Start by marking “What Hides Within” as Want to Read:
What Hides Within

What Hides Within

An award-winning horror/mystery with loads of dark comedy!

Inside all of us, there is darkness. Inside Clive, it's tangible, and it's aching to get out.

What Hides Within tells the story of a man held captive by an unknown evil. Clive Menard is a spineless slacker leading an ordinary existence. But when Chester enters his life, it becomes far from ordinary.

A disheveled Clive
Kindle Edition, First, 347 pages
Published July 25th 2012 by Double Dragon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Hides Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Hides Within

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Well shit.

The first part of this book was pretty dang good. I liked Clive. He was a bit of a dork but still likeable. The story flowed smoothly. I laughed..I was creeped out. Frigging spiders.

The second part..well it kinda bit boogers. I don't know what the heck happened. Too much alcohol? I know I've done it too. The story goes all over the place. I didn't care anymore. It just could have been so very much more.
I know it's the author's first book. I did like it enough that I will give his othe
Char (Tacky Genre Buff)
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spiders!!! I don't like them! But by opening this book, I asked for it, and I got exactly what I deserved.

This is the story of Clive and his deliberate trip, by boat, through the biggest spider web he had ever seen. Why he would destroy such a thing of beauty, I don't know, but he sure did pay for it. Shortly after the web-destroying boat ride, Clive feels something blocking up his ear. Yeah... you know what that was, don't you?

I liked the character of Clive with all of his juvenile humor and s
Paul Nelson
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I will never look at a little spider with the same nonchalance again and I mean ever. I don’t mind saying that while reading this book and since finishing it, if I get a little tickle up the nose or in my ear, no shame attached - my finger is straight in there or up there. Just in case because well, you never know do you. And if I go through a strand of web, what quickly follows is almost a dance of epic craziness to make sure there’s nothing on me, with full slaps, the lot.

I loved this book, th
Kimberly
WHAT HIDES WITHIN, by Jason Parent, was originally released in 2012.  It is now being re-released by Bloodshot Books, with revised content and an all new cover design.  I enjoyed this book immensely the first time I read it (my first novel by Jason Parent), but I must admit that this new edition is a much smoother, more professional quality book overall.  I caught several key moments that really added to my understanding of the characters here.

We begin with Clive, an unmotivated man without any
Evans Light
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As assured a debut novel as any I've read, What Hides Within defies both expectations and classification with cleverness and style. Is it horror? Comedy? Crime thriller? Supernatural mystery? The answer is difficult to pin down, but that didn't keep me from enjoying evey second of this book.

When I first started reading, I was expecting a light horror comedy somewhere in the vicinity of JOHN DIES AT THE END or THIS BOOK IS FULL OF SPIDERS, maybe even shades of DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGE
Ken McKinley
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle, horror
What started out as an innocent trip on the river, paddling around with your girlfriend, ended up headfirst into a huge spider's web. The next thing Clive knows, he's hearing a voice from within, and it's telling him to do things. Clive, the poor bastard, doesn't know if he's losing his mind or if he really has a talking spider communicating with him deep inside his head.

Jason Parent's latest tale is one of the most unique offerings I've ever read. He's created such great characters in this one
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Arachnophobes
The itsy bitsy spider crawled into Clive's brain.

It made him hear voices and drove him quite insane.
Nothing could save him, not even John Goodman.
And the itsy bitsy spider wreaked havoc everywhere.

We all know in most books, there always is a twist.
Go ahead and read this one just for the kicks.
I know you won't be disappointed simply because,
it has a cutesy little spider who's totally adorbs.

3.5 ninja bunnehs weaving webs
David Brian
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Well, that was a thoroughly engrossing read.
you have to give credit to a novel which features child murder, a brain chomping arachnid, and terrorism... and then manages to deliver with an array of sharp, at times laugh-out-loud, one-liners.

