Start by marking “The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights” as Want to Read:
The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insights

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  615 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Over the last decade and a half there has been a steady stream of new insights that further illuminate the dynamics of emotional intelligence. In this eBook, Daniel Goleman explains what we now know about the brain basis of emotional intelligence, in clear and simple terms.

This eBook will deepen your understanding of emotional intelligence and enhance your ability for its
Published April 26th 2011 by More Than Sound (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Brain and Emotional Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brain and Emotional Intelligence

Rubina
A short but very fascinating read. Goldman covers the how emotional intelligence and the brain are linked; the different sections of the brain that are affected by stress, afflictive emotions, and how practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques can help.
Harrison
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Daniel Goleman introduced the concept of emotional intelligence to psychology. This book presents some new insights into the relevant neuroscience discovered during the last several years. So while I looked forward to reading it, I wasn't expecting it to be only 78 pages. The chapters are very short and to the point, but a more comprehensive treatment would be welcome.

Goleman summarizes his emotional intelligence framework (self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relation managem
Andy Cyca
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro es una interesante introducción a la investigación de Goleman, sobre la forma en que pensamos y actuamos, sin recurrir a tecnicismos complicados. Si bien puede abrir los ojos a muchos mitos modernos sobre el pensamiento, es desgraciadamente muy corto y no ahonda mucho en los temas cubiertos.

En general es una gran lectura introductoria al concepto de IE pero carece del peso que quizá algunos buscan para aplicar por completo este paradigma
J
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While part of the title claims 'new insights,' The Brain and Emotional Intelligence just summarizes what Goleman has already put out in some of his other books. It is a quick thumbnail synopsis and therein lies its value.
Debbie
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do all educators love reading about brain research? Emotional, social, cognitive learning - you name it, our little ole brains actually have the ability to learn and grow in just the ways we need. Take that cell and think it, think it, think it--like watering a plant. Encouraging news :)
Charles
A quick read. Useful information, not too technical. The pictures of the brain didn't do much for me. I am inspired to learn more about some of the topics covered.
HastyWords HastyWords
I loved this book for several reasons.

It is well organized, is a fast read, and is very easy to understand. I am not an expert in the field but I am very interested in learning how and why we have the emotions we do. This book explains the basics without a ton of scientific jargon. When you are done reading a chapter you understand the bottom line and can apply it to your personal life.

I am very glad I read this book and have bookmarked several pages to revisit.

On a personal note I was diagnos
Judy
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short review of brain research as it bolsters emotional intelligence insights. Might be boring for someone who is keeping up with this but just right for me. Borrowed this Kindle book (though I have a Nook) from a friend and that worked easily and well. (I read it on the Kindle app on my Ipad.) Two weeks was plenty of time to read this short book. However, I highlighted notes and now can't retrieve them from Amazon.
Jay
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Goleman describes research and conclusions on emotions and psychology. Very little self-help, but what’s there is a short how-to-change-habits discussion, covered quite well in other popular books. The benefit to this book is that it is short and concise; there aren’t a lot of digressions. Otherwise, it seemed quite familiar. If you are well read on emotional intelligence, decision making, habits, and the like, this is an unnecessary summary.
Ann Oliveri
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insights from 30 years of research, connecting the dots from neuroscience to emotional aptitude.
Drick
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
Very short book (73 pages) outlining some of the most recent research on brain function as it relates to social and emotional intelligence
Illimar Kaasiku
Very insightful and short overview on the subject of emotional intelligence! I find it's a good introduction to Goleman's work.
Kali
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish this was better, since Goleman's Vital Lies, Simple Truths was terrific. But this seems more geared for corporate coaches than for psychologists or other researchers.
Dan
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too brief to be informative enough as an introduction. And if it's only meant to give a taste of other books on the subject of EI then it should at least be free.
Christian Jespersen
This book isn't bad, but a I found it to be a hard read, and not as captivating as I was hoping for.

It felt like reading one long medical journal (I am not a doctor, and have never read a sinlge medical journal).

But besides the difficult language, the book is a treasure of knowledge. The book focuses more on the downside of low EQ, which makes a bit depressing to read, but still very important.

