Start by marking “Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1)

Winter Queen

(Fairy Queens #1)

A dying man delivers a terrible warning: a civil war has begun between neighboring clans. As healer and clanmistress, Ilyenna is tasked with keeping the wounded refugees alive and her people fed during a seemingly endless winter.

But when the war moves to the heart of her village, Ilyenna looks into her enemy’s eyes and sees more than just cunning. There is also lust—lust
Published June 19th 2013 by Starling Publishing (first published March 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Queen, please sign up.
My Life He tries to r her but doesn't and it kind of skims over "inappropriate scenes" and just mentions it. Theres no descriptions if thats what ur asking

Start your review of Winter Queen (Fairy Queens, #1)
Vee
Jan 09, 2013 marked it as undecided
Pretty, pretty cover but fae stories have never done me any good.
Amber Argyle
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If I'm allowed to have a favorite book baby, Winter Queen is it. I'm still a little in awe of the fact that I wrote it. It's multilayered and the world building is phenomenal.

Here's the first page:

Ilyenna’s horse danced nervously beneath her, the animal’s hooves clicking against the snow-covered stones that coated the land like dragon eggs. Reaching down, she patted her mare’s golden neck. “Easy, Myst. What’s the matter, girl?”

“There.” Her father pointed at the base of a forested hillock not f
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
I came here expecting to love it more after meditating, but my opinion remains the same.

It is obvious the author worked on the world the story was built on. It wasn't confusing at any point, and that is something i am grateful for. I might not have liked what a tiam is, but it's not Amber Argyle's fault, i don't think. Regardless, i liked this world. Even if women were what they were (this is the most common thing in the past, and i imagine this takes part around the middle agaes, more or less.)
Jilly
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, faeries-fae, y-a
What a gorgeous cover!! Oh my gosh! So pretty! Buy it for the cover!

The story is focused on a girl named Ilyenna, who is the female leader of her clan since her mother died. She is also a healer, which basically means herbalist in this case, not magical. They haven't even figured out penicillin or opiates yet - bummer. So, a war comes along and she has two major things happen: a fairy encounter, and being taken prisoner. She has to try and survive her captivity, and it's pretty brutal, while the
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've read Amber Argyle's other book, Witch Song, and enjoyed it, but I admit that I really wanted to read this book based entirely on the beautiful cover. After I read the synopsis, I wanted to read it even more!

When Tryon attacks, slaughters, and enslaves members of Argon clan, the Shyle clan is shocked. The clans have a treaty among them and until now, there has been no fighting amongst the clans. The Shyle clan is friends
Obsidian
Oct 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
If we are going to go by covers I would say that this book is a five star read.

I am sad to say that I will not be getting the next few books and short stories that make up this series by Ms. Argyle. I loved The Witch Song series. Though there were a few problems here and there with it, I saw a lot of potential in Ms. Argyle's writing and wished for more books about the land that the characters inhabited.

In Ms. Argyle's new series, we follow 17 year old Ilyenna and her clan (the Shyle). We fin
Michelle
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Winter Queen is the first book in the young adult fantasy series, call the Fairy Queens, by Amber Argyle. (and as a side note, you can get the first book for free by signing up for Amber's newsletter, HERE) The book is very fast paced and very action heavy. There were things that I really, really enjoyed about Winter Queen, and things that didn't work out so well for me. Overall, I did enjoy the book, but it was a bit
Deborah Andreasen
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ilyenna is fatally wounded when a neighboring clan attacks her village. Instead of letting her die, the winter fairies heal her and make her their queen...but it comes at a price. She'll lose everything. Her humanity, her emotions, her memories, her family...her love.

Instead, Ilyenna is taken captive by the brutal future clan chief, Darrien, who makes it his personal mission to break her, body and soul.

I was a bit surprised by the feel of this book. I sort of thought it would have just a "fairie
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, review, fantasy

After the Shyle and there ally clan Argon are attacked by another clan the Tyron, 17 year old Ilyenna is mortally wounded by the Tyron’s Clan Chief’s son Darrien, but she is healed by the winter fairies and is offered the ability to become the Winter Queen. Unwilling to leave her family she declines this offer only to sacrifice herself as an Tiam, practically a slave, to Darrien to save her clan, along with other wo
Callie
Beautiful cover. Awful book. The plot was all over the place and all the characters were just sketches. Also I wish the author had picked one concept to follow, either the clan plot or the Fairy plot. Neither were done particularly well note did they go together at all.

