Start by marking “A Hollow Dream of Summer's End” as Want to Read:
A Hollow Dream of Summer's End

A Hollow Dream of Summer's End

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This is no children's tale...
This is what nightmares are made of.

All suns must set. All seasons must end.

For three fifth-grade friends, this summer's last sleepover takes a dark turn when a game goes wrong and a creature as old as time itself rises from the dark woods to claim them.

Trapped high in a treehouse by a twisted monster below, their friendship is tested as they
Published August 14th 2012 by Greywood Bay

To ask other readers questions about A Hollow Dream of Summer's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hollow Dream of Summer's End

Ana
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: r4r
Being the first time I read anything by Andrew Van Wey, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The first third or so of the book had me fooled. It seemed like an almost bucolic account of how 3 friends about to enter fifth grade spend their summer together and it was pleasant enough. That feeling of not a worry in the world, the adventures, the comradeship, the typical dialogues of 12 year olds, how their personal problems did not seem to matter because that summer was going to last forever. Or ...more
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If John Carpenter directed Stand By Me...

The summer is coming to an end. Aiden, Brian, and Freddie, three fifth graders and best friends, are determined to make the most of it. On the final weekend before the start of school, the group of kids end up staying the weekend at Aiden's father's home; a massive house on a large wooded lot that just happens to have the coolest tree house three twelve year olds could possibly hope for. Built on a massive tree, the tree house is thirty feet in the air co
Scot
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I picked up this book to see if I would enjoy the writers style before I read Foresaken. What I read was an interesting story, one that kept my attention. I will thoroughly enjoy Foresaken if it is written anything like this short story was. A relatively short book about three boys and their backyard adventure with things that go bump in the night.
Eustacia Tan
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Last year, I reviewed Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey. In my review, I mentioned that I (somewhat stupidly I admit), started reading this at night just before exams. The end result? I didn't sleep much because I was hiding under the covers reading (this romantic image being spoilt by the fact that I was reading from my iPad).

And just recently, he emailed me to ask if I was interested in reading his new novella A Hollow Dream of Summer's End. Honestly, I was touched. I'm just an unknown reviewer yet s
Mathew Whitney
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads' First reads program.

A Hollow Dream of Summer's End is a novella which begins Andrew Van Wey's A Hollow Dream series. It stands quite well on its own, and the novel which follows it in the series (A Hollow Dream - Eternal Autumn) may be read without reading this one first, though reading them out of order may spoil much of the story of this book.

Summer's End begins as a coming-of-age story about three boys exploring their home town during their summer vacat
Jenn (Booksessed)
Having read Andrew Van Wey's novel Forsaken last year and loving it, I was very excited to read this novella A Hollow Dream of Summer's End. I expected a somewhat strange story that would freak me out and probably leave me unsettled. That is definitely what I got.

I normally have trouble relating to male protagonists, especially young children, but had very little trouble with this one. The dialogue is very much what I expect from young boys to the point where it was quite amusing. As the novella
Elaina Nightshadow
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I will preface this review by stating I was given a free copy by the author for the purpose of reviewing it.

I loved the way the novella started out. From the first few pages I found myself transported back to childhood and the magic of the "last day of school". I experienced a vicarious pleasure in the description of the boys' various games, exploits and explorations, and was immediately immersed in their lives and their fun plans for the seemingly limitless summer ahead of them.

About halfway
Leesa
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

This is a terrifically scary book about three boys who are terrorized during a sleepover at the end of summer.

Hollow Dream is a short read, less than 100 pages. It is idyllic in that way that a kid's summer always is, with a little dash of growing pains, a whole lot of boys adventuring together, while insulting each other good naturedly along the way.

About halfway through, this book takes a terrifying turn, thrusting the boys in a horrify
Esme
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Drei Freunde verbringen das letzte Wochenende vor dem Ende der Sommerferien bei einem von ihnen in einem Baumhaus. Was wie ein großartiges Abenteuer und Spiel beginnt, verwandelt sich bald in ein Grauen, aus dem es kein Entrinnen zu geben scheint.

Aus einem Abwasserkanal schleicht sich ein abscheuliches Monster, das tickende Geräusche macht und den Jungen unter ihrem Baum auflauert. Nach einer Weile wird es immer unwirklicher, (wenn man denn die Existenz des Monsters in die Wirklichkeit des Roman
Julie Scott
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting psychological thriller/horror story that is about coming of age - in the worst possible way. Children in a backyard tree house are terrorized by a monstrous creature they cannot identify. They are unable to get out of the tree house and across the yard to their home without making themselves easy prey. The friendships are put to the test as they become aware of how serious the situation has become - and even more so when they realize that it is well after dawn, and the sun ...more
Grammar*Kitten
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact that the protagonists of this story are children, Andrew Van Wey has done a fantastic job of making this a totally adult story which made me sit back and think 'wow' - in several places.

The relationships between the characters are (painfully, at times) real, and the story moves along at a great pace as an introduction to A Hollow Dream - Eternal Autumn where many of the novella's themes are examined further.

