Start by marking “The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back (The Ugly Stepsister #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back (The Ugly Stepsister #1)

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back

(The Ugly Stepsister #1)

Everyone knows how those fairy tales go. The princess gets beautiful, nabs her prince and leaves her evil stepsisters in the dust.

But what happens when you’re the ugly stepsister and your obnoxiously perfect—pretty, smart, and, worst of all, nice—stepsister is dating the charming, devastatingly handsome guy you’ve had a thing for since you were nine?

Quirky, artistic and sn
Published August 15th 2012 by Fire & Ice Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyFathers and Sons by Ivan TurgenevLife with Father by Clarence Day Jr.Sons and Lovers by D.H. LawrenceThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
The Relations
252 books — 40 voters
The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaPerfect by Sara Shepard
In the Pink
1,371 books — 449 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back (The Ugly Stepsister #1)
Geri Reads
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I sighed, because that's what unrequited love made you do. Sigh with self-pity.”

This was really cute. I never thought I could enjoy YA again but this book made a liar out of me. This a quick, light, and easy to read. Very funny. But very YA. Yup. Shocker, right?

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back, as the title suggest is Cinderella flipped on its head because instead of Cinderella being the heroine, it's actually the ugly step sister who is. Mattie Lowe is your quintessential, manga-loving, s
Melindam
WARNING - this is a totally self-indulgent and beside the point review!

"O tempora! O mores!" And I might add O juventa! O innocentia! -though there is no way I would take the mickey out of Cicecro. This is added with the deepest respect. :))

Although this is a recently-published book, it still sent me for a long stroll down Memory Lane. It reminded me of the time (long past) when at 15, as a high school junior I had this ginormous C*R*U*S*H on one of the senior guys which obviously was Platonic
Didi
I loved this adorable take on the Cinderella story! Very clever, very sweet and tons of hilarious dialogue. Matilda--Mattie, for short--feels like a bum compared to her gorgeous, sweet, smart and selfless stepsister, Ella. Having been raised together by Mattie's dad since Ella's mom passed away, Ella represents everything Mattie isn't. They go to the same prestigious and rich high school, and while Mattie refuses to conform to the popular crowd, she does have a secret crush on the IT-GUY, Jake K ...more
TJ
Jul 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

Seemed like a book for me

What I thought

OMG Mattie obsession with Jake had me rolling my eyes constantly, I was seriously embarrassed for her. Girl get a life! You have major problems. The secondhand embarrassment in this book was also too much, I wanted to scream! I was face palming like crazy! The only thing good about this book was Ella, I really liked her. The rest is just ridiculous!

Sherwood Smith
Dec 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction
I nearly bailed on this YA romance near the beginning, but I kept reading because someone whose taste often intersects with mine had recommended it. So I figured, the heroine won't make the obvious choice --(view spoiler)and I'm glad I did.

Mattie has two artists as parents--very self-involved parents. One tries
Julie Carpenter
5 glorious and shiny stars for laugh out loud fun, humor, wit and causing my emotions to run the gamut. This is a book for all you teens out there or parents of teens or anyone who wants to just have fun while reading about some high schoolers. Ok, I know what you're thinking...you're past the high school age and so grateful to be on to greener pastures and happily content. Or you're thinking, never again for high school. Well I'm here to tell you that no matter if high school is a distant memor ...more
Zoe and the Edge
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats."

This book is so much more than I expected. The characters are wonderful but definitely not perfect. Sometimes I thought they were jerks but they're so alive and multi-dimensional. I absolutely adore multi-dimensional characters. Aaaaa....dore. I loved everything about this book from the plot delivery to the beautiful and timeless concepts of self-acceptance and love. But most of all I was enchanted with Mattie. She just makes everything so interesting
Kathy
Little did I know that when I first read this book four years ago, Sariah Wilson would become one of my very favorite authors! This was the first book of hers I read and I was hooked.

I'm still coming down from my #Starstruck high and thought it'd be fun to read this one again. Besides, I know this newer edition had some bonus material that I really wanted to read.

For those who know me, I adore Cinderella. It's probably my favorite fairy tale and I always enjoy a good modern retelling. The titl
Rose

This book made me so happy. It reminded me so much of my reading experience with some of the other books I absolutely loved. Especially Fat Cat, Sean Griswold's Head and Flipped. If you're a fan of any of these books, you're bound to love The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back.

