Start by marking “Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  2,023 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Loving Kim Jae-Min isn’t always easy: Jae is gun-shy about being openly homosexual. Ex-cop turned private investigator Cole McGinnis doesn’t know any other way to be. Still, he understands where Jae is coming from. Traditional Korean men aren’t gay—at least not usually where people can see them.

But Cole can’t spend too much time unraveling his boyfriend’s issues. He has a
Published September 28th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Secret

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

**4 stars for the story, 10++++ stars for the audiobook narrator!**

Greg Tremblay, you rock my world.

You are a perfect, PERFECT, Cole McGinnis and your range of voices is... sigh... *me so happy*!! This narrator is one of my favorite audiobook narrators and has MADE this series for me! I could kiss you... for real! No, seriously, let's make out...

It takes a lot for me to LOVE an audiobook, especially an audiobook in which I have no idea what is happening. Honestly. I was totally clueless.

I ha
Ingela
Written August 21, 2014

4 Stars - Already familiar and homely with fast-paced crime, a lot of yummy smex and a wonderfully charming private investigator

Book #2

I downloaded this second audiobook in Rhys Ford's M/M crime series Cole McGinnis as soon as I finished the first installment: #1 - Dirty Kiss (3.5 stars). I liked this style, these guys and this great narrator at once.

A very happy Ingela after a second round.
I immediately jump on the next train with Cole & the gang now. Rubbing
Jenni Lea
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, bmbr

She did it again.

That's twice now Rhys Ford has shocked me.

I'm not even sure what to say here. Just that this book was amazing. And wonderful. And entertaining as hell. And the FEELS! Oh man, the feels in this one.

Read. This. Book.
Wendy
After finishing book 1, I jumped right into this one. I have a feeling I will be reading the books in this series in one sitting (maybe I will take a break to actually sleep).

I have a confession though. This book confused the crap out of me :p

shiftyeyes.gif (500×170)

I didn't know what was going on and there were so many people. All Korean and all with weird names I couldn't remember or understand.

e8e18e1626e181d7a49317def1ea4449.gif (500×281)

Then, I remembered Susan telling me not to get too caught up in all the names, so I let it go and just enjoyed the story :)

T
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
1st read 6/14
2nd read 9/15.

Still love Cole-ah and Jae Min even more.

Eff me sideways, this book was so freaking good. I thought the first one was good, this was better. Aside from the names(I had to make a chart, don't judge me) the story sucked me in. I cried and laughed and cried again. I don't know why I waited to read this serIlies or anything by this author but she is on auto buy for me now on. Cole was an emotional wreck at times but I loved it. His strength, his vulnerability and his abili
Rhys Ford
Aug 19, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author, wrote
Yes, I'm writing a review for this book. Honestly, I'm not leaving a review for reading it. I'm leaving one for writing it.

Scribbling down this book was a fantastic experience. Through Dirty Kiss, I met so many lovely people and interacted with fantastic readers. This book really belongs to everyone who read DK and told me they fell in love with Cole and Jae.

I hope you find them interesting and engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed writing them.

So thank you. Every one of you, my deepest thanks.

Now, o
Heather C
Gah! This sequel was awesome!!!

What I loved:

Cole His snark still cracks me up! He had me laughing A LOT. But my favorite is how protective he is of Jae; its very obvious that Jae is his world. (view spoiler)

Jae-Min He breaks my heart; I just want to give him a hug. And its also very obvious that Cole is his world, too. I love the tenderness between them. I thought it was a little sappy in the first book, bu
Meep
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well that's one giant head f*ck!
A Celtic Knot of incestous Koreans, a disappearance, multiple shootings, family and romance.

Lots going on. More thriller than mystery, the type where there's lots of characters, guns, threats and it would take a sharper mind than mine to keep them sorted. Interestingly Cole is investigating the disappearance not the murders, the conclusion of which is so sudden I had to go back and check facts to understand it - the clue is right there on the page if you catch it!
MishyJo
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Full Stars. I cannot believe how good that was. I have always liked Rhys Ford's books but this BLEW. ME. AWAY.

Cole and Jae are easily in my top 5 MM couples and this series is definitely in my top 3 series.

And the hook for book 3? OMG. I will be reading it Monday. With Amy. Of course.

