Start by marking “Ethan, Who Loved Carter” as Want to Read:
Ethan, Who Loved Carter

Ethan, Who Loved Carter

By twenty-four, Carter Stevenson has stuttered and ticced his way to debilitating shyness. Although his friends accuse him of letting his Tourette's dictate his life, Carter moves from Los Angeles to a quiet California town. He'll keep his head down and avoid people. He doesn't anticipate his new neighbor, Ethan Hart, crashing into his solitude and forcing him to get out a ...more
Published September 17th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Ethan, Who Loved Carter, please sign up.
Ryan Loveless Well, the thing is, I had this writing teacher once who really drilled in that if a story is in past tense, then all verbs have to be in past tense.…moreWell, the thing is, I had this writing teacher once who really drilled in that if a story is in past tense, then all verbs have to be in past tense. The example she always used was that even though she is a short person, in a story she would write, "I was short." She hasn't stopped being short, but the present tense doesn't fit in a past tense story. I'm feeling a little looser about that these days, but anyway, this is a very long-winded way of telling you that the "loved" is a grammatical choice and does not mean that the love has ended. :) Also no one dies. Also part 2 a lot of people have wondered this, which I never guessed would happen!(less)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to ~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~ by: ☆ Todd
I finally read this book and loved it!

I did not see Ethan as a child. He has no impulse control and sees things in black and white, but the way he takes joy in things, the way he sees the beauty, the MUSIC, in Carter's tics, is amazing.

Ethan is a man, a man who suffered a traumatic brain injury, but still a man, perfectly capable of making his own choices.

Ethan draws people to him. He has so much charm, and he accepts people as they are. Carter is most comfortable at home, away from prying eye
Julio Genao
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
devastatingly beautiful.

also: sappy as fuck.

[he says primly, slowly suffocating to death on his own snot and tears as he weeps]
Vio
Well this was a hard and difficult review to write and unfortunately I will be one of the few lonely voices who had very mixed feelings about the sexual side of the relationship between Ethan and Carter. I am going against the tide of overwhelmingly positive reviews here. All because of one major sticking point, the disparity I felt between Ethan and Carter. The mental age of Ethan was a problem for me and quite disconcerting at times, I tried to see past the differences and also imagined Ethan ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
"Ethan, Who Loved Carter" has me feeling all mixed up. I have split personalities on this one.

Half of me thinks that this couple is adorable. I recognize that everyone deserves love, everyone deserves to be appreciated. Ethan is a sweet, sweet character, and I love that Carter loves him for what he is and what he has to offer. Ethan has overcome so much and has such a good heart that it brought me to tears at times. And don't even get me started on Carter. I loved reading about a character with
MsMiz (Tina)
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
I am hopelessly in love with Ethan and Carter. I want to eat them both with a spoon. The cover, title and blurb sucked me in so fast, right there in the sweet spot....as for the words under the cover:

I think the author did a good job in balancing the mental age and physical age for Ethan. I was concerned, especially when I first met Ethan. Then I wasn't. I got to see an adult who needed extra guidance and push when it came to common sense every day things. When it came to people, relationships,
Lisa Henry
This is a very difficult book to review.

I loved this book, but I was deeply uncomfortable about some aspects of it. Yes, Ethan is an adult male with adult male sexual urges. And no, we shouldn't treat people with acquired brain injuries like they are children, but having said that Ethan felt like a child. His speech, his mannerisms, his thoughts. He had a child's single-mindedness in wanting to be with Carter, which was lovely, but there is such a power imbalance in this relationship that I rea
Cole Riann
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

GOD… what to say about this book? I've been sitting at the keyboard for almost thirty minutes now trying to start. It was really just so wonderful. I started this book knowing only that it was about two men, one with Tourette's and one with a Traumatic Brain Injury. I liked discovering the story on my own, so the blurb suffices as a summary in this case.

The beauty of this story is that Ethan takes everyone around him on a journey, on that includes Ca
Ingie
Written October 1, 2014

4.7 Huge Stars - Sappy or not, this IS a Beautiful story. -
Made me feel all these great warm and fuzzy feelings you long for

I just said something like this to a friend: ~ I'm afraid this story could seem too heartwarming and cozy.

...Because there are no big bad guys here. No new innovatory artistic expression or complicated characters, tricky odd sex, etc. Just a wonderful novel about two young men, life quality impacting defects, family, friendship and tender love.
 photo 55509f47-3f12-4e8e-8b23-5d9bd424095c_zpsc6b511f5.jpg

I
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Do you hear that sound?? It is the sound of my heart being ripped apart, the sound of it breaking into million tiny little pieces. --This is not a quote, that's all me, feeling this messy and consumed rn.

