Start by marking “Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)

Stealing the Preacher

(Archer Brothers #2)

On his way to interview for a position at a church in the Piney Woods of Texas, Crockett Archer can scarcely believe it when he's forced off the train by a retired outlaw and presented to the man's daughter as the minister she requested for her birthday. Worried this unfortunate detour will ruin his chances of finally serving a congregation of his own, Crockett is determin ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Stealing the Preacher, please sign up.
Julie No. I did not. They all appear in each other's stories, though. I started with the last one, A Cowboy Unmatched, as part of a collection, then read th…moreNo. I did not. They all appear in each other's stories, though. I started with the last one, A Cowboy Unmatched, as part of a collection, then read the first 2 in order. I will say… after finishing the second book, I went back to Cowboy Unmatched and read the last couple chapters again. Now that I was familiar with everyone, it added a nice dimension to read the ending of that one again.(less)

Start your review of Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
Anne
Well, I don't even know what to say. This was so awesome. Where has Karen Witemeyer been all my life again?

I read Short Straw Bride, the first book in this series, not too long ago and I really liked it, but in my opinion this one was even better. They are written in the same wonderful, engaging way, and both feature delightful characters, but my preference for Stealing the Preacher stems from the fact that I preferred the hero and the heroine, and the amount of spiritual depth that flowed nicel
Marlene
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, western
Stealing the Preacher , the sequel to Short Straw Bride , by Karen Witemeyer is a Christian western romance. It's set in Texas in the late 1800's.

Crockett Archer is on his way via train to apply for a preacher position when the train is held up by a masked gang. The only thing they steal is Crockett!

Joanna Robbins is the daughter of the gang's ringleader, and is horrified when her father presents her with Crockett as a birthday present!

What I liked :

*The lead characters are easy to admire, and b
Jane
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.60 stars - mild pg13

Another really fun story about one of the Archer Brothers! (I love the fun book covers!) Loved our hero, Crockett! Well, duh, who wouldn't?!? And (surprise! surprise!) I actually liked the heroine, Joanna! (I'm noticing a pattern with myself; it seems I tend to be way more partial to the heroes in these fictional stories, than I am to the heroines, whom I usually refer to as twits. Hmmm? I wonder what deep character flaw of mine this reveals? Jealousy of fictional women?? O
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up (romance, and some situations)

Best for Ages: 18 and up

Karen Witemeyer has been my author find of the year. I have only read three of her books, but she has already proven she has an engaging style, faith-building messages, and godly characters. When I was offered a copy of her latest book to review, I jumped at the chance.
It was good to meet up with one of the Archer brothers again. You might remember Crockett from Short-Straw Bride. Throughout the book, you hear o
Olivia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this!! It is WAYYY better than the first book in this series. I don't really know what to rate this. I want to give it five stars merely because I was pleasantly surprised by the contrast of this one to Travis' story. But four it is....

What I loved:
-I'll start with the main thing that bothered me in the last book. Romance. This one focused so much more on a true relationship, instead of the physical side. Crockett didn't focus on a woman's body like Travis did and his feelings
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
The one thing Joanna Robbins truly desires for her twenty-first birthday is a preacher. For months and years Joanna has been praying for a preacher to come to her community. A preacher would be able to bring her father to Christ and help resurrect their now neglected and abandoned church – two missions very important to her. Joanna misses worshiping with her friends and neighbors; and without her mother around, she needs someone to help save her father's soul.

By some underhand, dubious, (and ill
Dawn
Crockett Archer is on his way to interview for a pastor position in Brenham when he is kidnapped from the train and taken to a ranch in the middle of no where to be a birthday present for the outlaw's daughter. Joanna Robbins has been praying for a preacher to come and bring new life into the small country church near her father's ranch in the hopes that maybe her outlaw father will finally answer God's call on his life. She certainly didn't expect her prayers to be answered by a handsome preach ...more
Julie Graves
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads, christian
Crockett Archer is on his way to Brenham, TX when his train is held up by bandits. The passengers prepare to be robbed but the bandits do not want their jewelry or money. There is only one thing they want…the preacher!

Joanna Robbins made a promise to her mother before she died. She promised to carry on her mother’s mission of praying for her father Silas to make his peace with God. Joanna’s one wish for her birthday is to see a preacher in the abandoned church by their home. Little did she know
Salyna
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall it was a fun/enjoyable read!
Their was one thing about Stealing the Preacher that I did not like. Which was how the kidnapping, "stealing," of Crockett took place. I feel like it was not thought out well and that it was not believable. Whose gonna steal a Preacher? Not to mention how he is kidnapped... That's for you to find out;) Other than that however the book was great!

