Start by marking “The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy” as Want to Read:
The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy

The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy

One man saved the British Royal Family in the first decades of the 20th century - he wasn't a prime minister or an archbishop of Canterbury. He was an almost unknown, and self-taught, speech therapist named Lionel Logue, whom one newspaper in the 1930s famously dubbed 'The Quack who saved a King'.

Logue wasn't a British aristocrat or even an Englishman - he was a commoner a
Audible Audio
Published January 11th 2011 by Quercus Publishing Ltd (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Speech, please sign up.
Helen Christopulos The movie was close to the book. this story is dear to me. I was little child sitting on the floor perusing the books. There was an encyclopedia and I…moreThe movie was close to the book. this story is dear to me. I was little child sitting on the floor perusing the books. There was an encyclopedia and I got interested in it. Looked at photos and saw photo of King Edward VIII. I called out, "Who is this guy?" My parents were relaxing on the sofa. Mom crocheting and Dad reading the paper. The negative facial expressions said a lot. Dad explained in English (we usually spoke Greek). He was King before the current King but gave up the throne for a woman who was married and divorced 2 or 3 times. Dad managed to end the story without getting into details unfit to tell a little girl. I have always remembered the closeness and attention I received those moments. Dad died years later but too soon. I was only 18. I love the movie and the book. Also, I became a public music teacher. I helped many students learn to sing without stutter or monotone. King George was helped with similar techniques. I love the story. I own the movie and the book. He became Duke Watched the Crown. The former wanted back to have a place in the British government. Queen Elizabeth did a good job of telling her uncle in diplomatic terms, "get lost." the former king with Wallis was not to be trusted.(less)

Cathy
4.5 stars. I expected to skim the book to see what the real story behind the movie was, where the movie differed from reality, and maybe a bit more info about Logue. But I ended up reading every word! Let me be clear though, this is not the story of the movie. It's a shame that the cover has a picture from the film. I know it's good for sales, but it's misleading for people who will expect a similar narrative story. The movie was the dramatization of some of the events in the book. It covered a ...more
Diane
I wanted to read this because I had really enjoyed the movie version and was curious how much of the events in the film had been fictionalized. Surprisingly, the movie was fairly accurate.

Mark Logue, who is the grandson of speech therapist Lionel Logue, used family scrapbooks, journals and letters to create this account of Lionel's experience helping the Duke of York (later known as King George VI) with his lifelong stammer. The two men became friends, which seemed to comfort the Duke as he trie
Megan Baxter
Have you seen the movie with Colin Firth? Okay then. Well, that's that review done!

Okay, I'm mostly kidding. And actually, the book is a bit different from the movie, but for reasons that I can entirely understand. However, in the series of incidents, they are very close, although Geoffrey Rush certainly came off as more eccentric in the movie than Lionel Logue does in the book.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read w
BAM The Bibliomaniac
A man with a debilitating speech impediment may refuse to communicate regardless of his role and class in society. Being thrown onto the throne of the British empire immediately puts a spotlight on his mouth and what comes out. He has no choice, can tender no excuse. The support system George VI found in his wife and Logue was invaluable. What progress; no just progress, but healing. George VI became an upright, respected, and progressive leader of his generation and a positive role model for hi ...more
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Simon Vance
3.5***

Subtitled: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy
That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but Lionel Logue certainly seemed to have saved at least one monarch. At the urging of his wife Elizabeth, the Duke of York (known to the royal family as “Bertie”) began to see speech therapist Lionel Logue for help in overcoming a lifelong stammer. His father, King George V, insisted that his sons begin to take on more royal responsibilities, and the introduction of radio
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Unlike most books-turned-movies, the book The King's Speech was written after the movie came out. It is a fascinating read. Mark Logue records the story of his grandfather, Lionel Logue, and Logue's relationship with King George VI. Their friendship was a lot more involved and intricate than the movie portrayed. Logue frequently references primary sources of the two men from speeches, journal entries, and letters.
I highly recommend this one!
Heather
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
two and a half stars
-as the author stated the movie was a biopic, not a documentary and this book served to related how Logue's life intersected with the life of the King based on his papers and diaries
-it's a dry, chronological summary of Logue's life and has the added benefit of suppling his reactions and feelings about the King. It was clear that both men respected one another and had a unique and generous friendship.
-after i saw the movie i read about 1500 pages of biographies on the queen m
Lynne Stringer
I loved the movie The King's Speech, having only heard a little prior to that of the struggles King George VI had with speaking. This book tells the story in more detail, creating a fascinating timeline for a man most people seemed to expect would be a failure as a king, who ended up inspiring Britain during one of the country's most trying times.
It was fascinating to learn many of the facts surrounding what took place and to get a peek at the relationship between the king and Logue.
This book
Jenny
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most interesting bits were the speeches during the war, and the cuts the Logue's made - including getting a sheep to eat the grass instead of using the petrol or old-fashioned lawnmower!
Wendy
I loved the movie The King's Speech, which is why I bought this book. Now...I still like the movie, but I don't really love it anymore. This is one of those times when the real story outstrips the movie version by lengths, I think. Of course, not everyone will agree with me, but that's all right. Differences of opinion make the world interesting, as that one fellow said. Can't remember who.

