Start by marking “Move Over Darling” as Want to Read:
Move Over Darling

Move Over Darling

*Set in Wales and New York.*

When is it time to stop running?
Coralie Casey is haunted by her past. Deciding it’s time for a fresh start, she sets up ‘Sweet Cleans’, a range of natural beauty and cleaning products, and escapes to Penmorfa, a quiet coastal village in west Wales.

Gethin Lewis thinks he’s about to put his home village Penmorfa behind him for good. Now an interna
Published October 7th 2012 by Choc Lit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Move Over Darling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Move Over Darling

Start your review of Move Over Darling
Zanna Mackenzie
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. At first I loved the setting and the idea of the plot but wasn't quite sure about our hero Gethin. In the early scenes of the novel I quite disliked him in fact but soon the story unfolded to reveal why Gethin behaved the way he did and I started to not just like the character but actually root for him - especially in a particular couple of scenes towards the end of the book!

There were lots of surprises plotwise in this book and I thought it was cleverly written, le
Henriette Gyland
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in the dead of winter when it was cold and grey, and felt incredibly uplifted by this very visual novel. Coralie is aptly named because she was a lovely splash of colour in both my head as well as in the Welsh landscape where the main action of the story takes place. I loved the Doris Day references, and the melodic Welsh intonation just rolled off the page. Highly recommended.
Jules
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Move Over Darling, gorgeous cast of varied characters with realistic and believable conflicts in an interesting setting. A hero to die for without being too perfect and a lovely refreshing heroine who enagaged without the ditzy or feisty cliches.

The subplots and secondary characters are delightful. A thoroughly enjoyable romantic happy ending read.
Christina
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The heroine of this novel, Coralie, has escaped to the country (a small village in West Wales) from a tragedy which was not of her making, but for which she feels guilty and responsible. She doesn’t expect to find love, only perhaps a measure of peace. So meeting bad boy artist Gethin isn’t exactly what she thinks she needs, but once she has, how can she forget him? Falling in love is definitely not on his agenda either, but we all know it strikes when you least expect it. I very much enjoyed re ...more
Rhoda Baxter
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

I downloaded this book when it was Doris Day’s birthday. I used to watch a lot of Doris movies when I was growing up and I could almost hear the songs in my head when I read the book. Besides, who can resist a title like that!

I read Chris Stovell’s previous book Turning the Tide a year or so ago and this book is a more confident work. There are no point of view issues here! Like Turning the Tide, this book evokes the sense of place beautifully with rural Wales and busy New York both painted with
Celia
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the characters and the setting equally - fresh, funny and true to life.
John
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book by Chris Stovell to cross my path. It won't be the last. I really enjoyed Move Over Darling - as the characters and plot moved between a small Welsh village and New York and back.
The author has created some very well developed characters in her main protagonists, Coralie and Gethin, both of them with a large amount of baggage to carry. Her supporting players are also well drawn and their combined lives make for a compelling read. She also has a nice sense of place as well
Richard Masson
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having read Christine's first book Turning the Tide I was really looking forward to this one. Not disappointed. Easy to read and more depth than you would expect in this genre.Can't wait for Christine's next effort.
Sorcha O'Dowd
What a lovely, heart-warming story! 5 Stars! Full review to follow <3 ...more
Rose Maureen
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
move over darling, is a great read, enjoyed reading it very.
Shaifali Vohra
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think that it is a great read with so beautiful characters and so beautiful setting but still I had my little problems with the book due to which I gave one star less.
Linda O'Brien
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a choclit novel, although not a mushy, romance. In fact there are 4 romances going on. It's a lovely read.
Erica Olsen
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, the characters and all the laughs - as well as other emotions - I had throughout.

I might come with a proper review, but I don’t have the time right at the moment.
Moon Love
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Coralie Casey has escaped to Penmorfa from the city and Gethin Lewis escaped Penmorfa for the bright lights of New York City. They meet when Gethin returns to the village to deal with his deceased father's home. Both know they can't be together because of what they want. but they still can't help but be drawn to each other. The villagers of Penmorfa fall into two camps; those who dislike Geffin and his art, and those who do. With the village hall needing serious repair and with a dearth of funds ...more
Anne
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The small Welsh village of Penmorfa is the main setting of the story which revolves around Coralie Casey and Gethin Lewis. Coralie is a newcomer to the village, she has left behind her busy corporate life to set up a small business selling her own range of natural beauty and cleaning products - inspired by her late Grandmother. Gethin, on the other hand, is a native of Penmorfa. He left the village many years before and is now a successful artist based in New York. Gethin has returned to refurbi ...more
The Commuting Bookworm
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Move Over Darling By Christine Stovell

Coralie Casey is haunted by her past, moves to the marvellous close knit community of Penmorfa, where she builds her business of Sweet Cleans, and all natural cleaning and beauty products based on her Grandmas formulas.

