Start by marking “City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  627,052 Ratings  ·  25,242 Reviews
Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 453 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about City of Ashes, please sign up.
k-bookee The series isn't the same as the movie. Jamie Campbell Bower is a better Jace Wayland, both in looks and acting. Let's all hope that there will be a…moreThe series isn't the same as the movie. Jamie Campbell Bower is a better Jace Wayland, both in looks and acting. Let's all hope that there will be a second movie with all the former actors reprising their role. Just love Lily Collins so much. ^^(less)
Haley Its because Hugo means Hugin. In City of bones when Hodge had Hugo/Hugin attack Clary to get the Mortal cup we shortly found out after that Hugo also…moreIts because Hugo means Hugin. In City of bones when Hodge had Hugo/Hugin attack Clary to get the Mortal cup we shortly found out after that Hugo also meant Hugin.(less)

Patrick
This book cost me around 600 dollars.

When I'm traveling to and from conventions, I use the airplane time to catch up on my reading. A lot of times this means I'm taking the opportunity to read books that have been popular for a while, but that I haven't gotten around to. I feel like I should be aware of the landscape.

Anyway, on my way home from Seattle, I had a layover in Minneapolis. I grabbed this book so I'd have something to read while I was eating dinner in the airport.

So I ate dinner, a
John Egbert
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of City of Ashes, Fans of The Mortal Instruments
John no longer uses this account. I have no patience for this bullshit any longer. There are many ways to state an opinion that is in disagreement with this review, and so far, many of you have FAILED to do so. I will no longer tolerate disparaging comments. Rethink them if you don't want me to delete them.

Thanks,
John's Sister

PS: John is not male. She changed her gender status so she would not receive misogynistic comments, or gendered insults. JFYI.

I will tell the complete and honest truth. An
SKB
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Emma Giordano
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I guess 9th times the charms because I loved this book way more than I ever had. I think in my adolescence, I spent a lot of my time comparing City of Ashes to other books in the series. This reread, I viewed this story as an individual entity, which allowed me to better appreciate the complexities and conflicts that arise in this sequel. I had such a fabulous time rereading book two and cannot wait to continue rereading the rest of the series!
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Emma Giordano
4.5 STARS ❤

I keep sitting down to write a full (read-long) review of this book because I enjoyed it so much, but I struggle so hard on writing my thoughts for sequels in a long running series. I know I'm not supposed to include spoilers in them (even though this book is older than both of my children's ages combined), so it's tough to talk about a book to readers involved in The Mortal Instruments. Either you've already read the book and likely are not looking for any additional insights into th
Candace
Picking up where 'City of Bones' left off, 'City of Ashes' doesn't waste any time before plunging you right back into this supernatural world. This book was packed with action and adventure. With ever-changing information and plenty of teenage angst, this cast of characters tries to stay one step ahead of Valentine, making for a highly entertaining read.

Still reeling from the news that they're siblings, Jace and Clary struggle with their feelings toward one another. Awkward doesn't begin to desc
Cara
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Victoria
I didn't go online, hardly talked, didn't eat (ok so I did eat), didn't watch TV just so I could finish this book. So basically I spent the whole day reading and I'm just bursting at the seams to read the next one.

The tension in the book is so great that you feel like the characters are literally going to break from the strain. Clary's mother is still in a coma and her relationships with Simon and Jace are fragile. At one point you just feel so down for everyone. Clary seemed to be getting in th
Elle
Well that was awkward.

*** SPOILERGRAM***

But before we head down the path of outrageous incest, I will say that City of Ashes was better than City of Bones. The pace was an improvement on that of the latter. Simon was still awesome as ever. I also felt that Ms Clare branched out a wee bit with her creativity with the Vampire transformation stuff, (except that I knew it was coming thanks to a certain Filipino minx who spilt the beans in a comment. You know who you are).

As for the abomination that
shady boots | #20gayteen
I can't do it. I just can't.

Screw this series.

My problem with this series isn't the writing. I'm not one to judge books by the writing since I am pretty terrible at it myself. My problem also isn't exactly the story, which I probably could like. Sort of. I think. I don't know. But anyways, my main problem isn't any of that.

It's the characters.