Basically this was just a boring mishmash of underdeveloped storylines and flat characters.
Duchess Nicole
I have cover lust just like everyone else!

Review to be posted in the upcoming November 2013 issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Sheila Goicea
"She's been marked," came the voice of the first. "She's already one of us."

This book was a solid 4.5 stars. The characters were well developed, SO much was happening in the plot, and I was at the edge of my seat from cover to Kindle cover. Speaking of cover, I will be buying the physical copy of this book because...JUST LOOK AT THAT COVER! My bookshelf needs it (along with the rest of the series.)

The plot was so tumultuous, and pulled at my heartstrings every page. Our protagonist, Ilyenna,
Linda
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy hell and the seven freaking dwarves. Well. I did not really dare to expect that the contents of the book will be as good as the gorgeous cover-art. If you look at the cover there is just so much expectations to live up to. But I was not disappointed. This was brilliant.

Let me explain to you why. First of all the background. While there are numerous fairy stories and it is fairly popular to divide them into either light and dark or summer and winter (or both), then you do not really get the
Kathy
The synopsis and cover totally drew me to this book. After reading the Amazon sample I was hooked and wanted to keep reading. It’s one of those books that is hard to put down, you want to keep reading to see what will happen next and how everything will work out.

I liked our heroine Ilyenna, she puts others needs above her own. She doesn’t back down and tries to do the right thing. She has it pretty rough throughout the book and I admired how she was able to stay strong. I also liked our hero Ro
Ri v
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
* i received a free copy for the blog tour*

Ilyenna loves her clan Shyle, and as a high lady she is skilled in medicine and is ready to supervise her clan whenever the man are absent. One day whilst in the woods, they discover a dead solider form the neighboring clan of Argon, that was attacked by the Tyrans. The peace between the clans had been long lasting so for someone to break that piece treaty, something serious must have happened. Her father and brother leave with all the men in the clan t
Kinga
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I was prepared to give this one 4 stars throughout reading. Sometimes I felt the violence was overwhelming, and other times the fantasy just plunged in uninvited. It was long before explanations were given.
The most horrific thing is that the ending felt like an unmistakable closure. Of course that the market will make every story into a trilogy, so By the Balance I hope the sequel won't disappoint me.
Plot
It feels like the fairy part was quite unnecessary. But it did blend in after a few pages,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Free to read on kindle unlimited right now. On sale for 99 cents on regular kindle for a few days
Melissa
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of violence and torture, unsatisfying ending after all the cruelty, but hoping it gets better...

I couldn't sleep one night, so I read this entire book in one night and morning. Due to the lack of sleep and the intensity of some of the events in the story, I think I got too deep into it and was slightly traumatized afterward, feeling everything that the main character experienced and barely survived through. Normally, that would be high praise if a reader becomes part of the story. In this
Daniela
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I was excepting something else to be honest. I read lots of 5-star reviews on this book and I really wanted to give it a try. It sounded intriguing and I was given the chance to review it so I instantly accepted, but the story felt flat to me. Not that Winter Queen wasn't an okay read, but that's just all it was for me, an okay-read. There wasn't much holding me on by the end, the characters were interesting at the start, but they never really grew on me, and the plot...

It had potential, but it
Jessica
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Review cross-posted on my blog.

I cannot stress enough how much I loved this book! I am so happy I came across Amber during the YA Scavenger Hunt! I was going through checking out everyone's blog and saw I could get an e-ARC from her and of course I couldn't pass it up! I also saw that it was about faeries, so ya know. :)

This was such a fast read for me. The pacing was perfect and never once did I feel like Amber rushed the plot to get from one point to another. The pages just flew by for me and
Lynn Worton
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is the first book in a YA Dark Fantasy series. I loved it!

First off, I would like to say that I love the cover! I am not usually attracted to a book on just it's cover alone, but I think it totally suits the book completely.