Anyway, I really, really liked this book, in spite of the dry, documentary, 'so-and-so wrote this, and so-a
Jane (PS)
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, favorites

What a great story - made more impressive/interesting by the fact that it is true. I'm not a history, royalty or war buff, with limited interest in those topics, so perhaps this is part of the reason why I found this personal history so absorbing. I loved the very detailed and intimate writings about some of the 20th Centuries most notable figures, include Edward and Mrs Simpson.

I loved the portrayal of Bertie and Elizabeth. Some of the earlier information was pretty confusing. Not only
Erni
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
The book begins with the story of the Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue's childhood, interspersed with the King of England's childhood backstory. Even as a royalty, he was mocked due to his stammer, which made him shy and anxious to be in the public eye. But when his older brother, who was King at that time, had an affair with a married woman and subsequently exiled by making his decision to later marry that woman, King George VI could not stay away from the public eye anymore. His treatm ...more
Danette
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this biography of Lionel Logue and his most famous patient, King George VI.
I listened to the audio version.

2019 - A biography
Sarah Beaudoin
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure which came first, the movie or the book (even the author's introduction is ambivalent on this point) but each version of The King's Speech tell a slightly different version of the same great story. King George VI had a terrible speech impediment and after no success with countless doctors, enlisted the help of Australian Lionel Logue, a self taught speech therapist and elocutionist, to train him to speak correctly.

The book The King's Speech is written by Lionel Logue's grandson, Ma
Cassandra
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lionel Logue ist ein Sprachtherapeut, der mit voller Liebe und Hingabe sich um seine Patienten bemüht und sein bekanntester Patient ist der spätere britische König George VI.. Was als normale Patienten-Therapeuten Beziehung beginnt, wandelt sich im Laufe der Jahre zu einer tiefen Männerfreundschaft, die voll gegenseitigem Respekt ist.

Wer den Film ‚The King’s Speech‘ gesehen hat, wird sich vielleicht für die reale Geschichte hinter der Kinoversion interessieren und wird hier bestens informiert.
Kathryn
A wonderful read! It was different to the movie - both in the span of time (the book covered a greater period than the movie) and in the way that things happened. It also had more of a biographical slant about the life of Lionel Logue than the movie had. I was interested to read that Lionel Logue was convinced that the Duke of York (as he was when he first consulted Logue) had a stammer as a result of a physical issue - faulty breathing - with no psychological root at the cause and treatment inv ...more
Isabel
That was a lovely quick read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and although it, once more, showed how much films are changed to make things more dramatic, it still made me feel warm and fuzzy about the film.
Oh, and I had to make myself remember over and over that CF was *not* the king but the one whose photos and moments on film I've seen often enough. You see, I was forever picturing CF while reading the book.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for those who watched the film already and loved it.
Espec
Mª João Monteiro
Livro interessante, que relata o acompanhamento do rei George VI de Inglaterra desde antes de ser rei pelo terapeuta Lionel Logue, relatado pelo seu neto, a partir de fontes reais. Retrata mais do que o filme e é bastante interessante, dando uma imagem abrangente da família real. Para mim, que falo todo o dia para tanta gente, é ainda mais próximo.
Mom
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and full of interesting information. I learned a lot about the second World War that I didn't know and clarified things that I did. It's a great companion to other books that I have read about World War II and the Royal family.
Joya Cousin
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the disappointing reviews by others, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's been years since I watched the eponymous movie and therefore don't remember it well enough to do a comparison. It appealed to my sense of pride in work, building relationships and courteousness, all of with Lionel Logue embodied. I don't doubt that King George VI found his persistent follow up annoying at times, but his reign was made all the better for it.
David West
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Much more here than in the movie. A little slow at times but overall an enduring real-life story.
Evikulik
Film kralova rec patri k jednym z mojich najoblubenejsich, preto ma kniha ako taka zaujala a som rada, ze som jej dala sancu. Vo filme boli udaje samozrejme trosku okresane a preto som rada, ze vdaka knihe som si zas rozsirila obzory. Kniha vychadza hlavne z denniku, ktory si viedol samotny Logue a aj jeho manzelka. Na zaciatku sa viac dozvedame o samotnom Loguovi, nasledne aj o kralovskej rodine a od okamihu zoznamenia Logua s Bertiem sa dostaneme az k ich smrti. Kniha podava citatelovi velmi d ...more
Marc Maitland
Having seen the film recently, and having been thoroughly moved by it, and enjoyed every minute of it, reading the book of the same name seemed an obvious choice! I was not disappointed.

