Start by marking “The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back” as Want to Read:
The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  2,396 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
Everyone knows how all those fairy tales go. The princess gets beautiful, nabs her prince, falls instantly in love, lives happily ever after and leaves her evil stepsisters in the dust.

But what happens when you’re the ugly stepsister and your obnoxiously perfect—read pretty, smart, and, worst of all, sickeningly nice—stepsister is dating the charming, tall, devastatingly h
Published August 15th 2012 by Fire & Ice Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back

The Daughter-in-law Syndrome by Stevie TurnerThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyFathers and Sons by Ivan TurgenevLife with Father by Clarence Day Jr.Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
The Relations
226 books — 35 voters
The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
1,229 books — 410 voters

More lists with this book...

♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I sighed, because that's what unrequited love made you do. Sigh with self-pity.”

This was really cute. I never thought I could enjoy YA again but this book made a liar out of me. This a quick, light, and easy to read. Very funny. But very YA. Yup. Shocker, right?

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, as the title suggest is Cinderella flipped on its head because instead of Cinderella being the heroine, it's actually the ugly step sister who is. Mattie Lowe is your quintessential, manga-loving, sna
Didi
I loved this adorable take on the Cinderella story! Very clever, very sweet and tons of hilarious dialogue. Matilda--Mattie, for short--feels like a bum compared to her gorgeous, sweet, smart and selfless stepsister, Ella. Having been raised together by Mattie's dad since Ella's mom passed away, Ella represents everything Mattie isn't. They go to the same prestigious and rich high school, and while Mattie refuses to conform to the popular crowd, she does have a secret crush on the IT-GUY, Jake K ...more
Tabby
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, e-book
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

Seemed like a book for me

What I thought

OMG Mattie obsession with Jake had me rolling my eyes constantly, I was seriously embarrassed for her. Girl get a life! You have major problems. The secondhand embarrassment in this book was also too much, I wanted to scream! I was face palming like crazy! The only thing good about this book was Ella, I really liked her. The rest is just ridiculous!

Sherwood Smith
Dec 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction
I nearly bailed on this YA romance near the beginning, but I kept reading because someone whose taste often intersects with mine had recommended it. So I figured, the heroine won't make the obvious choice --(view spoiler)and I'm glad I did.

Mattie has two artists as parents--very self-involved parents. One tries
Zoe and the Edge
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats."

This book is so much more than I expected. The characters are wonderful but definitely not perfect. Sometimes I thought they were jerks but they're so alive and multi-dimensional. I absolutely adore multi-dimensional characters. Aaaaa....dore. I loved everything about this book from the plot delivery to the beautiful and timeless concepts of self-acceptance and love. But most of all I was enchanted with Mattie. She just makes everything so interesting
Rose

This book made me so happy. It reminded me so much of my reading experience with some of the other books I absolutely loved. Especially Fat Cat, Sean Griswold's Head and Flipped. If you're a fan of any of these books, you're bound to love The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back.

Mattie has been hopelessly in love with Jack Kingston since the age of 9. But before anything could happen between them he started dating her super nice, perfect stepsister Ella. Not like she believes that a guy like Jake w
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Feb 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
First of all: WHY DOES THIS BOOK HAVE A HIGH RATING??