*******
Notes to self
Dae Hoon -- the missing father
Seong Min-Ho -- Scarlet's hyung
Kwon Sang Min -- the suspected bad guy, Dae Hoon's lover, David's soon to be father in law
Shin-Cho -- the young man hiring Cole
H
Ami
Cole McGinnis is hired by Park Shin-Cho (Scarlet's hyung's nephew) to find out what is happened with Shin-Cho's father, who disappeared almost 20 years ago (back in 1994). Shin-Cho is gay as is his father, and Shin-Cho's brother is now marrying his father's lover's daughter (yes, I know, very confusing and in some way, incestous, no?), so Shin-Cho thinks it is the right time to find the truth once and for all.

But as the investigation starts moving, people are starting to get shot. Cole wonders
DarienMoya
~WHEN A SEQUEL KICK-ASSES!!!~

4.5

Thank you Rhys Ford for surpassing my expectations and making me happy. Let’s be frank, sometimes sequels can be a let down and though I was excited out of pants to read Dirty Secret I wasn't anticipating gold. Well folks I got platinum, I never thought I would like this book so much and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first. It was like sitting down to a kick ass episode of Cole McGinnis P.I. Sometimes even the most awesome has faults and so I do have a few thi
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Looking back on Dirty Kiss I fully appreciated this sequel a lot more. It doesn't hurt that the narrator Greg Tremblay is seamless with all the different characters and accents - he's quite impressive.

I really liked Cole. He wasn't overly emotional; he doesn't say a lot of pretty words. But his feelings for Jae are intense and for the first time, in a long time since his past lover was killed, he's living and loving again.

What this series has that Ford's other series (i.e. Sinner's Gin) doesn't,
Susan
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another 3.5 stars...

First half of this book was a mix of snooze-fest and utter confusion. I was getting bored of the storyline moving so slowly and the barrage of Korean-named characters was confusing…even for me! Truly, how likely is it that every single Korean man Cole comes in contact with is gay and every single person in his seemingly small world gets shot at and killed? (And PS: not all Koreans sleep with their cousins as this series may suggest! Ha!)

BUT, the book took a turn when the auth
AliciaJ
I'm in love with Jae-Min I swear. For someone who's supposed to be the secondary character, he steals the show with every scene he's in. He is bee-uuu-tee-full! And Cole's not so bad either. This is a kick-ass sequel to Dirty Kiss, and I can't wait to read the next one, Dirty Laundry. Gotta say, I hope there are many more books to come in this series. It rocks.
DaisyGirl
3.75 Stars

Cole and Jae have embarked on a torrid - but sorta secret - love affair. Jae's familial obligations and the expectations of the Korean chaebol keep him firmly ensconced in the closet. Cole is out and proud so, needless to say, being with Jae is an adjustment. Nevertheless, Cole is happier than he's been in a long time. When Scarlet asks Cole to help find Park Dae-Hoon, a gay Korean man who disappeared nearly two decades ago, Cole finds himself submerged in the tangled world of rich Kor
A Girl Has No Name
3. 5 stars for a solid mystery and a deeper insight into the main characters of the series

I read the first part of this series Dirty Kiss quite a while ago due to the many positive reviews of my GR fiends, but somehow I didn't connect that easily with the main characters. However, I remember that I liked the solid mystery of the first book and I wanted to give the series another chance. And I have to say that I liked this part slightly better than the first.

I got more familiar with Jae and Cole
Amy
Definitely ALL the stars!! I absolutely adore this series. Cole and Jae-Min. Dreamy sigh. I will admit that it was somewhat difficult to keep up with all the Korean names, but I made myself a little cheat sheet and that helped a lot. Mishy and I are moving right along and starting book #3 immediately.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Overall this was a nice sequel to the first story. It left me immediately wanting to read the third in the series because of course it ends on a cliffhanger. It was confusing to begin with--there are so many characters and the intricate relationships were ridiculous. I kid you not: I had to make a family tree on paper that I kept updating. It was so complicated the lines overlapped.

Cole and Jae are getting closer and I need Jae to step it up. Cole is incredibly patient, although I was reminded t
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Wow! I enjoyed the first book, Dirty Kiss, but I loved this one so much more! It's left me speechless, to be honest.

I felt like Cole and Jae grew so much closer in this one. Their relationship is intense and deep and so touching it makes me want to cry sometimes. They obviously love each other so much but their circumstances stop them from taking that final step into full blown life partners. It's heartbreaking. Cole's still the snarky man I fell in love with and Jae is still the caring, but so
Lisazj1
*Edit*

4.5 stars. Though it took me a while to work around to it, this was a fabulous, much-appreciated Secret Santa gift from Just another CyberMonday Elf, better known as Karen, since she outted that SS name *at least, I'm pretty sure she did, anyway :D*

So much better than Dirty Kiss, and I really enjoyed that one. I got to know both Cole and Jae a lot more here, while they grow ever closer to each other. They both have a lot of baggage and difficulties from their lives prior to each other, bu
Chelsea
Audio is still amazing! I honestly didn't care about the mystery in this story at all, but I do love Cole and Jae together xoxo.