Firstly, the book is not a screenplay for the film, nor is it simply a biography of Lionel Logue, C.V.O., the Australian speech therapist who helped King George VI overcome his speech difficulties and became a loyal and valued friend in the process. The book seems to have been devised at the same time as the film
Vismay
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘The King’s Speech’ tells me that appearances matter, more so – when it is the question of British Monarchy. An inspirational figurehead, the king is supposed to rally the support of his subjects around important issues of the day – for that a skill of oratory is must. And the job of the ruler becomes all the more difficult, if he is ruling half the world and has an awful stammer. ‘The King’s Speech’ is the story of how Lionel Logue, ‘a common colonial’, aids George VI in getting over his stamme ...more
Ray Campbell
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is not a novelization. This is a biography of Lionel Logue by his grandson. Inevitably, the book is also a study and biography of King George VI. The story begins in Australia during the 19th century when Logue was born. Logue's story is interesting since he travels the world before settling in London and beginning the speech therapy practice which ultimately leads to his work with the king. The bulk of the book covers the years Logue worked with the king since it was also the bulk of his l ...more
Beckbunch
If there were half stars, this would be a 2 1/2. I think it's an interesting story with compelling characters, but it felt like it would have been more appropriate as an article rather than book. I did find myself rooting for the king, as I had an aunt that has struggled with stuttering all her life, and was glad for his success. The book just felt like it dragged on, especially since most the the encounters between Logue and the king were exactly the same---they run through his speech many time ...more
Autumn
Wow. I did not see that coming. enjoying this memoir while finding that strength that often fails me to keep going.

It was enlightening to read how Bertie found his own voice, by conquering his own shadows. I also admired the tenacity of his wife Elizabeth and the infallible faith that Lionel transmitted to the ppl that needed most.

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying. .."I will try again tomorrow."
Jamie Collins
This is a nice supplement to the movie, which is an excellently dramatised version of the story but necessarily takes liberties, especially with the timeline. The reality is slightly less exciting, perhaps, but it’s still a poignant tale. If you’ve already read a biography of George VI then there’s not much new information here, but the book is worth reading for its focus on his speech, and for the story of Logue and his interaction with the royal family.
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible story - the unlikely bond between these two men and the ways they helped each other was truly touching. I love the movie, but the book added so much more depth and context. At times, I was overwhelmed by the details and dates, but for the most part it was clear to follow. If you have any interest in the monarchy, WWII, speech therapy, or even just unlikely friendships, I recommend this book.
Valya Tomova
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
Беше ми доста интересно, любопитно и увлекателно. Истински герои, истински събития. Невероятна книга!
Sherlock Homies: Introduction 7 7 Apr 15, 2015 06:28PM
  • The Queen Mother: The Official Biography
  • Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Victoria, From her Birth to the Death of the Prince Consort
  • Catherine the Great
  • The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952
  • Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy
  • Young Henry: The Rise of Henry VIII
  • Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • Nella Last's War: The Second World War Diaries of 'Housewife, 49'
  • The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
  • Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States That Never Made It
  • This Just in: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV
  • Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King
  • Mrs. Keppel and Her Daughter
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
  • The Matrix
“When the fresh patient comes to me the usual query is: "Will I be able to speak like the King?" and my reply is: "Yes, if you will work like he does." [says Lionel Logue]” 6 likes
“Every public speaker likes his hearer to imagine his oratory as an unpremeditated gift of nature, and not the result of prolonged and patient study [Lionel Logue said]” 2 likes