Combine this book with a stoic mindset, or simply just read Meditations, you have a solid platform to b
AnaMaria Rivera
This is more an update and series of articles, (nicely written), on some of the latest research on Emotional Intelligence and its neuroscience relationship. It provides a nice neuroscience 101 reading for those who are curious, would like to learn more bit don't want to navigate through cumbersome language.
Tina
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This is a short book with a few interesting facts in it.
Anu Ojaranta
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in Finnish... "Aivot ja tunneäly: uusimmat oivallukset" on päivitys kirjailijan aikaisempaan kirjaan "Tunneäly" vuodelta 1995. Tässä opuksessa käsitellään hyvin selkeällä tavalla tunneälyn vaikutus luovuuteen, itsensä johtamiseen, stressiin, flow tilan luimiseen, empatiaan ja myös peilineuroneiden merkityksestä. Mindfulness otettiin esille helpottamaan reaktioita. Mielenkiintoinen pätkä oli aiheesta sosiaaliset aivot verkossa ja siitä, miten me sähköisessä viestintätilanteessa ilman visu ...more
Fed
This is a short update on how new findings in neuroscience are shaping what we know about brain functions in the context of emotional intelligence. It is good, but I see it more as a marketing strategy than anything else.

This author has written a number of books that on emotional intelligence and after reading a few of them, one gets the feeling that the material is always the same, but with a different twist (same topic in different environments). Emotional intelligence is a great theory, I am
Charmin
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. People who are strong in the achievement drive continually strive to improve; they’re relentless learners.
2. Competencies like managing emotions, focused drive to achieve goals, adaptability and initiative are based on emotional self-management.
3. Chronic worry keeps the amygdala primed, so you remain in a distress state as long as you ruminate.
4. Here are the five top amygdala triggers in the workplace: Condescension and lack of respect. Being treated unfairly. Being unappreciat
Mtbike40
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the subject of emotional intelligence fascinating, even more so it to tie the behaviors to the way our brain functions is even more so. When we see a leader who has strong emotional intelligence, it makes a huge difference. To understand that these individuals have learned to master and in some instances control the natural brain chemistry is helpful. It is a reminder that we each have the ability to think about our behaviors and actions and can develop our ability to have strong emotiona ...more
Luvia Guzman
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amo este tipo de libros y este en especial es como un pequeño libro de pruebas contundentes sobre la existencia de la inteligencia emocional y sobre como se manifiesta y es posible percibirlo y ubicarlo físicamente en las cortezas cerebrales. Siento una profunda admiración por Goleman y por Howard Gardner y su teoría de las inteligencias múltiples.
Francie
The section on brain functions was interesting, but dry. I found the book more interesting once it moved out of the physiology and into the psychology and social aspects of EI. The editing of the book is lacking. Running SpellCheck would have corrected this.
Unit of Raine
Eh. This book (or the kindle version) is really short. Very .... high level? It references some interesting research being done and then ... doesn't really go into any more details. More like a syabus for additional reading.
Dionysis Doul
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A short book-follow up with new insights from neuroscience research that links the topic of emotional intelligence with these findings.
Probably better followed if one has already read Goleman's previous books on EI.
Barb
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice connection of EI to somewhat more recent neuro research, but not book-length worthy. Seemed like every few pages he injected a sentence to tell us some new "brilliant" test or idea he had. Seemed like more of an ego-feeder than a critically needed update.
Sandra M M.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever read on how our brains work in regard to our emotional states. It was very easy to understand. I loved it so much that almost every line of every page is underlined. It’s been awhile since I’ve read it, but wanted to review it now since joining Goodreads.
Mi VaHu
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend reading this book as it teachers you to understand some fuctions of the brain better as well as why some people react the way they do and also how to module our emotions. Its a must read for everyone. ...more
Ypatios Varelas
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goleman presents some very important discoveries of neuroscience in a very digestible form and this alone is a good reason to give this book five stars. Don't get fooled by the small number of pages, that's because there are no "fillers" that would increase the size but add no actual value. Nice!
  • Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Mindfulness, Acceptance, and Positive Psychology: The Seven Foundations of Well-Being
  • Why Motivating People Doesn't Work . . . and What Does: The New Science of Leading, Energizing, and Engaging
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • I Want That!: How We All Became Shoppers
  • Pursuing the Good Life: 100 Reflections on Positive Psychology
  • Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth
  • Saat sen mistä luovut - elämän paradoksit
  • Zarrella's Hierarchy of Contagiousness: The Science, Design, and Engineering of Contagious Ideas
  • Being a Brain-Wise Therapist: A Practical Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine
More about Daniel Goleman...
“alteran la función neuroendocrina y provocan desequilibrios de los sistemas inmunitario y nervioso, de modo que somos más propensos a sufrir enfermedades y nos cuesta pensar con claridad. El ritmo circadiano se trastorna y dormimos mal.” 0 likes
“There can be a downside to the achievement drive: some people become workaholics, completely focused on their work goals and neglecting to live a full life. You can see this in students who are “grinds,” driven to get the highest grades at the sacrifice of everything else in their lives, just as you see it in those successful executives who work 18-hour days all through the week – and in anyone who has perfectionistic standards.” 0 likes