Lots more yummy sex as well ;-)
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I read this sequel to Dirty Kiss (reviewed here) directly after that book, simply because I really love these characters and I feel very invested in their happiness. As a sequel, this book did everything it needed to rise above Dirty Kiss, both in the mystery and in the continuation of the romance.

Cole and Jae ended the first book on shaky ground but with a solid commitment to give their relationship a try -- at least for the time being. The atmosph
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ongoing-series, 2012
Wow. I absolutely loved this story. Loved it. This series has moved up into my top 5 favorites.

There are plenty of reviews already breaking down this book so I'll spare you doing the same. What I do want to talk about is Rhys' writing. It's phenomenal. I don't think people truly understand the talent it takes to write a mystery with a romance entwined with it. I believe I've read just about all there is out there in the m/m mystery field (that's worth reading) and Josh Lanyon has been by far the
Elsbeth

description - Narrator - Grey Tremblay

Review to come...

Line
So I read the first book in this series in January, and wasn't convinced. I haven't written a review, so I don't know why it wasn't a big hit, but I had this craving for a police/PI/mystery/smexy-plot and since this series has received HIGH praise, I thought I would give this a go - again.
It turns out I have read this book before (I recognized a few things when I was reading), but had forgotten about it, and it was clearly my loss.
I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

So Cole and Jae are sort
Jewel
4.5 Stars

I am seriously loving this series! Cole and Jae have, pretty much, taken up residence in my heart and I just love them!

Dirty Secret is a missing person's story (sort of) that turns into another murder mystery. Fun stuff, really. And Cole, as usual, is a bullet magnet. I swear, he really needs to invest in some Kevlar. I think it would give Jae some peace of mind.

And, of course, around the crazy case that Cole is working on, is his evolving relationship with Jae. Jae is still scared to r
Virginia
Enjoyed this one even more than book 1. Once again, great banter, a good mystery and awesome supporting cast.

The guys are slowly moving ahead with their relationship. The scenes where Jae comforted Cole were so loving. Jae had also been opening up more to Cole as well and it is so clear through Jae's actions where his feelings lie with Cole. As someone who googled the Korean phrases both guys used to discuss their relationship, it's clear they are moving forward (which made this reader very happ
BWT (Belen)
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear God,

Thank you for giving me the wonder and joy of Greg Tremblay's narration.

Amen.
Elizabetta

Ok, I really liked the first book Dirty Kiss and I don't know why it took me so long get to this sequel but I'm glad I did. It's the multi-cultural/multi-racial aspect that I especially like. That, and these characters get under my skin. Cole (mixed Japanese/Irish) and Jae-Min (Korean) are sexy and complicated and I’m happy to visit with them again…

Cole Kenjiro McGinnis: P.I., ex-cop, gay; aka Cole-ah, Cole-sshi, agi, depending on who’s talking to him; bullet-taker, he’s been shot more times th
Maya
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
t is not often that I read a sequel to a book that I thought was just 'okay' and like it better than the original book but, in this case, that is exactly what happened.

This book opens a couple of months following where the first book left off. Cole and Jae-Min are making a go of it despite the restrictions that Jae places on the relationship by being deeply closeted. Cole isn’t thrilled about it but he does understand the reasons for it especially after being recently submerged in the Korean cu
Sooooooon..... 2 29 Sep 23, 2013 10:08AM
Dreamspinner Press: Dirty Secret by Rhys Ford 1 17 Sep 28, 2012 01:34AM
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • Point of No Return (Turning Point, #1)
  • Laying Ghosts (Deputy Joe, #3)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Diversion (Diversion, #1)
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She sha
More about Rhys Ford...

Cole McGinnis (6 books)
  • Dirty Kiss (Cole McGinnis, #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (Cole McGinnis, #3)
  • Dirty Deeds (Cole McGinnis, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Cole McGinnis, #5)
  • Dirty Heart (Cole McGinnis, #6)
“She was a small cat, barely five pounds of black chinchilla fur and fangs, but Pearl Harbor envied her air-raid vocalizations.” 20 likes
“I tried not to let my relief show. I’d been a passenger in Jae’s car a total of three times, and after each trip, I forced myself not to kiss the ground in thanks once I got free of the Explorer. He’d learned to drive in Seoul. Apparently, no one believed in turn signals or lanes in South Korea, because Jae drove like a drunk butterfly heading to its next fermented flower.” 13 likes