How can you continue with a series when you feel nothing but pure hatred towards the characters? They all just infuriated me to no end. Jace Wayland especi
destiny ☠ howling libraries
#1 City of Bones ★★★★☆
#2 City of Ashes ★★★☆☆
#3 City of Glass ★★★★☆
#4 City of Fallen Angels
#5 City of Lost Souls
#6 City of Heavenly Fire

I was originally going to give this installment 4 stars like I did with the first one, but after I thought about it for a while (er… the two freaking months it took me to get around to reviewing it, that is), I ultimately decided that I couldn’t really justify it, no matter how much I loved the ending. You see, my problem with Ashes is that, while the last 20%
Beth
"It’s not just that someone belongs to you, it’s that you give yourself to them.”

A year long, shadowhunter buddy read with my fellow Will Herondale lover? What’s not to love!

It’s with a heavy heart that I’m giving this 4 stars don’t get me wrong I love CASSANDRA CLARE so much. She’s 1000000000% my favourite author. This was initially a five stars for me when I first read this book, but there’s this nagging feeling in me that really really hates the whole Simon - Clary - Jace triangle, and Clary
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Family Matters Stars

photo 9774471_zpsxjbpt6ny.gif

Spoilers

Short and sweet so I can get to the next book. Wow City of Ashes was action packed and full of teenage angst. And I loved it! I feel this book focused a lot on Simon and all the changes that happen to him. I liked seeing the character growth in this book for Clary, Jace, Simon, Alec, and Izzy. I really didn't like Maryse, I felt like she really let Jace down. Poor Jace it was like no one loved Jace. Everyone turned their back on him or let him down even Clary. All
Rose
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm beginning to understand why people prefer Jace Wayland to Edward Cullen.

I have to OH SNAP the ending. Is it March yet? I want City of Glass NOW.
Vi Vi
Mar 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
"That when he thought, really thought, about the fact that he might never get to kiss Clary again, he wanted to die or hurt or bleed so badly he’d go up to the attic and train alone for hours until he was so exhausted he had no choice but to pass out, exhausted."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"He’d have bruises in the morning, bruises and cuts and scraped skin and if he could have named all his injuries they would have had the same name: Clary, Clary, Clary."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

"If there had ever been any ho
Pearl Angeli
Reread: January, 2016
1st Read : July, 2014

This series continues to amaze me! I loved it the first time I read it and even gets better the second time around. There are lots of crazy and hilarious moments in this installment. The characters are all engaging and the way they interact really entertains me. I especially love Simon and Jace's banters here. And that part when they went to The Seelie Court-- my favorite part! Although Jace kind of disappoints me with his moody attitude, I still can't r
Cait • A Page with a View
Ok first things first, kids -- the whole Cersei Clary and Jaime Jace thing is straight up weird. Like even if he turns out to not be her brother (nobody tell me anything), they still think they're siblings right now and are really not making a strong effort to not be in love...

It's just unnecessarily drawn out and got kind of old. Like so much of the plot is this odd sexual tension:
"The gold in his eyes had turned hard, metallic. She wondered for a moment if he might actually spring at her, wha
Reader-ramble
Jan 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Do not touch this book if you value your brain cells.
The following review is filled with spoilers, whining, complaining, ranting, and the destruction of everything people love about this series. Please read responsibly.

When last we left our intrepid heroes, Clary "Mary Sue" Frey discovered she was part of a super special group of people called Shadowhunters. (That should be two words, by the way.) She falls for shmexy jerk-face Jace, only to find out that he is her brother and that they are the long lost children of stock baddie, Valent... Oh, I c
Avis

JacexClary:

Plot:

Me:

The end.

(Maybe one day, when I grow up and become a real girl, I'll write a proper review)
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know I just now finished the second book of this series, but it feels like such an accomplishment every time I finish a book. I've seriously fell in love with this series so much. More than I ever expected to and I'm hoping I can stay with this series until the end since most people have said they stopped more or less halfway through. But so far, I've been so wrapped up in the Shadowhunter world that I don't see myself stopping any time soon! I'm so excited to see what else The Mortal Instrume ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
For the love of God! Will someone kill Valentine already? He's getting on my last nerve!