In a Short-Straw Bride I thought Crockett was somewhat boring and was kinda just there. In this book though I learned
Aerykah
Loved this book so much! I can't say this about many books, but it had me teary-eyed more than a few times... in happy parts as well as a couple sad ones. It also had me laughing quite a bit. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Another great book by Karen Witemeyer! I can't wait to read her next one!
Susan F
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great follow-up to Short Straw Bride. This is certainly a stand-alone book but once I read one in the series I wanted more. The characters are strong, believable and downright hysterical at times. I love this series.
Maria
Crockett Archer’s life is about to change. On his way to interview for a job as a preacher, some bandits (led by Silas Robbins, a former outlaw) kidnap him without any explanation. What do they want from him? Shock hits Crockett when he finds out he is supposed to be a birthday present for Silas’ daughter!

Archer brothers won my heart when I read Short-Straw Bride and this second book of the series just confirmed my feelings. These brothers are wonderful men! Not only they love their family no ma
Meagan
I don't think it will shock anyone who knows me to hear that I am emphatically not the audience for this book. I read it in a professional capacity, to prepare for a booktalking program I'm doing at my library. So, I'll do my best to follow up my personal reaction with a more detached explanation of who I think this book would speak to.

Meagan the reader speaks:

Holy hell there was a lot of preachiness in this book. I mean, I know it's Christian Fiction and all, but I don't think the hero and hero
Ceri
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, christian
Crockett Archer is on his way to a job opportunity, his first as a preacher. He’ll be orating, as will another candidate, but Crockett is confident of his chances. However, he never makes it to his job interview – the train gets held up by some surprisingly old bandits, are not looking for valuables, they are looking for the preacher. Crockett finds out to his astonishment that he has been kidnapped... as a birthday present!

Joanna Robbins, daughter of Silas Robbins, ranch owner (and some years
Bluerose's  Heart
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, romance
When I saw the cover reveal for the 1st cover of Stealing the Preacher, I almost cried. Seriously! I didn't like it at all, and I hated that it didn't match the other lovely Witemeyer books on my shelf. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who felt that way, because it wasn't too much longer later that this beauty made it's appearance and made my day! A sigh of relief may have escaped me when I saw it. ;)

Although Witemeyer doesn't typically write sequels, I'm thrilled that Stealing the Preacher is
Marian Baay
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, favorites
Stealing the Preacher is the sequel to Short-Straw Bride. I learned this piece of information halfway through the book because one of my friends mentioned it. If I hadn’t known it was a sequel I had never figured that out by reading this book—so the book can easily be read as stand-alone.

Abducted from a train by an ex-outlaw, Crockett Archer is presented to the man’s daughter as a birthday present for her 21st birthday.
Joanna Robbins can’t believe that her father forced a preacher off the train
Hannah
Such an enjoyable, solid book! I really enjoyed reading about who Crockett had become and getting to know the delightful Joanna Robbins. Plenty of twists and turns in this one! And each resolution was so satisfying.
One little thing got on my nerves a bit; the mention of "stings like a fire ant" is a bit before its time, as my mom still remembers when fire ants invaded the area in the 1950s and 1960s, much later than this story. And the phrase "for crying out loud" felt very modern. But otherwise
Sandy
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a little preachier than Karen Witemeyer's other books because Crockett is, well, a preacher but I. LOVED. IT.

I opened up Stealing the Preacher thinking I'd just read a few pages and ended up reading the whole book in one sitting. Fans of Short-Straw Bride will delight in seeing the predicament this Archer brother finds himself in...and how love awaits in the most unexpected places.
Melissa
This was a sweet, fun story. It is exactly what I have come to expect from Witemeyer. There is preaching but it doesn't last for pages, just a couple paragraphs here and there. There is always some silliness, some romance and some action. Her story's are simple and sweet and fun to read and this one fit right in with the rest. These are ok for a teen to read, they are very clean.
Holly Knappenberger-sanchez
Jan 19, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: want-to-read
Oh wow! So excited this book is a sequel to Short Straw!!!!
Rachel
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was a fun and entertaining Christian historical romance novel with a well written plot and a fair amount of action. I liked the characters, and I loved learning more about the second Archer brother, Crockett, and seeing the unique way he met his match.
Abigail Harris
Oh, my goodness! RTC
Brittney Condren
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for what I needed after some heart pounding action haha But the plot was still solid enough to keep my attention.. even at work haha
Rissi
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, review
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Giving readers a clever plot is half the battle in fiction. Veteran author, Karen Witemeyer does just that in her latest rip-roaring “western,” Stealing the Preacher. Narrating the story of yet another one of the popular, good-looking Archer brothers, Crockett is the man of the hour and the red-headed Texan Joanna Robbins is the girl who captures his fancy. The pair meet when he is literally trussed up like a calf at the fair, which begs the question, what could be cuter than
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: STEALING THE PREACHER
Author: Karen Witemeyer
Publisher: Revell
June 2013
ISBN: 978-0764209666
Genre: Historical romance