Ilyenna is a wonderful character. She is the daughter of the Chief of the Shyle clan, and also their new clan mistress. I really liked her. She is only seventeen and is unsure ab
ѦѺ™
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It is the life of the crystal, the architect of the flake, the fire of the frost, the soul of the sunbeam. This crisp winter air is full of it." - John Burroughs, Winter Sunshine"

the relative peace and quiet of Shyleholm is shattered by the traitorous attack of the Tyrans against the Argons. Ilyenna and her clan prepare themselves against any eventuality. during a raid, Ilyenna is fatally wounded but winter fairies come to her rescue, heal her and offer her a gift. Ilyenna is invited to become
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Ilyenna was not able to escape her attackers that left her for dead. Winter fairies chose to heal her offering her a power over winter that she is not sure she wants. She would have loose all memory of the life which she knows in order to rule over winter. She has things to do before she could even consider their request. Like, literally staying out of the hands of her enemy and saving her village.

While in captivity she is reunited with a childhood family friend Darrien. Could Darrien be as att
K.G. White
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked it, I really did...mostly

The whole thing kinda of started me in the mindset of Lord of the Rings, at least that is the kind of setting I pictured, without the hobits, elves, gandalf, etc. (just the human parts). I liked the love story, and the sequence of action was intriguing and kept me hooked, wanting to know what comes next..

Problems:
The entire fairy aspect was very confusing and muddled, never really got completely fleshed out for me.

The winter and summer thing was confusing and it
Brenda Lane
Can this baby be one of those hyped up books everyone loves? please?

What a FANTASTIC ride this has got to be one of the best fantasy books i've this year nah actually one the best books I've read period.

This book had everything magic,romance,angst and a wonderful lesson, the Main character was the best heroine I've read this year, She was so strong and driven and compassionate and despite her situation she handled everything like very few people would and For me I think it just leaves you feelin
Claire
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hmm.. this was an interesting one. Kinda of a mix between Vikingesque culture and fairies and the cover is gorgeous.

It follows Ilyeena, the wise woman of a tribe who, after being mortally wounded, is given a chance to become the queen of winter instead of dying. She says maybe to the offer in order to help her people, immediately gets captured and then spends the rest of the book looking for freedom and getting the odd bit of help from the fairy realm.

Okay I did enjoy the book, it was well writt
Christoph Fischer
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Winter Queen" by Amber Argyle is the beginning of a fantasy series, introducing a world of several clans and a council that is meant to keep the piece. Ilyenna is of the Shyle Clan, and the story begins with a messenger from the neighbouring Argon clan, informing her and her people of an attack by the Tyrans.
The men leave for battle, which unhinges the balance. It is small observations and ideas about harmony, balance and nature that make this story so beautiful and endearing.
Ilyenna still hol
J.J.
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm one of the lucky people who got to read this before it was published (disclosure: the author is a great writer and a wonderful friend). The book is a page-turner that also has real depth. What I loved the most was the main character's way of taking responsibility for other people, often at great sacrifice to herself. She is a true leader.

Readers of Argyle's other works should know: the tone of Winter Queen is darker and more grown up. But you're gonna love it.
Mikaela G
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like the whole story concept, the whole ice queen, and the clans. The story was very dramatic, and I liked that. I liked the faries, I never would have thought of snow, or flowers as faries until I read how they were described in the book. I also like how she went back for him in the end, I think that was a nice touch.
InD'tale Magazine
What an exciting world this author has built!

Read full review in the November 2013 issue of InD’tale Magazine.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 04, 2015 08:26AM
The Canonical Winter Queen Cover Worship Topic 1 14 Feb 25, 2013 02:07PM

• Rising: After the Thaw (The Thaw Chronicles, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Cold Queen
  • The Billionaire's Mistress Complete Series
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Queen's Ransom: The Golden Bulls of Minos
  • Of Sand and Snow (The Wings of War #5)
  • Of Beast and Beauty (Daughters of Eville, #1)
  • Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)
  • ギヴン 4 [Given 4]
  • Strange Sweet Song
  • Ghost House (The Ghost House Saga #1)
  • ギヴン 2 [Given 2]
  • ギヴン 3 [Given 3]
  • Love★Com, Vol. 1
  • ギヴン 5 [Given 5]
Bestselling author Amber Argyle writes young-adult fantasies where the main characters save the world (with varying degrees of success) and fall in love (with the enemy). Her award-winning books have been translated into numerous languages and praised by such authors as NYT bestsellers David Farland and Jennifer A. Nielsen.

Amber grew up on a cattle ranch and spent her formative years in the rodeo

Fairy Queens (4 books)
  • Summer Queen (Fairy Queens, #2)
  • Daughter of Winter (Fairy Queens #6)
  • Winter's Heir (Fairy Queens, #7)