Start by marking “Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin” as Want to Read:
Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin

Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

The results? A comic romp through
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 53 pages
Published August 6th 2012 by James E. Venn; 1 edition

To ask other readers questions about Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin

D. Peach
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Thoroughly Charming Read!

Johnny’s Grandpa, gnarled and stern, sat hunched upon the stair.
Johnny sat upon his knee and clutched his teddy bear,
And quietly searched for mousetraps in his Grandpa’s greying hair,
Which, moss-like, curled around them both and down the banister.

The Seven Teddy Bears of Sin is a novella-length story in verse about young Johnny’s adventures as he vanquishes seven teddy bears, each representing one of the seven deadly sins. It starts with Grandpa’s warning about the
Brittany
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I started reading this book more than a two years ago. I began reading it because I was part of an online community for which the author posted a link to this book, telling us it was free for a few days and he'd love if we could read and review it for him. Well clearly I failed at that, since I let time get away from me. But today I started where I'd left off (54%) and finished it up.

I have to say I'm impressed with the author's ability to rhyme a story this lengthy without sacrificing meaning.
Angie
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Synopsis (taken from Amazon): "Johnny Meryevan has been left in his elderly grandfather's household in Victorian London. To terrify the little boy into quiet behavior, his grandfather warns Johnny about the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin. His plan backfires. Johnny sets out to defeat these terrifying monsters, and the teddy bears are only too pleased to take up the challenge.

The results? A comic romp through the serious business of childhood: governesses, cakes, cabs, toast, tea, goldfish, nutcracker
Idyll
Feb 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I should have stopped reading this book when Johnny jumped onto the Lust bear's back with measles and rode to the Georgian mansion where "grown men come to play". It's an experience that leaves him horror-stricken. Fortunately, the women there don't believe in "underage debauch", and the men take pity on him when he tears up. They call a cab and send him home.

I had to continue to read the book (why?), and let this creepy chapter be outdone by another disturbing one where Grandpa receives a dist
Paul
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I personally really enjoyed this book. I thought the rhyme was catchy and entertaining. It made for a very good read. Every chapter is amusing in its own way. I really enjoyed Johnny's thoughts and behavior. Of course, I am a bit partial to things from an older time so the setting in the mid-1800's was right up may alley. Another thought I wanted to mention is that even with the mature theme and content, for the most part the book is entertaining and spooky in an Alfred Hitchcock sort of way. It ...more
Erin Zarro
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that I've never read a story in verse before, so this was something totally new for me. Also, I am a poet and I'm normally not fond of rhyming verse. HOWEVER - James Venn's poetry was written well. It wasn't forced, and it told the story beautifully. I commend him on this undertaking - it's tough to write rhyme without having a constraint of a story, and making it sound natural and logical besides. Brilliant.

Also, I enjoyed the story very much. I found myself eagerly turning the pages
Christoph Fischer
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Johnny and the Seven Teddy Bears of Sin" by James Venn was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. I was reluctant because it is written in rhyme and because of its Christian theme.
However, the rhyming is very well done and accessible and lends the story a warm and lovely character.
The theme of the seven deadly sins was also done in a very inoffensive way. Bar a mentioning of judgement in one of the last verses that sat rather uncomfortable with me the themes of pride, sloth
Alicen
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was given a book for an honest review.

I really liked this book. It's a novella, so it doesn't take a really long time to read. It's well written and although I usually don't like the verse style of it. James made it work. The Christian theme isn't overwhelming, which I liked. Overall it's a really good book if you want a short read.
Gabriela
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A comic work through the serious business of childhood: cakes, governesses, toast, tea, goldfish, nutcrackers, attics, bordellos, bears and temptations abounding.
Brad Bayliss
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2014