Start by marking “The United States of Air: a Satire” as Want to Read:
The United States of Air: a Satire

The United States of Air: a Satire

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The National Sewer Agency is spying on people's toilets, looking for food terrorists...

Food Enforcement Agent Jason Frolick believes in America. He believes in eating air. He struggles to get the food monkey off his back. As part of the Global War on Fat, his job is to put food terrorists in Fat Camp.

When a pizza dealer gets whacked in the park across the street from the T
ebook, epub, 225 pages
Published August 8th 2012 by J.M. Porup

To ask other readers questions about The United States of Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The United States of Air

Mesha
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaways. First of all, I would very much like to point out that this is the very first book I've read that fascinated me with its chapter and a half, five eights and ninety-eight one-hundreths. Fun to see. So one point for originality.

"See the change you wish to be." Just the starting message of the book will make you want to root for the naive main character, The United States of Air's only hope, Agent Frolick. The thing about this story is it wan
Adam Luebke
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first chapter of J.M. Porup’s new satire, The United States of Air, I thought, this is going to be wacky. A global war on fat? Waged by America? Destroy all food? Live by eating air alone? By the second chapter I was hooked.

The Prophet takes America by storm. Announces if elected he would begin a worldwide war on food, and that eating is the basic source of all America’s woes. It doesn’t take very many pages for the reader to understand how skilled Porup is, and how easily he c
Adela Cacovean
Originally published on my blog:

I won this book thanks to Goodreads First Reads Giveaways. Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy it at all.
I wasn't even the slightest bit amused by the jokes in this book. It was way too exaggerated for my taste and as much as I hate not finishing books, I was so annoyed after 100 pages that I had to drop it. I honestly don't know how I managed to get that far. I thought it might get better, but instead it only got worse and wors
Ian
I received this book as a LibraryThing give away in return for a review.
Don't believe the blub that the book is a satire on the so called War on Terror, it goes much further than that. I like my satire subtle and pointed whereas The United States Of Air is in your face, lampooning everything which smacks of zealous, centralised, control and the willingness of a populace to suck up fear and propoganda on the basis that it must be good for them and that dissenters must therefore be an enemy.
Where
Ann Jenelle Rotol
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Do you have a copromania? Then this book is definitely for you! :))

The United States of Air is a satire about the way people look at food, (defecation) and the government. A combination that's not seldom used in literature but it works for me.

The message this book tells is definitely delivered in a farce. Some moments are just plain ridiculous but it serves its purpose to show the, contradicting, intuitive message it wants to convey: the right way to eat food and the dynamics in political matter
Alytha
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through Goodreads giveaways. Many thanks to the author (or his publisher? ;) ) for putting many many more books up for grabs than other authors! :)

I actually really liked this book. It is told from the limited first person point of view of Jason Frolick, a government agent, whose picture you would find if you looked up "naive" in the dictionary.
I liked how this restricted source of information really drew you into the absurdity of the whole system, while also allowing you to rea
Lary
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulling no punches Porup takes aim directly at the heart of America's "Policemen of the World" mentality, and in doing so, exposes some of what America doesn't understand about itself. He does it in a satirical, backhanded and often hilarious way. Watch for the little things that remind you of the other things. Yes it's over the top. Yes, you will groan sometimes. Yes, it takes a dirty nailed finger and pokes America's bruised ego. But in all great satire there is truth, and it's here.
Ray Daley
Feb 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear.

This book showed really great promise, a wacky idea where America has abandoned its pursuit of food and abolished eating calories.

The whole faux redneckisms like the misspelling of terrorist and foreign and foreigner. Funny at first, annoying as hell after seeing it more than 10 times.

The whole concept of Fat Camps that are at first places like Guantanamo but later more like Auschwitz.

The story has a decent enough plot, an agent investigating a murder that the secret service seem to be d
Nukalurk
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, novels
Great book! It’s a fast-paced story which crams in lots of points but doesn’t overwhelm you. Just too much poo, in my opinion. It is obvious that the author really knows what he is talking about, and fully capable of presenting it in a humorous manner.
Avantika Chatterjee
I received this book on Goodreads give-away and was totally astonished to read the kind of concept being introduced in this book. This is my first satire read and I must say it is really out of the box thinking. I really appreciate the way Mr. Porup has really gone broken all boundaries of experimentation with literature and created such an amazing concept. The United States of Air is based on a global war against FAT, surviving on air alone and being proud of it. Oh well, now one doesn't have t ...more
Karen
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The War on Drugs.
The War on Terror.
The War on Fat.