What Hides Within is categorized as a horror novel, but, despite the subject matter, i'm not sure I'd entirely agree. It starts out very much as black comedy. Some of Clive's comments and observations, certainly during the first half of the book, are
Angel Gelique
While kayaking, Clive Menard and his friend Morgan paddle to a remote part of the pond they have never ventured to before. They come across an old, dilapidated bridge/overpass where Clive discovers a massive, ominous-looking spider web. It's clear that the area hasn't been disturbed in a very long time. Morgan grows wary about continuing down such an isolated path, but Clive is determined to embark upon unchartered territory.
"It's just a little spider web," he tells Morgan as he desecrates the w
Michael Benavidez
At first I thought this was a funny, dark, mindless thriller. I was wrong. It is smart. Very smart, and amazingly crafted. Several story lines weaved into one story, with characters that'll make you laugh and just hate. Even the hateful characters will make you laugh.
There's a lot to say, but I can't think of what to say.

It's a horror. That's a given. The horror aspect gives a feeling of paranoia, it really digs into your bones when shit gets going.
There's a mystery involved as well. This part
Meghan
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved this book. I know, I know ... I've said it before ... but I only say it about books that I really do love.

The main character (Clive) is awesome. I love his attitude, personality and witty comebacks. His conversation with the doctor at the beginning ... he thinks the same way I do. You just can't help but laugh at him ... or maybe with him ...

His niece, though, is my favorite character. You just feel for her and all she has to go through, you want to take her in your arms and just
Kimberly
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up for originality, and that all important "CREEPY" factor!

WHAT HIDES WITHIN is a complex narrative combining a bomb-weilding sociopath, an unmotivated man whose best friend talks to him from inside of his head, and a no-nonsense detective. Add in a plethora of sarcasm-laced interludes, and Jason Parent has penned a riveting novel that crosses over several genres. This one will keep you on your toes all throughout, questioning everything you "think" you know is happening. From
Amber Foxx
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book strikes me as having been published prematurely. I found it frustrating to pay for a promising book and end up feeling like a beta reader of a work in progress. I think of a book starting out with five stars when I decide to buy it, and keeping a certain number as I read it.

This one kept two because it has a clever plot idea, and the writer shows some innate ability. There are scenes where the horror works. The frightening imagery in these episodes is masterful. The spider details are
Gregor Xane
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
What Hides Within is a solid debut horror novel built on a mystery/suspense engine. The author manages to combine serial bomber, child murderer, and supernatural plotlines effectively. There were a few times where I thought the characters made odd choices that seemed to only serve the plot instead of doing what you’d think any average Joe would do in the given situation. Well, as it turned out, (in almost all instances, I’d say), these “bugs” in the narrative turned out to be “features” later on ...more
Lily Vagabond
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although I really enjoyed the plot, had to, sadly, rip off one star. A moment of silence please.

The book does need a lot of editing and I feel the first chapter should be cut. I know that's painful for any author. Using an introduction chapter that's set in the future can be a nice effect, setting the tone, and hinting at what's to come. I don't feel it works in this case. The first chapter is an out of context moment of slapstick comedy, cute for what it is, but in my opinion, it does a disserv
Bill
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It just so happens that I am not a big fan of spiders no matter how small or harmless. As a matter of fact, I hate spiders and this dude (Clive) has cobwebs coming out of his nose and an ancient evil arachnid named Chester living inside his brain, making him slowly go insane. Nasty. Bummer for Clive.

Jason Parent puts out a very strong debut novel with What Hides Within. There is a lot going on here - murder, terrorism, betrayal, brain surgery, kidnapping, all sprinkled with a little dash of love
Evans Light
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, weird-stuff

Adam Light
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What Hides Within was a fantastic book. I admit, I wasn't sure what was happening at first, but the further I read the more I realized that was the whole idea. Jason has created quite the intricately plotted story here. As I whipped through the pages at a death-defying pace, it became quite clear that I was being taunted, toyed with and then blissfully pacified only to find my expectations turned inside out again.
The writing is tight and very descriptive and, much to my delight, devoid of mistak
Frank Errington
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

What Hides Within takes off at a torrid pace and barely lets up for a minute before it's exciting conclusion.

Clive stared under the bridge, intending to view the travel conditions beyond it. What he beheld was as magnificent as it was unnerving. His mouth dropped open in awe of the animalistic artistry. In the cool, damp darkness, an intricate mass of webbing sheathed the bridge’s undercarriage like a drape woven in silk by the most skilled of weavers. Its beautiful yet ominous patter
Amanda Lyons
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what I thought of What Hides Within when I first started reading it. In the opening half of the novel there are so many surreal things going on that you sort of think you might be watching a late night B movie in your head. But then you start getting all the finer bits of the story and everything starts falling into place.I really enjoyed it.