Okay here I am having read the second book again. I have one more to go and then I will be reading the ones I haven't read yet. As I was going along I could remember it so that's a good thing!

Oh and I will be adding SPOILERS for those that haven't read it yet. And look at my beautiful UK edition ♥

Although, it would be a better picture if I would actually get up and make a pretty scene but I digress.

So Simon
Ashley Nuckles
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a reread for my Mortal Instruments read-along!

I liked this one so much more than I remember and thought I would when I reread it! So much happened that's so crucial and just YEEESSS
Kate ♡
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Actual Rating: 3.75/5

This book was so much better than the first in my opinion, but I could be thinking this way because my vision of the first book in the series was clouded by my vision of the movie, but, nonetheless I really enjoyed this book a lot more.

I rated this book a 3.75 stars, so that there's room for higher ratings as the series goes on (and hopefully gets better)

City of Ashes got the 4 stars because it had me constantly thinking about the book, and f
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
WOWEEEEEE. Well that was WAY better than the first book. I am FEELING some FEELS.
P
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“If you really love something, you never try to keep it the way it is forever. You have to let it be free to change.”

City of Ashes (CoA) follows right after what happened in book one. The tension between Jace and Clary is tortuous, I can't even fathom how deep the rupture grows, but it sure affects everyone in this book. I appraise the story that it gets better, the twists and narrative sounds intriguing from the start except Clary. I don't know what makes her annoying like that, she can't st
Alexa ❤️
5 Stars!

'A pair of werewolves occupied another booth. Arguing about who would win in a fight: Dumbledore from the Harry Potter books or Magnus Bane'
(Page 406 - Clary Fray) - I would love to know the actual answer to this!

CoA picks up right after the drama of CoB; Clary and Jace still struggle for their feelings for one another, Jocelyn is still unconscious and Valentine is still at leather and very much evil!

'Other crack teams get bat boomerangs and wall crawling powers; we get aquatruck
kazually
*i just realized how most of the main character kids have nicknames... also Clary is legitimately so overly dramatic. and can the book stop talking about how fucking handsome Jace supposedly is??

this book felt kinda messy in a way (that was definitely not the right word) where things happened for this reason but it ended a different way.

Example: the Seelie Queen requested a meeting with Clary, Jace, Simon, and Isabelle (also can we just think about how a Queen of a powerful race wanted to meet w
Jamie
****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CITY OF BONES****

This is an outstanding follow-up to City of Bones. In City of Ashes, we find Jace and Clarey dealing with the personal fall-out from City of Bones, Alec and Isabelle not as visible but are still included, Simon still mackin' on Clarey but finds his own bit of trouble, and Magnus Bane cementing himself as the flamboyant, awesome warlock I knew he would be. And then there's the psychopathic Valentine....grrrr....

"You think she'll be able to
Jessica Olson
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was much better than the first. And I love Simon.
Steph Sinclair

*sigh*
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact that my taste in YA novels are changing. Maybe it's because since reading the first MI book in 2009, I have read so many better book series. Whatever the reason, CC just does not impress me. The writing is bad and she has poor use of similes.

I didn't feel the love Jace felt for Clary. If anything, I felt downright embarrassed that Jace was pinning over his "sister" and pretty much not caring. All the while, Simon is in the corner about to be s
Zoe Wilson (yerabooknerdzoe)
I'm so happy I decided to reread this series. I forgot how much I loved it the first time I read it. Unfortunately, I also forgot just how annoying Clary could be, but you can't win 'em all.
i hate this series 11 60 Jul 10, 2018 05:29PM
The Book Was Better: CITY OF ASHES 7 99 Apr 27, 2018 08:09PM
Empty Shelfie Boo...: City of Ashes 1 11 Feb 28, 2018 05:55PM
The Left-Overs: City of Ashes: Jan 28 - Feb 17 3 8 Feb 27, 2018 05:16PM
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Lord of Misrule (The Morganville Vampires, #5)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2; Nightshade World #5)
  • Elixir (Covenant, #3.5)
  • Ash's Letter to Meghan (The Iron Fey, #3.6)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Eclipse (Sweep, #12)
  • Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
12282 likes
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
10530 likes