Mattie has been hopelessly in love with Jack Kingston since the age of 9. But before anything could happen between them he started dating her super nice, perfect stepsister Ella. Not like she believes that a guy like Jake woul
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Feb 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
First of all: WHY DOES THIS BOOK HAVE A HIGH RATING??

photo tumblr_m43smursnU1qzleedo1_r1_500_zpsb6bd1515.gif

I want to keep this review short because I’m pretty sure this book killed few of my brain cells. I.FEEL.ABSOLUTELY.NOTHING. It’s like I read the book but I couldn’t connect with the characters even though the story line wasn't that bad. The main character, Mattie Lowe, was insecure, doubtful, with low self-esteem. And I’m sure that this was author’s intention of making her seem that way but personally I found it very annoying. Oh no, Jake
Alaina
I loved everything about this book. It was hilarious. It was a super quick read. Oh, and it was hilarious.

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back is obviously a take on Cinderella - but you know, about one of her sisters. Mattie, aka Matilda, is known as the ugly sister. Well, next to her step sister Ella she believes so. However, that's not the case. Mattie just has lots of insecurities (like everyone else does) and you watch her grow throughout this book.

I honestly loved and adored Mattie so freakin
Katie W
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Matilda (aka Mattie or Tilly) is a tall, awkward, fuschia haired, manga drawing girl with the perfect stepsister--Ella. I guess I'd always thought of Cinderella's stepsisters as being lazy, ugly, with big noses, big feet, and grating, irritating voices. In this modern re-telling, Mattie does not come off across as that way at all. In fact, I think she is just a very insecure girl. Her mother all but abandoned her when she was young and has very limited contact with her and her dad is a busy, dis ...more
✶Rachelle✶

**I received a free eARC from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

This book made me do something I haven't done in a long, long time: I finished it in one sitting (with an obligatory coffee and bathroom break, obviously). My apartment was falling down around me, my dog thought he was dying, my cat was breaking every fragile object around him, but it didn't matter because I COULD NOT put this book down!

The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back is a fantastic example of how a fluffy, ligh
Katie
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
I dnfed this book roughly 10% in. Even though I did not finish it, it is handy for me to know why I did not finish it so here I go.

This sounds like it could be a cute book but I just could not stand the MC, Mattie. Mattie is supposed to be quirky and snarky, but I found her whiny and annoying. She certainly has a voice in the text, but I did not find her sarcasm funny, I found it cringey. She spends most of the beginning complaining about her stepsister Ella and how she is The Worst. Her crimes?
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️
This is a typical Highschool drama with a „ugly“ outsider girl who is in love with the hottest guy in school, who has a relationship with her stepsister. Of course they were always secretly in love with each other and after a lot of Highschool drama there’s this super cute moment and then there’s only ♥️.
I mean sure, this is all in all a cliche. But it was cute, funny and entertaining.
I really enjoyed reading it.

Characters ⭐️⭐️⭐️
So there’s the typical outsider Mattie which only ha
Kelly Oram
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
How super cute was this book? Okay, I am a sucker for a good Cinderella story, we all know that. And I love fun fluffy romantic comedies. So yes, this rating comes totally biased. But still I loved it. So super cute! I loved Tilly. So funny! And, I'm sorry, but how could you not love somebody who was literally named after Jake Ryan? LOL!
Mindy
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Very fun and enjoyable book. Adults will enjoy it as much as teens will. My daughter loved it too, even as much as me. Characters were fun. Ella was my favorite.
Valerie Waters
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness why didn't I read this book sooner?!?! I've had it on my kindle for so long. It was so cute! And clean!! I really liked it.
Amber
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I REALLY wanted to love this story...or even like it. However, the heroine is one of the most whiny, insecure, absurd characters I've ever come across.

She is in love with Jake, but why?? When our introduction to the guy is him getting mad and yelling at our heroine because she won't lie for him in detention, and them the very next day he is trying to get her to cheat for him on an assignment, I fell off of the "I love Jake" bandwagon. But wait, Mattie is in love with him despite all of these th
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
Auxiliary Challenge™ 2018 winner for October over at Fallen Into Tijan Books -- Theme: Retellings

The Cheese is strong in this one

I lurve cheese. And I liked this! A lot.

This is kind of a retelling of Cinderella but from the Ugly Stepsister POV. I say kind of cause it really is loosely based.