So we're talking satire, with as much subtlety as a politician on the election campaign. Which is not my favourite sort of satire I've got to admit. So THE UNITED STATES OF AIR and I struggled to come to an understanding from the beginning.

You can see the point it's trying to make - the willingness of people to believe any old garbage spouted at them from "on high" - whether the "on high" is religious, political, some combination of both or just
Cristina Torrão
I won this book here at first reads.

This book was a really funny experience!

What would it be like if the president of the USA implemented his ideals of non-food air-only diet into the entire country? This country would have its name changed to "The United States of Air" and its president would be adressed as "The Prophet". What would his people be like? Fanatics who only eat air or food terrorists? How would the law succeed in prohibit food consumption? What would happen to diabetic patients who
Steve
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The was a Goodreads giveaway book (Thank you very much)

The story is about (one assumes) the absurdity of the Bush government and pokes fun at ideology in general by creating a 'prophet'/president who believes that eating food is an addiction that should be forcibly cured.

The idea that people follow such absurdity and lie to themselves in order to survive is a fair observation and it is milked for all it is worth in this book.

The problem I have had with the concept and the execution of it all is
Tom Williams
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel nervous of admitting how much I enjoyed this book. The humour is often puerile and the poo jokes get a bit wearing after a while, but I did laugh a lot. And much of the satire is sharp as well as funny. The scattergun approach focuses mainly on the War on Terror, although the War on Drugs gets a pasting too. Mad ayatollahs and the unthinking zealots who follow them are not immune either.

The book is well written and easy to read. Unlike a lot of satires, there is a plot and I found myself
M
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

Careful! The NSA is watching ...

Normally, I begin these reviews by thanking Goodreads, but this time I’d like to thank the author, Mr. Porup, for making it possible for me to read and review this book. My copy was inexplicably lost in the mail, so when I reported this loss Mr. Porup and his associates became involved and sent me another. Thanks again!

I truly enjoyed this book. It made me snicker and chuckle, and was just an overall pleasure to read. I know some people were bothered by the toilet
Nicki Brøchner
I have never before READ a satire, so I had no idea of what to expect. I found the premise and subject promising, but unfortunately where the execution lacking.

Primarily I had two problems with this story. First of all there were too many poop jokes, that didn’t really work on paper but probably would be perfect for television. So I am left with the suspicion that the author has written this satire as a pitch for a movie rather than a story for me, as the reader.

Secondly I simply don’t buy tha
Ercsi91
Nov 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first impression I thought I would like to read about the idea of a satire about the United States..but further on...I just couldn't enjoy this book...first of all...all the anti-food thing...made me very uncomfortable...yeah I know too much is bad but seriously...TERRORISM..the concept scared me...also I couldn't sympathize with the main character, who in exchange for loosing his loved ones does not realize his own and all of his "kinds" stupidity...and in the end of the book this fact just ...more
Nicole
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway about a year ago. This was my first ever satire and it was not what I was expecting at all. I really did not enjoy this book. Maybe the fact that it was a satire made the concepts go right over my head. I just kept hoping for the main character to have a turn around and believe something new and it never happened. The synopsis makes it sound like the book has promise, but it really didn't fulfill that promise with me. Another thing is that they like to tal ...more
*Giulia*
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaways, I'm waiting for the delivery, can't wait to read it! ^^

Update:
It has finally arrived! Let's see how it is...

I have never read a satire before, and it leaves me uncertain ... I dare say that for a person with food disases it feeds a certain distaste for the food itself, or so it was in my case. However it made me laugh at certain points and the book is well written, the narrative flows well, making it a fairly quick read.
So what can I say?
Jaishree
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a First Reads giveaway.