What Hides Within is one of those unique books you have a hard time pinning down. While there are elements of horror there are also so many ot
Kaisersoze
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
A well-written debut novel from a talented writer, What Hides Within is difficult to categorize accurately. After all, how does a talking, intelligent spider that lives in people's heads and invades their thoughts, gel with a child murder, a spate of deadly bombings, and main character Clive's efforts to glide through life without making any effort at all?

Part supernatural-horror, part slacker-comedy, part mystery-crime-thriller, What Hides Within is all of these things and more. As a horror, I
Catherine
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend What Hides Within. It is very effective on two levels. On a literal level, the plot is fast-moving, the characters are realistic, and the climax is exciting. It is well-written and concise. As I approached the mid-point of the story, I didn't want to put the book down.

On a symbolic level, the title and the theme of the novel invite the reader to take a closer look at himself and society in general. What can be the trigger for certain thoughts and actions? Who is capable of wh
Carla Natali
I liked this book, you can definitely see that Jason Parents writing style was influenced by Joe Hill (whom I love!). Even though I believe this book could be shorter than it was (sometimes I wanted to say: I got it already, stop repeating yourself!) in the end it was an interesting story and certainly original. ...more
WendyB
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own
Twisted, funny, kinda icky.... really enjoyed the story with lots of strange people.
I keep wondering if Raid squirted through the ear would have taken care of that pesky spider. :)
Stuart Keane
As a reader, I have two favourite genres. Horror and crime-thrillers. If you take a gander at my bookshelf you'll see the usual suspects. Lee Child, Stephen King, Robert Crais, Richard Laymon. For me, these two genres go hand in hand, often verging into one another - Richard Laymon himself confessed to being more a thriller writer than horror - and creating a unique and often underutilized sub genre: The horror-crime thriller. Some may argue that many traits between the two are similar but it's ...more
Jannah
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spiders. Need I say more? I had nightmares for days. There is nothing better than a horror story that has you twitching long after you've finished. Definitely Recommended.
Sarah Roberts
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
One part thriller + One part horror + One part comedy? = What Hides Within.

An author can take something many find funny, like clowns, and turn it into something creepy. He or she can also take something creepy, like spiders, and turn it into something creepy on so many levels it borders on the absurd – but in a good way. This book does the later.

At times irreverent, action-packed, and suspenseful, What Hides Within by Jason Parent entangles the reader in a web of murder, bombs, inter-office shen
Bill Ward
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are afraid of spiders this might not be the best book to read! It is an unusual book that is decidedly 'creepy' in places, verging I suppose on horror but much of the book is a fast paced thriller.
I found elements of the story unsettling but never wanted to stop reading! In fact, I couldn't put the book down and read it in about three days.
There are some interesting and vivid characters who are really brought to life by good writing. The main character Clive is living a mundane life unti
Nev Murray
Review pending.
Teresa B.
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!.. I guess I would call it charlotte's web gone bad..Tons of twists and very very funny in a dark way.

Its very well written and not predicatable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Crawl
  • Six Dead Spots
  • Creature
  • Bear Naked
  • The Tent
  • Savage Species
  • Don't Need No Water
  • The Beginning (Precipice, #1)
  • The Sea Was a Fair Master
  • Ugly As Sin
  • City Under the Moon
  • Die Dog or Eat the Hatchet
  • Your Name, In Fire (Vampire Geek Cycle, #1)
  • A Zombie Christmas
  • Gone
  • Worm
In his head, Jason Parent lives in many places, but in the real world, he calls New England his home. The region offers an abundance of settings for his writing and many wonderful places in which to write them. He currently resides in Southeastern Massachusetts with his cuddly corgi named Calypso.

In a prior life, Jason spent most of his time in front of a judge . . . as a civil litigator. When he
“Phew!” he said, all the pieces apparently gathered in his open hand. “No sharp edges at least. It looks like I just broke off one corner. Anyone got any Superglue? If not, this broken-off part is just a little piece. He probably won’t miss it.” 1 likes