This was good fluff with look warm action. If you go in expecting battles & drama (like someone that isn't me did) you will be thoroughly and utterly disappointed. Although it is good disappo
Olga Godim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Clean, cute and sweet. How often such adjectives apply to YA fiction these days? They all apply to this book, and although I don't belong to its target readership, I enjoyed this quirky teenage romance.
Its protagonist Mattie is the ugly stepsister, or she thinks she is. Very insecure beside her beautiful, petite stepsister Ella, Mattie is steeped in her teenage angst.
• She loves the most desirable boy at school, but there is no way he could like her back.
• She is a talented manga artist but th
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review

Love. I'm pretty sure you are going to read that word one too many times in this review but it just cannot be helped. This book was so cute and I just loved it.

Here's the thing. I have a teenage daughter that loves to read. She especially loves romantic teenage books but it is so hard to find those kind of books that are clean (no swearing, no sex). I practically become giddy when I find a book like The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back. It is full of all things teenager- school drama, boy c
Bee
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another free kindle book that I bought on whim that turned out to be AMAZING, and possibly one of my new favourites!

Firstly I love the main character - she is perfectly relate able, and I think a lot of girls feel they are in the same position as her, except perhaps without the flawless (step)sister, rich background and of course the pink hair! Mattie Lowe is amazing, and is now a heroine of mine.

The true colours of high school life are shown very clearly and realistically, which again is one
Heidi
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full of humor and teenage drama that had me laughing.

I really enjoyed The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back. It was full of humor and sometimes laugh out loud teenage drama. Although our main character Mattie had some extremely serious issues that she was dealing with the book was light hearted and a lot of fun. It was great watching her self confidence grow and so fun to see her and her sweet sister Ella become best of friends. I was cheering for our Hero of the story Jake to turn out to
Chrissy
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good one! It was hilarious. I liked the personalities of both sisters. I liked how the book showed growth and development and moral strength of both sisters. Looking forward to reading more by this author!
Kathy Jo
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loanable, owned
Why in the world did I wait so long to read The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back?! Oh my heck! It was adorable and I absolutely LOVED it!! Can't wait to read more books by Sariah Wilson!

Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Everyone knows Cinderella’s story, but the stepsister’s is just as good. Sariah Wilson gives an old classic a twist and tells the story from a different POV in The Ugly Stepsister Strikes Back.

Mattie is always left in the shadows of her beautiful and popular stepsister Ella. Ella has the looks, the friends and the guy. That’s right, she’s dating the guy Mattie has crushed on since elementary school. But Mattie is through being Ella’s ugly step
Mayra Biggs
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a light hearted romance. I love how the story develops and how the relationship with her sister gets better in time and how they finally embrace being a family. Is a short book easy to follow and has a happy ending. I love it just like other Sariah Wilsons books.
Kathy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is not your typical young adult teen romance. This book is such a sweet and funny Cinderella story about Mathilda (Mattie) Lowe, a manga artist, who perceives herself to be the ugly stepsister of Ella; the beautiful, perfect, and popular cheerleader.

Eighteen year old Mattie, with her fuscia streaked hair and non-prescription black-rimmed glasses (her crutch of sorts), is a defiant emo artist with with a long list of grievances against her perfect stepsister, Ella. Having never been kissed

• 27 Ways to Mend His Broken Heart (27 Ways, #2)
  • My Not So Wicked Boss (My Not So Wicked #3)
  • 27 Ways to Find a Boyfriend (27 Ways, #1)
  • My Not So Wicked Ex-Fiancé (My Not So Wicked #2)
  • My Not So Wicked Stepbrother (My Not So Wicked #1)
  • Melt My Heart
  • The Nerd & the Quarterback (Jackson High #1)
  • Isabella and the Slipper
  • Tomboys Don't Crush on the Captain (How to Date a Tomboy, #3)
  • The Match Makers (Love Quiz, #3)
  • Girl at Heart
  • Fate and Fortune
  • The Deal Breakers (Love Quiz, #2)
  • 10 Ways to Survive Christmas with Your Ex  (27 Ways #3)
  • One of the Girls (Friendzone Book 1)
  • Przy naszej piosence
  • Perfectly Oblivious (Perfect #1)
  • Heart Thief (Love Under Wraps Book 1)

The Ugly Stepsister (2 books)
  • The Promposal (The Ugly Stepsister #2)