I have always loved satires and this one was particularly amusing with a whimsical touch. While it pokes fun, it also has truth to it. The Prophet claims that food is the root of all evil in America and decides to live on air. It's both absurd and intriguing at the same time. It is a brilliant story that could have been better written. At some parts I had to force myself to keep reading. It could do with some refining.

Overall, I did enjoy the
Annamarie Redding
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
A very clever satire indeed.

This book can be read on two levels; the superficial one which is where it is just a tale and a deeper, cynical look at the way the world works.

It's cleverly written and involving. Not hard work to read and yet still compelling. It's very black in places and not the sort of book I read very often, however I was gripped after the first chapter.

I'd recommend this book as an exploratory foray into J M Porup's world of books.
Pinaki
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
When I started reading the book I felt it was very absurd imagining US of Air where air is the only thing to eat. But as you go on reading the book grows on you and then it starts bombarding you with a lot of poo-poo and wee-wee jokes. But below all this the author beautifully hides the sarcasm showing a flawed and corrupt government of today and it is because of this that criminals roam free in broad daylight mocking the world. You have to 'see the change you wish to be.'
Dr. Robert Jones MD PhD DDS ODD
I loathe this book and its dastardly author. This Porup, this Judas, is a traitor to The United States of Air, an illegal emigrant, and a food terrist. Because of his doubt, our ability to digest air is compromised. We could starve to death because of him!

So why, perhaps, you ask, am I rating his book five stars?

It's very strange. I don't quite understand it myself. It's almost as though... there was a hand... up my back... like I was a... sock puppet or something...
Gerri Watkins
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this complimentary copy in exchange for review from www.LibraryThing.com

Quite a parody! I could not help but laugh out loud. Loved the whol ''food police" bit. And the ditsy ATFF agents Frolick and Green, what a pair they made, they are what made this such a comedy. I do look forward to reading more from this author!
Aprille
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The United States of Air (USA) is a brilliant novel. At first, I didn't expect much about the content and flow of the story because I thought it is just the normal mundane storyline. But as I went on, it proved me wrong. It is very unique and captivating, definitely worth your time.
Azhureheart
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autre
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I enjoyed reading this one. It's funny - very much so at times, especially for a French girl like myself - some scenes were hilarious but sometimes it was a bit too much and sometimes it lacked subtlety. Still a nice read.
Thallys
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. And yet, a little sad, because although it's only a satire, it's not really that far from reality.

Although it may seem silly at the beginning, the plot really gets engaging (and maybe a little gross). I tottaly recommend.
Karen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to give a run down of the storyline, that's what the blurb is for. This book is humorous, if a little gross at times (a lot of talk about poo, all too descriptive) but despite this comes across with a subtle kick of "look how ridiculous the world is getting".
Sharon
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-t-finish
I tried, heaven knows I tried. I normally enjoy satire but this just pounded away at one theme. Could not in any way relate to (stupid) central character or the actual stupidity of the premise.
Kristina
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
too funny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Aussie Lovers of...: Taking the p*** out of the War on Terror 1 24 Oct 01, 2012 02:27PM
Dystopian (And Ot...: a funny dystopia 1 14 Sep 21, 2012 07:11PM
Relaxing Fun: A satire that mocks the so-called War on Terror 1 8 Sep 21, 2012 07:04PM
  • Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey
  • Earth To Kat Vespucci
  • Philosophy: A Discovery in Comics
  • Who Shot The Sheriff?
  • Bahama Breeze
  • Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft: A Horror Comedy Mash-Up featuring Shakespeare's Characters and Lovecraft's Creatures
  • The Light and the Dark
  • Time Out, Tune In, Turn On: Live the Path of Your Heart
  • The Fossil Artist
  • Food-Free at Last: How I Learned to Eat Air
  • Becoming a Superhero: Based on a True Story
  • Secrets of a Summer Village
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
How does technology change what it means to be human? J.M. Porup is a journalist and futurologist who studies how exponentially-increasing innovation disrupts the social and political order. He is also the CEO of the LatAm Startups Angel Funds, a Latin America-based accelerator focused on scaling startups globally. He has covered computer security for The Economist, Bitcoin for Bitcoin Magazine, a ...more
More about J.M. Porup...