Start by marking “魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #1)” as Want to Read:
魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #1)

魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉

(魔法科高校の劣等生 [Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei] #1)

The year is 2095. Magic has been tamed as another form of technology, and the practice of magic is now a rigorous discipline. Brother and sister Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba are just about to start their first year at the renowned First Magic High School of Japan. But the school's ironclad rules mean that the brilliant Miyuki enters the prestigious Course 1, while her older ...more
Published July 8th 2011 by アスキーメディアワークス

To ask other readers questions about 魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉, please sign up.
Krista You can get it in English on April 19th…moreYou can get it in English on April 19th (less)
Eric This is the light novel. There is a manga available in English called "The Honor Student at Magic High School," which is about the same story but from…moreThis is the light novel. There is a manga available in English called "The Honor Student at Magic High School," which is about the same story but from Miyuki's POV.(less)

Start your review of 魔法科高校の劣等生 1 入学編〈上〉 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #1)
Euphemism
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This review covers the two books that form the first arc of the series, as translated on Baka-Tsuki.

Let's start off with the summary. This book is about a 'defective elder brother low achiever' and a 'perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever'. While the sister is undoubtedly perfect (and the author will tell you so repeatedly throughout this book and the series), the impression that the synopsis gives of the elder brother is a lie. Simply put, the younger sibling is perfect and everyone
Mary
This shit needs to be burned. 0 Freaking stars.

If you're thinking, that's harsh, trust me, it's not. Sword Art Line has better writing, story telling, characters, heck even ROMANCE than this crap-which is the most praise I can give SAO. And we all know how terrible SAO's romance was...

It starts off fine. WW3 has caused Japan to start relying on training students with magical powers. Those born with magic are put on a pedestal, but the social class distinctions don't end there.

Tatsuya and his
Beth
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
Superstar magical siblings Tatsuya and Miyuki have arrived as first-year students at Magic High School in Tokyo. Miyuki is a self-evident magical genius and has been enrolled in Course 1; Tatsuya's practical scores were mediocre and he is in Course 2, the "Weeds" of the school. He's actually a brilliant physical fighter, and his magic is powerful as well--just not in a way that can be measured by standardized tests. Despite his seemingly indifferent approach to the world (all but mandatory in a ...more
Brandon Varnell
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novels
If you'd like to watch my youtube review, please click on this link: The Irregular at Magic High School Volume 1.

The magical high school is perhaps one of the most prolific genres in the light novel community. There are dozens upon dozens of stories that involve a bunch of high school kids going to a school, learning magic, and fighting in magical tournaments. Light novels like Asterisk Wars, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, Infinite Stratos, and so many more literally saturate the light novel
Niall Teasdale
I decided to read this book (light novel) because of all the things the anime version fails to explain. Not, perhaps, the best of reasons to read a book, but there you go. As a sort of Cliff's Notes for the anime, it worked very well and I actually like the plot and characters. Correction: I much prefer the character of Tatsuya in the anime. When you can see inside his head, he comes over as much more of an arse.

The novel suffers a bit from having been produced in a serialised form for
Love
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The majority of light novels seem to fit in one of two categories. Either they are isekai stories, that is something variation on the "transported to another world" theme, or they are magic high school series, think Harry Potter with a lot more fighting. Irregular at Magic High School fits snuggly in to the second category, in some sense it might be the definitive title of the genre.

My complaints with it however has your do with the translation. It is very literal in its translation making it
Mahesh Nakka
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, anime
that relationship is creepy, the rest technical things are actually cool
Maxine Livingstone
Review to come.

As promised here is my review. Do not read this book without watching the anime first. Yes, yes I know you're probably saying "WHAT?" That is the truth the first book of this series is verbatim to the first episode of the show. So yes in order to understand this series it's best to watch the anime first. This can be found on Netflix or on HULU. We all know right off bat that the story follow a brother and sister pair. They both go to the same magic high school that is divided into
Rebecca
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Very difficult to read bc of clunky, awkward, and confusingly written prose. I’m not sure if the fault lies in the source material or if the translation is just that bad. It’s unfortunate because the world building is really interesting. You can tell the author gave a lot of thought to this unique way of using magic. I also find Tetsuya an intriguing character. You can also tell this was originally an online serial bc information is repeated several times, something unnecessary in such a short ...more
Jacob Cummings
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an awesome example of following the manga and anime. The book was a faster pace read that was always making me want to turn the page and read more and more till the end. The story has lots of emotion that make the reader connect with the characters. The book shows examples of just because you think someone is lower than you it doesn't mean they are.
DJay
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I can't get past the overly sister brother love in this to get through the rest of the series. The plot is a generic as hell. The sister is totally over the top about being in love with her brother. That might be cool with some people. But having a brother/sister fetish has never been something I was cool with. Won't be reading anymore of this series.
Katerine Gail Pangilinan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Impressive setting and characters! A wonderful world to live with with science and magic at its peak.
Jennelle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the first few episodes of this anime a year ago and ever since I have want to read the novels it was based on (and continue the anime afterwards)
I was not disappointed. I enjoy our main character, who tries to be distant and standoffish, but still manages to end up with a good group of friends. The magic system is interesting, though its description is often info-dumping and quite technical (the main reason that this wasn't a 5* read).

Now, I looked at a lot of 1* reviews that complained
Jordan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok so I've seen the anime long before I read the light novel, and I've picked this up because I've been made aware the light novel continues after the anime and well I want more.