photo tumblr_m43smursnU1qzleedo1_r1_500_zpsb6bd1515.gif

I want to keep this review short because I’m pretty sure this book killed few of my brain cells. I.FEEL.ABSOLUTELY.NOTHING. It’s like I read the book but I couldn’t connect with the characters even though the story line wasn't that bad. The main character, Mattie Lowe, was insecure, doubtful, with low self-esteem. And I’m sure that this was author’s intention of making her seem that way but personally I found it very annoying. Oh no, Jake loo
Valerie Waters
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness why didn't I read this book sooner?!?! I've had it on my kindle for so long. It was so cute! And clean!! I really liked it.
Olga Godim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Clean, cute and sweet. How often such adjectives apply to YA fiction these days? They all apply to this book, and although I don't belong to its target readership, I enjoyed this quirky teenage romance.
Its protagonist Mattie is the ugly stepsister, or she thinks she is. Very insecure beside her beautiful, petite stepsister Ella, Mattie is steeped in her teenage angst.
• She loves the most desirable boy at school, but there is no way he could like her back.
• She is a talented manga artist but th
Katie W
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Matilda (aka Mattie or Tilly) is a tall, awkward, fuschia haired, manga drawing girl with the perfect stepsister--Ella. I guess I'd always thought of Cinderella's stepsisters as being lazy, ugly, with big noses, big feet, and grating, irritating voices. In this modern re-telling, Mattie does not come off across as that way at all. In fact, I think she is just a very insecure girl. Her mother all but abandoned her when she was young and has very limited contact with her and her dad is a busy, dis ...more
Chrissy
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good one! It was hilarious. I liked the personalities of both sisters. I liked how the book showed growth and development and moral strength of both sisters. Looking forward to reading more by this author!
Mindy
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Very fun and enjoyable book. Adults will enjoy it as much as teens will. My daughter loved it too, even as much as me. Characters were fun. Ella was my favorite.
Kathy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is not your typical young adult teen romance. This book is such a sweet and funny Cinderella story about Mathilda (Mattie) Lowe, a manga artist, who perceives herself to be the ugly stepsister of Ella; the beautiful, perfect, and popular cheerleader.

Eighteen year old Mattie, with her fuscia streaked hair and non-prescription black-rimmed glasses (her crutch of sorts), is a defiant emo artist with with a long list of grievances against her perfect stepsister, Ella. Having never been kissed
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another free kindle book that I bought on whim that turned out to be AMAZING, and possibly one of my new favourites!

Firstly I love the main character - she is perfectly relate able, and I think a lot of girls feel they are in the same position as her, except perhaps without the flawless (step)sister, rich background and of course the pink hair! Mattie Lowe is amazing, and is now a heroine of mine.

The true colours of high school life are shown very clearly and realistically, which again is one
Amber
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I REALLY wanted to love this story...or even like it. However, the heroine is one of the most whiny, insecure, absurd characters I've ever come across.

She is in love with Jake, but why?? When our introduction to the guy is him getting mad and yelling at our heroine because she won't lie for him in detention, and them the very next day he is trying to get her to cheat for him on an assignment, I fell off of the "I love Jake" bandwagon. But wait, Mattie is in love with him despite all of these th
Kelly Oram
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
How super cute was this book? Okay, I am a sucker for a good Cinderella story, we all know that. And I love fun fluffy romantic comedies. So yes, this rating comes totally biased. But still I loved it. So super cute! I loved Tilly. So funny! And, I'm sorry, but how could you not love somebody who was literally named after Jake Ryan? LOL!
Hilary
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-teen
Think Clueless meets Cinderella, but from the other side. It's fun, light-hearted, with nuggets of truth, and contains enough teenage angst to remind older folks how traumatic school really used to be. A great read!
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
-- The complete review is posted in Books Are Magic. --

THIS is what I call a good entertainer. Although I give some books 5 star rating, only very few move on to my 'favorites' shelf. And this book made it.

Sariah, you have got a die-hard fan from the minute I started this read. Thanks, 1000 times thanks for making this book so much fun. I JUST LOVED IT!!!

If there is some book this author is writing, just count me in! I am going to stalk her from now on..

So, this is the gist of the novel:

Storylin
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
This review and more at Sab The Book Eater

Don't let the cover fool you. Seriously. I admit to being skeptical about the book at first because of the cover and the Cinderella-inspired plot. But once I started reading it, I couldn't stop!

I just love how incredibly well written this book is. I liked that the story incorporated a few Cinderella elements into it without letting them take over. I also liked that the story tackled things that teenagers would normally experience: envy, self-doubt, first
Laurie
This is simply delightful! I loved Mattie’s voice in this surprisingly humorous and poignant story that is easy for most of us to relate to. There were many times I cackled out loud at some thought or antic. The pacing was perfect for this book; I just had to keep on reading to find out what would happen next.

Almost as endearing as Mattie is her step-sister Elle. Both girls are strong, independent and creative but pursue different outlets for their talents. Importantly, however, both have their
Heidi
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full of humor and teenage drama that had me laughing.

