Start by marking “Existence Is Futile” as Want to Read:
Existence Is Futile

Existence Is Futile

'Professor Henry Tomlinson, accredited member of the National Microbiologists Association, author of the best seller 'The Futility of Sheep', widower, father of twins, sat on the chair in his ransacked study and for the first time in his life, asked himself if he was losing his mind.'

There are three things which can irrevocably change a man's life - the death of a loved o
ebook
Published August 18th 2012 by Smashwords (first published June 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Existence Is Futile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Existence Is Futile

K.S. Marsden
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is... a hard book to describe. I've read it, and I'm still not entirely sure what it is about. The process of loss? The questioning of sanity and reality? The futilty of humans? Or about actual ninjas?
All I know is it was fantastic. Although all the above sound quite intense, Andrews has given us a book that is full of warmth and humour; it is easy and a delight to read, without dumbing down on it's topics.

It portrays both personal madness, as the main character questions his sanity, and th
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Existence Is Futile is a well-written, heartbreaking book that follows the unraveling of a man who struggles to piece his life back together after the death of his wife. While much of the book is despairing, causing me to sincerely feel awful for Henry, I found myself laughing at times, too.

The characters are dynamic, the story is quirky, and I couldn't stop reading. Henry's memories of his wife are lovely and so full of imagery and life that I could picture the scenes unfolding in my mind.

The p
Thomas Rose-Masters
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
'Existence is Futile' by Scott Andrews is: serious, bizarre, deep, fun, wacky, telling, witty and, well, profoundly emotional. This last characteristic may not be apparent at first, as the plot involving a retired microbiologist, his deceased wife Julia (or June, if you are an inattentive man of cloth), a fixer, a stranger and a mysterious number of ninjas rushes through space and time, back and forth in a roller-coaster ride of outrageous events, subtle characterization and illuminating essays ...more
Nour Sharif
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle, english

“What if there isn’t a purpose? Truth be told in 7 million years of mankind, God hasn’t yet alluded to exactly why we are here, maybe it was an oversight, or perhaps humanity didn’t get the memo. The most likely rationale is that the human race is merely part of the ecosystem of the earth, much the same as a woodworm or a honey bee. The only difference or the failing if you will is the fact that we are arrogant enough to overestimate our own importance.”

I have a knack for existential
J9
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you on your toes, if it was a film, it would be in the style of Tarantino.
Funny at times, I even giggled to myself, even slightly crazy at points, but written in a way that allows you to somehow connect with the fictional characters ups and downs of life.
A good read which leaves you with some optimism, and a curiosity of the existence of actual ninjas ;)
Stephieshaver
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend

Highly entertaining and thought provoking.
Patricia Reding
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
EXISTENCE IS FUTILE is interesting in that it does not fit any clearly definable genre---or at least not one that I recognize. It is the story of a man who, following his wife’s death, finds himself struggling to determine whether he is sane. Or was it all a dream? Had Henry’s life in fact gone an entirely different way because years back he had decided to go to Asia with Julia after all? The truth is—I’m not sure. In any case, EXISTENCE tells of Henry’s struggle with accepting the loss of his w ...more
Poul
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a starter i need to specify that since I am very difficult to pleas, Mr. Andrews made a very good attempt.

One thing is for sure, Mr. Andrew dos not waste your time as a reader, the language is direct and to the main core right away, which is refreshing and nice.

The cover of the book, kind of promises a fight within a man’s mind, between his good and bad sides. One side is represented by a ninja, another one – by a holy man. It is left up to the reader to decide who the good and the bad are, a
Patrick
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
NOTICE: I was given a PDF reviewer copy of this book, at my request and for no cost, on the condition that I write a "fair review" of this work.END NOTICE.

Quite an entertainment, if a bit ragged around the edges in a few places. Mr. Andrews has a way with words, a way with narrative and he certainly managed to pull me into this book. I was chuckling at the misadventures of Professor Tomlinson as he was vaulted to a curious sort of celebrity, etc.
It was a very quick read, and, I'd say a better t
Colin
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I'm being honest when I 1st saw this book in post production I was a little concerned that the Author was a little crazy, I wasn't wrong.

For me this book, Professor Henry Tomlinson and the story itself will be etched in me for a long time to come.

Not only was I in disbelief that this crazy 30 something year old man could write a book, the fact that at times the understanding and psychological belongings of the human mind - explained in finer detail is astounding.

I feel writing this that I w
J. Marshall
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
'Existence is Futile' by Scott Andrews is hilarious. I laughed loudly for most of it, but near the end the humour dwindles, the introspections lengthen and becomes a little boring. Almost immediately after, and out of the blue the book finishes. There’s no ending, no resolution, nothing, nada.

I checked to see if I’d downloaded a sample version when I bought it. It’s the full text, ending ‘and never bleat again.’ This isn’t a bleat, Existence Is Futile isn’t a book, it’s a part, a promise incompl
Camilla
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-ebook
I was really pleasantly surprised by this book!

It is very difficult to review it, as I think the best part of the book is to slowly uncover the story and realise that things are not at all what they seems.

The story of how Henry is treated by his surroundings because he has experienced something out of the ordinary and not least how he is treated as he has decided to give his honest opinion on the question of faith, was quite disturbing to me. It went to show how limited and set most people's min
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Professor Henry Tomlinson, a famous microbiologist and author, is struggling with his grief over his wife Julia. He misses her more and more each day. He thinks it's incredibly unfair that's she's gone and he's left to live alone without her. His two children Michael and Stephanie don't see eye to eye when it comes to their father. Professor Tomlinson appears on tv show to talk about religion but ends up talking about the existence of ninjas instead which confuse a great many people. Will Profes ...more
Valentine
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
*Notice: I received a copy of this book as part of the Read It & Reap program and this is the much delayed review*

This was a pretty quick and easy read. The way it is written is engrossing enough to pull you in. Characters struggling with their mental health or questioning reality are a favorite of mine and the narrative is just mad enough to work. Kinda reminds me a bit of Jacob's Ladder, Memento or the Science of Sleep, except with ninjas. It certainly causes you to reflect, but didn't re
Carol
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Henry is a professor of microbiology and recently widowed. After an appearance on a TV show where he says that God may not exist because no one has seen him just as no one has seen a ninja, he is ridiculed, hounded and attacked physically and in print. He starts to believe he is losing his mind and tries to stop it.

Not really my cup of tea, but I did like the ending very much.
Pacyfa
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok

I am not quite sure how to describe this book, not entirely sure what it was all about. Middle life crisis? Grief process? Futility of life?

The very short chapters that set up usually a humorous incident in the life of the protagonist meant that the novel felt disjointed, I felt like I am reading newspaper clips.

I was disappointed overall, book never really picked my interest at any stage.
Denise
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I mostly love books for their writing style and their originality. This novel is written in such a way that it's lovely to just read and before you know, you've finished the book. The story line is very original as well, which is better than all the clichés we already know. Never seen anything like it before (may be the originality, or just the amount of books I've read so far!)
Gosia
Jessica Gordon
Jessica Brown
Therese
Aug 20, 2012
Scott Andrews has written two novels, a number of short stories, an absurd number of songs, one screenplay and a few articles. He is a member of the international Spandau Synthpop sensation, Yu.