Oh Ethan! You ruined me forever! I'll never be the same again after this book. I loved both Ethan and Carter, but Ethan and his beautiful music that was not music made me sob hysterically.

There were so many things wrong with this book, but ETHAN is like the SUN that pushes every darkness away.
Mandapanda
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: various-romance
Get the tissues out!! This is the extremely heart-warming story of two young men who have a harder life than most of us. Carter has Tourette's which has left him shy and withdrawn, unable to perform the music that he creates for other people. Ethan has a traumatic brain injury that has left him struggling to fit his limitations and black and white grasp of life into the real world. The two meet and a beautifully touching love story ensues... With Great Sex! (Ethan would want me to emphasise that ...more
☆ Todd
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Ugh, I read this before I started writing *actual* reviews, but this book was really, REALLY good and highly-recommended.

Ethan, with the penis, that makes semen. But his momma said not to talk about that to strangers.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

God, there were some really funny moments to be had here.

READ IT. : )
BWT (Belen)
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hurt/Comfort lovers

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I would not have changed, nor would wish anything to be changed, in this story.

K.C. Kelly’s seemingly effortless narration is truly stunning. He brings the characters to life along with all of their emotions and struggles. This is one of the best hurt/comfort books I’ve ever read.

Every time I listen to it I’m grateful for it’s marshmallow-type fluffiness. That’s not to say this is an easy read because I won’t lie to you…it’s not. Carter’s Tourette’s often made me cri
Vivian
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of story that makes me feel like life has sped up so fast and in the never-ending quest to keep on top of things we've lost sight of really important things. We've become impatient and intolerant of those who don't work/act/contribute to our preconceived ideas of right and acceptable. We've become callous and forgotten how important kindness is.

Ethan suffered a traumatic brain injury and was significantly impacted as a result. He's an amazing character. I spent half the story w
Nick Pageant
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is just the best. Sweet, sad, and then sweet again. I'm not going to describe the plot as that's been done. Just trust me and give this a try. I really love Ethan and Carter.
V
I loved this in audiobook as much as I love the book. still a 10 for me.

UPDATED

May I rated this a 10? because for sure it deserves it.

I don't usually recommend books because for me, books are like falling in love with someone, taste in books are in the eye of the beholder.
However, I think everyone should read this wonderful,amazing book.
This story is one of the most beautiful stories I ever read.
It will make you cry (in a good way) will make you laugh out loud, and perhaps like me, It will make
Lilia Ford
Loved it. I understand people's hesitations with the subject matter, but I thought the author handled them beautifully--with respect and compassion and a great deal of subtle insight. Though I did cry, I did not find the book overly sentimental at all. Understandably, there is not much in the way of irony to offset the sweet or emotional elements, but for once instead of being manipulative or cheap, I found those elements deeply true to the story--in fact, though I'm sort of shocked to be saying ...more
Deeze
WOW, rarely does a book leave me so emotionally drained but at the same time leave me feeling so happy.

Ethan and Carters story is a true LOVE story. In no way can I give a articulate review, so what follows is, as usual, my rambling thoughts and feelings LOL.

This story had me smiling and laughing, it had me thinking about people and how a careless look or remark could affect someone, it had me quietly crying at the cruelty of life and at the pure strength of some people when faced with such crue
Lauraadriana
I'm just going to put it out there...This book is sentimental to the extreme, it is sappy, and it is sweet, it's meant to make you cry and get all goofy over two men who are a little broken and different and who get a happy ending the likes of which will make you want to hug a stanger and break into song...ALL those things happened to me.

If sappy annoys you, it may not be for you...Personally I do not mind having my SAPPY buttons pushed if I am thoroughly enjoying a story, and I really loved th
R * A Reader Obsessed *
This book turned me into a total sap.  I admit, it does happen on rare occasions and this pulled out all the stops.

Now I'm not saying this was perfect.  The setup and the harsh reality of both Carter and Ethan's lives looms over them like a cloud, and at times it was quite discomforting. However, it was still just so lovely to see their relationship evolve, and how despite their limitations and disabilities, they found happiness in one another.

What stood out for me of course was Ethan.  He wears
Alona
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so afraid to read that book.

I am SO glad I finally did !!!

This is an amazing story of two amazing young men who magically found each other.
I ached and cried and laughed and loved.