I really enjoyed The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back. It was full of humor and sometimes laugh out loud teenage drama. Although our main character Mattie had some extremely serious issues that she was dealing with the book was light hearted and a lot of fun. It was great watching her self confidence grow and so fun to see her and her sweet sister Ella become best of friends. I was cheering for our Hero of the story Jake to turn out to
Kathy Jo
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loanable, owned
Why in the world did I wait so long to read The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back?! Oh my heck! It was adorable and I absolutely LOVED it!! Can't wait to read more books by Sariah Wilson!

Sri
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's such an unbelievably cute story, I felt a little piece of me get crushed when it ended.
MJ
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Quick Reads/Fluff Over Substance
Recommended to MJ by: My Sister
Really 1.5

To see full review click here.

My sister had a conversation that revolved around a book the other day. Here's how it went.

Sister: You should really read this book.

Me: I'm tired of fairytale retellings. That Alex Flinn Rapunzel retelling just about killed me.

Sister: Well, this isn't really a fairytale retelling and I think you'd find it interesting.

Me: Is it that good?

Sister: It's not good.

Me: Sister, you know my reading time is limited right now because of the most idiotic test known
Seven Steps
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I loved Mattie and Jake. This was like every awesome eighties movie wrapped up into one big ball of candy. Loved it!
Daniela
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been looking for something light and fun to read. Something without supernatural creatures and post-apocalyptic settings. The minute I saw this on Amazon I knew I'd hit the jackpot. It took me a while to get through it, even though it's not that long, because I had to stop at just about every turn of the page and take the time to roll on the ground with laughter. It was some very serious business.
It's a perfect read for Disney fanatics and hormonal teenage girls. Sariah Wilson captures the
Patricia Reding
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I got a free download of The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back from Amazon. In exchange, I offer the author this, my honest review.

At the outset, let me say that I really do not read that many “romance” stories. I suppose this is largely due to a couple factors—the first being that so often they seem to be the same story, regurgitated with new names; and the second being, I suppose, that I’ve long since outgrown them. But, I’ve been shaking it up a bit of late, reading some of this and some of that.
Iris
Deze recensie is als eerste geplaatst op Carpe Libra

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back was een lekker licht en luchtig boek. Een boek waarin het hoofdpersonage voor de verandering niet zo schuchter of verlegen is. Nee, Mattie heeft geen enkel probleem met Jack precies te vertellen hoe ze over hem denkt. Ook al heeft ze moeite met ademen als hij in de buurt is, kan ze niet stoppen naar hem te kijken en hoeft hij maar zijn megawatt glimlach te gebruiken of ze zegt al ja en amen, ze is en blijft niet

Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
Cinderella has always been one of my favorite fairy tales so I am always on the lookout for interesting retellings of it. I stumbled across The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back a few weeks ago when I saw an ad about it being free (temporarily) on Amazon. Now, I am not one to turn my nose up at free books so I hopped on over there to buy it. And I am so glad I did! This was a real hidden jewel for me and I definitely recommend it to fans of sweet YA contemporaries with a fairy tale flair.

This book fe
Isis
Okay, first reason I loved this book and still do is because it was beyond relatable for me. Okay, so I don't have a stepsister who's ten times prettier than me. Neither do I have a crush on the hottest guy in school(mostly cuz I study in a girls' high school and never really had a chance to) but I've had this one crush and I understood that horrible pain of the fear of not being loved back, but that's what I'mma do in this review, talk about each aspect of the book that I loved.

First, there's t
  • Wedding Hells (Parker Sisters #0.5)
  • Heart of the Ocean
  • With a Kiss
  • Take My Heart
  • All I Want
  • The Grimm Chronicles Vol. 1 (The Grimm Chronicles #1-3)
  • Replacing Gentry
  • Baked Alaska (A Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • A Good-Lookin' Man
  • Fast Forward
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • Not Your Average Fairy Tale
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy #2)
  • Cayman Summer (Taken by Storm, #3)
  • All's Fair in Love, War, and High School (Pullman High #2)
  • Blue Hearts of Mars
  • Volition (The Perception Trilogy, #2)

“Here's the thing. Math and I broke up two years ago, and now whenever we get together it's just weird and awkward for both of us.” 19 likes
“Maybe I should ask Awkward if it wanted to go to the masquerade with me since lately we seemed to be spending so much time together.” 8 likes