Start by marking “And What Comes After a Thousand?” as Want to Read:
And What Comes After a Thousand?

And What Comes After a Thousand?

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This quiet, gentle, heart-warming book is meant to be shared ? a book first about love and friendship, and then about loss. When Otto is buried, lots of people come. Lisa has never seen some of them before. Everyone talks in hushed voices, and they all look terribly serious. ?Don't whisper like that!? Lisa shouts at them. ?Otto doesn't like whispering!? But the strangers j ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about And What Comes After a Thousand?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And What Comes After a Thousand?

Brittany White
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm not so sure many children would get into this book if it were read to them. I found it a touching story about the little girl and her grandfather, but I don't think I would go out of my way to read it in a class.
Jenna Harris
Summary:
This is a story about a young girl and dear elderly friend who passes away. She has many wonderful memories with him and learns how to begin to deal with his loss.

Writing Trait:
Ideas - The book develops a main idea about life and death in a way a young child can understand. The events throughout the book focus on the topic and teaching the audience.

Mentor Text:
I do not think I would read this in my classroom because it can be a very sad subject. I would not want to make any students u
Christine S
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kid
I read this book to my 5-yr-old daughter who has lots of questions about death and thinks about it, maybe too much. She lost a beloved grandma and cried for a year and misses her so much. This book brought her comfort (me, too). Finally, a children's book about death that doesn't mention god or heaven! Thank you Anette Bley! Also, the artwork is gorgeous and whimsical.
Sandy Brehl
This could be a five star for the "just-right" audience or the "just right" need, but both are critical. With much more text than most current PBs, and a uniquely gentle but kid-friendly illustration style, a girl and her grandpa explore "big" ideas, ending with a conversation that concludes: Otto is like numbers....he will never end.
Craresources
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
PASSING AWAY

Conversation starter to talk about death. - Gladys
Natalie
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-book
this is a heart felt book about a little girl trying to understand that while people die, memories last forever. The artwork is great with pencil sketches around the border and pastel color pictures
George
K - 3
Counting
Friendship
Alexandria Hiam
A little girl comes to understand that memories live beyond death. Interesting illustrations. Okay book.
A
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a good book to read to a child who has had someone pass away. It is subtle with the message, but is clear.
thekapkids
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 8 yr old does not like to talk about death, but he really enjoyed this sweet, gentle book. Lovely.
Shannon