On his way to interview for a position at a church in the Piney Woods of Texas, Crockett Archer can scarcely believe it when he's forced off the train by a retired outlaw and presented to the man's daughter as the minister she requested for her birthday. Worried this unfortunate detour will ruin his chances of finally serving a congregation of his own, Crockett is determined
Melanie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ZRW2JD...
Review on my blog: http://www.christianbookshelfreviews....

After reading my first Karen Witemeyer book (Short-Straw Bride) last year, I could hardly wait to read this next Archer book. Stealing the Preacher was such a wonderful read that I had a hard time putting down.

I absolutely loved the characters in Stealing the Preacher! I was already familiar with the Archer brothers (Travis, Jim, Crockett, and Neill) and knew I liked them from Sho
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stealing the Preacher was a little more Christian then Karen Witemeyer's other books BUT it makes sense because the main character is a preacher! I sometimes like my Christian books lighter on the Christian but I didn't really mind this one! It made religion applicable to the characters lives without being overly preachy. It kind of reminds me of the Hallmark series Love Comes Softly. I have grown to love Karen Witemeyer's books. I get excited when I find that she has written a new one! She has ...more
Donna
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Okay. I’m a cynic. I have completely embraced that about myself, even though my family and friends struggle with it from time to time. I blame that part of myself for why I have problems with sappy and predictable books. It causes excessive eye rolling on my part.

This was the second book in the Archer Brothers series. My reaction was of pleasant surprise with the first book. I guess I expected the same, if not more from this one, since it is the second one and NOT the 32nd one.

This book was swee
A.M. Heath
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What I Loved: Witemeyer has a way of weaving comedy, romance, and sticky situations together in an entertaining way. I love how each book showcases an original circumstance and Stealing the Preacher was another great example of this.
I really enjoyed walking alongside Joanna and Crockett as they set out to bring to life an old forgotten church and revive God's people. There was such a pure motivation behind the characters and it's something close to my own heart so it was easy to root for them an
Sara Cardon
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very cute. I love Karen Witemeyer!

When Joanna's daddy asks her what she wants for her birthday, she never thought he'd take her comment about wanting a preacher so seriously.

Crockett gets abducted from the train. What do the outlaws want? The preacher. Crockett is unlike most preachers they've met - he's not intimidated by outlaws, guns, hard physical labor or people with hard edges. And to Joanna he's charming and handsome.

Joanna is shy but spunky, tender but firm, ladylike yet knows how to h
Sinopsis en Español 1 2 Nov 20, 2014 09:40AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 2 4 Oct 25, 2014 04:29PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 07, 2014 04:18PM
Have you ever dated a preacher/clergyman? 7 28 Jan 25, 2014 02:03PM
Christian Fiction...: ❀Abbi, Megan and Melanie❀ Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer 24 12 Jun 04, 2013 11:15AM
Fans of Christian...: Nominate June 2013's Group Read *Voting Closed* 11 37 May 16, 2013 11:21AM

• Tried and True (Wild at Heart, #1)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
  • Love on the Line
  • For the Record (Ozark Mountain Romance, #3)
  • At Love's Bidding (Ozark Mountain Romance, #2)
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • A Most Inconvenient Marriage (Ozark Mountain Romance, #1)
  • Fire and Ice (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • Now and Forever (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Her Dearly Unintended (Ozark Mountain Romance #2.5)
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • After a Fashion (A Class of Their Own, #1)
  • A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • Caught in the Middle (Ladies of Caldwell County, #3)
  • An Unforeseen Match (A Match Made in Texas, #2)
  • Engaging the Competition (Teaville Moral Society, #0.5)
For those who love to smile as they read, bestselling author Karen Witemeyer offers warmhearted historical romance with a flair for humor, feisty heroines, and swoon-worthy Texas heroes. A transplant from California, Karen came to Texas for college, met a cowboy disguised as a computer nerd, married him, and never left the state that had become home.

Winner of the National Reader's Choice Award, H

Archer Brothers (3 books)
  • Short-Straw Bride (Archer Brothers, #1)
  • An Old-Fashioned Texas Christmas: 2-in-1 Holiday Novella Collection