh, she brings Sophie and her friends to a magnificent,
Published October 4th 2012 by Chicken House (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf Princess, please sign up.
Eleanor Sophie is a shy dreamer who doesn't like being in the centre of attention but she is also very stubborn and follows her dreams passionately. She is…moreSophie is a shy dreamer who doesn't like being in the centre of attention but she is also very stubborn and follows her dreams passionately. She is sweet and sensitive and occasionally this is taken advantage of.(less)

Mizuki
1.5 stars. It's a highly forgettable and predicable Middle Grade novel written for an audience of 12 years old or above. The story takes place in Russia but it is as unrealistic as you can get, not to mention those 13 years old girls in the story are as stupid and immature as a five years old kid. I don't hate this book but I'm irritated by how juvenile and unrealistic everything in the book is. What a shame, the book cover is so pretty.
Jen
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Got 126 pages into it and am rolling my eyes at the sheer unbelievableness of it all. The girls are extremely dumb if their "stranger danger" alarms haven't gone off by now. A strange man knowing their names and telling them a princess wants to meet them? The princess being so overjoyed to meet them? Getting incredibly P.O.'d that Sophie hasn't signed the paper? Really? Not one of those things made the girls think that, maybe, something wasn't right? Sophie feeling magically "at home" in Russia? ...more
Azbaqiyah
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
I truly love it! Both of the present and the history of this story.

Most probably I'll reread it again.

And I seriously ship Sophie and Dmitri...

It would be in a dream if there is a book about those two in the future. ƪ(⌣)┐
Leigh Collazo
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

WHAT I LIKED: When I think back to this book months or even years from now, I probably will not remember much about the characters or the plot. For me, the crisp, wintry setting ruled this book. The once-beautiful ice palace that has fallen into disrepair, the lonely white wolves howling in the dark, the gorgeous images of fresh, untrod snow sparkling under a cold winter moon. These are the things I will remember most. Beautiful, haunting, desolate, cold, white,
Angela Young
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cathryn Constable has a rare and extraordinary imagination which will enchant young girls (and much older ones) all over the world. They won't be able to help falling in love with Sophie Smith and the magical, snowy, icy, sparkling, strange and beautiful Russia she finds herself in. The book opens with Sophie's haunting dream memory of her father which sings its way through the story, and the courage Sophie has to muster to conquer the difficulties she faces is convincing and skilfully written. ...more
jv poore
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sophie will steal your heart and will, forevermore, own a tiny piece of it. You’ll be fine with that. Think Annie; although Miss Sophie is as far from the spunky, spiral-curled red-head as a lonely, little phantom Russian girl, could be.

Under the perpetually gray skies of London, tucked into her tiny room with Delphine and Marianne, wrapped in her raggedy sweater, life was just fine for Sophie. With the Class Trip quickly approaching, the inevitability of being ripped from her “home” and ushered
Mihail
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Опитах да бъда позитивно настроен към тази книга, но не мога да пренебрегна големите проблеми, които имах с нея. А те бяха доста. Не мразя тази книга, но не беше много добра.
Allison
Sep 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Klinta
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Although at the beginning this book had some mistakes and unbelievable twists, they seemed to be forgivable. And although it did bother, it didn't stop me from continuing the read.

But once I got to about half, it just turned into such a bad book. It was a complete nonsense and well... кошмар, if we really do need to drop at least one word in Russian in every single chapter.

The story was very predictable and I don't think that there was anything at all that surprised me. The writing wasn't comp
Allison Tebo
Apr 04, 2019 added it
Shelves: fantasy
DNF
kazually
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, owned, twisty-af
an enjoyable read with a twist at the end. set in Russia which was interesting to read about.
Seamaiden
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first time I read the book I wasn't that impressed and I could guess what would happen but I enjoyed it because it left me with a lovely sensation. However reading it a second time made me appreciate this story even more. Yes it is simple as a plot and you know what will happen, but the descriptions are beautiful and you start dreaming of snow, Russia, tea with a teaspoon of jam and wolves running around ready to protect the wolf princess.
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Lala_Loopsie by: my library
I'm not gonna coment on this book, there is nothing i can say. I found it quite predictable...

