Start by marking “The Recipe” as Want to Read:
The Recipe

The Recipe

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"First, combine the dry ingredients. They are what make the cake rise."

Craig has pined for Emily since the fourth grade. Imagine his surprise when, at the start of his junior year, he discovers that she has finally noticed him.

"Then, separately, stir up the wet ingredients."

When Emily returns to school the fall of her junior year, she finds that her old friend Craig has
Published August 6th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Recipe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Recipe

Erica
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Love. This. Book. Here's why: it takes on the first time sexual experience and stays there, giving time and voice to the characters to sort things out.

The Recipe's main characters, Emily and Craig, care about each other, love each other, and explore a sexual relationship. Through their questions, awkwardness, pleasures, and frustration, all grounded in their deep affection for each other, some terrific information is shared along the way, such as ways of talking to each other,
Star
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
‘The Recipe’ is a great book which I would want my child to read (if I had any children). It’s a touching and candid story of how high-school kids learn to deal with important issues concerning sex and relationships. What made this book so enjoyable to me were both the illustrations and the practical language in which these issues are discussed. Rather than being fluffy-bunny and rosily over-romantic, Ms. Dee is pragmatic and straightforward about sex and relationships. She also includes positiv ...more
Carrie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
~I won this book from Goodreads~ This is a great book that very bluntly puts it out there how it is to be in love at 17. I think this is a great book not only displaying teenage love, but it imitates new relationships of all age demographics. You need to know how to communicate with your partner in and out of the bedroom... Or kitchen while making Whoopie Pies!!
Ruth Hill
Permit me to say from the outset that this review was extremely difficult for me to write. I am honestly doing my best to be fair in all that I say, and it looks like I am in a minority on my views concerning this book. I realize and appreciate the reasons the author wrote the book in the way she did. I am a substitute teacher at high schools, and I can see that much of what I am reading in this book is right in line with pop culture. For so many high school students, having sex is as normal and ...more
Enrico Antiporda
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I am of two minds with this book, and am torn between giving it 3 stars or 4 stars. On one hand, I like the simplicity of it, the way it took me to my sentient years in high school when life was simple and filled with the wondrous innocence of youth. On the other hand, I felt that the book may be too simple and lacked the complexity that one feels in those years when everything we experience is magnified, our problems and insecurities seemingly insurmountable and our infatuations seemingly witho ...more
Jody
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many YA books but I found this a compelling and realistic read that brought to life in vivid detail the lives of teenagers and the emotional intensity of a first love. The author depicted teenagers in a way that was believable and imbued them with issues that were surprisingly adult for a YA story. With a POV that gave us insight into both of the sexes and their inner thoughts and fears this was a story that tugged at my heartstrings and put a smile on my face watching a group of te ...more
Karina
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this short novel aimed at young adult readers -- which is certainly not my demographic(!), but as a parent of soon-to-be teen girls, I am often thinking about how on earth I should be communicating with them about romantic relationships, boys, sex and sexuality, and so I jumped at the chance to read this book when a friend recommended it to me as just the sort of thing that she hoped all teens would read and find both helpful and enjoyable.

Fancy that! A book about teen s
Books Hall
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, romance
This book starts off in a sweet way--I love best friends fall in love stories. And this one has a great mix between the romance developing between Emily and Craig and their relationships with the rest of the group. It reminded me a bit of the camaraderie in the old tween series The Babysitter's Club and the Sweet Valley High books. However, the camaraderie the friends enjoy is as far as the comparison goes.

This particular YA pushes the envelope in ways I've not seen before--and it deals with so
Librarian Judith
Reading this book put me right back in high school again, feeling all the emotions of friendship and love for the first time. It's not a book that shies away from the tough subjects: drugs, drinking, and sex. As Craig and Emily share those first stirrings of growing from love to friendship, the readers gets to share those experiences with them.

The book is told in alternating first-person chapters, so we get the picture and the story from both sides--and there were times I wanted to shake both of
Calatasde
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I gave up.. I was going to write after March but I couldn't wait.

OMG! I wish I read this long ago! It was so perfect! Also I couldn't believe they are in junior high only. That's unbelieveable. When I was that age, well I don't remember exactly but I surely didn't thought anything like that.
I like the touch of homoseksualizm. Parents were so smart about their kids and I like those too.
Craig is so sweet but about Emily I can't feel anything about her.
I love the whole story. It's Sweet.
The last t
Keanna Lewis
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would like to read this book, because these two characters are like most in life, where we don't look at that person for in a certain way and as we grow up we realize that that person was in front of us the whole time. I love how Maisy Dee combines love and cooking in such a unique way, and makes the reader want to keep and looking for more.
Jonathan Lippincott
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The young adult novel we wish we had! Very honestly written story of two teens trying negotiate love and sex, and the whirlwind of friends, family and high school all around them. Well written and fast moving, and very entertaining along the way!
Jonny
Oct 30, 2012
Amy
Aug 30, 2012
Maisy Dee
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Csimplot