Now I don't know if it suffers a little in translation but while the writing itself is good, its very basic and has the odd issue here and there, for example a character will speak but only after they are finished talking does the book tell you who said what. That can throw things off a little as more than once I thought
Rinke
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. the setting was so interesting but It was in no way near it potential.

The unique way of magic and the way of classifying of the students and its consequences where the reason I bought and wanted tot read the book. Unfortunately those two things are mere background things.

The Main element in this volume is the weird/unclear relationship between the two siblings(Are they even that? CONFUSING!) and of course the fact that the younger sister is amazing with magic! But don't
Mary Wyman
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Watched some of the episodes before I started reading this. Love the anime series, and now I loved this book. The only complaint I have is it is a little harder to tell who said what. I've read light novels before, so this is to be expected at first. But other than that, I can't wait to read the rest of the light novels.
For those who are about to read this novel, be prepared to have your brain overheat. It's confusing at first, but if you read slowly then it'll be easy to understand. Even if you
Heather
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, light-novels
I really enjoyed the anime series so I thought I would give the novels a go. The nice thing about the novel is getting inside the heads of the characters. There were times when watching the anime I wondered what the characters were thinking. However, this is a set up novel. Not a lot of action and almost no character development. Had I not seen the series, I probably would not continue with the series. I found some of the writing to be awkward, but that could be a translation issue. I also found ...more
Marisa
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow, there is so much set up for the magic in this world. it didn't take away from the story at all. Though it was hard for me to understand what the book was talking about. As the story goes on it gets thinned put so you understand it better. I thought this would give me more background on the story then what the anime did. In small ways it did but not as much as I was hoping. so off to read the next one!
Daniele
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is an example of all the mistake a writer shouldn't do. The writing is horrible and almost unreadable.

But I still finished it and I intend to keep going. Why? Because there are some good ideas buried under all that mud. An interesting magic system, a school academy and a ridiculously over-powered main-character.

Usually I don't like to lose my time, but it was a fast read and I think I might read the next book in the series too.
Howard
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the breakdown of the magical system throughout the book and look forward to further information on it in the following books.

The characters were likable (and hateable) but the interactions fit the normal flow of events without anything ground breaking.

Overall it was an enjoyable start to a story.
zayne simard-moore
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome
A lot of technical stuff explaining the universe in the beginning, first time reading it may be a bit boring and slow, but it picks up after the first few chapters. Enrollment Arc is a great starting point for anime/manga fans: really it's got everything in it though, from science fiction, to seinen, and even some romance and comedy is in there.
B. M.  Polier
The translation is sometimes difficult to understand, but I love this story. Wish I could read Japanese, I'm sure it would be even better. 4 stars and not 5 just due to translation errors and difficult wording.
Nao Ran
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This ligh novel is the best that I have read. I really love the coolness of Shiba Tatsuya. But I dont want he comes up with Miyuki. Honest to say, I love the cute girl Mayumi. She is a little naughty but I love that.
Christofer Brown
Too much repetition on how magic works and sudden ending with no resolution.

I get how magic works. The book kept repeating it. I watched the anime and some what enjoyed it so I thought I might enjoy the book. Man was I wrong.
Tawnie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Typically I like the book over the anime or movie, but in this case the anime is so much better. Too many overly long explanations of the magic system ruined this book for me. Also, the tone came off a bit preachy, but that might have been a byproduct of the translation.
Ira.Savira
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this, I can't guess the storyline. So, I think it has a good novelization. But, I'm not satisfied with the story. Good job.
gabi
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Tatsuya’s past is slowly being revealed.
Sean S
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story seemed alright. I picked it up after watching the anime, and the magic system seems interesting. However, the translation is awful. I couldn't get through it.
Brandt Anderson
3.5 stars. Decent but nothing spectacular. It ended well, but not a lot truly happened.
Japanese Novel an...: Mahouka - My Onii-sama can't be this Gary Stu 11 43 Feb 06, 2015 03:27PM

• Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 1
  • ソードアート・オンライン 3: フェアリィ・ダンス [Sōdo āto onrain 3: Fearyi Dansu] (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #3)
  • デスマーチからはじまる異世界狂想曲
  • ソードアート・オンライン 1: アインクラッド [Sōdo āto onrain 1: Ainkuraddo] (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 2
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 1 ゲーマー兄妹がファンタジー世界を征服するそうです (No Game No Life, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #1)
  • Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, Vol. 1 (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels, #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 4
  • ログ・ホライズン1 異世界のはじまり (Log Horizon, #1)
  • Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest, Vol. 3
  • 달빛 조각사 1 (The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, #1)
  • ありふれた職業で世界最強 5
  • ありふれた職業で世界最強 6
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 1 [Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #1]
  • デスマーチからはじまる異世界狂想曲 2
  • ソードアート・オンライン7: マザーズ・ロザリオ (Sword Art Online Light Novel, #7)
  • 異世界魔王と召喚少女の奴隷魔術 1 [Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu, Light Novel Vol. 1] (How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord [Light Novel], #1)

魔法科高校の劣等生 [Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei] (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 2 入学編〈下〉 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #2)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 3 九校戦編〈上〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #3)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 4 九校戦編〈下〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #4)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 5 夏休み編+1 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #5)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 6 横浜騒乱編〈上〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #6)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 7 横浜騒乱編〈下〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #7)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 8 追憶編 (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #8)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 9 来訪者編 〈上〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #9)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 10 来訪者編 〈中〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #10)
  • 魔法科高校の劣等生 11 来訪者編〈下〉(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, #11)