(view spoiler)
Andrea
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Rowan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Echt een stuk leuker dan ik in het begin had verwacht! Maar pfoe het hoofdpersonage was af en toe niet heel snugger en daar ergerde ik me soms mateloos aan. :p
Binnenkort een uitgebreide recensie op mijn blog!
BooksandBeautyLife
Das Cover finde ich traumhaft schön und macht Lust auf ein verwunschenes und kaltes Wintermärchen.
Wir beginnen unsere Reise in einem Londoner Internat. Dort treffen wir die Waise Sophie welche sich selbst als sehr unscheinbar beschreibt. Sie gibt sich mit wenig zufrieden und ist trotzdem glücklich.
Sie hat Glück und kann mit ihren Freundinnen eine Schulreise nach Russland unternehmen. Sie freut sich auf den Schnee, auf Väterchen Frost und malt sich Russland verwunschen und traumhaft aus.
In St.
Alexia Lazar
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.❤
3 words that describe it: snow, wolves, diamonds.
Jacqueline
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10-14 year old girls or anyone looking for an uplifting story
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
Let's make this clear: I have never been a huge fan of princess stories (particularly the Disney versions). As a result, this book is by it's very nature something that I would not normally read.
Despite that fact, I found it to be an overall cute book. The plot line was extremely predictable and cliche although I don't think that I have yet come across many of these "long lost royalty" type books in a modern setting. I therefore was more than a little confused about the time period to begin wit
Annie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a orphan called Sophie. Before all she wanted was to go to Russia , see the snow and the wild creatures, and start an adventure. When she and her friends suddenly got to go there, Sophie thought her wish had come true. But when they got stranded in the middle of nowhere, and a strange train going the opposite way comes to save them, Sophie is sure they will not go home.....yet.
When I first saw this book, i thought it was some princessly book. But when I opened it and read trou
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book when my friend recommended it to me as one of her favorites. After reading it I can see why. Sophie is a kind and relatable character who continuously is getting her character developed. The backstory on the castle and the people in is is also very developed. My least favorite part of the story would probably be the iconic antagonist for coming out of nowhere and being disrespectful to get what they want. My favorite part of the book would probably be either the peas ...more
Monika
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I detská kniha dokáže zaujať dospelého čitateľa, preto sa takýmto knihám nevyhýbam. Veľmi sa mi páčilo, že príbeh sa odohrával v Rusku a autorka si dala záležať na ruských postavách v tejto knihe. Dala im proste ten správny ruský charakter. Takisto veľmi krásny opis prírody, a všeobecne hocijaký opis od tejto autorky bol skvelý. Avšak rozhovory postáv a samotný predvídateľný dej ma moc nezaujali. Dokonca i hlavná hrdinka si ma vôbec nezískala. Určite ocenia mladšie čitateľky, bol to pekný príbeh ...more
15MorrisL
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A great book with A DARK TWISTED ending
Athena
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I liked it but it is boring and unrealistic at times.
Mari Jaye
Two and a half stars...

This was an okay Audible. The three friends felt a little bit 'cardboard cut out' in their personalities, and Sophie's inability to accept reality - in general and regarding who she really was - became somewhat dragged out. But there were some magical scenes, especially of the Russian winter. And some exciting ones, for example the mysterious Russian women who kept making appearances. But a lot felt pretty cliched, as though it had been done before.

All in all an okay read
May
La princesa de los lobos es una novela juvenil con una edición, cabe a destacar, increíblemente bonita. Sus páginas son lilas por fuera, es tapa dura, tiene muchos adornos en plateado que brillan y una portada preciosa. Su edición sencillamente me llamó tanto la atención que tuve que leer la novela. Y la verdad es que me he encontrado una historia fantasiosa muy original y perfecta si tienes entre doce y quince años.
Empezando por esto, como acabo de comentar, es una novela para adolescentes en
Becky
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Every year at work they run a 'Children's Book of the Year' event - we get given about a dozen books to read then we all get together to discuss them, an author usually appears to do a talk and then we vote for our favourite book. This is the first one I picked up off that list for this year.

I chose this one first because I liked the cover, the pages were purple and it looked pretty - shallow reasons I know, but you have to start somewhere!

Sophie Smith is at a boarding school in London, sent th
Jenny Schwartzberg
I read this as an eARC from NetGalley. I'm still thinking about my reaction to it. It hits a lot of my buttons, i.e. an English orphan girl longing for family, friendship, adventure, travel to Russia, history, with references to the Russian Revolution and pre-revolutionary Russia but is set in the present day. No, this is not an alternate history. There is a trace of the otherworldly that is hinted at in the very title... The language is rich and the descriptions evocative of a lost time and pla ...more
PickyReader
Mar 18, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
This is probably a good book. Tis a shame that I will never know how good, because I just cannot get past the weird beginning.

The beginning is just... I'm not entirely sure what is up with it. Maybe the author knew what she was trying to say, but couldn't pull it off well. Why does nobody like Sophie, except for the Russian lady? What's up with the Russian lady anyway? I suppose that part is supposed to be part of the "mystery" but it's just written so awkwardly.

I can't get past the characters
Maya M
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oct. 25, 2016
Maya Margalit
By: Cathryn Constable
The wolf princess

This book in my opinion was quite hard to understand and follow. But it was pretty exciting. There are three friends and they get to go on a school trip to St. Petersburg Russia. (They are located in England). And their " Adopted mom " I guess you could call her that was taking care of them for their stay got on the train with them but made the train stop and left them on the train by themselves and I am going to stop right here i
Ms. Yingling
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Later: So confused! I thought that this was time travel, but it wasn't, not really. I kept waiting, and waiting, but it seems that the girls were just sort of taken by this woman who wanted them to help find lost Russian diamonds because one of them had a link to a royal family.

Not time travel, not alternative history. Not bad, just not what I expected it to be!

(Earlier:I like anything with time travel, but my students don't, and princess books are a hard sell at middle school. Interested to se
The Book Club of ...: 8/12 - The Wolf Princess 1 7 Dec 07, 2012 06:00PM

• The Crab (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War 5)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • The Creature Department
  • The Color of Rain
  • The Clueless Girl's Guide to Being a Genius
  • Starry Nights
  • Philippa Fisher and the Dream-Maker's Daughter (Philippa Fisher, #2)
  • Ninja Timmy och de stulna skratten (Ninja Timmy, #1)
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • The Monster Princess
  • The Book of Lost Things (Mister Max #1)
Cathryn Constable read Theology at Cambridge University. She then worked at Vogue, W, Elle Decoration, Elle and The Independent.

She also wrote for a number of publications including Tatler, and The Sunday Times, before turning her hand to writing for children.

She is married with three children and lives in Islington, London.
“You have to have diamonds in your soul to be happy.” 7 likes
“We'd better get dressed."
"Give me twenty minutes," Delphine said, pulling on a pale pink silk robe and heading for the bathroom.
"Twenty minutes?" Marianne made a face.
"I couldn't take that long even if I did everything twice," Sophie said.”
0 likes