Start by marking “Zeb and the Great Ruckus” as Want to Read:
Zeb and the Great Ruckus

Zeb and the Great Ruckus

“This is a story made from pieces of all the dreams that you had when you were asleep, but then forgot when you woke up.”

Hello! You are reading this in order to determine whether or not this book will be of interest to you ! Well, congratulations, you obviously have fabulous taste! Zeb and the Great Ruckus is a story about magic, music, fireworks, bewilderbeasts, clockwork
Published September 15th 2012 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about Zeb and the Great Ruckus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeb and the Great Ruckus

Ramie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Zeb lives in a land much like ours. Kids go to school. Mothers create questionable recipes. Homework and chores exist. Bullies and quirky kids clash. Leaders abuse their power. Then again, Zeb's world is very different from ours. You never know what clay and music combined will get you. Birds can be your average run of the mill birds or made or clockwork. Animals can create magical music.

At it's core the story is simple - one extinct creature suddenly reappears. At the same time Zeb is turning t
Courtney
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, fantasy
Zeb and the Great Ruckus focuses on the fantasies and dreams of childhood. Zeb is a young boy living in a dictator driven society. The Czar (he's the president of this society) rules over the land and regulates the rules. One rule that the author chooses to focus on is absolutely no music of any kind. The only place that is allowed to have music is the Emporium. This book will delight and fright a child of any age - six to 99.
This book has everything a child or adult would want. It's for a child
Vidya Tiru
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts: A Totally Awesome and Magical Book
This book reminded me of some of my favorite children’s book written for adults :) - ‘The Three Fat Men’ and ‘Haroun and the Sea of Stories’. The book talks about unjust governments, weird and unfair rules, and the citizens who stand up against wrongs. Yet it is a fun read with laughs in every page. How Josh accomplishes it is part of the magic of the book.
Metaphors and similes are scattered all over this book – in every page, in fact – like pearls
Dena (Batch of Books)
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Loved loved loved it!

Crazy. Nutty. Completely wacky. Fantastically unique!

I absolutely loved this story. Books like this are the reason I read.

While the plot is nothing spectacular (it is a basic quest plot), it is the way the book is written that makes it so appealing. It is a brilliant new take on an old story. The characters are vibrant and lively, each with a distinct personality that makes them loveable and memorable.

To say that I was pleasantly surprised by this story would be an under
Jessica Bell
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tim Burton and Baz Luhrmann should team up and make this into a film. I haven't read anything so FUN and NUTS in ages. I'm naming Joshua Donnellan, Roald Dahl's alter-ego; the guy that accidentally got into the medicine cabinet.

This book reads like a children's book, but it's not. It's extraordinarily clever and brilliant, some genius stuff in there that kids just would not understand, so don't even try to give it to a kid to read. Well you could try. They may not understand the jokes, but they
Rose
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much I immediately started to read it again when I finished it. Laugh-out-loud funny, full of quirky imaginative creatures and unconventional adventures. A must read.
Rosie
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twelve year old Zeb celebrates his birthday with a rather unique birthday cake before making his way to school. He returns home in the afternoon with his best friend, Flip, who is eager to see Zeb open his birthday gifts, including a special gift from his father, Kingston, who had died ten years earlier. Zeb, Flip and his mother, Sarina, notice an odd-looking animal with giant ears and no mouth; when it is startled, it encapsulates itself with its ears, disguising itself as a rock. Flip sketches ...more
Pop Bop
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There's A Fine Line Between Fantastical and Twee

The author manages to walk that line, but every now and then he threatens to wander into precious territory. Fortunately, and I assume intentionally, every time we start to get a bit too sugary the author adds a few drops of vinegar to keep us interested.

Zeb and Flip are on a quest to find Smokey Waters and return music to the land. Some fantasy creatures try to help; some creatures and humans oppose them. This is "Last of the Really Great Whangdoo
Cindy Cipriano
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle Grades genre
Zeb and The Great Ruckus, is the tale of two friends, Zeb and Flip, and their journey to right a wrong, which has left their world void of the beauty of music. Skillfully written, the story transports the reader seamlessly from our world to Chromata, a town where even the smallest of sounds is viewed as a huge and forbidden commotion.

Author Josh Donellan has the amazing gift of expressing, with great accuracy, the musings of middle school kids. This strength is consistent throughout the story, w
Julie
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids 8-12
Recommended to Julie by: NetGalley
Disclosure: I got an advance ebook copy of this title from NetGalley.

Boy, this book flew right by! This is a light-hearted, quick-paced children's book about a boy, his best friend, some bunny-like creatures, and the power of music. It's a cute story and the author's sense of humor really grabbed me. He uses a lot of creative similes throughout (some of which had me smiling enough that I read them aloud to my husband), and the language is very descriptive.

I would recommend this to the 8-12 set,
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Zeb and the Great Ruckus is a children’s book that really is suitable for any age. It’s short and excellently paced with adorable pictures sprinkled throughout. And like all good children’s books, the children are the heroes themselves. This is the story of Zeb, his friend Flip, and the extinct musical creatures who save the world from the evil ruler who has banished all music.

(More.)
Amber
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the flow of the book and how I got swept into the story. I am going to be saving this book for my daughter because she will want to read it in a few years when she is reading this type of book.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Pearl
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. The story was magical and the Zeb and Flip were entertaining. I enjoy these two going on the adventures. I love the illustrations in the book too. I wish the middle of the book was longer but the story ended. Not bad.
Sumire
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful story that got me giddy with excitement. I love the characters and the playfulness of the language and of course the kick ass anarchy. I can't wait to read this aloud to my kids (one day).
Missie Kay
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
In which I say: Pushing Daisies fans unite (and read this book)!

Read more at my blog:
Brazil Brazil
Nov 15, 2013
Britney Garcia
Nov 08, 2015
JM Donellan is an author, poet, musician, voice actor, radio DJ and teacher. He was almost devoured by a tiger in the jungles of Malaysia, nearly died of a lung collapse in the Nepalese Himalayas, fended off a pack of rabid dogs with a guitar in the mountains of India and was sexually harassed by a half-naked man whilst standing next to Oscar Wilde's grave in Paris.

He has an unnatural fondness for
“I had an aunt named 'abnormal Shauna' once. But she passed away in an unfortunate cliff-top interpretative dance and fireworks accident.” 3 likes
“...we've already had one horrible thing happen today, which means that if you think about it the odds of anything else horrible happening again in the next few hours should now be quite low.” 2 likes