Without the (amazing) sex scenes I would have given that book to every teenager (and not just) around the world to read and learn about how to welcome the difference in others, and how to turn away from hate.
Thank you so much miss Loveless! I will cherish Ethan and Carter forever in my heart.
Susan
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it

It’s no secret…I’m a sap. I like fluffy books that make me happy!

Ethan who Loved Carter was such a sweet, maple-syrup-fest and I loved it!

The subject matter, 2 men, each with their own disorders (Tourette’s and Traumatic Brain Injury), was handled so honestly and openly. The author helps you to move from feeling sad and sorry for the challenges Ethan and Carter face every day and actually jealous of the love they’re able to find for each other and the fierce devotion and sense of protection they
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 rating. Sometimes a book is almost perfect. If you're lucky it makes you feel and it makes you think. These damaged men found each other, and together they became the perfect balance. They became whole together, but also as individual who complimented each other. We would be so lucky to find a partner like that.

This good book is a good read, one who will make you smile, make you laugh out loud shamelessly, sob and slobber to the point that I dropped my glasses, and then couldn't find them.
SheReadsALot
Moving.

Poignant yet necessary.

Even controversial.

I probably could go on for days about the love I have for this book. Stories with main characters like this need to be told regardless of the genre. You can tell the amount of passion and research that went into "Ethan, Who Loved Carter" from the first few paragraphs. Carter who has Tourette's falls for his next door neighbor, Ethan who has Traumatic Brain Injury. The first thought I had once finding out Ethan's back story was, "How is this one go
Alice
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bittersweet love story of Ethan and Carter.

Pretty cool to learn a bit about Tourette syndrome, and the possible effects of head trauma, while having an enjoyable read.

Carter hadn't realized he was grinning. He hooked his arm around Ethan’s shoulders. “I was just thinking—moving here was the best decision I ever made.”
“Well, yeah,” Ethan said. “Because you met me.”
Definitely recommend for you to read, it’s quite informative, and is also really sweet!

I received a copy of Ethan, Who Loved C
Emma Sea
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
NMB = not my book. I like the MCs fine, it's written well, the story is good, but it's not the kind of escapism I look for in my m/m.

Also, I have an illogical and unreasonable dislike of the word penis. Dick, prick, schlong, tool, tummy banana, johnson, weiner, skin flute, throbbing shaft, or, my favourite, cock, I have no issue with. But penis: *shudder*. There is a lot of penis in this book.

EDIT: Giving this deeper consideration, I think I don't like it that much because of the constant presen
DarienMoya
August 2018

5++++ ⭐s Always and Forever!! So beautiful and always makes me teary eyed (well full out bawling 😭)

So amazing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All my feels right now! This book is so stunning and empowering to all those who suffer from a disability both neurologically and physically. As a mother of a child with a neurodevelopmental disability I hope he finds someone to love him as much as Ethan, loved Carter.

Just overall fantastic and my heart is filled with joy!!
Jewel
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jewel by: ☆ Todd
Ethan, Who Loved Carter isn't a book I would have normally picked up, and that makes me sad, because I would have missed out on something beautiful by not reading it. Thanks, Todd, for prodding me, ever so gently, into reading this book. I loved it! Ethan and Carter both just grabbed onto my heart and wouldn't let go. What a gorgeous story.
Heather C
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather C by: Lauraadriana
Not really sure I can find the words to express how much I loved this book. But I can say it was AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL and touched my heart in so many ways.
Mona

And the story...

description

RECOMMENDED WITH ALL MY HEART MATES XX
Mandy*reads obsessively*
This book has so many things going for it, it's an emotional and heartbreaking and hopeful story.
Ethan's life has taken such a turn after his TBI and every time he mentions his life Before with a capital B it brings back to the forefront 'what could have been'.
But Ethan doesn't live his life like that, he is outgoing and friendly, open and honest and in some ways very childlike in his interactions and views.
Carter has Tourette's and keeps very much to himself to avoid the unwanted and often unki
Dreamspinner Press: Ethan, Who Loved Carter by Ryan Loveless 1 29 Sep 17, 2012 06:04PM
  • Speechless (Speechless #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • Sidecar
  • When One Door Opens
  • The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle, #3)
  • The Coil
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree (Sugar Tree, #1)
  • The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Disasterology 101
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
  • Dance With Me (Dancing, #1)
  • Scrap Metal
“Everyone has their own music; they just don't realize it.” 38 likes
“Ethan seemed to revel in Carter's most hated tics. He'd set them to music. The light bounce of notes, starts and stops, of Ethan's song, it was the music of Carter's Tourette's, and Ethan had made it beautiful. He'd made Carter feel beautiful for having them.” 16 likes