Start by marking “Digger's Story” as Want to Read:
Digger's Story

Digger's Story

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  15 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Why do young men volunteer to go to war—to protect our freedom and democracy? “I don’t bloody think so,” says Digger (David William Barrett).
Does rank give you a right to food when others starve? Digger doesn’t believe so. Officers in Changi found themselves sharing with others no matter how loudly they protested!
How do you survive when beaten, starved and humiliated in a
Paperback, First, 290 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Five Mile Press (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Digger's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger's Story

Brian Robertson
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: completed
Well I think this is a terrific book but this could have something to do with the fact that I wrote it! The book is by David Barrett and Brian Robertson. David told me his story gradually over several years. I did a great deal of research on the subject and the places he mentioned and what other people had written about these places, which David used to tell me very often was a load of crap but gradually we told his story. The date below is roughly when I completed the writing process, about 6 m ...more
Adam
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm glad I grabbed this at the local library. It was worth reading, even if just for Digger's journey of forgiveness and reconciliation. I did find it slightly uneven with some parts more gripping than others.
Lisa Kearns
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while I come across a book that totally absorbs me into the story. I read it whenever I can steal a few minutes, and think about it when I'm busy elsewhere. As I turn the last pages, I'm emotionally drained and feel bereft that the story is over. Usually I go right to my computer to research the subject, and I know I'll have the story in my mind the rest of my life. Digger's Story is one of those books.

Digger was the nickname for David Barrett, an Aussie born in 1922. He joined the mil
Paul
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Digger's Story: Surviving the Japanese POW Camps Was Just the Beginning, David Barrett & Brian Robertson, Amazon Digital Services, 2012
(Kindle Book Review)

This is the chronicle of one person's life as a Prisoner of War in World War II, and his life after he returned home.

Barrett was your average Australian teenager who enlisted in the military for some adventure, and to escape a difficult home life. He found himself in an ambulance corps in Malaysia, near Singapore. The average soldier knew
Roger Penfound
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
`Diggers Story' is a highly engaging and dramatic account of one man's survival as a prisoner of war of the Japanese during World War Two. Expertly written by Brian Roberston, the book tells the true story of David Barratt (Digger) who enlisted as a young man in the Australian army and soon found himself a prisoner of The Japanese following the disastrous Allied surrender of Singapore.
He was despatched to work as a medic on the notorious Thai - Burma railway where he witnessed many acts of terri
Pamela Lamb
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know Brian Robertson who wrote this book in collaboration with Digger Barrett as we were part of the same writing group at the time. We spent many happy evenings discussing aspects of Brian's research into Digger's story and I was keen to read the book when it was published. I found Digger's story to be an honest portrayal of one man's experience in what was a horrific period in history. Digger had the knack of getting the best out of any situation. He was also compassionate towards his fellow ...more
Stephen
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
It's an easy to read story of one soldier's experiences at the hands of the Japanese as a Prisoner of War. Simply written, a little too upbeat at times - I struggled to believe that some-one in that situations could see a positive in everything.

I think that there are a lot better written books of this genre but if you are interested in reading this type of story it's a good start
Simon Keogh
Jul 14, 2013
Rhonda
Nov 05, 2012
Aug 18, 2012
Jenna Baldwin
May 20, 2015
Wendy Marshall
rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2014