A great little read, and a great introduction to Andrew Van Wey's work i
Rachel
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novella. It was fast paced and exciting. I would have given it five stars, but there were a few errors that had me confused until I realized that the characters were referred to by the wrong names in a couple of places. It threw me for a minute, but once I got it straight in my head, I really enjoyed the story. This is one of the rare stories that I didn't have it figured out by the end. :)
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved Andrew Van Wey's Forsken so I was super excited to read A Hollow Dream of Summer's End. A quick read that will keep you looking over your shoulder while reading it! Four stars ONLY because of some grammatical errors, such as wrong words/name and missing words. I can't wait to read more from this author!!
Monique
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved the ending.
Vanessa Perez
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Was suspenseful but took a really long time to get there. Pretty expected ending/scenario. The "bad guy" was incredibly surreal.
WendyB
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kindle
Short but amazing.
Charles
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A dark coming of age story

Three adolescent boys enjoying their last day of summer takes a dark turn... in the vein os ‘Stand By Me’ ‘It’, and ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’, ‘A Hollow Dream of Summers End’ is a delicious read.
frkvinter
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I had the hardest time getting into Andrew's writing. It was a short book so I finished it, but I didn't really get a good picture of what was happening :/
Randy M.
A Hollow Dream of Summer’s End is the opening novella of a planned tetralogy themed around the four seasons of the year. The protagonist is a young boy named Aiden and the story opens with Aiden and his friends on the last day of 4th grade, getting ready to head into that eternal bliss of childhood that is summer vacation. Before summer’s end, that eternal bliss transforms into a supernatural confrontation with evil.

The first half of the novella is a description of the boys’ summer. Their bicycl
Alana Voth
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
"This one is for my childhood friends. We never left each other to the monsters. We grew up. We became them." A Hollow Dream of Summer's End.

Aiden, Freddie, and Brian have just finished their fifth grade year in school. The summer promises weeks on end of sleepovers and camp. When summer ends, they'll have to start all over as the low men on the totem pole, sixth graders in middle school. Freddie has a tendency to lose his temper. Brian stutters. Aiden struggles to come to terms with his parent
Doseofbella
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Hollow Dream of Summer's End By: Andrew Van Wey
Copy Courtesy of Librarything Reviewed by : tk

Thrilling new twist of a monster under the bed.

Summer vacation for three 5th grade friends in about to begin. Aiden, Brian, and Freddie are best friends, and can't wait to start their adventures. The boys love their bikes, and enjoy the freedom of travel during the day. Their nights are even more exciting. They have a variety of scary movies, game boy games, and numerous sleepovers.
A huge drawback is A
Susan
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2014
I'm not sure which audience the author was targeting with this story. It involves 5th graders so I would assume it is that age group which would be reading it. This being said, it is not a typical horror story that us baby boomers were used to back in the day with our Scholastic books.

This had (view spoiler), and the blood and gore were in abundance. If I read this when I was 12, I'd probably have nightmares for a month.

Whi
Randy Evans
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first of what the author says will be a four part series. It's about a 112 pages long and is about childhood's end. I thought that meant it was a "coming of age" story, it not. I didn't know it was the first of four parts neither but that happens. While the story is a good one and I will look for the other three parts as they come out I think this would had been a much better read if the author would had put it all in one book instead of leaving you hanging most likely for years for ...more
Melissa
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was one book that while reading it I couldn't believe how some of it was unfolding. Found my heart racing in places and could feel the anxiety of the characters. Horror is not my usual genre but I am glad I read this unique and wonderfully written book.
Althea Wynne-Davis
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow - I was thoroughly hooked by this horror novella. It reminded me a bit of Stephen King (It, maybe?), something about looking through the sentimental lens of childhood and the sinister lurking within the seemingly carefree and innocent landscape. The ending...was iffy for me, but otherwise, I do recommend.
D. Krauss
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like novellas. The Mist, Fahrenheit 451, good stuff. This is a good one, too, the only think keeping it from 5 stars being the ending, which I just didn't like. S'kay, the rest of it is good scary stuff. Will make you think twice about backyard overnights. In fact, take this along the next time you're out camping and want to stay up all night. You definitely will.
Nev Murray
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Good old fashioned horror. 3 kids trapped in a tree house by a scary monster. This will make you jump. It will make you wonder what that noise was and if you're not careful you may even wee yourself. I cannot recommend this book enough. 5 stars!
Julie Donovan
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazing

Even though I am a grown woman, this story brought me back to endless summers, child's play and life's cruelty, then gutted me straight into a nightmare. Great writing, I found a great author here. You won't be disappointed.
Tina
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story that every monster fan should love. A quick read, and a wonderful read
Caroline Glorieux
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?"~Poe
Sometimes, I wonder.
And yes, I will see you on the other side because this story is not over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dracula Rekindled: Part 1 of 2
  • Desolation: Stories
  • The Love of the Dead
  • Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales
Andrew Van Wey was born in Palo Alto, California, spent part of his childhood in New England, and currently lives abroad where he doubts his sanity on a daily basis.

When he’s not writing he’s probably hiking, playing video games, or sleeping with the light on. He considers gelato and pizza to be a perfectly acceptable meal, and shorts to be business casual if paired with a scarf.

He lives in Northe