Gethin Lewis is an internationally acclaimed artist originally from Penmorfa now residing in New York, who returns to the village to settle his late father es
Rae Kenny-Rife
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A modern romance set in Wales was what led me to this story as I was born there and understand the concept of hiraeth. I listened to this on Audible and enjoyed the accents for the Welsh characters as it reminded me of my mam who long ago passed. That was my favourite part of this book. I'd find the narrator's voice for Ruby the American assistant to be a bit cartoony. (I was picturing the Flintstones.) But all the other characters and narration were spot on.

This is a heart warming story and I'l
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

The title of this book pulled me in because it brought back memories of watching old Doris Day movies with my grandmother. So what a nice surprise to read the first few pages and realize that the main character is somewhat obsessed with Doris, plays her songs, and even has taken in a stray cat and named him Rock.

Besides giving me a trip down memory lane, I also enjoyed the story and it’s wonderful lead characters and their push-pull a
Blodeuedd Finland
Romance in a quaint Welsh village, filled with gossiping ladies.

Coralie is running from her past, what past we do not know, but we learn. Sure it was...something, but I did feel she made too much of a big deal of it. But she is sweet, loves her new place and is just nice you know.

Gehtin hates the same village, he wanted out and out he went. Famous painter and disliked by certain people in Penmorfa. But he also is a nice guy. He had reasons to get out. These two together works, they are both not
Beadyjan
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A nice, readable, humorous in places, chick-lit romance with lots going on, beginning in a small Welsh village where Coralie is trying to build her own small business whilst into next doors holiday cottage moves successful artist Gethin recently come back to the town of his birth.

Coralie is a vintage girl at heart with her 1950s retro fashions and Doris Day playing as the soundtrack to her life, but she has a few darker secrets she wants to keep under wraps but in a small community in Wales tong
Toni Sands
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable read with a delightful heroine who doesn't irritate and who deserves to find happiness. The Doris Day refererences are a great touch and there are some quirky supporting characters. With a hero like Gethin, sparks are bound to fly. So don't think you're getting chocolate box stuff because this novel is way beyond that category.
Lise
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not my favourite chick lit book. I thought the main characters shallow and deliberately over-thinking their relationship, in order to add tension to the story. I often found myself saying to them 'Oh, don't be stupid!'. I liked the stories about Alice and Kitty much better.
Anne
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Really enjoyed this one - good strong characters in Coralie and Gethin, a great sense of place, good twists and turns, and an appropriate ending. Just the way I like my chick lit.

P.S. Rather taken by Rock the cat too!
Leigh Mitchell
I found this one quite slow.
Emma
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book the drama that kept me entertained throughout and the story line was well thought out.
Shaz Goodwin
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review to follow soon!
Bev
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was always fated to enjoy this book, being such a keen Doris Day fan and it was a good, fun, lighthearted read. Very much envied the main character's clothing flair and style!
Wrathsqueen
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
My blog review of Move Over Darling- http://wrathsqueensbooks.blogspot.co.... ...more
Amelia

• Outmatched
  • Love & Freedom
  • Monday to Friday Man
  • The Prenup
  • My Husband's Wife (No Greater Strength, #4)
  • The Five Orange Pips (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • What Happened to Us?
  • The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
  • Christmas at the Chateau (A French Escape #2)
  • Tell Me to Stop (Tell Me #1)
  • The Great Summer Sewing Bee
  • A House of Pomegranates
  • The Nonesuch
  • A Cornish Secret (Tremarnock #4)
  • Heartquake
  • The Text
  • Mr. Gandy's Grand Tour
  • The Lost Lamb on Honeysuckle Lane (Hope Meadows short story)
Setting sail, with her husband, from a sleepy seaside resort in a vintage wooden boat provided Christine Stovell with the inspiration for her ‘Little Spitmarsh’ series of novels, but never cured her seasickness although she continues to sail.
Christine lives on the beautiful west Wales coast where long-distance running helps her plan her plots and inspired her to write her running guide, 'Running

News & Interviews

“There are no guarantees with love,’ her father said, reading her mind. ‘You can’t hold some of it back, like a deposit, so you can get your money back if something goes wrong. You have to give yourself wholeheartedly, whatever the cost.” 4 likes
“By day, it was merely the Lane That Time Forgot; perfect for a bygone age when a pony and trap might have trotted merrily down to the village and back, but less suited to modern requirements and any car without a ‘thin’ button.” 1 likes